Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spur to outdoor socket

Options
  • 23-05-2022 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

I want to take a link off an indoor socket, go through the wall and install an outdoor socket.

I want to put an IP66 switch on it

Do I need a 1 way 1 gang switch?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or would I be better to put a switch beside the socket indoors and then go through the wall to the outdoor socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

In my house there is a plug under the sink in kitchen, there is a hole drilled from there to the outside and a water proof enclosure/socket. This was how it was installed when i purchased the house, I haven't ever had a problem with this.

I think putting a switch is probably a bit of an overkill unless you want the flexibility to isolate outdoor completely.

I'm not an electrician.

Yes I’d like to isolate it completely hence the switch tks

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Ability to fully isolate any outdoor circuits/sockets etc that may be subject to water or rain is a good idea. In the event of problem tripping, it is then easy to eliminate or implicate the outdoor items as the cause.

So anyone any ideas please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

switch should be double pole to completely isolate the outside socket

a light switch type will not stop rcd tripping if the socket gets wet

Single pole switch is not in any way suitable alright, and to isolate any possible faults outside during nuisance tripping requires a double pole.

But on a matter of interest, water is unlikely to trip rcd with the phase disconnected. It won't create a low enough impedance link from N to E to trip an RCD usually. The higher the load current flowing that could be diverted through the N to E fault though, the easier a N to E fault can trip the RCD. But generally, a more or less direct N to E short is required.

Anyway for the OP, a 20 amp double pole isolating switch is what should be used.

Thanks

Is it possible to connect the cable (drilling through the wall) to an existing socket in the house? (could then use an outdoor socket that has individual switches on it - the outdoor socket will be in a covered area where no water gets at all) ?

like this..

existing socket in house

take off cover and drill through to outside

connect cable to existing socket in house

connect other end to socket with switch built in the dry location i want it

That work ?

Appreciate the help thus far.

Edit: I didnt see your last post properly.

Once a socket is outdoors it should be an outdoor socket unless it's inside a proper weatherproof area. Check the circuit you are spurring off is a 20 amp mcb circuit as well, rather than a ring main 32 amp.

If it is a single outdoor point I probably wouldn't bother with isolator inside, especially if it's in a relatively dry area outside.

Post edited by Bruthal. on

• Advertisement

Yes your idea should work ok. I edited last post as hadn't seen your last one properly.

Advertisement