Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the finishing score is all that matters

he was second at the masters, only 1 away from first, you can't be any closer, it took a great performance to beat him and he showed on the last day he is as good if not better than the rest

its not pressure, the lad is sorted for his life and about 30 more generations of mcllroys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Context is everything, he finished 3 shots back from Scheffler and at no stage put any pressure on him, Scheffler sauntered to the green jacket.

Its a massive corporate junket

its worth a fortune to them to make the team

they aren't turning up for the fun of it

being on the losing team is bad for brand, but not as bad as not making the team

you put yourself in 2nd behind one player anything can and does happen, as we saw yesterday, as we have seen many times with Jack and Tiger

took a great performance from scheffler of course to win and a good dab of luck as well

but he was still player better than all but one player across the 4 days

that is how you win

Get a grip, they qualify by being top players which mean they have made huge money anyway and don’t need Ryder cup publicity, in fact the only one I know of that it has benefited his image is Poulter. Lots of Americans couldn’t care less about the RC. Being on a losing team means zero to the players apart from professional pride and bragging rights.

• Advertisement

of course they need ryder cup publicity, would ya stop

its like saying that going to the world cup doesn't mean anything to soccer players

it takes them beyond just golf, its a massive event

lots of americans couldn't care less about any sport outside nascar

but a lot certainly do

look at mcginley, has he benefited from it?

They all do

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I noticed that he didn't do any interviews after the final round yesterday.

I wonder why?

wanted to get back to check boards to see what all the begrudgers think of him

• Registered Users Posts: 34,338 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You would have got some odds on him winning no major since 2014 back then.

The sad thing is he may never win another one, on other hand if he did he win few more.

Sadly I don't see it coming for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

If he keeps knocking on the door he will! He's constantly in top 10 all he needs is a bit of luck! Like the Majors are hard to win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Because he's absolutely gutted I would say, he knows that was another great opportunity that passed up. He must be beyond frustrated at this stage. Hard to keep a lid on that kind of frustration immediately after the event. He'll be saying all the right things again by Boston.

It only gets harder with each passing major at this stage. Hope he can put the four rounds together in Boston or at the home of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You seriously think Rory feels no pressure playing in the majors? I think he feels a massive amount of pressure. Its no longer about money that's for sure but he desperately wants to get back to winning majors and especially to get the green jacket imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

A good reference point for Rory would be Ballesteros's career,brillant from young age ,looked like he would dominant for years and didnt win another major from age of 31.There is veracity in both arguments that Rory has had a wonderful career ,definitely in the top 3 of all time Europeans which is some achievement and he might have been expected to do even better given his how well his early career went.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

Its probably a good comparison in lots of ways. I was reading a piece yesterday, might have been on Irishgolfer, maybe some other site, can't remember, but one of the points was that most majors are lost, not won, and the only one who'll think of it as winning will be the guy who was lucky enough to leave with the trophy. I don't necessarily fully agree with it, but there's definitely some truth in it IMO. Even back to Seve's day, Faldo got ridiculed for being boring, still finished with more majors. Nicklaus himself even said he was simply able to keep playing his game longer than the others were able to play theirs. There's an awful lot to be said for just hanging around on the Sunday. 15 years after Faldo, the boring old 2 iron off the tee was given a new name, became a stinger and was suddenly a great thing to use. It still shows that sensible and strategic (or defensive and boring, whichever way you look at it), goes a long way in the majors. Can Rory curb his natural attacking game ? Does he need to ? or do more of it ?

Meh, I dunno, maybe we're overthinking it and it just comes down to golf is hard. Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. There's still not many people finish ahead of him in a major, so he's doing something right, without getting over the line. I think this one will definitely feel like one that got away though, along with Reid's Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think this is one of the one's that will hurt the most. He came in feeling good, comfortable with his game. Starts hot and is leading after the first round, one of the big things holding him back in the Majors was starting slowly. The frustration he feels with himself and his game after this one is huge imo

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Golf is juts a funny old game.....it's you against the course. So much can make or break a win from a loss.

I remember when Rory won his first and there was almost this certainty that he'd go on and win dozens more...I remember thinking nonsense.

They have been talking about freaky fridays and poor starts for over 10 years now, that's back when he was winning majors

they all do it, look at all the big names who were nowhere at the PGA, yet mcllroy is nerves, was top 10 for about 10 years, was only 3 shots off the win last week with some poor play?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭blackcard

So frustrating watching Rory. Huge drives leaving him 100 yards to the hole, plays his wedges to 40 foot. Just after taking him 4 to get down from 68 yards. Amazing that he can't perform this facet of the game adequately on a continuous basis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Xander10

Decent round, well In contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Putting well in this one

• Advertisement

Wedge play still seems poor enough this week. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned Harry isn't on the bag this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm away for the weekend so not getting any coverage. Do you know who's the caddy this week or why Harry isn't there?

Harry's wife is due a baby. Niall O'Connor I think is his name. A friend who caddies for him once before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Good he has a mate on the bag and someone he'll feel comfortable with.

Rather than, say for example, someone that might be an experienced career caddy that might improve his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Birdie on 1 to be sole leader

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

His wife is due so Rory gave him the week. In fairness it hasn't affected his performance, it's almost like caddies are overrated.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He won’t be there for the US Open either, too right, birth of child more important than his job.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

It’s weird. Mcilroy is a woeful golfer as most say around here. Brutal with his wedges, a dodgy putter, caddie is crap, has a bad temperament and he also talks a lot of ****. Yet the Canadians love him and he is top of the leaderboard. It’s no wonder he probably won’t go near a Irish open in the near future. Don’t blame him. And he more or less saved the Irish open when it was on its knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

He wouldn’t b as good as half the lads that play the boards outings. Now that is quality

Advertisement