Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"It is not corruption if a green party politician who is the minister for the environment doesn't jump through hoops to help a private company explore for oil and gas."

It's borderline incompetence, if the the minister with responsibility for the licensing of exploration / appraisal of natural resources fails to discharge his responsibilities in an efficient and timely manner.

Strange thing is the same minister seems to have no such issues with regard to issuing licences for exploration for gold and silver.

And let's remember the green party were only admitted into government because a coalition had to be formed to create a working government. It was either them or Sinn Fein. Hardly the choice of the century tbf. Next election they are out on their ear and the door slammed shut after them dv.

We do but we won’t get there when reliable least co2 producing energy generating method is excluded in favour of co2 producing gas

Wind and solar are at the core of the transition so no issue there. Biggest issue is the slow planning process but they are working on resourcing to speed things up along with a number of other actions that will reduce the overall time frame to get these things built quicker.

With any luck we should blow past 80% renewable energy by 2030. After that we have to figure out the storage solution and scale everything up.

Biggest issue is the slow planning process 

Not so much "a slow planning proces" but rather as in the example of the Shannon LNG plant, deliberate and organised serial objectors who seem determined that any and all energy related developments be stopped.

The one issue which you've already highlighted is the siting of some of these developments such as the Derrybrien Windfarm in sensitive local environments. The location of such projects should be controlled via legislation with no windfarms or solar farms permitted in these types of locations.

The only reason they are being built there by investment companies and others is the land is cheap. It makes much more sense that wind and solar farms should be developed adjacent to areas of high population on brownfield sites and unused land adjacent to motorways. Makes fuq all sense building them in the back of beyond with the additional issues of having to build new infrastructure to carry that generated power with significant transmission loses. But when much of those costs have been met by Johny taxpayer - many of those "green" investment companies don't give a monkeys apparently.

There's several nuclear threads on the go which have adequately quashed the notion of nuclear power in Ireland but then you know that as every argument you have put forward in those threads has been, well, quashed.

On that basis there's no point in doing the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You say the Moffatt line is not secure

THEN you recommend Barryroe which as already pointed out, has a questionable company aligned to it and has no drilling company. Even if they get one this could turn out to be totally unviable.

Then we go back to "what happens when the wind doesn't blow"

Which from recollection has been answered multiple times already on the thread. But please continue to repeat the same post ad nauseam

• Advertisement

Nope. Incorrect.

It's not me saying the UK pipeline is NOT SECURE.

That is the Energy Regulator. Who said and let me quote to get that exact

"Ireland must build import terminals to ship and store gas because current gas supply arrangements from Britain are not secure"

Seriously what bizarre logic dictates that because the UK pipeline is not secure, that our Natural gas reserves shouldn't be used?

The only few here who have been throwing shite at Barryroe are oddly enough those who appear vehemently against Ireland using any of its own untapped natural gas reserves, of which Barryroe is just one. Surprise, surprise there. And the company responsible for Barryroe have not contracted a drilling company because they are not drilling atm! And that has been indeed explained to you many times at this stage! And yes unreliable renewables are a significant problem at this point in time.

As for this often repeated garbage

"Which from recollection has been answered multiple times already on the thread. But please continue to repeat the same post ad nauseam"

Why do you keep on repeating the exact same type of comments about the thread 'ad nauseum' as if any poster gets to control what is or is not discussed?

As to purported "answers"? First I didnt ask any questions in the comment you replied to. And your various comments to date have certainly not equated to "answers", rather they seem little more than bizarre commentary which apparently supports the idea amongst other things, that it's ok to burn imported coal (and apparently not pay carbon tax on it for personal use) as you have already detailed, but are against using the country's own lower carbon untapped natural gas resources to help support energy reserves during the period of transition to renewable energy generation?

Seriously What gives with that bizarre lack of logic?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Won't be long now for Providence, everything is riding on this for them. This was from a month ago, so 2 months left for them to wait by their estimate which would be around July.

Providence Resources, the Irish oil exploration company, hopes to receive a crucial licence from the government in the next 90 days so it can drill an appraisal well in the Barryroe oil field, its recently appointed executive chairman has said.

James Menton said the company was aiming to potentially begin commercial production from the site by mid-2026.

“We believe we’ve complied with all of the regulations required to get a lease undertaken from the government. So I’m hoping in the next 90 days we’ll have the lease undertaking in place and then we’ll be straight into fundraising mode to finance the appraisal well,” he said.

You'd have to wonder, if its so urgent, why are they waiting until 2023 to find out if Barryroe is going to be viable and 2026 before they plan extraction of the oil. Surely they could agree with investors ahead of time "we get the licence/find viable oil, you invest, we don't, you don't invest". I don't know, seems strange to me given their complaining

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Apparently we're not supposed to be talking about Barryroe because its been 'answered' previously. But no matter. 😁

So good news then that Mr Ryan appears to have finally been shamed into getting his finger out after all the bad press he's receiving?

As to your 'wondering' detailed above.

First Mr Ryan doing his job and giving the company the licence needed and the company detailing a date of 2023 for the penultimate phase of the project is not necessarily the same thing

Afaik it's already been detailed that the appraisal licence has to be awarded within a specific timeframe of the existing exploration licence

But if Mr Ryan accidentally managed to prevaricate for too long - that could mean that the application was out of time. So yeah in that sense the company are only too right to ask exactly what Mr Ryan was up to and remind him to do his job.

Secondly three months from now is October 2022 and that's into the winter months. From my limited knowledge of such matters, Appraisal work at sea tends not to be undertaken in Winter due to bad weather. So yeah 2023 seems about right considering Mr Ryan has wasted most of the year holding babies and talking shyte.

Finally If you don't mind I personally would be giving your investment 'advice' a very long and extended bypass.

They have no drilling company so I would expect that is why they can't confirm is viable till 2023. I expect, reading between the lines, they hope to get a license and then a drilling company will follow.

As previously posted they hired a communications manager and she certainly has been doing an excellent job, even with The Times in UK ran a story on it: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-ireland-is-freewheeling-into-a-possible-energy-crisis-lfn9r0xzc

I expect hoping to get investment from the UK.

They did have a China company involved but they pulled the plug, https://fora.ie/providence-resources-barryroe-3927918-Mar2018/

So did another

I expect these press releases are to put pressure on the government.

I expect these press releases are to put pressure on the government.

As the saying goes "pressure is for pipes" or rather pipelines in this case.

• Advertisement

They have no drilling company

You do seem to be seriously hung up about "Drilling companies" Broken

OK just to go over that again. The company has no drilling company contracted atm because they're not drilling!

And why are they not drilling? Because of Mr Ryans inexplicable prevarication!

Who would have thunk it eh?

Btw as you seem extremely keen on what happens regarding investors - I'd suggest you do a deep root and branch of some of your much favoured wind farm developers. It makes for very interesting investigations indeed.

Well, they are drilling for oil and gas so yes a drilling company is a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

BESS technology is not 'Non existent' Unless you mean it doesn't exist because it hasn't been built yet, in which case, it's exactly as non existent as your proposed Nuclear power station in Ireland, (which, being realistic would be closer to 20 years away than 12)

We already have about 2.5gw of BESS either completed or currently in development.

https://www.energyireland.ie/grid-scale-battery-storage-development/

Grid scale battery technology is

https://essinc.com/iron-flow-chemistry/

Ah I see were back to issues with past, present and future. The company has no drilling company contracted atm because they're currently not drilling!

Past Providence has already undertaken test drilling - when they contracted a drilling company for that specific job. That part of the development was completed satisfactorily and test drilling operations completed

Present Providence are not currently actively drilling for oil as they do not a licence to do so (See Mr Ryan for details) and therefore have no requirement for / haven't engaged a drilling company

Future Providence (all things going well) will be drilling as part of their appraisal of the Barryvoe oil and gas field. The current prospective date for this will be in late Spring/Summer 2023. So once they get their go ahead and its all looking tickity boo at that point they will be engaging the services of a drilling company. 👍

And thats it. Fairly simple really.

If that was the case why did they have other drilling companies involved but then these companies pulled out.

I do like the spin

As I said this topic was already discussed in details, it seems you want to discuss the same topic over & over & over again. No idea why. Nothing has changed since the last time you discussed it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I now you have been gone for a while, but were you not still on here when our own regulator said our current gas supply via Moffat was not only not secure but was in breach of an E.U. directive or did you just simply miss any posts in relation to that ?

If that was the case why did they have other drilling companies involved but then these companies pulled out.

Not this rubbish and mud throwing again Broken?

But to play along - the original drilling companies work was completed and since then Mr Ryan has apparently held the project up with the result there was no need for a drilling company!!!

And it doesn't take a genius to figure out that theres no requirement for a drilling company - when there's no drilling taking place and all because of Mr Ryan sitting on the pot!

Buy hey If your that keen to find out - email the company rather than endlessly trying to throw shitpie or pretending you don't know the difference between when a company is actively drilling as opposed to when its not.

And as for this I see more of the same lol

As I said this topic was already discussed in details, it seems you want to discuss the same topic over & over & over again. No idea why. Nothing has changed since the last time you discussed it

Broken just a heads up there, look likes the laptop might broken and seems to be stuck on repeat 🤷‍♂️

The exact same all from your last bunch of comments in reply to various posters

"So I see this thread is still at the "wHaT AbOuT GAs" stage"

"Which from recollection has been answered multiple times already on the thread. But please continue to repeat the same post ad nauseam"

"Could of swore you already shared the exact same thing weeks ago and it was debunked then"

"would seem this thread is stuck on repeat"

"Already discussed... totally irrelevant to ireland and the solar projects in ireland. The poster knows this, was discussed before. As this thread goes I’m sure it will be raised again in a week or two"

"As I said already discussed, I’m sure you can go back and find, the constant repeating of the same topic is irrational, especially when it’s the same posters asking the exact same questions.

Seriously though and I may be incorrect, but certainly most of the posters here do actually seem want to discuss the topic and that includes DaCor who brought up the current phase of discussion and even you chimed in and then replied to my comment. Are you saying no one is else is allowed comment in return? Why is that?

Anyway no matter. Seems to be lots of change since last you were here Broken, With Mr Ryan having had a big fire set underneath him 🔥. And about bloody time too. 🌚

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The LCOE of New nuclear in the IEA report

is between about 60 and 100 dollars per MWh. Given that Ireland has zero nuclear industry and would have to build everything from scratch including creating all the regulatory frameworks and disposal and transport etc, in high cost economy where we can't even build a childrens hospital without paying 3-4 times the cost of everywhere else we'd definitely be paying the upper range of the cost of constructing a new nuclear facility. Also, the cost of decommissioning old nuclear power-stations are massively understated (in the UK, the costs of decommissioning 7 old nuclear power stations was estimated at £13bn in 2014 to £23.5bn in 2020 and still rising and the UK still doesn't have anywhere to store their spent fuel safely in the long term.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/20/uk-nuclear-power-stations-decommissioning-cost )

If Ireland was to have a nuclear plant, we'd need to build all of these hideously expensive facilities from scratch, or negotiate very expensive deals with other countries to use their facilities.

According to the UK, the LCOE of Offshore wind in 2025 will be about £57, falling to £47 5 years later in 2030

Using BESS to perform grid services that are currently being performed by gas turbines (balancing, voltage and frequency regulation) means that the capacity factor for the wind turbines goes up, as they are not required to be shut off to prevent spikes on the grid. Some of the costs of BESS implementation will be offset through increasing the efficiency of the grid and increasing the capacity factor of all renewable sources.

We will still need nuclear power in the European grid, which I have absolutely no objection to importing through interconnectors, but I just don't think there is any case for building a new nuclear power industry in Ireland. And the government agree, not just the greens, but FF, FG, Labour, and Sinn Fein all oppose Nuclear in Ireland for one reason or another, so unless you can find a political party who have anywhere on their platform a proposal to build a nuclear power station in Ireland and get them elected into government, it's not gonna happen

SpotOn pulls out: https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/providence-ends-barryroe-deal-with-norwegian-firm-40342318.html#:~:text=Irish%20oil%20and%20gas%20explorer,to%20a%20statement%20from%20Providence.

Chinese backers pull out: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/markets/providence-explores-new-funding-as-chinese-backers-given-another-extension-1.4006137

Ceo quits: https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40724880.html

Sequoia Petroleum pulls out: https://newsfounded.com/ireland/the-providence-chief-stopped-unexpectedly-in-the-midst-of-barryroes-examination/

Are we starting to see a pattern here yet?

Then of course we have threat to sue Ireland if they don't get their way: https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-30933660.html

I could continue but plenty more on the web about the company. You don't want to discuss any topic, you just want to tell everyone else they are wrong and when they don't admit it you just repeating the same topic. This has been pointed out to you many many many times yet you ignore and continue on.

As discussed at the time, they also called out a risk of the line getting hit by a sea after it was sunk....it seems a few people never watched the entire discussion which I shared on here

Should we get the Irish government to ban all ships sailing around the pipeline because of the risk? or just see it what it is, a risk like hundred of others :-)

• Advertisement

It is ridiculous talking about nuclear when the amount of complaints are made in Ireland for a solar field. Imagine the amount of complaints if we decide to fire up a nuclear plant in any county, every single person in that county and surrounding ones would lodge a complaint. The same people on here saying nuclear is the way would do the exact same, yeah I want nuclear but I want it built at the other end of the country

Oh look, the same worn out arguments for something that will never happen and has been quashed, by dozens of posters in multiple threads

Nuclear in Ireland 😅

Meanwhile

How long until chbs says "omg you are ok with French nuclear power" lol

Already done on the other 4 threads where you spam nuke stuff. As I said, it been well and truly quashed by many, many posters.

You have a hard on for nukes, grand, off with ya, but if you are looking for arguments again it feel free to have a read of the many, many reasons why it won't happen in the threads where you regularly post the same stuff

here

or here, which was split out from the above due to you and and another poster spamming nuke stuff

or here

or even your very own thread

Take your pick, they all carry the same arguments/points with you just saying "b-b-but nuclear!!" with the threads going around in circles.

So yeah, I'll leave you to it

Jaysus Broken whats with the knives out against Providence?

If you bothered to read your links you'd know that Irish oil and gas explorer Providence was the one to terminate its farm-out agreement with Spot-On Energy for the Barryroe licence off the coast of Cork. Not the other way around

The agreement was terminated because “key financing conditions were not met”, according to a statement from Providence.

The same with the Chinese lads.

And NOT as you previously claimed

That "these companies pulled out"

So more made up bs claims there.

So we know 2 CEOs stepped down according to those reports to concentrate on other business interests  at different  times with one quoting the following 

"I decided to step down from the board to devote more time to my other business interests,” Mr. Linn said. “Following the board’s recent strategic decision to take over the management and financing of the Barryroe project in -house, this is the right opportunity to give to the new leadership.”

Mr. Linn said Providence was “well placed to promote the Barryroe project” and he thanked colleagues “for their support through a challenging period in the company’s development”.

So you seriously think any of that  shows a pattern? A pattern of what Broken? Maybe a pattern of over actively  imagining that the  business world  is all hugs and kisses, puppies and lollipops?

As for this piece of  "I've told you before so that makes me right" rubbish 

"I could continue but plenty more on the web about the company. You don't want to discuss any topic, you just want to tell everyone else they are wrong and when they don't admit it you just repeating the same topic. This has been pointed out to you many many many times yet you ignore and continue on."

Yes there's plenty  on the web about the company. There's plenty  on the web about loads of companies. Go do some reading about sone of the wind farm developers. It will make you're hair curl and makes Providence  look like a bunch of Boyscouts.

But more importantly  Broken - you don't get to tell anyone here what can or cannot be discussed no matter how many times you keep repeating  that bs. 

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Regarding Providence and APEC, the Chinese investors, the phrase "key financing conditions were not met" means APEC just didn't invest, simple as. Likely the same story with SpotOn.

Honestly, my guess is these companies are waiting for it to go belly up, and they can just buy the rights in a fire sale, but thats just a guess.

At the firm's AGM last month, Tony O'Reilly Jr said he fundamentally believed that the $9m loan from the Chinese backers would be delivered.

He also said he has staked his reputation on the issue. 

That didn't work out so well for him, he had to resign shortly after they ran into money troubles and let go a load of staff.

Bizarre. So you claim something is a "well worn argument" because according to you "it will never happen" and because of some previous discussion on other threads?

Seriously you'll have to try harder than that to present a coherent argument against Nuclear being developed here at some point in the future DaCor. Because that logic or more importantly lack of logic is worthless.

"Regarding Providence and APEC, the Chinese investors, the phrase "key financing conditions were not met" means APEC just didn't invest, simple as. Likely the same story with SpotOn."

Does it? Says who - Yourself?

So you don't know the details, therefore you're just going to make stuff up?

You previously claimed to have read all the online company documents and yet you apparently don't know that both Spot On and the Chinese lads were in breach of signed contract terms and conditions where "key financing conditions were not met"? Or that If you bothered to read your previous links you'd know that Irish oil and gas explorer Providence were the one to terminate the deals with these companies. And not as Broken earlier claimed that those companies had "pulled out"

And also not as you bizarrely speculate that "means (the other companies) just didn't invest, simple as. Likely the same story with Spot On."

Because that's you simply making stuff up. Like this 😅

"Honestly, my guess is these companies are waiting for it to go belly up, and they can just buy the rights in a fire sale, but thats just a guess."

Your comments about Providence are an absolute hoot DaCor aand really couldn't be anymore transparent even if they came in a large see-through plastic bag, where you've previously detailed that you're against all use of untapped natural gas resources here.

So the bottom line is it wouldn't matter if Providence were an A rated, good plated, award winning company - you'd still be making stuff up and "guessing".👍

Btw have you looked into the investment shenanigans of some of the wind farm developers yet or would that be a bit close to the bone as to how some "Green policies" are actually destroying the country as opposed to trying to throw shite at a company who hasn't? I'd "guess" not.

The share price is tanked. The information on the web is questionable to say the least. No idea how anyone in Ireland would be happy to let this company near a potential environmental disaster. Hopefully the government block any license.

I provided information. You ignored. No surprise

• Advertisement

Just like those darn wind farms 😅

FYP btw

The same people on here saying wind power is the way would do the exact same, yeah I want wind power but I want it built at the other end of the country

Advertisement