Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So when someone comes out with the line that "someone somewhere right now is doing something good because of their religion" I simply have to reply with A) I do not grant that, because quite likely they would do the same good without religion and B) But if I do grant that I also HAVE to grant the opposite case where people are equally doing bad things because of their religion.

I don’t understand why you feel the need to do that other than your assessment that the claim on it’s own as it stands is incomplete. It doesn’t negate the claim even if you don’t accept the premise of the argument.

Finally I do not see you as qualified to speak for anyone who is not you. As such when you tell me what people mean when they talk about "their" children... I simply do not buy it. I reckon there is quite a diversity on what people think it means. I have absolutely met and talked to people who believe their children are actually "theirs". So what I tend to do... and in fairness I should have done this in my first post today a little better.... is ask people what THEY think they mean by "their" when they use that word.

Your not seeing me as an qualified to speak for anyone who is not me, is neither here nor there. It’s irrelevant to what I said. I was commenting on your earlier opinion you gave in regards to how you view the concept of “ownership” of children -

What is creepy to me is this concept of "ownership" of kids. I do not feel parents own their children. Rather they are stewards of their children and their children's upbringing on behalf of society as a whole.

Of course their children are theirs, however the concept of ownership implies that children are property, and imagining that anyone is suggesting that their children are their property, while it is undoubtedly creepy, it’s also an entirely unreasonable conclusion as to what anyone means when they’re referring to their own children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I think you may be misunderstanding two concepts here. The first is "burden of proof" and the second being the phrase "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". You appear to be applying both of these things incorrectly in the above post when asking others to "prove the fairy tale".

Pedantically though the definition of fairy tale in the m-w dictionary is " a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (such as fairies, wizards, and goblins)"

I am struggling to see how the Bible does NOT fit that definition. It is a story. It involves fantastic forces. And it involves beings that are not human. Linguistically it is therefore entirely accurate to describe it as a Fairy Tale, using THAT definition. You might prefer another definition. But that way further pedantry lies.

The more interesting question in my view..... with any book not just the Bible..... is "Having read this book, and enjoyed it, is there any reason whatsoever to think the claims in it are true, or the events within it actually happened?".

With the Bible so far it would appear that the answer to that is a firm, strong, and resounding "No". No one seems to be offering any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to think the book is "true" in that sense. Least of all your good self. But I remain open minded and "all ears" in case someone some day does it! I am agog.

Again... the distinction I make STRONGLY is between ideas... and the people who hold those ideas. I absolutely am happy to "deride and attack" bad ideas. And this is a good thing. The skill is to do so in a way that is as much an attack on the IDEA as possible and as little an attack on the PERSON as possible.

As with most language, doing this is a skill and an artform. And even the best of us are not always successful. And I am far from "the best of us". But perfection is not a requirement here. Only striving towards it.

But the problem for me over the years has certainly being that people willfully aim to play this "victim card" even when the "right spirit" as you put it is there. They will try to construe any attack on their pet ideas as being an attack on THEM. And that certainly requires derision, even of the person who is attempting it. Because it is the enemy of intellectual honest discourse.

It is a fine line for sure, but not as fine as some like to pretend. But as I said it's two different conversations. 1) SHOULD we attack and deride bad ideas and 2) HOW should we go about doing so? I was commenting on the former. You have now pushed the conversation more to the latter. Which is fine. But again I think it worth making that distinction.

It is not to "negate the claim" though, so much as negate the attempted implication of the claim. When the user I was replying to made the claim that someone somewhere was likely doing something good because of religion.... it was an attempt to proxy in an argument for the benefit of religion or portray religion as a good thing. My point to that user is to show why that attempted implication is on weak ground.

But my comment about the ownership of children still stands. The user seemed to think it "creepy" that we want to have any say in how they raise and educate "their" children. The rebuttal being that not only can we do so.... we often DO do so. And rightly so.

A more interesting discussion is of course about how much we should be doing so, where when how and why. Which is where the end of your previous post seemed to be going too. But THAT we do so and that we SHOULD do so was the purpose of my comment to said user.

But anecdotal as it is, I have certainly met people who have this concept that their children are literally THEIRS and no one should have any say in how they go about treating them or raising them. So I, unlike yourself it seems, make no outright assumptions about what people mean or do not mean when they talk in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Mind me asking if you work for a living, because you seem to have a lot of time to spend on long posts. Perhaps this is one reason why you like to attack and deride. A bit too much time on your hands.

I'm off out the back to paint a few fence panels. Feel free to attack and deride that terrible idea as much as you want 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

you dont prove a negative.

it would be like me asking you to prove there isnt a chocolate teapot circling the sun or that magical unicorns didnt invent the universe.

you cant.

however, if you claim that you have a magical deity who created the universe and everything in it, im gonna need more than "trust me" or my dusty old book.

• Advertisement

It is comical to me that you have gone from the conversation we just had.... to making it solely about me in a rather ad hominem and dismissive move :) You are kinda making my point for me. I stick to the topic and discussion of the actual ideas. It tends to be OTHER people who then make it wholly and solely about me. You just made yourself more an example of what you were taking issue with, than I myself have actually been. Which is quite funny.

But I like talking about myself as much as the next person. So I will answer your entirely off topic question. My job involves a lot of testing the things I develop which means I do have time to do other things on my work time. I also type INCREDIBLY fast. You see a long post for me and probably assume it took a lot of time. It quite likely took a fraction of how long you think it did.

That said though I have a LOT less free time in my life these days. Actually OEJ commented on this in his first post to me today. I simply have not been around boards at all in recent months. Another boards user who has an absolutely infectious love of life and of people and of children has infected me with things like Jujitsu and Archery and a few other things. And I find my free time to post on boards has simply gone entirely.

But no, my motivation to "attack and deride" is that I value (almost worship) discourse. Bad and unsubstantiated ideas SHOULD be attacked and derided and tested and pulled apart and dragged through the fires. Because it is only through discourse with others that our individual.... and our species wide.... ideas evolve, improve or die. Think of it as memetic rather than genetic "Natural Selection".

I am all for painting though. Very meditative and makes things look prettier and brighter :) Go for it. "Kung Fu lives in everything we do, Xiao Dre! It lives in how we put on the jacket, how we take off the jacket. It lives in how we treat people! Everything... is Kung Fu." youtube.com/watch?v=G6f0w5BRasw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The cheque for all the buildings the State paid to build?

The rebuttal being that not only can we do so.... we often DO do so. And rightly so.

We, don’t do anything.

And of course there are people who have the concept that their children are literally theirs, because they are, and of course there are people who make the point that because their children are theirs, no one else should have a say in how they go about treating them or raising them.

That’s why it’s of no interest to me whatsoever as it is to you where, how, when or why you argue that “we” should be able to do anything in relation to other peoples children. My only interest is in limiting the States interference in how anyone chooses to raise their own children in accordance with Irish Constitutional Law.

You don’t need to tell others. But just between you and me, you know it’s all about as credible as Santa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

In schools by the wish of the Parents. Hospital's ? Again by request. The Angelus? Easiest thing of them all to stop....if there was a call by the majority to remove it. Hasn't happened so far, and I can't see it happening in the near future either.

its just inertia at this stage.

i don't think schools and hospitals etc is the place to push and indoctrinate people into any particular flavour of religion.

certainly not any institution that receives taxpayer money.

but we all know that if people had to "do religion" on their own time, take kids to church lessons on their time etc, it would quickly die out as I don't think there's enough of an appetite for it.

Seeing as I'm not providing any kind of services for Kid's I don't ask any parents anything about their kids. But locally, where there are choices in schools ( and in some cases, schools are competing with each other to keep their pupil Nrs high enough to keep or even increase their teacher nrs.) Its the parents who ask the schools about their teaching agendas whats, on offer, exam results etc. and base their school choices on that. So of course if religious instruction is on the curriculum, then that will be discussed at the same time.

but we all know that if people had to "do religion" on their own time, take kids to church lessons on their time etc, it would quickly die out as I don't think there's enough of an appetite for it.

What’s this “we” business? 😳

I don’t think you realise just how deeply ingrained religions actually are in Irish society. Schools, hospitals, halls, clubs, organisations… these weren’t established by whole congregations, they were established by only a small number of people who organised themselves into what they are now. The only way they actually die out is when people stop attending, and I can’t imagine people not having to attend hospitals, schools, sports and whole swathes of youth clubs, any time soon.

Church attendance figures dropping off a cliff is hardly a great indication of anything. There’s many more cultural aspects to religion that have fallen off a cliff too, and no harm - the idea of the priest condemning those people who aren’t in attendance at mass for example, not really a thing any more. It appears they’ve been replaced by anti-religious clerics.

people are abandoning the church in Ireland.

attendance is on life support and getting worse.

having it integrated into hospitals and schools is a holdover from previous generations and will hopefully fall by the wayside as the country becomes more and more irreligious.

Are you seriously going down that road?

You expect me to sit down at the keyboard and keep you entertained while I actually have a life to get on with?

Ronseal Dark Oak actually. Using a Black and Decker Airless sprayer.

I know your colour though - Pathetic Purple. And as another poster so eloquently put it, don't play the victim card! You asked for it - you got it.

Posession is nine tenths of the law. Whose name is on the deeds? If it's the government, then no monies change hands. Otherwise, pay up.

• Advertisement

i guess the state should be as forthcoming with the cash in the same way the church has been so quick, and not dragging its heels at all despite a sweetheart deal, to pay reparations to the victims of child rape at the hands of the clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And the monies owed from the various Magdalene laundry settlements, that the criminal organization known as the RCC has yet to pay. Perhaps payment via confiscation of property would work, there's billions in property out there for the grabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Two things that really need to be pinned to the start of any thread on religion:

1. Science is not a god, or a religion, and atheism isn't either.
    2. "I don't know, therefore god did it" is not a useful answer to any question.

The universe is approximately 13 billion years old, that's a long time for any of us to be waiting around for our shot of a century or less of life. Yet none of us can remember a thing. Odd, isn't it. It's almost as if, before we were alive, we didn't exist... and the universe will certainly be around for a very long time after any of us cease to be alive, too.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Many allegations and not all factually correct. But let's not have that biteen of truth get in the way.

The things people do for money never ceases to amaze me... things like lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

so youre saying that the church has not shielded and protected known child rapists and allowed them to continue raping children once their activities became known to the higher ups in said church?

if it`s pure numbers, how many rapes is ok and when does it become a problem to be concerned about?

You really don’t have to scratch hard on Christian morality to find the repugnant truth underneath.

No, so feel free to point out where you think I said it. You're making things up.

• Advertisement

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar and unto God what is God's.

Yours is the argument where you would keep hitting someone and lambast them for attempting to defend themselves.

Is it the law of the land or canon law takes precedence in matters of property in this state?

Advertisement