Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We are in for a recession and a drop in house price maybe a crash. 

There is huge building of buy to let apartments, perfect for the government to house Ukrainians in, these will come on stream over the next 12+ months. Building cost have gotten to tight so developers will pause for a while so all those tradesmen will be out of work.  

Energy and fuel costs are to high, so that’s one less night out or family day out a month, it’s OK in the summer you can do a family picnic in the forest or park. But curtailed consumer spending will tight.  

Generation rent is feeling the pain and will switch from spend mode to save mode. 

Companies will feel the pain of energy and inflation costs, this will eat into their margin and they will try to do more with less so and will not be hiring as much or even letting people go. 

Service sector will feel the pain, my cousin manages a small café, chicken has gone up 40% this year so their margins a cut, consumers are spending less – I’ve started bringing my lunch to work, even if I do that half the time. Lots of others are doing the same. 

Interest rates will rise, that will feed into rent too. 

All it will take is another social or economic shock, stock markets will panic, war, Russia, energy cost, monkeypox…..

When we have to pay back all the money spent during covid.

The current government know they are going into opposition next election, if they fix housing (not likely given 20+years of this) they will get no credit for it. Better let SF deal with it and if they aren’t able to fix it they will get the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Still no one stating where the bridge is between the current supply and demand. We have had 3 shocks brexit, covid and Ukraine and prices went up in the face of all three so your notion that it wont take much doesn't wash. Its simple we have too many people and too few houses. The current paradigm of builders not being able to build and more people coming to live here will widen this gap. Even interest rates rising and making lending more expensive will not do anything to close this people need to live somewhere. I do think we are close to the top of the market having said that if the lending rules where loosened I reckon prices would rocket up again if people could borrow more (not saying this is a good idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Interesting to see the lumber price moderate on financial markets also. Still well above pre pandemic highs but has fallen almost 40% since the start of the year. Potential indicator that the materials price crunch may abate somewhat in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Nero2900

The stock market also rose to incredible levels throughout covid. As did just about every other asset. That was not based on any solid fundamentals and is now unravelling.

The supply is there, dont buy into the media narrative, it can shift on a dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

asked on another thread but getting a lot more emails about new listings hitting the market in cork. pity i wasnt logging it but over the past 10 days it seems like a bit more than normal has hit the market. heres hoping, rental market is still grim here mind you.

on other countries , oz is one to watch i think? never really took the hit other places did in the last global housing bubble. oz government seem to have kept propping up the market with incentives for years. wonder what'll happen out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

how much does that effect us here? do we import a lot from the states?

Its not just the media, its the housing list, the government, its looking at daft/myhome & EAS, its the day to day reports on social media and word of mouth from relatives and friends. There is a real lack of both rentals and places to buy. The stock market and property do not mirror each other. While you can buy and sell stocks, you cant live in one and essentially we have over 5 million people in the country and not enough viable homes. Are all of the above reports wrong?

We have to start living in the real world in the last decade our population grew by over 1/2 million, we stopped building houses for the majority of that period. We are now looking at 30/50k Ukranians coming to live here. We have a materials supply shortage meaning a lot of the new housing which are supposed to be delivered this year will not be happening. There are other unknowns such as the shinners getting into power, will interest rates rising mean people will no longer want to buy but what is their alternitive as rentals are in even shorter supply than property to buy. So do you think the reports on lack of housing is just a conspiracy theory?

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would imagine we import an insignificant amount from the US.

Think the majority of timber used here comes from the UK or from Irish forestry itself.

Do you know how much Irish property is owned by investors? This can shift quickly as Irish policy and world macro changes.

We dont have an issue with supply, we have an issue with Irish property being used as a wealth generating ponzi and being deliberately squeezed for the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Majority is from UK, but the US is significant share as the 4th biggest source of timber to irish market

Benelux, Germany, France also big suppliers here - likely seeing greater demand for their timber across mainland europe as russian timber is phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

No idea but It's a globally traded commodity in our interconnected world and if European suppliers are cheaper our US cousins would have no qualms about shipping it across the pond. https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-05-12/lumber-prices-rising prices of lumber have halved since this article was penned for example. There are plenty other supply bottlenecks for sure especially with Vlad doing some remodelling of eastern Europe but there may be an end in sight for increasing materials prices. Of course, the energy costs of producing lovely concrete will work the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The interest rate rises are necessary but the rest of your post highlights how the rate rises will effectively induce a recession as there are a lot of uncertainties at the moment and nothing is categorically stable with respect to our economic outlook. However, what will be good for society as a whole will be for a significant correction to happen in the asset bubble and therefore I think this is why raising interest rates in this context will still be pursued.

That is, unless, something happens that requires the magic money printers to be turned back on and interest rate rises to be delayed...I see rate raises and QT happening, deflating the asset bubble, unless "something" delays this sequence of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

States getting involved in markets so extensively over the past few years is one of the reasons why we have these issues now. I get it we had Covid, and some of it was unavoidable, but to say that the state intervenes more, spends more, and prints more money as a solution to the global inflationary issues doesn't make any sense.

State should pick and choose very carefully where it's going to point its guns. For example, why not support working parents and give free child care? This will in turn help female workers back into the workforce which will help curb wage inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,274 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

once again, ideologies primarily based in so called free market polices has ultimately brought us to this point, so yes, you are correct, as most governments, past and present have been, and current are, engaged in this thinking! so we need governments that effectively arent!

once again, current inflationary pressures are effectively not related to the money supply, they are primarily supply and energy market related, increasing rates will not resolve these issues!

wage inflation has remained low, stagnant in many cases, particular amongst female workers, this is another critical element of why we are where we are, i.e. low wage inflation v's high asset price inflation, which in turn as lead to rapid wealth inequality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am aware of this, however this will change. It's also dirty money from overseas and flipping properties. There have been reports of even selling 1 Million over asking in the Toronto area, so you can imagine that the money wasn't earned by people like you and me and not even C-level executives. The new changes will be: First of all, foreign buyers, anybody who isn't a citizen or an immigrant will be barred from buying and 2nd, the interest rates are going up and this will cool the market. The story you're describing is sadly reality in Canada, however there are also reports of an already slowing market. And yes, drugs are the big problem in Canada, way worse than you can imagine from Ireland. And salaries in Canada are not that high, way more often you'll find hourly wages for a large portion of all jobs.

Well your whole theory that there is no housing supply issue in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

By housing supply issue, I think he means how quickly this could disappear, with a story like this, perhaps? Combined with the large pipeline of new developments being built and at planning permission approval stage. Together with a hit to demand which comes from (1) affordability ceiling being reached and (2) MNC growth plans being a lot slower than they were the last decade.

Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien has said the Government plans to introduce a vacant property tax in Budget 2023 which could impact on an estimated 137,000 properties

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

Think you missed the point, there is a supply issue right now, but not caused by people buying houses to live in. Its caused by investors and government eating up stock. If prices keep going up there will always be a supply issue as people will never say no to free money.

Government policy is squeezing supply and its reached tipping point.

Once prices revert, and investors go elsewhere, the "supply issue" can unravel very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

I thought I’d read they were backtracking on this, it seems to still be on the table. I hope the vacancy tax is punitive for investors who choose to leave property empty rather than have them utilised... although I’d like to see a carrot approach alongside the stick approach to reassure people letting out property that their rights are not abused by non paying, disruptive tenants.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/vacant-property-tax-will-be-in-budget-2023-housing-minister-says-1346031

Of course, we have a "property crisis", but sure it can wait until 2023...or maybe 2024....we will see.

Government doing what government does.

The government is buying houses for people to live in.

We have a mad housing list, is your belief this is going to magically disappear in the event of a downturn? People will vanish into thin air?

Or is your belief that families are all going to be stuck into the 2 bed apartments in Dublin that the funds currently own?

Regardless of who owns/bought them and how they function if they are rentals, social or private they are all part of the same stock of housing. People need to live somewhere regardless of who provides them. Can you see any government reversing back on decades of social help to housing if anything we are going further left with Sinn Fein. I do take your point but you miss the fundamentals of the supply vs demand only building on a large scale or an exodus of our populus will rectify years of building inactivity from our government and with our population growing by over 10% in less than a decade. Would the Shinners mess around with REITS ? Maybe, but I reckon the consequences could be dire. Who knows maybe Mary Lou might stop investors buying and/or turn the social welfare housing tap off. Maybe but highly unlikely.

Ah yes, of course, the government should just house the whole country, what could possibly go wrong.

And you will note that I said government and investors.

This is a fairly vacuous statement.

If the government doesn't buy them a house, they will need to either go get a house via one of the housing charities, or they'll need to buy one themselves. Either way, their demand doesn't simply vanish, they're still looking a house from the same stock.

Investor activity will be much more significant in the apartment sector rather than houses. Same old story if these get sold off, will they be the type of property we need in the areas we need them to make a significant dent in demand?

Would be interesting. Had a job done earlier this year and from talking to a few lads there's a decent bit of suspicion around. There were shortages and allowances for materials while word was around that someone in the line was holding back stock big time. Would be nice to see a collapse in the price but as with everything in Ireland I'm sure there's just a few people who control it.

I was massively shocked looking at wages in Canada. They're on a similar trajectory to ourselves (ahead in some respects, behind in others) when it comes to over-inflating and overheating areas of the economy which provide few benefits for the citizens of the country. There's money about but outside the major cities I was seeing wages of $45-50k Canadian when it'd be about €45-50 here, $80k+ in big Canadian cities and touching $100k in US cities. Their cost of living is ahead of ours (in most respects) as well, I'd love to see how expensive people think food is in Europe once they've had a look around a Canadian supermarket. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I think you have to assess any potential property crash against the type of property you may be looking to buy...and work out your risk appetite from that and if you are willing to sit and wait.

Not all houses fall by the same %. A mansion in the back of beyond may fall a lot more than a family semi-detached in a desirable area with a good community and infrastructure.

Also, Dublin has never been more attrative for an overseas workforce. You can come to Ireland, work in the top tech companies, get great experience, and improve you English if needs be.

Now if the tech companies pulled out of Ireland well that's a different conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

current inflationary pressures are effectively not related to the money supply,

I think you are 100% wrong here. Look at core inflation that strips away energy prices as an example, still way higher than the 2% benchmark rate.

As to the rest of it, the past 10-20 years we have had China absorb global inflation and Central Banks usher in a new era of ultra low-interest rates, and we are where we are now... Its going to be tricky to get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

Given the low level of stock currently, if punitive taxes were promised in the near future when we’re headed for major global economic headwinds it will bring vacant properties back to market and it would make a big difference. Market perception can flip very quickly. The question is does the govt have the balls to do it against any lobbying.

Id like to see a use it or lose it policy, it’s criminal to have so many empty, deteriorating houses around the country, seeing so much vacant property in the cities is depressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement