Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I never understand why you see let's say Labour get 10% of the vote in a Tory/Lib Dem seat.

The best way to help your party isn't always to vote for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. I recall rowing with a Lib Dem activist in December 2019 over Iain Duncan Smith's seat. He narrowly kept it but would have lost it if the Lib Dems had voted tactically. They didn't and we got him back in.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do not think embedding tactical voting into the perverse FPTP system is much of an improvement (if one at all). While I would make an exception for the current Tory govt, in general I can think of many, many reasons I would not want to vote for Labour/Green/LD at various points and would feel pretty resentful about being told I "had to"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not embedded. Plenty of people don't bother. Fact is, in some constituencies you either get the lesser of two evils or a Tory. You have to decide if you want to vote out the Tory and have a chance of success or just vote whatever way your heart desires.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not remotely embedded, I agree. But there is a push for it at the moment and I am not a huge fan. I think a lib dem voter not wanting to vote Labour in 2019 is entirely reasonable, no matter their views on the Tories.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's reasonable. I'm saying it's a choice people need to make. Voting reform is dead, at least for a decade or two. It's this or the Tories.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The DUP are such a waste of space. Have they ever come up with any ideas no but they will happily oppose everything that does not benefit them. They are like the spoilt little child who get everything untill one day they do not and so oppose anything that goes against them and just like to whinge and moan instead and make everyone's else's life miserable too but not only are the DUP doing that bit they are effecting the whole of the population in Northern Ireland by stopping reform in there health service and payments to people who need them as well as much more.

It's time they left I think the DUP that is. They are useless.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the 2015 GE the DUP got 184,260 votes. In the 2022 Assembly election they got almost exactly the same, 184,002 votes.

In between in 2017 they got 292,316 votes. You can argue this was Brexit related, but you have to agree that they lost that extra support.

FPTP sucks. Green party ran 457 candidates in GE 2017. Only 8 candidates saved their deposit. They got 11.8% of total votes, 1,881,306 votes in the 2019 EU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sky news are reporting that a conservative MP has been arrested over rape and sexual assault allegations and it’s been confirmed by the government whips office.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and the alleged rape seems to be a bit of a joke to some...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

What an idiot. It'll now be open season to work out who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is an idiot but probably one who knows he can say whatever he wants and probably still get elected. I've always assumed he is some sort of posh Healy Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Whenever I hear a Tory say something idiotic, I always look up their constituency and you usually find that it has been conservative since ... forever. In this case, Lichfield was a new constituency (re)created for the 1997 GE. According to Wikipedia, it "has very little dependence on social housing and has low unemployment compared to other areas".

Fabricant was the MP for Mid Sfaffordshire, and contested Lichfield when the Mid Staffordshire constituency was abolished. When Fabricant won the seat in 1997, his majority was 238. Wikipedia again: "He has remained the Lichfield MP since, progressively increasing his majority to 4,426 in 2001, 7,080 in 2005, 17,683 in 2010, 18,189 in 2015, 18,581 in 2017 and 23,638 in 2019." He got a massive 64.5% of the votes in 2019, and would have won this seat no matter what the voting system was.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's enough info across various newspapers to basically do a game of Guess Who - every MP that matches the description will be falling over themselves to be seen in Parliament.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So is it known who the suspect is then after all, after the PMQ session?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was easily found on the web when the story broke the other evening. Twitter was awash with it.

The Telegraph not pulling any punches here.

What we are really witnessing is an abject failure of government, much of it down to Boris Johnson and the people he has surrounded himself with.

A common observation about the current crop of ministers is just how unimpressive they are. It is a Cabinet devoid of heavyweights and stuffed with sycophants seemingly unwilling to challenge the Prime Minister for fear of damaging their own political aspirations.

Only the Chancellor has appeared willing to stand up to the Prime Minister, and look where that got him. Sunak has been subjected to a barrage of attacks about his own financial affairs. Some of this scrutiny is justified, but the maelstrom has clearly damaged his authority and his chances of succeeding Boris Johnson.

Bit of a diversion but there was a piece in the FT (paywalled unfortunately) that was basically tapping Wes Streeting as future Labour leader. To really rub it in for Corbyn it was reported from Tel Aviv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Not a surprise that The Telegraph is giving Sunak an easy ride, as it shares his thatcherite leanings on economic matters, but he very much is a large part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement

He's also tainted by partygate and is very close to Johnson. Collapsing Johnson's premiership will mean Sunak will probably have to go as well. His absurd wealth, even by Tory standards won't help.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see Patel is having another go at the Public Order Bill. Reads like a very deliberate attempt to criminalise public protest against infrastructure projects - not exactly big-strong Law and Order to chase harmless OAPs and Students, rather than the actual ASBOs in council estates.

Wonder is this some pretext for big infrastructure bills coming down the tracks (no pun intended) that the Tories know will attract huge protest. Or of course, helps Tory donors somewhere along the chain. Bit conspiratorial on my part but the focus is ostensibly strange to my eyes.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Bear in mind that 2017-2019 were years that saw heavy protesting in the capital. Some of them attracted very nearly a million people. For a government constantly fighting a culture war, this cannot be permitted as it shatters the lie that it's only the wokies in University campuses that are upset.

I can't see this being a pretext for anything else. HS2 is underway in its neutered forum and the Elizabeth line is open at long last. Johnson and his cabal have no interest in anything but themselves. If southern Tories wanted to level up the north, they'd vote Labour.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Another day another scandal with this Government

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Major scoop from ITV. They're releasing photos of Boris Johnson at parties and openly calling into question both him and the police.

Post edited by devnull on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Telegraph have this as a live feed and have a photo up. Johnson is in serious trouble if they are leading with this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think the Metropolitan Police are also in trouble. They claim to have been impartial in their investigation with these photos showing clearly the were not.

I wonder if they bought the bottles inside the red case, just like Jim Hacker did in The Moral Dimension..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sky News are leading with it on the ticker.

Will be interesting to see how this ramps up this evening, tomorrow and during PMQs on Wednesday.

I wonder will Boris jet off yet again?

• Advertisement

Bad news for Northern Ireland. He's gonna have to whip up some crisis to get away with those photos.

Advertisement