Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It didn't last a fortnight with a neighbour of mine last year, Clik is the best

Just a heads up, there was a lot of nematodirus in my lambs FEC today........ must've been another hatch in the last fortnight.

They're dosed about four weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

New

Gona dose mine this weekend.. notice a few lambs starting to lack thrive I thought. I’m in the midlands too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Treating a lamb here at the moment for swayback. Was with the vet today again and he told recommended that I start giving the ewes a bolus with copper. I've always only done the ewes with a 4 in 1 bolus as the ewes would have a good bit of texel breeding and the lambs the same. I'm going to give the lambs a bolus in the next few days but I see on sheep products.ie that you can also get a copper bolus for lambs, would this be suitable for texel Cross lambs? The vet did say that since a bolus is slow release you wouldn't have anything to worry about anyway. Just looking for other peoples thoughts/opinions. Will get him to blood test the ewes later on in the year to know exactly where I stand.

We use copper here a bit on our lambs, it really puts a shine on the lambs, I'd call it a natural growth promoter. It doesn't seem to be any side effects in Charolais/vendeen lambs out of texel x ewes but get bits of photosyntesis in the lleyns and texel lambs,

Vet said that photsynthesis can be caused by a problem in the liver which is where the copper can poison You'd probably get as much photosynthesis in lambs on typhon. But we don't use it in the texel/lleyn lambs now anyway.

We'd really notice it in the Charolais and Vendeen rams if we didn't give them copper two or three times/year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

farm here is high in molybdenum which locks up animals using the copper..all cattle have get a copper bolus on turnout if not they stay as brown angus's..suffolk sheep dont thrive here, always scuttery even showing low FEGs..we are breeding out the suffolk blood and changing to texel and llyen sheep over the past few years and diffrence is night and day in thrive and cleaness..id put it down to the molybdenum anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Do you use boluses for copper or inject? Don’t know, can you get a copper dose?

We use animax copper boluses, I think that dosing isn't effective in high molybdemum area

• Advertisement

Be interesting to try copper in the few suffolks you have laft

tried bolus's,mineral drenches etc..all dried them up but only for a short period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭148multi

Had swatback this year in two lambs, it could be 30 years since we had it.

Texel are very sensitive to copper, gave ours the mayo bolus and a few super booster drenchs with copper.

Gave a bolus to a Charolais ram early in the year, only realised after I had it given to him, I'd say he had a touch of photo sensitisation after it, wasn't bad with it though.

So would people recommend going with the copper bolus then or not?L, seems to be pros and cons. The vet did say that people in our area would be giving copper to all sheep regardless of breed.

I would take your vet's advice, they will know what's going on local to you

Personally i wouldnt give it,seen bad outbreaks of coppor poisioning,killing 40% plus of animals in a bunch

(But i live in a high coppor area,some of our fields would be double the recommended rate.....you can get your fields mineral soil tested)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

a lot of vets , (excellent in other fields ) know sfa about sheep

mostly white face sheep here (texel and belclares) and we don't supplement with copper , we do give copper boluses to the cattle and cows however

Your last sentence says it all, it depends on your land, over the years we've had problems due to iodine, cobalt and copper deficiency. You just have to build on experience and herbage and blood testing. Even though we bolus we still see we get a boost in the lambs by giving cobalt in the worm doses.

there is a chelated mineral dose that mayo health care do..,Blast off..i think its called,i was the most effective mineral supplement we used so far,last year did a crude test here on it with store 50 store lambs..gave it to 40 and marked and left off 10 random lambs,the 40 did average over 50 grams dlwg than the 10 who didn't get it

few years previously we blooded tested ewes 4 weeks after giving boluses only to find 2 out of the 10 showed increased trace element in the lab report,..spent €450 on boluses that year..never again,..most vans calling in to the yard here pedalling mineral for cattle and sheep dont usally make return trips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

maggots here on tuesday, more maggots this evening.....keep a close eye on them!

Waiting to shear here maybe weekend after next...still a bit too cold to shear i think

When giving lambs second worm dose what type of product would you use?

We did a FEC last week and it was mainly nemotadirus.. very little stomach worms so just did white dose again. A neighbour sent off a FEC s to Oldcastle Lab and came back very high but with no breakdown of what sort so we're doing another for him this morning to know what to dose with. but it's early for much ordinary stomach worms.

Ivermectins didn't work properly for him last year so he really has to be careful

Just tested my neighbowurs there now, very high stomach worm count, never saw them as bad this early, lambs are ten weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What's the department address you send the pink copy too. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

It's your local DVO you need to send it to. What part of the country are you in ?

North east, think it's navan then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Have an annoying problem with sheep, probably going on for a couple of years now. Running them in well fenced fields, in a paddock system, try get the grazing period around the 3 days but sometimes stretches out to 6/7 days depending on field and grass at the time.

anyhow, they seem very unsettled, as in if you open a gate to drive into the field they come running to get out the gate, so much so it’s a struggle sometimes to get the gate closed behind the tractor. I also have to drive through some fields to get to others. I don’t know is it just spoilt they are or what. Anyone experience the same?

i don’t think grass is the problem, I don’t force them to graze too tight or to graze too strong of grass

Have similar when feeding sheep nuts. One field is behind a housing estate, ewes run to eat the flower beds😂😂.

They've calmed down now for me. Think it's just they're looking for fresh grass

• Advertisement

Mine are the same. spoilt they are. To make it worse there's two paddocks they don't like and they roar at the neighbours when they go out into their own yard.

Our paddocks are in a circuit so we don't have to drive through a stocked paddock to get to any paddock. The sheep go clockwise around the paddocks normally and we had a lot of work this morning to get them to go anticlockwise to get them back into the yard for footbathing and vaccination.

They're only two or three days in every paddock so they're spoilt

Advertisement