Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for the comments. I'll be honest though, the more I thought about it, the more I thought I'd be back to running quicker ... I don't think I'm patient, more 'resigned' to the fact it seems to be slow progress for me.

I think I know what you mean in a way as you are not quite in PB shape yet but it's hard to peak/pb at 5k off the back of a HM block. At the same time the HM block has given you a solid base and there's no reason you can't be targeting a PB in your next goal race in 8-10-12 weeks time? Over the Summer you could definitely chip away at your 5k with some parkrun efforts etc.. Or likewise there is no reason you couldn't target a fast HM, the likes of Charleville in Sept. I suppose it depends on what your goal is and I'm sorry I can't remember if you are doing DCM or not 🙈 You've had a funny time of it with a job change (or two?) and a house move, as well as the injuries, those things all take a toll too, on your routine and on your stress/recovery levels. You've done amazing to keep the S&C going really consistently and build back up the mileage and intensity again to where you are now. Keep the faith 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I have an entry for DCM yes, not fully committed to whether I'll run it or not! Also have the carried over Dublin Half entry so will do that anyway I imagine. Yeah, there have been a few things going on but sure find me someone who hasn't had that the last couple of years! The S&C is honestly the easiest to keep up, I really enjoy it and the trainers are great for asking about niggles and tackling each one as it comes (when I tell them - and they are all physios) as well as advising on exercises for runners. I've also enjoyed seeing how much stronger I've gotten compared to when I started. Now that said I managed to hurt myself in the class last Friday morning... landed on my knee funny doing a few single leg hops towards the end of the class. It's been a frustrating couple of days since.

Mon 23rd - rest (from nothing)

Tues 24th - Strength class.

Evening session in UCD. Usual warm-up and drills, then into 3 x 10 mins at tempo pace. , off 90 seconds. I managed to keep it very even across all reps, all around 8 min mile pace or a tad under. Had a newish member running with me and felt responsible to keep it steady! Worked out nicely for me. 6 x 100mish fast strides (as opposed to normal strides?) after with jog back recovery. Cool down approx 1 mile then. Nice session, felt quite good. Mentioned to Lambay that my achilles on my left is just starting to make itself aware the last couple of days (well once I confirmed that part of my heel is the achilles!). Reminder to do a few home exercises.

Weds 25th - just a walk

Thurs 26th - knew I wouldn't get out in the evening so ran a few easy lunch miles. 4.6m at 9.51/m.

Fri 27th - morning S&C where I landed funny on the knee towards the end. Avoided any running and the knee was off all day. Met a friend for a walk in the park and realised it really didn't like any walking downhill, the downward pressure was a bit much. Iced it and took an anti-inflammatory going to bed.

Sat 28th - had late morning plans so headed to Marlay to meet a few who were doing the club session earlier than the usual time. I wasn't sure how my knee would like it but said I'd give it a go anyway. Painful enough leaving the house but it seemed to ease off a bit and I wasn't too bad with the easy warm-up of approx 2.5 miles. The session was 3 x 5 mins at 10k pace, so I did the first 5 mins and thought my knee seemed ok, but when I got going again after the 90 seconds recovery I knew I was only fooling myself. Cut the session there and then and jogged on home.

Was meeting my friend for a walk then and was a bit worried but she currently has a dodgy ankle so we were happy to cut the walk short and just head for lunch 😶 More icing and elevating that evening..

Sun 29th - tested my knee when I woke up and still not right so I thought the annoyingly sensible decision was to not run. Went for a short walk in the evening as I just had to get out, and I could feel it. Ugh.

Measly 15 mile week. I'll be in at the class tomorrow so will ask the trainer about my knee and for any added tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Always knew that S&C stuff is dangerous!

Hope it clears up.

Honest to god! Purely down to me being a bit careless though. Nuisance.

• Advertisement

There are a few exercises that I'm skeptical about especially if they become part of a long term routine

and a few of them would be box jumps, single leg hops and also swinging Kettle Bells between the legs and up in the air (unless your form is impeccable)

I just have the feeling that they are not good for the skeletal system long term and the more explosive you make them the riskier they become.

Whenever I hear someone mention 'plyometrics', I run the other way. I think the risks outweigh the benefits.

There are other elements to them though that seem okay, not as tricky.

Yeah I'd agree with some of that alright, I don't do any box jumps or those KB swings (although would sometimes warm up with a light med ball doing those, and all under guidance). However, if you have previous issues like I've had (calf mainly), single leg jump squats etc are quite important for strengthening areas I need to work on. A one off incident won't put me off them (I think).

Yeah I suffer with the calf myself for many years, its my weakness.

I find the single legged deadlift works well for me and regular stretching.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

You'll be back to it in no time at all, sounds very minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Have ye looked at making the S&C more of a supplement to the running? ie. making sure you get your running workout done before doing any S&C on that day. It would likely result in the S&C intensity/load/volume being reduced. It would ensure that you get 100% of your running done and then have the S&C as a nice to have. The calves will get strong from the running.

I have had the calf issues in the past too. Both times they have been from overworking them (returned too soon from race and too quick to ramp up volume). Adjusting volume/pace in addition to physio work got me through them.

I feel like my S&C IS a supplement to my running already?? The timings suit me with morning S&C and evening running... I asked the running coach before and he said the morning strength and evening running session was no issue.

• Advertisement

I would have thought getting the running done prior to S&C would be way to go. Would the legs not be fatigued by the time you get out for your runs?

Yeah I suppose that would be the ideal but it's not the end of the world if you can't. You get quite used to it actually. It was tough the first few weeks with the new coach, but I tend to forget I've even done the class by evening time now. Some weeks, you might not hit the pace you want obviously but once the effort is there I think it's okay.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Surely the most important thing is it's suits your life/routine so it is sustainable. It's not always practical to things at the optimal time - at least not for us non-elites who have to juggle work and life etc. And if you're in a desk job you are probably getting a good bit of rest between the s&c and the evening run.

I think people are just looking out for ReeReeG and advising that the fatigue from the S+C could be impacting her form on the runs and could possibly contribute towards an injury or overdoing it. That's all. Its great for a non elite to be so motivated to this stuff but advisable to do it on recovery/easy days or rest days.

God I'm sorry I ever mentioned my S&C 🤣 Look, I'll be honest - it's not up for debate. I've been doing it this way since late 2019 and I'm going to keep doing it this way for the foreseeable.

😂😁 Don't come back here with your leg in a cast and say we didn't tell you so...

Just looking out for ye V. 👍

Mon 30th - Did a 20 min HIIT at home, bit of stretching.

Tues 31st - Strength class, altered slightly to help the knee (wall sits - ugh). My etaflam gel got good use this week also !

Didn't run again, instead went to the gym in Meadowbrook to see how long I'd last on an indoor bike. Somehow managed an hour! HR around 120 for most of it, so not that intense..

Weds 1st June - Knee was feeling much improved so met a friend for a few easy miles around Marlay. 4.2 miles at 10.04/ avg.

Thurs 2nd - Easy club miles, 6m at 9.41/m avg. Skipped the strides at the end.

Fri 3rd - S&C class. Short walk in the evening.

Sat 4th - Didn't head to the club session, but jogged around a couple miles pre parkrun (9.37/m), then started parkrun easy, somehow moving to a more steady pace for miles 2 and 3 without realising. Parkrun came in at 26.44. Suppose the legs are fresh enough. Lovely morning.

Sun 5th - Met the usuals at 8am, but didn't head up the hills with them. The downhill was still feeling slightly off on my knee so didn't seem like a smart move. Handy hour around the park, 6.3 miles at 9.41/m avg.

Club duties for the afternoon in at the women's mini marathon. Was marshalling at the 1km mark, and my main job was women stopping and handing me their phone to get a pic of them under the 1km sign 🤐 Soaked to the bone! But powered on to meet my sisters in law who had run (one got a well earned PB) for a drink afterwards 😉.

22 miles for the week. Should be back to normal running this week I think...

Mon 6th Jun – No running, actually no recollection of what I did on the Bank Hol.

Tues 7th – Morning strength class. Knee grand.

Headed to the evening club session, usual warm up but a couple of the more jumpy drills reminded me to watch the knee. Session was 6 x 400 off 60s, followed by 3k tempo. Did 4 of the 400s but my quad was getting verrrry tight and really not enjoying the speedier running, so with advice from the coach ditched the last 2 and ran the 3k at an easy pace. (My 400s I did complete were actually decent enough (for me), 1.35, 1.35, 1.34 and 1.37). 4 miles for the evening. Foam roller out for the quad all week then, as well as Epsom salt baths.

Weds 8th – Nothing. Had to head down to the Midlands for the day.

Thurs 9th – 4.5 miles easy, 9.39/m avg.

Fri 10th – morning S&C. Lots of quad stretching.

Sat 11th – Needed to head over to Poppintree to drop off some club-collected gear to Sanctuary Runners, so got over for a mile-ish warm-up, then mostly easy parkrun in 27.01 (kicked on a bit towards the end). Very enjoyable morning. Long walk in the afternoon sunshine later on.

Sun 12th – Had intended on joining the planned club run over in St. Anne’s / Bull Island, but when the alarm went off I had no desire to get up, and ended up sleeping way later than usual. Body was just tired I suppose. Eventually forced myself out for an easy 5k in the evening, 9.38/m avg.

Feeling a little demotivated at the moment. I’m sure it will pass… but don’t think I’ll be bothering with Dunshaughlin this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Keep at it...The mojo will come back....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I always enjoyed Dunshaughlin, a really great race - it might help with the motivation to do it? Always has great crowd support out cheering, lots of club runners, your name written on the hill...😊

Yeah it is a great race, but I know what I'm like and it will just annoy me that I can't run as I had hoped, and make me even less motivated

Yeah it definitely work both ways. Speaking from experience as i did an 8k at the weekend it was utter rubbish. But it gave me a benchmark and honest training paces now to work with and I enjoyed the banter. Glad i did it but can honestly see also why it might not have been the best idea. You know best where your head is at... Good to see you still ticking over and hanging in there despite the mojo, it will come back 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I would train with a niggle but wouldn’t consider racing with one unless I’d trained specifically for it as a goal and had a lot invested. Not worth it IMO (although I get what AGYR is saying.) Good call!

Mon 13th Jun - Nothing

Tues 14th - morning strength class. Evening easy miles, ended up with more than expected - benefits of running with a group! 6.3 miles at 9.42/m avg. Quad still wasn’t super but getting looser.

Weds 15th - knew I wouldn’t get to training Thursday so got out for an evening 5k, 9.31/m avg. Possibly ate half the fly population however :-/ Highlight was seeing Fionnuala McCormack running around, must have been the key to winning Dunshaughlin :p

Thurs 16th - nothing.

Fri 17th - morning S&C. The day was too nice to not get out for a few miles (head wasn’t totally in it but delighted I did get out). The drizzle at the start was very welcome in the muggy weather, 4.6 miles at 9.39/m avg.

Sat 18th - Marlay parkrun is off, so an opportunity to tick off a Dublin parkrun I hadn’t done before, Waterstown. Really lovely park, the stretch along the Liffey is just beautiful! An easy mile to warm-up, then with the downhill start to the parkrun, I ended up in a steady pace and just kept it going (although the uphill finish is a beast). 26.36 for the run. Still some niggliness with the knee on the downhills, and not feeling that speedy, so missing Dunshaughlin was the right decision. Some super results from my clubmates, definitely a few PBs. Our elites are doing really well in the Kia series too.

Sun 19th - Out with the club 8am group, was hoping to get at least 70 mins done but again the power of the group got me around 9+ miles pretty easily! 9.8m at 9.53/m. Really happy with this run, legs starting to feel pretty ok again. Over to Croke Park for a verrrry disappointing game then…

28 miles for the week.

Mon 20th – rest

Tues 21st – morning strength class. Half day from work so headed for some easy afternoon miles, 5.1 @ 9.35/m. Down to Offaly that night to meet a friend home from abroad with her new baby.

Weds 22nd – nothing, hanging with the 4th month old and her mammy 😊

Thurs 23rd – met Crisco at lunchtime for a run around Marlay, nothing wrong with his pace anyway despite the heat and two kiddos in the buggy 😝 4 miles at 8.49/m. Arrived home to my delivery of Saucony Endorphin Speed 2s…

Fri 24th – morning S&C. Couldn’t resist heading out at lunch again to try the new runners and maaaaaaaaan the same issues I had with the Infinity React and Adidas SL20s i.e. awful discomfort / cramping around the arch area of both feet after about half a mile. Managed 5k but had to stop a couple of times to ‘relax’ my feet. 9.15/m average. Was chatting to a clubmate Saturday morning about them and he (being a shoe nerd) mentioned that maybe I need to get used to the lower heel drop (8mm)? Eg my go to runners these days are Brooks Ghosts (12mm), Reebok Floatride Energy (10mm) and Nike Epic Reacts (10mm)  … any other shoe nerds have any thoughts? Like my feet were fine on every other run this week so it was 100% those shoes. If it’s a case of just needing to adjust a bit I’d like to keep them.

Sat 25th – out early enough for easy miles, some clubmates were doing speedwork but kept it handy myself with a couple others. 5.5 miles at 9.25/m. We actually bumped into a woman training for her 1st marathon and was looking for a group to run with for her long runs and turns out she used to be an 800m runner in her youth and even went to the states on a scholarship.. could be a great addition to the club if we sold it well enough! Was off to a 90s / 00s festival in Punchestown that afternoon.. bit of an eye-opener, so many people seem to go into portaloos 4 at a time…👀 hmmmm

Sun 26th – way too tired from the day before and looking out at the rain certainly didn’t tempt me out for a run! Watched the football but switched to the Athletics YouTube livestream after the 1st match, some super races.

Only 18 miles for the week, oops.  

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Non-expert here. Are you a heel striker? I read somewhere once that a really too spongy heel isn't suitable for runners i.e. less stable. Less stability could lead to cramping as some of your foot muscles work harder to stabilise your foot.

My impression from wearing them last week was that they were indeed a little unsteady in the heel. I was worried a little as I've weak ankles when walking around in them. I need not have worried as I found them quite pleasant to run in afterwards. But I'm a midfoot striker so not really overly relying on the heel myself when running.

I wouldn't call that my tuppence worth. It's probably worth less than tuppence.

yeah I think I must be? I didn't feel unsteady though, just that discomfort in the middle but from googling it can change where your foot is hitting the ground (heel to midfoot) so that kinda makes sense to me. We are the blind leading the blind here 🤣

• Advertisement

Been a minute… Lots going on in my life which means I probably won’t bother with this log much for a while. Some good, some bad - that’s just life though really. Running was getting done until some wee Achilles issues have arisen. It’s not bad but I’d rather take the week or two off now than 3 months down the line. Means I’ve pretty much pulled the plug on DCM however between everything, but I’m not overly disappointed with that.

I’ve been loving all the Athletics on tv / YouTube and delighted with the prospect of more next week. Skimming logs a bit when I get the chance, and an eye on all who will be tackling Autumn marathons.

Advertisement