Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Four goals and three assists in 13 PL games isn't bad for a new player coming into the league. He probably should have had another few assists as well because he's put some excellent balls across the 6 yard box where the person arriving has just missed.

He looks very similar to how Salah stared off with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The BBC are running a daily quiz on players who have played for Liverpool in a Champions League final. You get 3 clues to try and get the player each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In the end, I wasn't hugely disappointed when the final whistles blew on Sunday (laughably early in the case of the City game, but what's new?). We never held a winning position during the 90 minutes - but also, we never owned a winning situation all season. Losing a title on 90+ points is an outrageous outcome and is the simplest way to explain the structural dominance created by City. Pep can't do it in Europe because there are too many high leverage games against opposition that punish his errors. Still, the weight of billions in transfer investment in a league format is irresistible over an entire season.

I'm already seeing some efforts to try and paint the season as a failure from the usual quarters. Or to suggest that the outcome on Saturday will heavily weight the narrative. Such sentiment is complete nonsense. To play every game in a season is a miraculous achievement. If it's two trophies or four trophies, so be it. The difference is not between "good" or "disappointing"; instead, it is between "incredible" and "historic."

I will never be disappointed in a league season where Liverpool ended with 92 points. Losing twice in this fashion underlines the underlying structural advantage held by our opponents. So long as Pep continues and is supported every summer with these levels of investment, perfection is the ask. Liverpool were perfect through ~30 games to start 2019 / 2020. Maybe we can do that again under Klopp, but these are not reasonable expectations. 92 points when playing every match possible - just incredible.

We may win on Saturday; we may not. All I can ask is for the team to pull themselves together and make it awkward. Summon whatever energy they have left and leave it on the pitch. That will be good enough for me. Klopp's reign is an incredible era of Liverpool football, and losing a title by the odd point doesn't change that. Nor will losing a European Cup Final to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I loved Diaz impact since his arrival , he’s done incredibly well to settle in so fast but he’ll need time to get to Mane level if he does at all so I’d hate to lose Mane now given he’s in form striker . It going to very very hard to replace either Mane or Salah contribution to the team over these last few years and feel we are weaker going into next season if either leaves to be honest.

On the flip side Of DIaz arrival Jota seems a shadow of himself in recent months with his reduced minutes centrally and it’s clear he struggles to impact the game on left or right side and of course Firmino’s role is further reduced again with Mane is playing in the middle.

They key this season was the sheer depth of the squad. Minimino & Origi delivered when called upon so with origi leaving I’d hate to lose anymore players other maybe Ox & Philips. I can see Mane moving on however and salah signing anew contract .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

6 goals and 5 assist in 25 appearances for the club, a lot of those as a sub or subbed off.

New club, new country etc.

It's reasonable to have some doubts but I think a lack of end product for Diaz is a bit premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think this is probably the right way to look at this season. It has been amazing. My view thought is that it's important to take advantage of this period i.e. win trophies etc... I think we definitely need to win against Madrid to keep us in the record books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I love/hate quizzes like this!

Got today's in one guess. Haven't a scooby on yesterday's, though I'm sure it'll be obvious when I see it

I got yesterday on the third go. Bought from Southampton and injured a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Henderson left out of the England squad for the June internationals. I'm sure he's disappointed but good that he gets a decent break.

• Advertisement

Another clue for yesterdays is he moved on a free after winning the league

The BBC news ticker this morning said "Manchester United are rubbish" 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Factual and concise. The BBC once again proving their reliability in the news field.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

It shows how far they have fallen when there are actually Man United fans out there mocking Liverpool for not winning the Premier League when they have already won two trophies this season and are on for a third whereas United haven't won a thing for five years" - Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Salah started off with us by beating the all time record for goals scored in a 38 game season, a record held by greats of the premier league such as Henry and Ronaldo. Pick someone else cos as good as he has been he has not started for us in a similar fashion to Salah.

I remember one of Salah's very first goals for us, like his first or second all those years ago, (I think it was against Arsenal) where it was a counter attack from their corner I believe and he was clear through on goal with Mane right next to him for a pass to have a tap in into an empty net but he shot and scored himself. Even tho the correct option was probably to pass to Mane I remember thinking this guy means business and the rest is history....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just comparing the two Luis's who both signed at the end of a Januray 11 years apart in their first half seasons.

Minutes played Suarez - 1101 mintues in 13 games he got 4 goals and 5 assists.

Minutes played Diaz - 1626 minutes in 25 games he got 6 goals and 5 assists.

If Diaz even turns out be half the player Suarez was the club will have some player on it's books.

I don't know why Southgate picked TAA for the squad he won't play him anyway he would be better off just letting the lad going on hoildays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Very good quiz - it took me ages to get Mondays as one of the clues sent me down the wrong rabbit hole

Well done to the club

Liverpool have cancelled the tickets of 13 supporters who had put their seats for Saturday's Champions League final against Real Madrid for sale online.

The club has warned these fans could face further sanctions including a lifetime ban.

It follows an increase in the number of fans being defrauded by fake tickets.

The club said it would "not stand idly by and watch people try to sell tickets they have been fortunate enough to get access to via the ballot".

The move comn a statement, the club said it had called on social media companies to close more than 50 social media accounts and groups it believes are actively involved in selling, or offering to sell Champions League final tickets online.

"There has unfortunately been an increase in the number of fans being defrauded, online in particular, by fake match ticket offers," the spokesman added.

"If any supporter is offered a ticket online, they should report it to Liverpool Football Club and to Action Fraud."es after a recent warning reminding supporters to buy tickets from official sellers only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The official Liverpool supporters club in France has now confirmed the match will be screened in the fan park. Which is great news for anyone like me who'd rather watch it in the pub! There'll be much less people trying to do so.

On to the next target so.

On a side note Madrid's midfield for the next deacde will be something else with Tchouameni & Camavinga.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Madrid might be in danger of building a sensible base for the next few years at this rate they may even decide to do something crazy like buy decent defenders

I always find it amusing when people say things like "oh that's our midfield sorted for the next decade" as tho they haven't been following football for the past few decades enough to realise that a young player being signed at 21,22ish age and actually staying at that club for the next ecade is by far the exception to the rule and not the rule. We had it with Hendo ourselves but apart from that you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of examples in the top leagues these days, especially at basket case clubs like Madrid.

Anyone care to bet me that Camavinga and this tcuechemeni guy will not be at the Bernabau for the next decade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Whether they stay or not, it's **** weird to see Real buy players they actually need.

Fernandino busquests kroos modric de bryune kante xavi inesta (fabhino will be with Liverpool the best part of 10 years) when the apex clubs sign elite players they do tend to stay for the best part of 10 years if signed in time. All of these might not do a full 10 years of being pedantic but they never look to move once at a top top club. This is just MFs off the top of my head, the list could be a lot longer.

of course I could have put pogba in too🤞🏼

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Any news today on Thiago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Talk of it being a 50/50 with Thiago, according to Carra

Not ruled out, that's the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

one of my favorite Salah goals ever ...Ther is view from a tunnel cam of the crowd roaring and you see Salah haring past pursued by the Arsenal team , I fell off the sofa laughing.. best counter attacking goal that first season 🤩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

He must be friendly with a few of the medical staff there still i'd say. He'd have as good of an insight as anyone outside of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not Liverpool related but there will be another big dog in the hunt soon. Listening to Off The Ball earlier one of the reporters interviewed was saying that due to the frugal way Mike Ashley ran NU, under FFP rules they can spend up to £600m this year on new players. Remains to be seen who will take a chance on joining them but it will only be a matter of time before they build a team capable of competing with MC/Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are they a good outside bet for 4th, or is it too soon?

The top 2 seem well ahead of the pack, and with Chelsea a bit up in the air, and none of Spurs, Arsenal, United capable of putting a run together, could they jump out of the pack and make the champions league?

I doubt it will happen under Howe, but there is an opening there.

No no I said sign players not players that come through the youth system, thats a different kettle of fish. Ok start your list again, players signed by clubs who then went on to play for a full decade for that club. Go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's right though, in that generally once players go to a top club they tend to stay till they outlive their usefulness (and Real Madrid are a particularly strong example of this).

A decade is a bit too long a timeframe to set to get a lot of results out of, simply because usually for a player to be bought by a top top level club, they need to have already shown and firmly established their high level of quality, which means they're probably already at least 24 or 25. So you get their best 6 or so years till they're into their 30s before they move back down the levels again. Which is obviously why most of the examples of players making it over a decade came through the club, because they got to skip the 'proving' phase at another club. Those two lads in Camavinga and Tchouaméni just happen to be outliers in showing their quality quite consistently so young.

So given that those two lads are already there (or will be next season), I think it's a fair statement to make that that could well be Madrid's midfield in good shape for a decade.

Thank you rebel, this is pretty much the point. Still apart from the La Masia boys the list is still pretty much there. If you go back to the days of Alex and Wenger the list could be alot longer but obviously not really applicable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Seems the Tchouameni deal isn't agreed yet.

Madrid now don't want to pay 80million.

Trying to force Monaco into accepting lower.

Liverpool expected to make their move after CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I would like to think we have already been in touch with Monaco about the fee and hope if we win the weekend we can speak to the player as European Champions. Makes it harder if we don't win though.

Another BBC quiz. Can you name the players who have scored goals in the Champions League era for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Paul Joyce reporting that there was no Virgil, Thiago or Fabinho in training today.

obvious is obvious, but I reckon all of them are a case of waiting until as late as possible to make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ok I'll go just at Madrid itself...

Kroos 8 years going into his 9th year

Modric 10 years

Casemiro going into his 10th year at the club

Isco going into his 10th year at the club.

Asensico going into his 9th year at the club.

Benzema 13 years going into his 14th.

Marcelo 15 going onto his 16th.

Carvajal 9 years

Bale 9 years

So yes players can stay at a club for a decade after being signed.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Did he tweet and delete this? A bad look for Joyce when this was contradicted by others and can be seen in the coverage of the training live on Liverpool twitter as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement