Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Why should I have to defend my faith? I most certainly dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I know. You'll have to excuse me asking questions. Unfortunately I wasn't given the gift you were.

I do wonder why though. Why would God treat some to a gift and others not? Doesn't seem particularly fair.

But as you said, you did your research and so the answers must be fairly easy for you.

Or not. If all you have is faith, who needs answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Though no Republican was denied communion for reinstating the death penalty.

So much for the pro life church.

I could answer, but what's the point? You say it's not fair that I've been given a gift, and you haven't. But in order to receive a gift, shouldn't you be open to doing so? You don't seem to be, so I don't bother answering your questions. There are plenty of scholarly articles which could more ably answer your questions in a far more eloquent manner than I could.

But that's besides the point. I do not have to defend my faith to anyone. I don't have to justify my beliefs, nor explain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would you like to share the schedule? I'm generally busy on Thursday nights and I wouldn't like to miss anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

So you read the bible, checked on the somewhat dubious timeline source of the texts included in the bible, read about much older religions that also have gods born of virgins and similar motifs and still, you made your stand with the bible.

Why ? Wouldn't the Quran be the updated word of god if He's dropping updates in a linear fashion?

Again, I have faith. It's a gift. Given by God.

Sure you do , sure is, sure.

You've already said that platitude, I have faith that you'll say it again.

Ah go on, try and explain why I'm happy in my ignorance while you have "faith".

Try it, without the reflex motto branding -" Faith, it's a gift, given by god".

• Advertisement

How would I know why you're happy in your ignorance? Surely that's for you to answer. Not me.

I'd say you must have been a favourite amongst your teachers 😄

They and apparently a guy I don't even know called Jesus, claimed to love me for who I was.

I'd say they used the word "special" quite a lot

Only when describing that Jesus character from the fiction section, among all the gods he was special, because he loves me so much that he killed himself(not really, it was a fake out, he rose again after a good rest, before retiring for good back to the home planet) for me so now I owe him, big time, none of the other gods had tried that approach - extortion.

I was impressed, this was obviously a god who had studied the mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Then, can I ask, why do you believe in what you believe in? If faith truly is a gift, someone must have given it to you in the first place.

What made you go back?

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I don’t have a faith myself unfortunately, but I’m envious of those who do. It must be incredibly comforting knowing / believing that there is a higher being and that death is the gateway to an eternal afterlife.

It’s just infinitely more hopeful than you’re dead and that’s it. Like I mentioned before, I was really touched recently at a religious ceremony for a family member. It was a beautiful day. I wish I did believe, but it’s just not there. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If you believe the historical Jesus myth, one thing to think about is the Spartan revolt against the Romans. That's fairly well documented, including how the locals complained about the crucified Spartans on their crosses who took weeks to die. Weeks.

So just 3 days? Nahh - he was alive when they took him down from the cross, healed him up in a cave and faked the resurrection thing. Good pub. Probably disappeared after that like you're suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Surely it’s obvious why anyone believes what they believe in? Because their values are passed on to them within the family and within schools, within the various social institutions which uphold, encourage and maintain these values, beliefs and traditions.

It’s been consistently put forward throughout the thread this idea of “getting children while they’re young”, and without this early instruction, adults would not have the values they do, which they pass on to their children. That is the most basic function of the family - to educate their young and to pass on their values to their young. They enrol their children in schools which support their efforts. They enrol their children in clubs and sporting activities which support these values. That is the whole idea of people having children and raising their children in accordance with their values.

The idea of faith itself being a gift is that it is a gift from God, and that it is an invitation to everyone to accept the gift of faith, and to enter into a relationship with God. Some people accept it, some people reject it, but it’s available to everyone.

Your attempting to argue that religious ethos schools in Ireland should be deprived of public funding can be easily seen as an attempt to deprive religious communities of their religious freedom to share in their faith, which many people believe is the natural order of man. Your attempts to deprive children of this opportunity and to introduce disorder is why many people perceive it as a threat, which is why they are opposed to it.

As regards the idea of faith is for people who are lazy - I tried being non-religious once, there was nothing to it 😏

(in case the joke sails over your head - I do not conflate non-religious with atheist or anti-theist, I see each as a distinct concept)

• Advertisement

fiction section? 🤣

With the amount of creative writing you've done in a lot of your responses, you really should think about doing a few short stories.

Thank you. I'm not saying that having faith is panacaea, but for me, faith is both what motivatates me to do my best for myself and also for others - and it also brings light in moments of darkness.

A few moments in life when all seemed to be crashing around me, and one or two little passages from the bible - both new and old testament spoke directly to what I was going through. I spurned it as nonsensical, as coincidence, as just a random happening. But no, they kept coming back in one way or another time and time again.

A lot of these occurences were in the small banal occasions of life as well. For example, after sitting in a restaurant in Amsterdam, having a coffee after walking through Oudekirk, I got up from my table and got my jacket to put on. A woman sitting at the table next to me said that I dropped something. I looked down on the ground and picked up the piece of paper with just one small passage from Psalm 46: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."

That piece of paper was not mine. I never saw it before, and I quickly disgarded it. But the phrase would not leave my mind. It was probably one of the most appropriate passages for me during a time when I was on a short holiday, and worrying about having to return to work where I was at the receiving end of a lot of bullying. I felt I had nobody to talk to - nobody to help me - nobody to just be there for me. I was at a very low ebb in my life, and the holiday was a welcome escape. But later that day, that night, and the days after it too, those words gave me strength. I felt I was not alone. I felt that God, whom I had rejected, was reaching out to me, inviting me back. And in small, easy steps, I did.

Hope that explains a little of the long journey of many small steps that took me back to believing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I, and it appears most of this thread, would be very happy for you to have your faith. As you post shows, it gave you solace and strength and helped you through a difficult part of your life.

But what strikes me if your attitude. You, and there are many like you, seem to take the view that you were special to get the gift, but even more so by accepting it. That its other peoples fault if they don't believe.

With the church losing support, surely it should be trying to get new members, not dismissing them as unworthy.

Christianity is based on helping others to hear the message, its not supposed to be an 'I'm alright Jack' position.

I wouldnt consider myself special, or important, or even worthy to get the gift of faith. What was most special was the gift itself. What was most special about the gift is that it was freely given - even after I rejected it many times. But once I accepted it, then it felt right.

People have the freedom to believe what they wish. They can either be open and accepting to a belief system, or simply ignore it. What I take umbrage with is the denigration of an entire community for the perceived ills of a few. I also take umbrage with the perceived notion that Catholics should somehow have to defend their belief. I am absolutely certain there are plenty of people, and forums out there who would love a chance to "debate" the veracity of both sides of an argument. I am not one who likes to engage in such debates - because I don't feel I need to.

WRT the church losing support ... I am more for quality rather than quantity. I would love to see the more genuine believers rather than those following a social norm or expectation to do what is required when it comes to hatch match and dispatch. It would be far more disingenuous to go through any religious ceremony when you have no faith.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I am all for the separation of church and state. It's something that should have been done decades ago. Let the state provide the education and healthcare needs for the population. The religious institutions of the state should hand over the properties where these occur - for a suitable and market based price - and then let the state carry on with it's functions without interference of the church, and the church carry on its functions without the interference of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

If you need to dodge the content of a post by merely moaning about its length, then perhaps your original point was the opinionated waffle. This is not a blog. But it is not Twitter. It is a forum for discourse and debate. And the idea that complex ideas can be distilled down into single sound bite sentences belies the attention span of our generation, and not the content or correctness of my points or posts.

However I can dumb down, and shorten down, my two points for you if it helps.

1) Your claim some here want to "ban" religion is nonsense. Which you tried to back up by suggesting one person said our species would be better without it. MUCH different to saying ban it. The fact is there are many things people, myself included, think we would be better without. But we would not move to seek bans. So you were spewing nonsense hyperbole about stuff no one had actually said.

2) Your suggestion someone might be doing something good to another due to religion. I question for two reasons. First we can't run the counter factual. Second it is equally true many are doing bad things due to religion. As the old saying goes "Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but getting good people to do bad things often takes religion". We have innumerable examples of this such as parents who let their own children die, often painfully, of medically treatable conditions solely because of their religion.

As the old saying goes "Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but getting good people to do bad things often takes religion".

Ahh nozz ‘tis hardly that old?

Ever the secular rationalist, Weinberg is known among scientists for his outspoken opinions on the subject of religion.  Weinberg told a New York Times interviewer in 1999, “With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.  But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” His hostility to religion seems to have grown.  “As time has passed,” he observed, “my feelings have gotten stronger and stronger.  I really dislike religion intensely.” 

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/weinberg.html

Colour me shocked that a man with an intense dislike of religion would come out with such a statement, in 1999.

Or maybe I’m just getting old 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What is creepy to me is this concept of "ownership" of kids. I do not feel parents own their children. Rather they are stewards of their children and their children's upbringing on behalf of society as a whole.

And as such we as a society very much do, and should, have a say in aspects of how children are raised. For example if you decided you wanted to raise your children with zero education of any kind at all.... or that you wanted to discipline them with extreme violence.... or if you decided the best form of sexual education was for you to personally give them hands on experience..... you would very quickly see how much society would take an interest in how your raise "your" kids and how far your belief they are "yours" will get you.

Clearly there is a discussion that was had, and should continue to be had over time, as to how much and how far society should intervene and how much should be under the sole control of the steward.... but there is certainly nothing "creepy" about us as a society discussing how certain aspects of parenting and schooling should.... or should not be.... implemented.

It has been awhile since I checked the current situation there. But the last I remember is that when formally defecting in this way got popular, the catholic church literally changed canon law so people could not do it any more. So the service offered by websites like "countmeout" was no longer possible. I was one of the ones who got in before the church plugged that leaky hole in their artificially inflated membership numbers.

Are we discussing the subjectivity of what each of us considers "old" now? 23 years is not exactly the blink of an eye. But if the only thing in my entire post that you can take issue with or respond to is my use of the word "old", and not any of the actual content of the post itself... then that's good. :)

His quote is not wrong, even if it is a bit simplistic though. Someone could append to the end of it for example ".... and also to get bad people to do good things, often takes religion". This can be equally true. His original statement is incomplete in that regard. Which comically enough means I have gone further to address directly, and rebut, what he said than you did :)

The point of my reference to the quote however is not to blame religion for getting good people to do bad things..... which it does... but the part saying "you would have good people doing good things".

To point out that the autonomic response some people have to ascribe the good deeds of people to religion is nothing more than assumption. A fact belied by the numerous people of no religion who also do good things.... or by statistics showing per capita charity higher in secular countries than in religious ones and so on.

So when BA came out with the comment that someone, somewhere, is likely doing something good to someone else due to religion... the response to that has to be A) You do not know that, because they would likely do the good thing without religion too and many do and B) this is also negated by the fact that in that same moment someone somewhere is doing something awful to another, or is suffering needlessly, due to religion.

Are we discussing the subjectivity of what each of us considers "old" now? 23 years is not exactly the blink of an eye. But if the only thing in my entire post that you can take issue with or respond to is my use of the word "old", and not any of the actual content of the post itself... then that's good. :)

His quote is not wrong, even if it is a bit simplistic though. Someone could append to the end of it for example ".... and also to get bad people to do good things, often takes religion". This can be equally true. His original statement is incomplete in that regard.

Aye, ‘twas more of a light-hearted observation 👌

The statement is complete though, and it isn’t just wrong, it invokes an association fallacy to make the argument, based upon Weinbergs own dislike of religion - it stands to reason that he would attribute the motivation for good men to do evil things, to religion.

It’s a slight reworking of a quote that’s often mistakenly attributed to Edmund Burke as the first person to invoke it -

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/04/good-men-do/amp/

I’m not surprised though that it’s mistakenly attributed to Edmund Burke as it’s originator given his views on the importance of religious institutions in society, but chances are he nicked it from the Bible, which is replete with examples of similar sentiments to motivate men to do good works and to defend against evil -

https://www.openbible.info/topics/doing_nothing_in_the_face_of_evil

Aaanyways, good to see you’re keeping well, it’s been a while 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That kind of goes back to the confirmation bias: you were looking for a sign so you found one. If it hadn't been that piece of paper, you would have seen something else.

Also, you missed the first question: why do you believe what you believe in in the first place? Someone must have put the idea in your head at some point, and this is the crux of my argument:we're born into religions or into religious families, but we're never born with religious beliefs.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement