Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

They do have good value food because of how they operate their food.

Very little is prepared on the premises. Most is prepared in a factory/dark kitchen setting, then frozen/vacuum sealed and shipped to the pubs.

Wouldn't be too notch quality, but perfect for a bite to eat.

Whether you eat it in London, Glasgow or Waterford, it will taste the exact same and portion size will be identical too.

Because of this they don't need chefs or even qualified cooks. Many dishes are put into digital ovens and a combination of microwave zapped and convection oven systems are used.

Don't ask for any changes to a dish - it can't be done.

It saves hugely on costs, hence the lower pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Gillman1998

I had my first visit today, mixed views. The place is very nice, although a hell of a lot of tables packed in there. It was busy (2.30pm) but seemed to be working well, lots of food coming out. My particular doubt was about the bar - I asked for a pint of the Dungarvan Copper Coast and the reaction was like a scared rabbit - “what, the ale?”. The pint was very heady with no awareness of how to pull it properly or top it up. Nice tasting pint though, full marks to Dungarvan.

i went to Revolution afterwards to salve my soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A few of the causeway venues (Woodman, Lounge, Masons) starting to lower there prices for certain times

Hopefully the start of something and more places will follow suite.

One thing going for late bars/nightclubs is the fact Wetherspoons operates normal pub hours. People are getting full there and then head up to Heerys/Kazbar/Factory etc

Woodman/Yard opening up a Shisha section soon. Suppose anything to get people in

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Wont be long before the do gooders try and knock that for encouraging smoking. Great idea to be fair, you always see those tents at festivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

On one thread on boards people are complaining about shops and cafes closing in the city centre while in this thread they go to this kip lining the pockets of the scumbag that is Tim Martin. Never set foot in any of his pubs and never will. The owner of the Causeway group wouldn’t be far behind him either. 

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Monday of last week, 2pm, no seats to be had !!!

Place was grimy though, badly mopped floors and sticky tables. It was like being in McSpoons in England. Asked for a Thatchers Gold and the barman asked me did I know it was a cider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hearing it felt grimy,

Sounds like every single one I've ever been in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yep, it is the scourge of Waterford. On one hand people are saying we do not have this and that. Expecting this and that to be here. On the other they are saying this place sucks why would this and that be here. If it is here they are saying it is rubbish and the one elsewhere is better and they head of there. In a lot of people minds, just being outside Waterford means something is better. If I live to 100, don’t think I will understand the attitude. It’s both sad and bizarre, why do so many Waterford people feel the need to run the place down all the time 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Valhalla90

These negative people are the ones who never leave the place. They lead simplistic lives and just love to spread negative vibes constantly. Waterford is not perfect it does need a better retail offering, North Quays development, investment in UHW, WIT (SETU) but it also has so many positives, the city centre is looking good compared to other places, the sustainable bridge has started and the removal of the carpark around the Clock Tower has commenced. We can be the best city in Ireland if we can just secure the investments and support from government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

I don't understand, a main shopping street should be teaming with mobile phone repair shops, pawnshops, charity shops, dens for habitual drinkers, pound shops and bookies. Main street should represent all that we believe in. Our main street feels cheap, a little grim, badly surfaced and loaded with undesirable businesses and frontages, Wetherspoons fits in so perfectly, it's cheap, it services people with a healthy* love for booze and feeds the pockets of a arsehole.

We Waterfordians have ambition. A few more donut shops, banks and a ladbrokes wouldn't go astray.

I was really bitter when I wrote this, bitter that people thought a Wetherspoons was a fantastic addition. I remember the wonderful shops and pubs that used to line the street.

Post edited by new92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There is indeed much real urban decay and it is awful to see, but isn't Wetherspoons an example of urban renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

On your last point, we could have a wonderful little city if the city council were kept as far away from city planning as possible. A few things immediately spring to mind:

the quay - made a total mess of it and ruined any chance of getting large numbers into the city. Bumper to bumper traffic 7 days a week only does one thing and that’s drive people away.

the quay, again - car parks. Total waste of absolutely prime retail/hospitality space along the waterfront. This wouldn’t happen in any other city where the city centre is literally two minutes walk from the quayside.

traffic management and roadworks - the less said here the better. People from Waterford have absolutely no idea what direction they can and can’t go in some areas of the town anymore. What hope have tourists?

parking rates - if you’re going into town for a few hours parking in town is more or less a no go now unless you don’t want change out of a tenner. Parking is discounted or much cheaper hourly rates in other cities. It has a huge bearing on human traffic in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I dnt dsagree with some of your comments, but I wonder if you have ever been in Galway city. Traffic is seriously worse than here and parking charges are eyewatering.Obviously not driving people away there? We have the Outer ring Road to help, which is a huge benefit.

Quay is still being used as a through route by most people. Tolled Bypass probably responsible. Most Snndays I am in town between 5 and 6 pm. The mass of trsffic streaming in from Tramore along Parnell Street, The Mall, The QUays isa sight to see. None of thse people involved have a destination in the city. A huge number of KK cars who could use the Bypass, but?

The quys are currently being worked n to remove severl hndred car arking spaces, but where the displaced cars are to go is not clear.

PArking discounts are available in Railway Square, Waterside and Bolton Street and Aldi teh Glen. If you want to drive in to teh quay and park bang in centr eof town , ou should expect to pay for it.

Hard to understand why new Street Car PArk has been taken out of use without a whimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I've heard that Wetherspoons inside is already grimy and dirty and poorly looked after. Any truth in that? Haven't been in there yet and won't bother if its already in bad shape.

Would you not go and see for yourself and make your own mind up instead of second hand informationn and damning the place sight unseen?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Not damning the place, I was asking for your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I haven’t been in there but have heard the same. If it is true, it’s just following the same route as all other Wetherspoons. More than likely the bar and waiting staff are being tasked with cleanup and for probably minimum wage, they’re not going to do a very thorough job if they’re asked to stay back at the end of their shift. Bare minimum and out the door which is exactly what management deserve if that is the case and they’re not paying proper cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Pretty sure the staff earn above minimum wage and are looked after for food during their shift.

But yes the place does feel "sticky"

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crubbeens

First time in this afternoon, Great service, big pub with nooks and outdoor spaces. Had the grilled chicken + ale, family had pizza, chilli, sides and drinks. 45euro. Whats the problem?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I haven't at been to An Geata Arundel, but my memory of the branches I went they were clean and tidy. Just the toilets were very far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not a good start,

How many pubs in Waterford have had stabbings in them?

Was in there with four others the otehr night. Normal atmosphere. A lot of people drinking and eating.Its a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Place has gone downhill very very quickly. They need to sort out their clientele or it'll be an absolute kip of a place.

Surprised it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Define a kip…..? Couple of good bouncers on the door and sensible serving of customers would be half the battle…another thing they can do is simply raise their prices to match those of other boozers in the city area…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Why could the other boozers not lower their prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...if they received the same deals from suppliers, maybe, just maybe!

Advertisement