Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The employment crisis in the hospitality sector.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The industry is also subsidised by the taxpayer through social welfare, thousands of people in hospitality on low pay qualify for the Family Income Supplement payment. Its basically the government admitting that the industry pays so badly that they have to top up employees wages in order for them to survive.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what's your solution ?

Pay hospitality staff more so that more places become less viable and go out of business ?

Then you won't need to worry about them getting the FIS, you'll need to worry about them getting the dole full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We're at statistical full employment. Hospitality sector workers are abandoning ship to other sectors that don't treat them like dirt. Factory jobs up and down the country are humming.

If the hospitality sector is cross-subsidised by the state to this extent, lots of owners don't have a business model, they're essentially roundabout dole recipients themselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Stop being greedy bastards and get with the times.

Every other industry has to make changes as time progresses, which means many business owners have to make lifestyle changes to maintain sustainability into the future.

Many business owners take a temporary hit on profits because they invest for the future. Hosptality doesn’t. They think they can get away with their greedy, bullying ways because there will always be ‘poor wealthy fellas’ types like yourself.

If you can’t get staff, then consider changing your ways. That’s how business works. Stop crying to the government for cheap labour because you might have to take three foreign holidays instead of four.

But your assumption is that every hospitality owner is greedy.

Whereas in reality is that it's a very tight margin industry very exposed to market changes, with a customer base that are very price aware.

But yeah sure go ahead, fcuk them, let's shink the industry instead of trying to grow it, let's put plenty of people out of work, let's put supplier and all the ancillary parts of the economy that go with hospitality on the back foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I haven't a clue what that has to do with what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not every pub owner is.. but my local as I’ve said, prices have skyrocketed, both food and drinks, pints are six, main course about 15 …yet the owners last year bought their 6th pub… the Independent reporting this city centre popular spot was sold to them for 3 million…

meanwhile we are supposed to feel sorry for them.

Ok then, let their costs increase by increasing their staff costs

They might have to cut back and close one or two of their pubs.

But as long as it's not your local or a one you like I'm sure you won't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If they cant afford to pay their staff enough then they shouldnt be in business. Let them close up and sell the premises to someone else who can make use of it without relying on government handouts to pay their staff.

I don't see why hospitality businesses should be treated any better than any other business. If a construction site wasnt paying workers enough would you be defending them? Or a factor? Or a call centre? Why are pubs and restaurants treated by you like a sacred cow?

without relying on government handouts

So what handouts do the hospitality actually get ?

Many industries get some sort of government support be it grants, loans etc.

But what exactly do the get to be treated any diffently, or a sacred cow as you put it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because if there's one thing that characterises Irish people its complacency. Sean doesnt mind being treated like a rube so long as the fella next to him is getting the same treatment.

Reduced VAT rates for hospitality businesses

Price fixing legislation (Minimum Unit Pricing) to help pubs compete vs off-sales

Blind eye turned to practices such as forcing chefs to work excess hours in breach of labour laws

Various work permit programs for South Americans to work in Irish hospitality

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

The hospitality industry has been fcuking itself for years, this is by no means a sudden thing,. They dumped the social chatty Irish barman for a cheaper European or further afield barman / barista/ waiter so the experience for the American tourist is no longer an Irish experience. Thats what people come for good old fashioned social Irish people, who laugh tell a joke and inter act with the tourist, making them feel welcome and happy. Now all you get are surly Europeans who have no personalities and hate the job and they certainly show it. Nothing to do with PUP or laziness. The Europeans went home and now they want to force the irish to come back, not a chance in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In terms of pubs, I read articles in business supp of Sunday Times about business plans for new pubs in Dublin assuming 30% net margins.

In contrast, JD. Wetherspoon makes 7.8% net margin, as far as I recall.

Vat decrease has been passed on to the public and the public love it, no surprise there.

Regardless of what people say around here MUP is not about pubs.

Many industries turn a blind eye to work practices, nursing homes, meat packing for example.

I was looking for specific supports they get not things they do and get away with.

Is there a specific hospitality visa for South Americans to come to Ireland ?

And Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

As I understand the issues, running costs are too high for targeted profit models to work so higher prices have to be charged but then wages cannot rise as this will feed into even higher costs. Solution? Well, firstly, the question as to whether there are in fact too many hospitality businesses in Ireland is one that does not get put out there by the industry; they seem to be clinging to this idea that we could go back to what we were in 2018/2019 in terms of business levels - this is utter nonsense. We need to see some consolidation and haircuts in the industry.

Personally, I think the reason there is a wage shortage isn't just to do with low pay and poor conditions but is also due to the supply and demand imbalance; in effect that we have too many restaurants/cafes/pubs/hotels versus the demand that is there and the lack of employees mirrors the lack of demand, which would apply to mean that filling the vacant positions right now (which isn't going to be possible btw) would just mean that there are a lot of people employed in a lot of businesses that are competing for a smaller market share than they can realistically garner in a manner which makes them viable.

Vat decrease has been passed on to the public and the public love it, no surprise there.

🤣 And pigs have been known to fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

your situation don’t add up, paying staff a fair wage, and charging fair prices for products and services does not mean they’ll be closing pubs especially after spending 3 million on the 6th one ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah would agree with that 100%, there are loads of hospitality businesses in Ireland that are just no longer viable and instead of complaining that they cannot get cheap labour they need to accept they are no longer viable and close down becasue supply has outstripped demand. There are any number of small towns in Ireland with 10 pubs along the main street, not all of them are viable. My own uncle is one of them, a publican who refused to move with the times and serve food and now all his regular drinkers are dying off and not being replaced and theres tumbleweed blowing through the place most of the week. In my own small town a fourth coffee shop opened recently and its already obvious that the demand for it just isnt there, it is empty every time I walk by.

On the flip side Im an acquaintance with a publican who only got into the trade in 2012 and is now on his sixth pub and is minting it becasue everything he is involved in is in high demand areas. He can more than afford to pay his staff better to retain them but in the pandemic he let them all go and now is struggling to find staff. He even asked me to work weekends for him a few months back for the grand sum of 11 euro an hour, I laughed because I know from his wife that his city centre pub is turning over 60k a week or 3 million a year. Yet he expects people to work for 11 euro an hour. This simply does not compute, people cannot make their rent on such low wages.

• Advertisement

The other thing is that the hospitality "market" is only shrinking because of costs - a weaker currency (not within our control) or a lower cost of living would make it affordable to pay everyone less, and also mean cheaper inputs, and peoples purchasing power remains the same. The end result is tourism to ireland is more attractive and competitive worldwide, we get more tourists, and hospitality sector gets more business providing more opportunities for staff.

It's not a new idea - countries like Spain, Portugal and Greece have all been doing this for decades. Keeping the cost of living down aggressively fuels a tourism boom (although those countries also benefit from climate) - likes of Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria all benefit from low cost of living driving western tourism there also, without the sunny med climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

In a tourist town in County Limerick near me my daughter worked 3 summers ago at this stage for a summer job , all staff were on minimum wage and my daughter was on some lesser minimum wage because she was only 18 . All tips were taken by owner to go towards paying the staffs minimum wage wages.

One day my daughter cleaning a table got talking to the american couple finishing up, they were on about their holidays in Kerry and how they enjoyed irish dancing theyd seen, my daughter explained how her sister used dance in competitions etc , costumes she wore etc and they enjoyed the chat and gave her a fiver tip as she returned to kitchen with cutlery, The female owner followed her into the kitchen , grabbed her arm and snapped the fiver out of her hand saying staff were not allowed keep tips , she actually hurt my daughters hand grabbing her. My daughter came home that night in a flood of tears and never went back This female owner drives a Big flashy jeep and loves showing it off. This is why hospitality has major issues getting staff. GREED

Hopefully Tips legislation has stopped this nasty owner and her equals. I wouldnt bet on it.

Yup, can't remember if I mentioned on this thread or not, distant family have a takeaway on the other side of the border. Humming along nicely. Back in the day they opened in the South and couldn't believe the margins in comparison. It was along the lines of 40% v 20% or 60 v 30, can't remember net or gross. Long story short they raked it in for a couple of years, weren't really enjoying the extra hassle and the only kid they could give it to wasn't interested so they closed up. In less than 2 years they were delighted with the money they made despite only being able to spread the start-up costs across a short time.

The further this thread goes the more it seems the entire tourist industry is some sort of state subsidized scam. Incredible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

VAT decrease pocketed by many business owners. When the original VAT decrease came in at the beginning of the pandemic a local coffee shop didn't change its price. Then when the VAT rate was restored he had signs up saying "price increase due to increased VAT rate". Money for jam for that coffee shop.

Think a little bit more on it, it’ll come to you.

Yep he used the VAT changes to increase his price and therefore his net take. Coffee was €3, should have reduced to say €2.85, he left it at €3 and paid less VAT to Revenue, then increased to say €3.20 rather than restore to the original €3.

The VAT decrease was introduced to support an industry which was hit far harder than many others during Covid, it was not to decrease the prices they charged customers. In fact if they did reduce the prices in the manner you suggested, the reduction in VAT would have had a meaningless effect and completely missed its target, support for the industry.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a773d-minister-donohoe-announces-tourism-and-hospitality-vat-rate-to-move-to-9-on-sunday/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I did hotel work as a student starting as a kitchen porter, then bar staff then night porter.

Dave10 tells us Irish people think it's beneath them and they consider they are too good for these jobs. Who was doing these jobs for decades before open EU borders?

There is no pension, casual hours and even if you become permanent you are expected to work unpaid hours. Do you want to spend 40 years at that and have your body broken from hauling wheelie bins of glass down to the cellar? Finish at 3am and be told to be in for 7am and if mention European working time directive and minimum rest period you get laughed at.

So as a student I did something else that will be widely mocked by some here. I left hotels and went to McDonalds who treated me well, never ever messed up my wages and never asked me to work for free. Some did training programs but I knew it would be over for me after college.

McDonalds are cleaner than 4* star hotels and realy do not do enough to emphasise and advertise their hygiene. Much better employer than all the Irish hotels I worked for. Including the one who didn't pay us as agreed and so had to bring us in to get cheques from some other account. Meanwhile the bosses spent the day in corporate hospitablity at Galway races.

Am long gone out of this area now have an office drone job. Irish hotels cannot get Irish staff as they treat them like dirt.

• Advertisement

But if the vat is reduced then the price should come down.

A €1 item with 11% vat should cost the consumer €1.11

The same €1 item with 9% vat cost should cost the consumer €1.09.

I recall well before COVID there was a vat reduction for the hospitality industry and at the time remember price reductions being passed on.

Again, the Covid related vat reduction the poster was referring to was not intended to be passed on to the customer, which the earlier reduction was. The Covid reduction was introduced to support the sector most affected by Covid. Passing on the reduction to the customer would have meant no support for the industry in was supposed to help. It is there in the Government release I linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

You are right. The purpose of the VAT reduction was to decrease the cost to the customer thus encouraging them to spend and support the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

It’s not the vat at all it was the pup

VAT is paid by the end consumer so I'd have thought it was to encourage consumer spending, not to subvent the business. Wage subsidy schemes and the Covid restrictions support scheme were enough of a life support to businesses. Anyway, the prices shouldn't have gone up once the rate was restored.

Edit. Think it’s time to move the conversation on.

• Advertisement

Ha ninja edit.i was just coming back to ask where specifically in that press release that it says the measure was to provide additional revenue to the service provider? The measure was to reduce costs to the consumer and therefore increase footfall. But your angry comment is now gone.

Anyway if you could copy and paste the comment from Paschal Donohoe that said the measure was to line the retailer's pocket that would be great.

No mocking from me about McDonalds.

I had heard about their better than average employment conditions.

I note that Supermacs seem to charge more than McDonald's, and yet Pat McDonagh with millions of profit is complaining that he can't get staff.

I am convinced that gross and net margins are higher in Ireland than in the UK, in many sectors.

OK, gross margins may need to be higher, as overheads are higher.

But net margins seem higher here.

There is plenty of profit being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We had lockdowns the last 2 years , pubs pay rent, insurance and they were closed for months, tourists stopped travelling to Ireland, of course they could not make a profit. Most of the cafes I used to go are no longer in business . I don't think you can compare Spain vs Ireland, id say taxs, insurances, wages are higher in Ireland I don't think anyone travels to Ireland for a low cost holiday

One example there's a cafe shop in temple bar it opened in 1974 it closed about 8 months ago. Most business can't continue when the government started the lockdown and they had no customers no income

when the pandemic started alot of low pay workers left Ireland to go back to Poland or other EU countrys etc and they never came back retail and cafes mainly rely on nonnational workers I do,nt think its incompetence no one predicted a world wide pandemic I don't really know why anyone works as a chef as the work seems to involve working long hours every week for not great wages

Most offices are still closed so of course it means there's not so many customers for certain shops or cafe s who rely on workers spending lunchtime there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The crises in employment in Dublin's hospitality industry is related to the housing crises at the moment too.

Covid shutting the hospitality gave it a disadvantage. Ireland is creating a lot of jobs in all sectors. Alot of sectors were creating jobs even in lockdown.

When covid first hit alot of foreigner workers in the hospitality left and went home. There accommodation was probably replaced by somebody working in the non hospitality sector. Now the hospitality is back open alot of foreigners workers are needed to fill these positions that were crested overnight when the hospitality reopened. But there is nowhere to live. The accommodation that hospitality workers were in pre covid has been replaced by a person in a non hospitality industry. Also in dublin rents are so high that alot cant afford to rent on hospitality wages.

Bussiness will shut in the hospitality due to lack of staff and wages will rise for workers in this sector. Except inflation in prices to continue to rise in this sector too as bussiness as there is less competition.

• Advertisement

When covid first hit alot of foreigner workers in the hospitality left and went home.

A lot more of them stayed though. Expiring visas during the covid period were automatically extended regardless of the individuals circumstances.. and foreign workers were able to get the same supports as Irish people during the covid period. It's also worth considering that Ireland had a generally quicker rollout of the vaccine (and a better variant) with less costs to the person than most of the nations where these low-skilled workers came from. TBH I doubt all that many foreign workers left during covid. Would you have some stats to back up your claim?

Housing is an issue as cost factors into things, but it's worth considering that in many cases, while a place might be rented out to one or two people, there's likely to be four or six people living there, sharing the costs involved.

The Hospitality sector declined because it revolves around the transaction of services which are face to face or in person.. Which covid, the government restrictions, and the conditioning we've received from the media/State for two years, have encouraged people to avoid. Even now, many people are hesitant about being around too many strangers, and while most people are jumping at the chance to leave all things covid behind them, the older generations aren't. There's a certain hesitancy among people, as if they're waiting for something worse to come along.. which will factor into hospitality considerations.

Lastly, Ireland has become damn expensive. Oh, it's been noticeably creeping up for a long while but these last two years really made me realise just how bad it is. The cost of a few pints isn't attractive in the slightest. Nor has the general quality of service of venues increased to match the rising prices they're demanding. Pubs generally haven't changed much, the nightclubs in Ireland are still stuck in the 90s (along with the smell of sweat), and cafes are generally little places seating a few people, and hardly comfortable. Takeaway/fast food quality is extremely low, and unreliable (sure, it's meant to be, but take a look abroad at the range of options, and the introduction of "healthy" alternatives). Even restaurants haven't improved much, and the selection is still rather dismal... with excessive costs for what is being provided. Sure, Dublin has a great range of options, but then again, still not what I'd expect of a capital city, for a country that's supposedly as wealthy as Ireland.

I went for a walk around Galway city looking for a decent cafe to spend a few hours reading. No joy. Sure there's a Starbucks. Grand. A whole pile of smaller, more student-like places, but none of them are comparable to the larger, and more comfortable cafes you'll often find abroad. Spoke to a few locals, got recommendations, and ended up in restaurants or pubs instead of an actual cafe that could provide a proper atmosphere (Yeah, Starbucks tends to do it well, but it's still the McDonalds of coffee)

Honestly, I came home just before covid hit, didn't get much chance to play, but after covid was lifted, I went out a fair bit hitting a lot of the larger population centres, and a few of the smaller towns. Cringe. Oh, it's quaint, cute, friendly, or whatever, but it's still little different from 3 decades ago, in quality of service. At the end of my little holiday across Ireland, I looked at what I had spent, and thought to myself that it wasn't even remotely worth it. And I didn't even have any excessive drinking nights, and yet, the costs involved? Yikes.

The Irish hospitality sector refuses to face the hard truths of needing to be competitive, and to provide top quality servicing. It used to do both well, but now? It's generally very poor form. And while I do recommend to my foreign friends to visit Ireland, I don't recommend to them to stay in hotels or spend money outside eating.. it's just not worth it unless you want to spend a fortune, which defeats the purpose of having a "normal" visit to Ireland...

The Hospitality sector, just like the farmers, or any other group in Ireland, are looking for handouts.. rather than fix the problems themselves. If their wages were competitive, if they had a decent reputation for retaining workers, etc then they'd find workers.. God knows there's a sizable number of undocumented workers along with the surges in migrant applications before covid.. the population is here for them, but they just don't want to pay proper wages, be secure places for workers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

I worked in the bar game for 12 years 97-09 and the money was great, pay rises every year and a strong union.

Then when the recession started and pubs lost some of the trade they had in the boom years, they wanted all the old staff gone and had an endless supply of cheap labour willing to work till 4am for a tenner an hour.

Working conditions, cohesion in the workplace and overall level of service went down the toilet and has never recovered.

The majority of publicans are scum. And it pleases me to see some of them closing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The only thing PUP did to support anyone was the staff, who were dropped like bad habits at the start and throughout the Pandemic. It is well known, few hospitality Employers availed of wage subsidies which would have helped at least retain some staff. I've a fair idea as to why employers in this sector avoided wage subsidy schemes.

When sector reopened the same employers then claimed PUP was the reason few employees were returning, this was roundly discredited,, it was infact the case most former employees had actually left the industry and others had left the country entirely.

The Sector has only itself to blame and the crocodile Tears have become quite Tiresome.

I've absolutely no doubt employers foolishly thought they'll re hire easily, attract foreign workers but didn't factor in the lack of accommodation, Lack of interest and a collective two fingers to the Industry which has been acting the B****X for years.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boardsie12

They treat their staff like animals!

Years back, I got a job in a popular Dublin restaurant, and on day 1, instantly gt treated link a sub-human by some fool of a manager, minimum wage and long working crazy hours with only 1 break, and being roared at and shouted at and not even treated well at all.

Same in other **** hospitality jobs, they don't pay well or respect anyone.

Why would anyone want to deal with this nonsense?

I'm glad that some of these restaurants and cafes are struggling and going out of business, perhaps they should have treated people right over the years and this would not have happened, or perhaps restaurants with a bad name should be regulated better and constantly supervised properly.

Respect is key!

Unfortunately, most of these restaurants refuse to respect their staff, and most managers don't give a ****.

It was only a matter of time before this was bound to happen.

Let's hope, going forward, that things change!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No we judt dont want to be ripped off.

7.50 for a bowl of tomato soup

11 euros club sambo

8 euros pot of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Coffee shops boomed like never before during Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Even aside from the staffing crisis, which the sector is entirely to blame for, there's also other matters determining viability that few people are discussing.

Personally I believe and with some experience, a lot of Restaurants, particularly those leased are and have not been viable for quite some time. The Pandemic exposed a lot of vulnerabilities and whilst some will argue government supports made sense they actually created a false economy, propping up business that were just in reality unviable.

There's enormous Revenue Debts warehoused, Substantial Rental Debts owed , Suppliers struggling to get paid and reducing credit terms and of course staffing crisis. I predict a lot of closures in the coming months, already court cases have commenced and there's still un resolved insurance claims, notwithstanding additional insurance and enormous increase in utility and operating costs.

Whilst no one could have predicted the Pandemic the sector was already fragile and I don't believe has recovered from the pandemic, in essence Government supports (and be under no illusions) were Substantial and perhaps necessary to an extent given the uncertainty, but there's a harsh reality and that is , these supports, warehousing of Debts have in essence only prolonged the inevitable, the closing of many, many unviable Restaurants and Pubs.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Are you paid too much?

As I said in an earlier post, people like yourself want goods and services at prices charged in lower cost/pay economies, but also want much higher wages than paid in those economies. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I struggle to understand why people complain about prices, after they have paid, just look at the price list before ordering and you won’t be ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So many people reporting that the root cause of staff shortages are poor pay, conditions like changing shift hours and lack of loyalty to staff. I'm sure it doesn't apply throughout the sector and there are good employers who value their staff. But clear also that many have become used to treating their workers as cheap and disposable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

So 43 euro for two people for a few sambos, soup and tea in a bog standard hotel is good value?

There is an employment crisis at the moment. What I'd like to see are the profit margins some of these Hotels and restaurants are operating at before I have an ounce of sympathy for them not being able to get suitable staff.

Ireland is a massive rip off. There's no two ways about it. I'll always go foreign.

I remember being in Clare for 3 nights about 5 year ago. We paid for a cottage which was 400 euros. Fair enough. Then the receptionist turned around and presented us with a bill for €280 for the ESB. That's a shakedown. I don't have an American accent either.

It's my opinion that a lot of these places are pulling indecent profits and that can be partly attributed to paying minimum wage. In the tourist traps they really don't rely on returning custom either so they don't care to much about the experience. Hence they hire unsuitable staff just to fill a gap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement