Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Mine was installed in February during storm Eunice, the lads said it would take a hurricane to stop them installing if even. So you should be good, best of luck with it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Few heavy rain falls today when the lads were doing my expansion. No probs. They stood in for a while during the really heavy downpours but didn't delay them for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭footfall789

Hi

Got a Quote for a 5.1Kw (14 Rec Panels) system.

6kw Huawi Inverter

5kw Huawi Battery

1 Energy Diverter

Renusol Mounting Solution

Cost €15,500 , €13,150 after Grant .

This sounds expensive compared to what quotes are being given .

Is there any place I could see in this section where i could see a few recommended installers.

Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Na thats too much. The Huawei gear is more expensive and you are stuck with a Huawei battery. For example The Solis hybrid inverter can work with various batteries, even a DIY setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 SamOptimoo

This Solar path is complicated and for the novice confusing etc. So I'd just like to give kudos to Maulbrook for his willingness to share what he's gained on his journey. Many thanks for the info & chat today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Some times its easier to talk, now enjoy that free hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Hi Folks,

I’ve been thinking about Solar PV panels for some time now and I’m starting to get some quotes in. I was planning to install a battery; however, I was told today that the buy back scheme that’s coming will be paying in excess of 10c per kWh. I also have a PHEV which can be left plugged in most days (I work from home). Given those two pieces of information does the battery make sense anymore? i.e. would the payback period on it simply be too long? Am I better spending the money on more panels?

The only company who have announced a FIT is Pinergy afaik and the day rate is very high so until the likes of Electric Ireland show their cards the rest will wait. Personally I would buy a battery and more panels.

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Whoever told you the feed in rate will be 10c is spoofing you. Quite possibly because they're struggling to get stock of the batteries but don't want to lose the order, so they'll try to convince you that you don't need one.

As stated, Pinergy are the only ones offering anything, and it's 13.5c. But their import rates are almost 40c so a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

If the car is home most days, then it sounds like you don't do huge milage and therefore may not be using up that power to allow it to take more if we had two half decent days in succession.

So a battery will always be a sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I second that.

However, this thread is getting a bit muddy. Its called domestic quotes but there is lots of tips and advice in here that is invaluable. Maybe we should have a Q&A kinda thread to keep it seperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BK2022

Hi All,

This is my first post here, but I have looked through most of the posts and it is a fantastic resource, thanks!

I have got 2 quotes recently. One is clearly worse than the other, but looking at the cheaper one, it still seems to be more than many of those on this forum. Being a newbie to all of this, I am not sure where to start with regards negotiating the price - any advice would be welcome. Of course, there may be no negotiating possible as everyone seems to be so busy they have the work anyway.

Company 1: 4.02Kwp 12 panel roof mounted system including all black panels (didn't mention brand, sorry), inverter and wi-fi monitoring. This price also includes a Hot Eddi Power Divert and a 5.00Kwhr PureDrive battery.

Price (before grant and VAT): 14,000 !!!!

Company 2: 10 panels, 4.5 KW (sorry, no brand again, but reckon I can only fit 10, rather than 12 above). 5 KW hybrid inverter, 5KW battery and Eddi

Price (before grant, but including VAT): 12,000

I know from this forum (Thanks!!) that company 1 is way off, but number 2 is quite different to the suggested 1k per Kw panels and 1k per 2.5kw battery. I am sure everything is rocketing up in price, but even so....

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi Folks, I've received the two quotes below - what do people think??

Company 1 -

The following price includes the design, supply, installation and commissioning for solar on roof.

1.      5.6KWp Solar PV System (Roof Mounted)

2.      14 Jinko panels x 400W Solar Panels

3.      1 no. 6kw Solis Hybrid inverter

4.      1 no. Van Der Valk roof mounting system

5.      Fireman Shunt isolater

6.      AC & DC cabling

7.      Associated MCB board works

8.      BER certificate included

9.      Eddi Hot water Diverter + Harvi

10.  5kw Dyness battery

Price €13,600

€ 11,200 (For homes Pre built 2021) after grant!

Company 2 -

14 PANELS 405 WATT 5.670 KW. JA SOLAR

5KW DYNESS BATTERY

5 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE.

PRICE 12500 EUROS

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI

TOTAL 10100 EUROS.

I know from this forum (Thanks!!) that company 1 is way off, but number 2 is quite different to the suggested 1k per Kw panels and 1k per 2.5kw battery. I am sure everything is rocketing up in price, but even so....

Maybe 12 months ago that formula was about right, but now it's been revised to (€1.2K per 1Kwp) and (€1K per 2.0Kwp) to account for the increases in prices and the removal of the battery grant.

Yeah, that's sort of true mel123..... but you know, people need to ask questions so they can then get quoted for the right equipment. Always a challenge to keep things on point. Hell even this post isn't about quotes per say, but there are a number of threads out there which have both a FAQ

Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Solar for Dummies. - Page 11 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

as well as a "Tips and troubleshooting"......but people don't read them and/or forget the information. Generally I think the odd tangent from quotes is ok, but I can appreciate that different people would have different opinions. For sure, if it was to degenerate into a free-flowing discussion then I'd change my mind, but I think we do mostly alright here, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I hear you, its fine for me, i pop in every day to have a read, newbies might miss out a bit. Waiting for my panels to be installed in August. Still have not a clue about them, but house renovation and FOMO so ive a lot of homework to do :-)

Thanks bullit_dodger That makes more sense given inflation, supply chains etc. But it still means that even company 2 is a bit off the 'target' 7.9k versus 9.6k - though to be fair, not too far off.

I'll get a third quote and see how they all compare :-)

Yeah 1 is scandalous, 2 is still not great.

Look at the psot after you by @Matt406. His first quote is very good, his second is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I also have a home office and one of the main considerations for a decent battery was to have some backup power in the case of outages. Not sure how this will pan out but will follow up after the installation. 5kwh would keep modest computer, VOIP, router and LED lighting going for over a day which would cover most outages we've had so far.

A friend of mine has just increased his setup from 5.5kwh to 7kwh and 7kwh battery to 14kwh. he is running a PHEV. In other words the FIT is not worth Shxt and look after your self. If you have the funds go big.

Company 2 (Ennisiskillen Boys) is the one. Just increase the inverter to a 6kwh, it will future proof your setup if you want to add more at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Install pencilled in for tomorrow cancelled until required inverter is available. Possibly next week.

SAAS does not agree that batteries are worth it due to FIT, and is pushing folks away from it.

SAAS have a good model for smaller installs, but make no mistake......batteries are (generally) the right way forward. Sure, there are people who's consumption and/or price which they are paying for batteries doesn't make sense, but no......FIT will not be the way forward for the vast majority of people.

A nice little bonus to pay for a trip out to Bray on the Dart for a "stick of rock", but as for a viable way of making some serious payback.....nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

I'm just hoping the reduction on our bill, the dhw being sorted and eventually an EV charger will make it all worthwhile.

If needs be in the future, I will change bits and pieces around.

That's an interesting point that was in my head smacl - do i need power for the solar PV system to work?? i.e. in the event of an power outage on a sunny day will my house still be powered? (either via a charged battery or power being generated at that point in time)?

Thanks MAULBROOK - one question, this quote includes an EDDI Water Diverter. I already have 40 x solar tube system for hot water installed, from when the house was build (9 years ago). Does the EDDI make any sense, given the presence of the solar tube system?

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

I re-measured my roof (9.4m x 3.95m) and got another quote and seems I can fit more panels now

16 x 370w panels (JA Solar); 6 kw inverter; 5 kw Dyness battery, Eddi

12500 before grant

I think I have learned enough from the forum to say this one looks good! But please agree or disagree!

Does anyone know the size of the JA Solar 370w panels?

Thanks all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement