Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill a kerria japonica

Options
  • 23-05-2022 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

This shrub is out of control in my garden, suckering everywhere.

I tried to remove it a couple of years ago but the roots are extremely deep and impossible to dig up.

It's in a bed with lots of plants I do want also so it's a bit difficult to just treat it with round up or similar.

Has anyone had this issue? Any tips for killing it without killing everything else in the bed as well?

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Roundup and wallpaper paste mix and paint it on avoiding other plants and possible wash off when it rains.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Lethal injection - roundup or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Use something waterproof to wrap around the bush - polythene supported by canes for example, it only has to stand for a couple of days. Choose a dry, non-windy day and spray within the protective barrier, don't worry about the suckers, they are still part of the same root system. Allow to dry then remove the barrier. You may have to re-do it a couple of months later.

Edit - this assumes you are using glyphospate/round up or similar that penetrates to the roots. The plant will continue to look healthy for anything up to 2 weeks, just wait.

The long stems are very flexible, if they are too tall for a barrier fold them over loosely and tie them down - not too tight or the spray will not get into the middle of the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm assuming this is small suckers comming up all over? Another method I've use is a plastic bag containing roundup mix secured over the green stem or cut stem.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Yes, small suckers popping up all over the bed, well I say small but I saw with dismay at the weekend they've grown to about 4 feet since I last looked! Seems to love the current weather.

So, great, thanks a million everyone, great ideas there. I'll try wrapping the main bush so in plastic and treating that heavily beneath and hope it spreads to the suckers as well?

I have gel roundup, is that strong enough or should I pick up something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Roundup will do it, though something like the kerria will probably need a few treatments. Gel is more designed for spot treatment so it will be a lot slower to apply enough to the shrub to be effective, spray would be easier and quicker. Yes, the Roundup should get into the roots and kill the suckers 'from the bottom up' but no harm to treat them individually with the gell, if you are careful you should be able to treat just the suckers without affecting anything else.

Brilliant. I'll pick up the spray so for the main bush. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭HorseSea

LoL, I am wondering why ours died this year after five of six great years. Luckily it was in a contained bed so could not spread beyond 4 feet. Maybe that's why it died. Looks like I had a lucky escape. Just to dig up the dead bush now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I had a bed overrun with it last year and decided to tidy it up. I cut all of it back, pulled out as many stems as possible (came away easily) and waited for a reduced showing this year. There's hardly any of it left this year and I hadn't wanted to get rid of it entirely. 😥

Hah I did similar Jim, and am OVERRUN!!!!

If there's still some there I'd say it will come back for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've seen them do that for no particular reason, though they seem to have a habit of dying off in the centre and regrowing through runners

Update! That worked pretty well. I wrapped 2 of the clumps in plastic and treated with SBK, and both now look quite quite dead.

The rest of the bed escaped unscathed. Alas so did the clump I did not bother treating directly. I was hoping they all shared a root system (since I only planted one plant originally!) but I guess not. Will treat that one when the weather is a bit more amenable to work outside.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Advertisement