Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Every team in world football would play Trent,stop the nonsense, woeful ...good grief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

The whole Trent thing is tired at this stage. He is a wonderful footballer being asked to play a position and role that don't match with traditional expectations of themselves and gets judged on that historical view of what a right back is.

That's where Klopp wants him, should really be enough for ppl

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Robbo slighty better than woeful?

Ive heard it all now 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He's made some really important blocks/last ditch challenges in just the last couple of weeks. He's been excellent this season defensively in my opinion

The best thing about having woeful fullbacks is they've 33 assists between them in all comps , and are leading the way with clean sheets in the EPL this season.

Woeful is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

any time I hear 'Trent is bad defensively', I honestly just shake my head.

the only ones who peddle it are either trolling, or they don't understand the Klopp system.

Trent is not expected to do what a traditional right back does. Klopp's current system is partly designed to accentuate the brilliance that Trent offers. This is why Liverpool's midfield tends to be underrated, and why you can spot someone who doesn't watch Liverpool games a mile off. Our press is so efficient, that the midfield end up sweeping up for the full backs, as designed.

He can defend fine, but he is not primarily there to defend his goal. He is primarily there to put pressure on the opposition's defence with his outrageous passing ability. He puts the ball in places nobody else can from his position. that is what Klopp expects from him.

If your preferred system needs your right back to be able to run up and down the flanks and put in brilliant challenges, go ahead.

Klopp has decided to build a system around the guy's ridiculous talent on the ball. Gareth Southgate will either never start Trent, or Trent will always look very ordinary at RB for England, because he looks at football the way managers did a decade or more ago. So Trent will be expected to defend, overlap and do that traditional, boring, non-innovative stuff. and so for the rest of his career, he'll get 'you can't defend' thrown at him.

it's grand. he can retire from international football at 27 because they're a bunch of eejits, and we'll keep him to ourselves until he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nah, there are numerous examples of Alexander-Arnold having bad defensive lapses that have directly contributed to goalscoring chances. It's incorrect to label these as entirely symptomatic of Klopp's tactics. They are down to him losing his man, mistiming a tackle, and so forth. Unforced errors, basically.

This isn't to be unexpected. He's 23, and likely won't master the defensive side of his game for a few years yet. Attacking-wise, he is a phenomenon. But it's entirely fair to point out that he has shortcomings in his game. The only reason it hasn't been more of a talking point is that he plays in an exceptional side that can compensate for these moments, as happened against Villarreal.

I'm not saying he's not had weak moments defensively. that'd be absurd to say. as I say, he's fine defensively, and the numbers back it up in terms of duels etc.

but with the way the role of the RB has evolved in this system, he's not expected to be defending in the same way RBs of yesteryear do. and yes, that is partly down to how good a team he plays in.

So if we're saying his weak defensively, it's akin to saying Beckham was weak defensively, because Trent isn't really a RB in any traditional sense. they both occupy the same side of the field and I would guess that their heat maps would be similar, and they both have cover behind them most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

UEFA: "We strongly advise fans without a ticket not to travel to Paris"

Klopp in his press conference this afternoon: "Paris is big enough that fans should travel even if they don't have a ticket if they can"

😀 Love the man. He gets it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The problem with comparing him to Beckham is that Beckham wasn't expected to hold a high defensive line, or ward off marauding wide players. If we take the recent derby game TAA had against Gordon as an example, he was bested in several of those personal duels. That's not Klopp's tactics. It is true that Klopp plays a style that affords a lot of space to be attacked, but the onus is still on the RB to do his job correctly. And it's not like this is the first time in football we've seen a RB allowed to bomb on. Dani Alves was doing this for years at Barca.

If the argument is, 'TAA has defensive frailities but it's a price to pay because of the insane attacking options he brings', that's an argument I'd understand, and indeed agree with. But a lot of Liverpool fans seem to be arguing he doesn't have defensive frailties, which plainly doesn't add up when we consider the evidence before our eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We're just fortunate to have bad full backs that won't be poached by one of the big clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I agreed with all your examples I find it funny Irish pundits ie hook, dunphy Spillane to name a few generally tear players to shreds

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Ah it’s a lazy line wafflers come out with that TAA is a poor defender. Rashford rinsed him once about 6 years ago and it’s been the talk ever since. Trent can defend, no problem. It’s Liverpool’s system that allows him to advance with hendo and matip/konate being aware.

do people need him to sit in all the time like Martin keown did in order to be classed as a good defender.

elite level full backs are only backs by name these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's mad alright, particularly how much of it likely goes back to historical national perception. The UK has always been self-celebratory with its colonial history, and I think that's something that's never left their image of themselves and the language used when it comes to 'englishness' on all subjects, from politics to sport. It's somewhat taboo to paint the national image in a negative light regardless of context. Think that applies to most superpowers really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've gone back a bit and can;t find much to find the timing. Sure, his team have thrown away two-goal leads frequently, but I couldn't find all that many "quick fire" doubles.

I'd agree that there could be something he's transmitting to the players though. And it's not going to get any easier from here - Barca and Real will be stronger next year.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Out of nothing.

So a 36 team league with teams playing 8 games over 10 match days.

Top 8 go through to the round of 16 while 9th to 24th will go into the play-off round.

Same format for the Europa League and Conference League.

Two of the 4 new places will be awarded to the countries who have performed best in the previous season in all of the European comps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks like they are looking at the top leagues more. Not unexpected

Going by an article by Dale Johnston with the new system the knock-out system will change too with the top 8 being seeded in the round of 16 with 1st and 2nd being at opposite sides of the draw. It will be like Tennis and such where the top seed will play the lowest ranked team and so on. There will also be no country protection.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

New format sounds all kinds of awful. Also uefa moving in on domestic leagues being able to televise midweek games, though some exceptions were made this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So frustrating. They have the best football tournament in the world as it stands - just leave it alone. And if you have to feck with the group stages, then definitely leave the knockouts alone!

Domestic leagues always had to ask UEFA for permission to televise top division games that clashed with European games, but lower league games were fine which is why championship games were fine to be shown.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes I know, but now there are more champions league game nights and they'll keep trying to increase it, putting a greater squeeze on gamedays/nights for domestic leagues and it's partly why we saw Thursday games last week that saw teams in the relegation race and title race makeup being forced to play 2 games in less than 72 hours which is nuts at this stage of the season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's Final Day !!

The eagerly anticipated rematch between Real Madrid and Liverpool is upon is!

Lots of talk about how the pitch might cut up as apparently it was very recently relayed - concert there last week.

Every player involved will look forward to the game, Salah in particular after his last meeting with them in the final.

All to play for but I am of the belief that Liverpool are the better team and will win.

3-1 Liverpool, having been 3-0 up.....

The hot weather should help with the pitch but still it's crazy they held training there yesterday if there's concerns over it.

As Klopp said though, both teams play on the same pitch so it's even.

I think I've started feeling less confident the closer it gets. But I think we'll score 1 anyway so it's whether we can keep them out or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Absolutely idiotic that this wasnt foreseen.

Could they not have picked another venue which wasnt hosting concerts the week before, there is hardly a shortage of venues.

Remember though that they only moved the final to Paris at the end of February due to the Ukraine invasion.

There's a huge amount of logistics, policing etc outside of just the stadium itself and cities normally get more than a year to prepare.

So they needed to find somewhere at short notice that fits all their needs. A concert big enough for that stadium must have already been planned before February for the same reasons, so I'm sure they knew about it, it might just have been something they had to accept in order to get a venue suitable for the scale of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Lots of interesting tactical battles & selections across the pitch.

I think the Real Madrid team fairly picks itself and then the big decisions for Klopp is Konate or Matip and the midfield with the recent injuries.

TAA v Vinicius Jr

Matip/Konate v Benzema

Midfield v midfield

Diaz v Carvajal

Think it might be a cagey affair. Ancelotti has good experience of shutting down Liverpool in recent years with Napoli and Everton so might try the same with Valverde playing deeper on the right to help out Carvajal against Diaz. A bit lobsided with Vinicius Jr allowed that freedom to 'cheat' a bit by keeping a higher starting position in a free-er role high and wide and not worry about tracking TAA instead focus on exploiting the space on the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd be shocked at anything other than a comfortable Liverpool win. Real Madrid have only got here after some massive comebacks in second legs. No second leg tonight means no comeback. I know that's over simplistic buy i still think it's going to be the case. Klopp knows how to work his team up for a one off game better than almost anyone else out there.

Real beating City, PSG and Chelsea would have them as favourites for me.

They've also lost more Champions League games this season than Liverpool have lost in all competitions this season.

Who cares. 9 of their players are going for their 5th CL. I don't think Liverpool beat Chelsea or City this season.

They beat Chelsea twice on penalties and beat Man City at Wembley...3-2 I think? After being 3-0 up at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

After all of Madrid’s miraculous comebacks it could well be a case of “name on the trophy. “. Hope so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The red sea

Would be a bit crazy if they won all their finals on penos this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Who's in commentary on RTE2 anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just a guess George Hamilton and Ronnie Whelan are the usual ones.

Please god not Ronnie, I will be changing the channel if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Here's Rrroonniieee!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Darragh Maloney and Ronnie Whelan on RTE.

Kick off delayed 15 mins.

Seen a few tweets earlier that there were a lot of difficulties getting in and around the turnstiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Rumour's Thiago has pulled up in the warmed up. Poor bast**d that would be 2 finals this year where he has pulled up in the warm up!!!

Gonna take longer than 15mins to clear that queue. Although it will start regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

15 minute delay to the start of the match due to Kremlins in the system. 😉

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement