Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fate doesn't exist over 38 games, just results, and city had one result better than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Fate doesn't exist, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No I haven't seen noticeable fatigue.

A home draw to Spurs who are playing well, and came with a plan is not a bad result but nowadays the bar is so high that a draw is treated like a defeat.

Draining comeback against Villareal? Really, they were never losing in the tie but once they came out in the 2nd half they showed great energy and played Villareal off the park and won comfortably. Even at 2-2 in that tie I was very confident they would win and they did.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game and not signs of tiredness.

As for yesterday, Wolves did have chances but is that not down to their good play? Why is it always put down to tiredness? Do you really expect them to prevent every team they play against from getting chances?

Did you not see how they won 3-1 in the end? How could they score two goals if they were gassed out?

They're supreme athletes and super fit and look in good shape to me.

50 points from 54 in the league is incredible and beyond criticism in my book and I don't see how they could have done this if they were tired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

You just ring to get tickets or have they an online system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The past few weeks of games makes me think we're fatigued, having played too much football this season. Mistakes creeping in and we're not showing the quality we did earlier on.

We conceded first in our last four league games. Fair enough we got back into each of them, but that has me worried since Madrid aren't as likely to let us back in if they take a lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yup a fast start is required by us.. deffo dont want to be trailing Madrid... hopefully we can get the job done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The attitude of the team is excellent, walking around disappointed yesterday they missed out on the league by a point, champions league final to come and 2 trophies under their arms already. Class

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the sense of fatigue is because United are probably the last team we properly battered in a game. Pretty much every game since that one has been a hard-fought win, having to come from behind often enough.

In the same time frame City have been scoring for fun.

• Advertisement

No one is criticising the points achieved or the results and commitment so I don’t know why you are bringing that into question so you going off on a major tangent there.

Fatigue is only natural after the demands of going the distance in every competition possible this season along with AFCON and the reality of fatigue is losing VVD, Salah and Fab in single game alone and Thiago yesterday or having to play a total B against Southampton afew days after FA cup.

If you don’t think having a semi away leg in CL and being 0-2 down in the game and coming back 3-2 is not physically and mentally draining for next game against spurs then not sure what is and then a FA Cup final week after is so tough.

Will definitely feel better seeing Fab and VVD in training photos this week but I have bad feeling Fabinho has a real race against time so hopefully he’ll be good to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

If you could have only one start next weekend out of VVD, Fab, Thiago, which one would it be??

As i was typing this i was sure i'd have Thiago, but now i think about it i think i'd have VVD, the chances we gave up yesterday was shocking and a team with better finishers would have won the game by a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We have three excellent CBs. We don’t have anyone who does what Thiago does, and our Fabiniho replacements are nowhere near his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Can I just say that in over 30 years of following football I never knew you couldn't be offside from a goal kick! Anyone else in this same boat? (I knew about throw ins) Did they change that recently or what? Why do teams not just sit a player beyond the other teams centre backs for goal kicks then? I have literally never seen any team try to take any type of advantage from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

There only been two games since the final though, and the Southampton team was a much-changed team. Regardless, a bit of a hangover after winning silverware is to be expected. It's only been a week.

I guess I'm not seeing the drop in intensity to the degree you do. Going down a goal early enough in the last two league games hasn't been ideal, but what I see is character, to claw themselves back into the game and then go on to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I posted yeaterday about the Watkins chance against city yesterday, have a look at it, the commentators were saying he was offside, and it was straight from a goal kick i think.

I also was'nt aware of it until yesterday.

If you could be offside from a goal kick then the defenders would be able to prevent a long goal kick by simply standing at the half way line. Attackers could still time runs, but you'd also get a ton of offside calls and the game would be constantly stopping almost immediately after just restarting.

Or defenders would just need to run towards the half way line when the goalkeeper starts his run up.

Pretty sure that's the spirit behind the law anyway.

I honestly feel light I am being gaslit here with this. I was shouting at my screen yesterday that he was clearly 5 or 6 feet offside for Wolves goal and couldn't figure out why it wasnt even been shown again or whatever...to only find out apparantly you can't be offside for goal kicks...no one I was watching the match with either could figure it out and I'd be willing to wager that quite a high % of fans have no idea about this rule, and I'll add commentators to that list judging from what you are saying about the Watkins chance...(havent watched it yet but will)

Well they could and they couldn't. Our centre backs are some of the fastest in the league so may not count for us but most centre backs are slow, alot slower than the attackers they are defending against. If those slow defenders tried this tactic the goalie could still kick it long into the space and those slow centre backs would find themselves in a foot race against much quicker attackers and would cough up 1 v 1's at almost every kick out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the guy who originally broke the story abuot Munich wanting Mane and meeting his agent is now saying Mane is up for the move.

I'd be disapointed losing him for less than €50m if it was to happen.

Losing Mane & or Salah this summer would be a huge loss.

I'd rather keep them and have a good tilt at the league with them next season and then let them go on a free.

• Advertisement

Good point, negates my first point entirely.

But I would still say the reason is to prevent a ton of offsides in a game with defenders playing offside from a goal kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't even think there is necessarily a reason or purpose for the rule - it's just baked into the other rules. When the ball goes off the field of play, you can't be offside from whatever action brings it back into play. The 3 ways of bringing it back into play are corners, throws, and goal kicks - can't be offside from any of 'em.

I think they view any ball that's technically coming back into play as not actually having a fixed position until after the corner/throw/goal kick has been taken... it's like the ball and the line are one. It's almost a physics/philosophical approach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

you'd think it was utd who won something yesterday going by their fans at work and out n about,beaming they are,city rivals me hole haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Pretty sure the Watkins one was from the keepers hands, so not a goal kick but a goalkeeper kick :)

I think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s the most conflicted fan base in world football. One week they’re wearing red supporting their own team, the next week they’re all wearing Norwich colours but not supporting Norwich, then they turn into rabid City fans all of a sudden.

Support your own team, no matter how pitiful and s***e they may be. God knows we did it for long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's mad what happened yesterday. I woke up and went out expecting both Man City & Liverpool to win their games and finish with a 1 point difference. And that happened.

But it's the hope that kills you and Villa leading 2-0. Liverpool tried to break down Wolves but couldn't before eventually doing it late on. Like they have done so many times in the past few seasons. Finding a way to win nearly every game. It's pretty gutting that City ended up winning as the title was close.

But our season is not over yet and still have the chance to win the big one next weekend again. I expect Klopp, Hendo & Milner to be drilling that into the players from today onwards. No time for feeling sorry for ourselves. Channel that emotion into a hunger to win more. Like they have done before. I'm glad that the players got good receptions yesterday to show that there is some positivity to be had. Another CL and a cup treble would be a brilliant season. A long, tough season but could be totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Villa going 2 up actually helped City. They just went balls out cos they had to. At the same time Stevie thought he had something worth holding so made a defensive minded change and invited them on to them. 6 minutes later its 3-2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Who won goal of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was having a look at Norwich, Watford and Burnley to see if there were any players there that could be gotten on the cheap and fill a spot in the squad for us next season.

Norwich - Aarons as cover for TAA if he was available for 5-8m might be worth picking up if the deal for the young lad from Scotland doesn't work out.

Watford - Dennis as the Origi replacement. Ten goals and six assists for Watford is a decent return.

Burnley - I'd probably go with McNeil. We were linked to him a few years ago so we obviously saw something in him then. He does have plenty of talent but we are fairly stacked at LW now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm not sure about is being that tired yesterday. We were running around like headless chickens in the first half, lots of energy buy plenty of passes like we had the shoes on the wrong feet. Maybe I'm being hopelessly optimistic, but it looked like we approached the second half in a very measured way, far more controlled. It was what was needed, and it looked like we played with the hand brake partially up.

That said, these few days are critical. The physios and SS guys have a big week ahead. Thiago will be a HUGE loss, really need Fab at his best.

I can see Bobby playing a big part, maybe even starting, but certainly he has a big part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Unfortunately, the move would be a good one for BM and for Mane, avoiding the bruising PL for his last few seasons, almost guaranteed silverware domestically and giving the CL a rattle every year also. All while playing under an exciting manager at a well ran club..... sound like somewhere we know??

I'd hate to see him go, Mane has given every ounce of himself to this campaign and for me was our player of the season. Scored lots of important goals but his workrate without the ball set the benchmark for his teammates.

He could have easily cracked the chits with having his position changed yet again to accommodate other players (Diaz) but he just got on with it.

Plus he went off and won his continental championship in the middle of the season too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mane’s the real Ballon D’Or contender that nobody seems to be talking about. He’s been nothing short of phenomenal for what he’s managed in 2022 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's only the truth.

Klopp would never go near any of those City players, or Liverpool as a club, you need to be a certain type of person to play for the great clubs. While clubs like City with no history, morals or values will pay the like of Grealish 400k to go on the piss every week. There is a culture at the club, that would not be tolerated at Liverpool.

Seems at City everything is fine, until someone speaks out about a player, whether is Adam Johnson, Mendy, Grealish, Foden ect

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Absolute tosh. You need to take defeat gracefully. Plenty of players on that team deserve it for there on and off field antics. Ederson, Laporte, Fernandiho, Zinchenko, KDB, Jesus, Mahrez just to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Hes 30 and into the last 12 months of his contract. 50m is the best we could hope for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Great to see Mane getting some credit again. He's probably our most effective nog game ayer, back in 2019 and 2020 he was simply unplayable. For much of 2021 he was just very very good, and plenty were looking for him to be dropped/sold/shot (take your pick). He went through bit of a period when goals weren't just going in for him, ball just fell the wrong way, and many were guilty of outcome based and lazy analysis (oh look, his assists are less than Kane, he's sh1te), rather than looking at his actual performances, which never really dropped. Add to that, what he brings to the team defensively, he's been critical.

Since before Xmas, his hard work has been rewarded with goals, his move into a more central position has opened the field to him more and he's been terrific.

He's too humble I think to get the Balon Dor, hasn't the PR machine behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

That is true I suppose. I'd be devestated if we lose him anyway .

• Advertisement

Same. But the club seemed to prioritize sorting Salah contract first and it's annoyed mane I'd say and letting it go into the last 12 months giving his agent loads of opportunity to shop him around.

I definitely don’t want to lose Mane especially for such a low fee after losing Gini and Origi for free last 12 months .Mane is still one of best players and trying to replace him would very tough especially with City bring in Haaland massively strengthening their forward line.

Really hoping Diaz was not bought in as a Mane replacement after all similar in way to to Thiago came in when GIni was left and wasn’t replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Diaz is a great Mane replacement on the left - offers more there than Mane does now. But Mane weirdly has become the ultimate centre forward replacement for Firmino. Since he's gone central it's like his whole game has been reinvigorated, he's been absolutely unreal there. Well deserves a new contract to be the default number 9.

I'd love to keep Bobby around for rotation too though, probably on a reduced contract, and he can also do that deeper attacking midfield role. Bobby and Mane staying another while buys time for Carvalho to step up in that sort of roll too.

Madrid will be looking for a big signing after losing out on Mbabbe. I'll be expecting them to be sniffing around.

I think Mané will stay and Salah will leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't see either leaving this summer. I could see one of them leaving on a free next year but not both.

Mané has been excellent through the middle and even if Salah has a dip in form the reality is that we have no backup for him on the right.

Bobby will be the first to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reckon Mane will go, big money will come in for him this summer and with Diaz there and Carvalho coming in dont see why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Controversial opinion.

I love Diaz and how dynamic he is but I am not sure about his end product.

Relying on him to replace Mane or Salah's goals/assists looks like a pipedream to me atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Me too...yet I can see him improving that end product under Klopp, he improves players like him ten fold, I expect next season him to be getting a lot of the chances he is missing this season when he has a proper pre season to bed in...

Really don't want Mane to go, he's been immense this season, but if he wants a change of scenery, he owes us nothing and I will wish him well....

Klopp did say he wanted Mane to sign a new deal, apparently we are only offering the same money he is on, no pay rise and that's why he is looking elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Very sad article in the Athletic today about the last time we played Real in the final in Kyiv and what has happened since. I hope this is remembered as the week goes on and some day football will be played in Kyiv again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement