Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The H isn't a real spine it was added last minute and it ends abruptly in the city centre where as the other spines continue through to the opposite side of the city. Someone Trying to get to the H spine from anywhere along E would be better off using the North side orbitals than going into the city centre and changing

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

A potential yet radical solution to the O'Connell Street dilemma could be to make the entire stretch car-free. After all, it is one of the busiest roads in Ireland with a relatively high proportion of buses using it as compared to cars, with the proposed spines making it so that there's roughly 1 bus per minute. Therefore, ridding it of cars would definitely help with any capacity issues it may face. One big issue with this is that cars wishing to travel between the inner north and south would either have to use Gardiner Street, which will be completely full of buses by the time the network redesign is completely implemented, or Church Street, which gets miserable amounts of traffic

O'Connel St is already basically bus and access only

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 19 is only going to be hourly so it wouldn’t make much of a difference (that frequency is ridiculous for an airport bus but that’s another argument).

The 22 or maybe the 73 could be options.

I can’t see the tram lane sections of Benburb Street being opened to bus use to be honest.

It is a Spine route, whether it was last minute or not. The key to the network are the spines.

What about someone using the E Spine from south Dublin?

Once you start adding more than one change to someone’s journey then they are put off using public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The E spine from South Dublin hits the F and Luas at Stephens Green, and can intersect with the A on George's St, the D and G at Christchurch and the C and B before and after it crosses the quays on an alternative, frequent axis in the city centre.

The H should be running cross city like the C spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Yeah I don't get why that they didn't give it southside routing to say Merrion Square

It isn’t though and my comment about multiple changes being a turn-off stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"Once you start adding more than one change to someone’s journey then they are put off using public transport."

The above may be true, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should design a system just to cater for a percentage who won't make a double switch. There's a trade off between the best possible design for the efficiency and speed of the system, versus the amount of changes people will have to make.

Something like the London Underground or Paris Metro will have many instances where two changes are required for the most efficient journey, because they don't link every line directly at a central point.

It doesn't where the E spine still intersects with all other spines and modes of rapid transport.

Edit: except the Dart, which is a flaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,915 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you're comparing metro systems with a surface bus network though - even when the infrastructure works are complete (probably 5+ years away) it won't be as frequent or reliable as a metro; plus any journey with more than one change is likely to involve non-spine routes with lower frequency.

The more changes you have, the more chance a bus doesn't turn up and you're left waiting for a long time - there's a good reason people avoid journeys with multiple changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I understand that everyone wants to avoid multiple changes - my point is that that isn't actually a killer reason not to have a system where such changes are potentially necessary. If utilising other streets and routes as suggested recently in the thread leads to a better overall free-flowing system for everyone, without bottlenecks etc then it would seem a good move to me.

If a certain percentage of potential commuters now need a double change, well that unfortunate but tough. They can decide either to do so, or decide to commute in another manner. Having a lesser system just to cater for a small percentage of journeys seems a bit flawed to me.

A merging of the G and H spines would remove any connectivity issues. Putting every spine on O'Connel St and leaving vast swathes of the city centre without any bus service isn't good for connectivity either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

With Capel St closing I thought a bunch of routes were going to run CapelSt parliament St dame st and turn , obviously not feasible now. Was that not part of busconnects ? ( or am I mixing it up with the dame st plaza )

As I said before, the spines are the core of the network and as such frankly they all should serve the heart of the city centre and should offer intersection with each of the other spines at one location.

It is perfectly possible to re-route some radials to serve the western north inner city such as the 73 perhaps, or indeed the 34 and 35, but I think forcing people to change from a Spine to reach the heart of the city centre is fundamentally a wrong idea.

Is O'Connell St really the heart of the city anymore? It's certainly an organ, but there are other parts of the city which are more commercially and culturally relevant (e.g. the George's St area, only served by the A spine). Sure, it makes some sense to ensure a single point of interchange across all spines, but a second axis for certain spines is convenient for a whole host of journeys and fills gaps in the core city centre unserved by any orbital route.

That is where the radial routes come in.

Which is a reasonable compromise, but these areas are deserving of the frequency and convenience of a spine as much as O'CS is. The fact that the F makes a detour via Kevin At and Cuffe St, instead of continuing straight to the heart of the city via Patrick St and College Green, is essentially what I would prefer for the E.

In any case, post bus connects we're going to have to have a serious conversation about cars on the quays. Most spines will be using the quays and there isn't room for cars as it stands. Certainly a car ban between Talbot Bridge and millennium bridge is long overdue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't remember anyone talking about running buses on Capel Street since the 2000s. Parliament Street was part of the original College Green Plaza proposal but the new BusConnects network makes it less of an issue.

What was it that was proposed for Luas Cross City and then ditched by DCC after car park owners threatened to sue? No car traffic between Bachelor's Walk and Eden Quay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Well in any case, the bones of the system has been designed and decided on. Can't see any major changes to Spines happening in the near term. Although, why do the G and H spines not connect into one spine? A trick missed perhaps, or future improvement.

Would definitely be great to see some radials serve the North inner city, such as 73, 34, 35, 22 and the 19. Also, make the 19 more frequent.

Is there a way to provide feedback to BusConnects or NTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

The 40 can suffer from serious bunching issues, particularly during rush hour. That could be why the G and H spines were kept separate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The H spine just doesn't need the frequency of the G spine, as much as I'd like it to. Perhaps in time they'll come up with something. Maybe only certain G buses heading all the way out to Howth, or something along those lines.

I mentioned above that the G spine will probably go all the way down to the point now, what with the N4 doing that, so maybe that makes it a bit more awkward.

The F can’t use College Green as it will be pedestrianised and if it used the Quays it would require a turn at O’Connell Bridge which they are trying to avoid in this.

There’s a balance to be struck as there are significant areas of offices to the east as well.

Church St will have a bus every 10 mins with the 22/23. Add an extra couple of radials and that’s your answer.

To be honest at this stage I think that the new network needs to be implemented as it is and then refined as issues appear.

The cbc project will put an end to this, assuming that camera enforcement is put and in, and then used(not left to rot)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

In all fairness I believe we should avoid any route variations or select departure treatments where possible. It makes the network so much clearer when a single route always operates the same way - probably the major reason why the night-time C3 and C4 were split out into the C5 and C6, as much as I dislike that particular label (still think C3N and C4N would have been somewhat better, although clunkier). In the end at the moment the only BusConnects routes with variations are the Lucan Xs where some of them finish and start around Leeson Street instead of running to UCD - and that's a feature that's been in place back in the 66X/67X days anyway, just with different locations - plus the one inbound X30 via Kew Park. The less messing around the better, and I do think that the reason why the G and H spines aren't connected would be pretty much the same reason why the 27B or 29A (I honestly can't remember which one was being considered) was never made into a single crosscity route with the 79/A despite strong considerations towards it in the last decade or so.

(Now, in saying this, there are very few routes that outside of last buses being cut short have different variations and don't operate under different numbers, with the 7D, 27B, 33, 33A, 33B, 45A, 84 (?), 84X, 120, and 145 springing to mind, but I do think the point stands.)

Yes I recall a very sensible, and suitably rare, plan by DCC to kill 3 or 4 birds with one stone: mitigate delays to bus services cause by luas works, allow pedestrianisation of CG while accommodating bus passengers, improve public realm and reduce car trips through city.

Of course the needs of the city were dropped in favour of propping up the failing multi storey car park's private business which were built courtesy of tax payer funded incentives.

I think at a minimum Bachelors walk from Jervis St to OCS sould be car free along City Quay between Tara St and OCS. Arnotts are already reducing the car parking business and will no doubt seek to exit that market in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Excuse my ignorance on Bus Connects but is there any plans on when they would actually like all these Spine routes finalised? I live out in Knocklyon so on the A1 route which looks like it's taking over from the 15 which currently goes by my house, but I don't see any upgrades happening along its current route into town. I thought the initial idea of this Bus Connects was to somewhat isolate the bus corridors to increase the speed/efficiency of the bus network. Or has that been abandoned now?

• Advertisement

The network is changing in phases over the next three years to 2024.

Planning applications for the infrastructure project (one for each corridor) have started to be submitted to An Bord Pleanála.

After that process concludes they will then go to cabinet for final approval so construction can start.

There’s a separate thread in the Infrastructure section on that.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057859339/dublin-busconnects

Advertisement