Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade old components or build/buy new

Options
  • 24-05-2022 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

AMD A8-7650K 14 °C

Kaveri 28nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

MSI A68HM GRENADE (MS-7891) (P0) 39 °C

Graphics

S240HL (1920x1080@59Hz)

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (MSI) 8 °C

Storage

931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SATA Disk Device (SATA ) 28 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD0 SATA CdRom Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Was thinking of just putting 1TB SSD and using that to speed things up

Im not really a gamer(maybe football manager on 2d) but would like a little more ram and graphics card but i believe my mother board is rubbish?Im not sure which is why i ask all you fine folks....im thinking the SDD alone would get the pc back motoring a lot lot quicker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Get any ssc and instal OS, you will be surprised with its speed.

Doesnt have to be big like 1TB if you keep old disk as storage and use ssd only for system / current files. 240GB are in pretty good prices. From my experience ssd disk is not the best place to keep a lots of data especially if it is not backuped personal unrecoverable data, as ssd can die quickly without any warning and then it is a pain to recover anything.

As for the rest check what is struggling / bottlenecking you mostly - I would say it is a disk so after you replace it you will get next slowest element ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭dannyo666

Thanks-Much appreciate the information-Thank you.I have 8bg ram and am thinking of another 8 to install also if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No point IMHO in buying an SSD below 512Gb size. They're 45eur while a reputable 256Gb is 35eur.

Adding another 8Gb stick of DDR3-1600 will help a bit, as it will then run in dual-channel mode (might have to enable that in BIOS, not sure).

Since the CPU is 8 years old, it is going to bottleneck any modern hardware. Though if you wanted improved graphical performance, I don't see the harm in putting in an old budget card, e.g. this GTX 650 Ti Boost 2Gb (50eur) or R9 270 (55 eur). Would require a decent PSU though - 350W for 650 Ti, 400W for 270.

Advertisement