Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia in Football - 17 Year Old Jake Daniels Comes Out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus I wouldn't be using golf as an example of tolerance towards minorities.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This just seems like you're biased against football to be honest.

If Tiger Woods came out as gay he absolutely would get abuse. Look at the abuse given to European players when the Ryder cup is held in America. They get vile abuse including aimed at family members. You really think if one was gay that would be off limits? Listen to Tiger or Lewis Hamilton talk about racist abuse they received. You think golf and F1 fans can be racist but not homophobic?

Football is drenched in racism, violence and homphobia because it is the largest followed sport. If you put that amount of people together then you get idiots. And idiots develop a mob mentality.

Football is drenched in racism, violence and homophobia because it is the largest followed sport. If you put that amount of people together then you get idiots. And idiots develop a mob mentality.

At least you agree with my conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not relevant this to Irish fans....shure aren't we the best fans in the world.....

I dont, at all.

Football fans in particular

That's what you said and my first paragraphs clearly show i disagree with you.

• Advertisement

These are your words, not mine (though they mimic my sentiment perfectly):

Football is drenched in racism, violence and homophobia because it is the largest followed sport. If you put that amount of people together then you get idiots. And idiots develop a mob mentality.

You may disagree with other aspects of my post, but you quite clearly concluded that football is drenched in racism, violence, and homophobia.

We can disagree on the reasons why this is the case, but we share the same conclusion irrespective of those reasons.

This is your point

football fans in particular are drenched in racism, violence and homphobia

This is what i said.

Football is drenched in racism, violence and homophobia because it is the largest followed sport.

They are different points. You maintain it would not be a problem in other sports and i disagree and gave examples of why. I think if you had the same mass following of football in other sports then the same issues would occur in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure soccer is a stand-out in this one, it's just the biggest, and tends to attract the lowest common denominator. You don't see hordes of F1 or golf fans smashing up cafes in France.

Most sports that have a lot of money sloshing around have this problem with their male "wing". F1, Golf, Tennis, etc.

Lesbians in the women's wing of the sports are far more accepted. Nearly expected, sometimes.

Why is this? Because competitors who come out will fall foul of sponsors. Nike and Adidas will talk a big "we support the gays" game, but when Qatar and Exxon are throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at a tennis tournament, then the same sponsors will be quick to tell athletes that if they can't compete at the big tournaments, they can consider themselves dropped. And if they come out as gay, they can't go to Qatar. So don't come out as gay if you want to keep your sponsorship deals.

Despotic regimes tend to not care much about lesbianism. They'll let it fly under the radar for a number of reasons. But gay men can't be tolerated.

In general it's up to society to push on this. And if we can get the biggest sport to do it, then others will follow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Indeed.

I think that what happened to Justin Fashanu after he took the incredibly brave decision to come out as gay in 1990 - his football career stalling and then faltering due to huge homophobic abuse he received from managers, owners, other players, etc, his subsequent spiral into depression and addiction and his suicide served as a warning to other UK football players not to come out - or face almost certain ruin.

For instance, there must be at least several (now retired) players from my own generation who have not come out, even after retirement from the sport. This is not the case in rugby or cricket or in Ireland's case, GAA sports where the top Cork hurling goalkeeper Donal Og Cusak came out as gay in 2009 and he received a huge amount of support despite facing homophobic taunts from a small minority of opposition supporters on the pitch during matches.

I have a feeling that for Jake Daniels and any other gay football players of his generation, it will be a lot easier but still not easy given the bigotry and rampant homophobia on the terraces. It's a sad reflection of football's failure to properly tackle homophobia that it has taken so long.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

History has been a little too kind to Justin.

He wasn't a very nice character truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Tommy Hitzelsperger, ex-villa? Robbie Rogers ex-Leeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Ex" being the operative word. Why are they waiting until they're off the pitch? Rogers, in particular, made the very pointed move to retire early and immediately come out. Specifically because he feared the circus that would happen if he were to come out while playing. He only went back to play when the "novelty" wore off for the media.

On top of that, neither operate in the UK any more, and neither are on the pitch. How many former players stay in the closest because they know that otherwise they will never be able to work on the pitch again - as a manager, coach, physio, whatever.

Your two examples add more proof to the extent of the issue, especially in the UK.

As I mention above, I do think the primary pain point here is the international stuff and the fear of "offending" the backwards sh1thole countries and the resulting loss of money for FIFA and sponsors when they have to play behind closed doors or cancel fixtures because there's a gay man on the pitch. But it's unreasonable to expect the individual players themselves to be the ones who have to take the first steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Look at the promotion of pride in football rainbow laces and corner flags, most most football boots don't even have laces any more but who can see lace's from the crowd highly likely nobody can see them the same with the corner flags nobody takes any notice of them either,it's a complete waste of effort ,and it's only there for marketing for the league nothing more ,

The reality is that you cannot force homosexual acceptance on a population.

Many football fans rebel against laces and that kind of thing because it's forcing homosexuality acceptance in their faces.

Personally, I get the impression these days that straight people are being overwhelmed with LGBT issues to the point where it's turning them against the community, or who are sick to death hearing about it.

And as a gay person myself, I agree with them. It's way too much these days, and people - gay and straight - just want to get on with their lives and not have this incessant rainbow pride stuff rammed down their throat. If I'm sick of seeing it, as a gay person, then I can completely understand how straight people are getting sick of it.

I think that what happened to Justin Fashanu after he took the incredibly brave decision to come out as gay in 1990 - his football career stalling and then faltering due to huge homophobic abuse he received from managers, owners, other players, etc, his subsequent spiral into depression and addiction and his suicide served as a warning to other UK football players not to come out - or face almost certain ruin

Fashanu's faltering career had very little to do with him being Gay, if anything. His career was effectively over because of a catastrophic knee injury in the mid 80s.

When he came out he wasn't even really a professional footballer and hadn't been any way relevant for some time. He was effectively retired. If anything him coming out extended his career as he became somewhat of a novelty signing.

He also had been "out" long before The Sun published his story, he was openly gay.

He was so irrelevant at the time that The Sun apparently didn't want his story until he started claiming he slept with Tory MPs and Ministers, then he got 50k. Most of this was a fabrication. Wouldn't be his last.

What Jake has done is beyond brave not remotely comparable to Fashanu who like I said was quite a undesirable character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Doesn't affect us much to be honest. I get it. You have your own opinions and you happen to be gay. It's part of you and it's important but not everything.

It's a sign of how far we've come that a homosexual can call nimself or herself a conservative and maybe even believe it, three cheers for the progressive agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭rogber

I wonder why his parents didn't just call him Jack and be done with it?

Best of luck to the lad, takes courage to come out as gay in the world of professional football, which is sad to have to say in 2022. Football crowds tend to be largely ignorant apes, just look at the controversies over terrace chants....

Advertisement