Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What unpopular food opinion do you have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The flake is a nice idea but it's too cold to appreciate it. I like to let chocolate melt in my mouth so i can really taste it. But if you're eating an ice cream that's not going to happen. You can smell the chocolate when you chew it, but it won't really melt so I don't bother with the flake.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes! This x 10.

Way too much sauce too. Pizza is not supposed to be wet. There shouldn't be so much sauce on it that the dough gets soggy, and it starts to run off when you pick up a slice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I completely agree. I worked in Pizza Hut in college and that's how they're supposed to make them. People complain when there aren't enough toppings, but there are already far too much sauce and cheese. Not to mention that the cheese is really crap, rubbery, plastic, half mozzarella, half cheddar. It's all wrong.

The best bit about a pizza is a the base. Nice dough, cooked in a really hot oven with the beginnings of charred patches and minimal toppings. Delicious when done well. The ones I made in college, were not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

YR sauce is lovely on a roast beef dinner, especially on the roast potatoes. Cover everything with the gravy and then add the YR sauce 😋😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chocolate should never be kept in the fridge (except in very hot places).

• Advertisement

Things going into the fridge that do not have to be in the fridge is a real pet peeve of mine.

Cold dulls taste. Cold chocolate loses flavour. Cold tomatoes lose flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes. Tomatoes in the fridge are no good. They become grainy miserable things. A good tomato is a thing of beauty.

Judging by this thread, my unpopular food opinion is that I love olives, decent olive oil, all seafood but in particular shellfish like mussels and oysters and oily fish like sardines or anchovies, blue cheeses the stinkier the better, chillis, spices, capers, pickles, interesting veg or salads. Quite a lot of the population here prefers such very plain food. Chicken, sausages, pizza, pasta, burgers, coleslaw. That stuff is grand, it's what I cook half the time for kids anyway. and I'll eat it away with them, but given the choice I prefer to choose the more interesting flavours.

Also probably unpopular, but to me, 99's, or anything made from powdered milk products (like protein powder) smells / tastes like something a baby regurgitated.

'Well done' is a perfectly acceptable way to have a steak, if you like it

Cranberry sauce is disgusting

Baked beans on a fry is for paedophiles only

Coffee>Tea by a long chalk

Guinness is pretty bland for a stout

When making sandwiches, using bread other than a sandwich loaf / sliced pan is rubbish.

Sourdough is massively over rated and awkward to eat.

I hate people acting like the steak police.

Have it whatever way you like it, you're paying for it.

• Advertisement

Can't agree on sourdough, I'm afraid. That stuff is dynamite. Plain white sliced pan is nearly the worst bread for a sambo.

Tomatoes ruin burgers, they don't add much flavour and make the entire thing slippery and unstable. Don't get me started on the big hockey pucks they add to make burgers look bigger.

While I'm on the subject, bigger burgers should be wider, instead of taller. If you can't hold it and bite into it, then you've messed up. Anything that needs to be held together by sticks can piss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Salad is better without salad dressing. Salad dressing usually just makes salads too sloppy and vinegary. I want to taste the actual food, not the vinegar it's swimming in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

"Reduced Salt" always sucks.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Mushrooms and hash browns don't belong in a fry up.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Avocados are incredibly bland and overrated.

Supermacs is by far the nicest of the large fast food chains, and it isn't even close.

The cheaper the sausages the better.

Some people try and appear sophisticated by ordering their steak rare, when most cuts lend themselves far better to being cooked medium.

Salad cream on a sandwich is only lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

The single nicest food on earth is the toast you get in hospital when you wake up after an operation.

Thicker burgers are far nicer though. Juices hold better

So much steak needs to be medium to allow rendering but that's a preference.

If they want it rare, so be it.

There just are cuts better suited to that cook, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

For me anything that's reduced in fat, salt or sugar free is always bad. Just eat something actually healthy like fruit and veg rather than eating a unhealthy product pretending to be healthy.

Only if cooked rare/med rare and who does that?

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Not right. Thinner burgers dry up far too easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Chocolate isn’t interesting unless it is salted or spicy.

Avocados are bland on their own.

There is no meal that can’t be improved with a pint glass of milk with ice in it.

A slice of baguette with butter, roe (/caviar), apricot jam and course salt is heavenly! Seriously, it’s amazing.

Bacon and marmite are friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I never would have guessed, but it seems that the cheesy, soggy and crispy bread that tops French onion soup is controversial.

Personally, I absolutely love it. It's one of my childhood favourites, we used to fight over the bread and leave the soup! But it has to be nice bread, to hold it's shape when soggy and not disintegrate.

A classic and controversial at the same time!

I'm not buying that any part of the combo is crispy, though. Melted cheese isn't crispy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No, but you don't cover all of the bread. The edges get a nice, crispy texture from being toasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭black & white

One of the nicest meals I ever had was in rural Spain, Tagliatelle with truffles cooked in truffle oil. Might have been a few others ‘tastes’ in there too but that was what the menu said.

Not right, right back at you.

If a thick burger is cooked to the recommended temperature in the centre, the outsides are all over cooked, dry and hard.

A thinner burger cooks to temperature more quickly, thus preventing parts of it being overcooked and giving a juicier, more evenly cooked burger.

Perhaps if you overcook both, the thicker one might be a little more moist. Cooked correctly, the thinner will always be juicier.

• Advertisement

Tell me you're basting the top of the burger to stop dry out

Advertisement