Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage omega service

Options
  • 01-04-2022 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

Looking for a recommendation for someone to service a 1970 Seamaster ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Post edited by Wibbs on

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Horologist in Holyhead is v good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I'm in similar situation,

i have a 145.022-69ST speedmaster and i need the bezel changed to the correct bezel (DN90 unfortunately) currently there's a 00s bezel thats perfect condition , but not right for my vintage, (would be willing to sell the newer bezal)

can the guy in Kilkenny to re-luming of the 69 stepped dial and hands , and has anyone else done this with him?

watch is running good , about a second slow per 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I haven't used the guy in Kilkenny, but, personally, I'd be very reluctant to relume a watch of that vintage. Originality is key with these things, especially a pre-moon speedy.

Is it really bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Reluming is quite a hard thing to manage and the lad in Kilkenny doesn't carry out that particular service.

On a vintage watch, reluming if not done to an exceptional standard and with a sympathetic aged lume? It would IMO ruin the watch.

On your bezel query, from being on a similar search myself albeit for a seamaster. Omega aren't supplying 3rd parties anymore and unless you source a bezel yourself, I'd hazard a guess that it's Omega only to get hold of it barring striking it lucky via eBay or one of the watch forums.

• Advertisement

the dial is in excellent shape, just i think the lume has been removed at some point, i think the watch got an overall by omega or a watchmaker in the 00s and they replaced the bezel, hands , and probably crystal also, the watch wasn't used much i would say since then, i don't have any paperwork to back it up. but other than the mentioned parts above and probably the bracelet is a little thin to be speedmaster original, its not a bad watch and works perfectly

That is a lovely piece.

The bracelet does look a bit odd. It looks like the 1159 that came on an early Mark II, but it was 22mm.

The hands look OK, shape wise, to me, but they are probably a service set from later. The dial does look very fresh, but again, looks OK for the period.

It is a pity about the bezel.

The bracelet is a 1162 /575 which I think I've been told it's a mark Ii as you said.

The watch is pre-moon, but only just,

No writing on the back and I'm probably 10000 or 20000 watches too late to be a dot over 90 😭 big difference in price

Confession time: I was going to come in and say, no an 1162 is totally different.

My Mark II has a bracelet ref 1162/173, which is this:

But when I searched on 1162/575, I got this:

But a bit of further searching turns up this: 1116/575, which looks like yours:

Also, it is consistent with your vintage.

Advertisement