Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The thread is gone quiet, everyone must be getting to the end at this stage!

After a bit of a break, I've done the Haligtree area, but was fairly well trounced by Malenia when i got to her. I'm keen to finish the game now though, so I duplicated my save, and went on to dispatch Gideon and Godfrey / Horah Loux.

I believe its only the final boss left now, so I'll hopefully see credits roll tonight, and I can go back and tidy up the scraps on the other save as and when the mood takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've still been jumping in a little bit. Spent an hour or so last night trying (unsuccessfully) to help people beat Malenia. Well, there was hopefully one who succeeded considering I purposefully sacrificed myself when she was nearing death to pull aggro and take her waterfowl attack so the Host wouldn't be killed by it. But I didn't get to see the end.

But I've also still been finding caves that I hadn't done, through seeing videos of weapons or items other people have, realising I don't have them, and googling to find out where the tunnels are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm finished it and while I loved it I'm glad to be playing other games!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Think I might need to respec to rivers of blood my strength build and hitting things is making the crumbling farum azula and Melina very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I was the same, played 80 hours in the 4 weeks after launch. There was still bosses and areas I had to visit but at that point I was kinda burning out a little bit on it. Too much of anything, even Elden Ring, will make you sick of it. At least now when I go to do NG+ at some point next year I will have some new content to enjoy.

Fucking typical that the day I finished it was the day I got a VRR tv, still annoyed about that.

• Advertisement

Well, finally rolled credits yesterday evening, Im both sorry and glad that its over, I still have to do Melenia, but I'll come back to her in my own time. I finished at level 156 and with a shade over 100 hours played.

Truly, one of the best game worlds I've ever played, no corner felt like it served no purpose, or was rushed, as has been the case in previous From games.

I don't know how they'll ever top this.

Yeah, and I think I have to finally get off the fence and say, this beats Sekiro for me. Sekiro's combat system is so damn-near perfect and because the boss fights and enemies are specifically tailored for that the game has some of the best boss fights in any game, but Elden Ring beats it in almost every other respect to the point where I gotta give the win to Elden Ring as my favourite From Software game. It is so expertly crafted in almost every respect.

Only noticed this as I was installing Kodi on my one X to use it as a media server and went to my list of owned apps to do so and noticed I owned an app called Elden Ring Adventure guide. It's basically what I assume is a digital version of the manual from the physical version. Would have been nice for the gave to maybe tell you about it as I had no idea it existed or that I owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I just wanted to pop my stats and gear up here and get some tips on doing better. I've no interest in PvP so that's no a consideration.

I chose The Confessor because I liked the sound of using a sword and magic.

Level 76

Vigor 14

Mind 23

Endurance 14

Strength 14

Dexterity 12

Intelligence 28

Faith 46

Arcane 13

Quality broadsword +16 ( I'm sure I could be doing better than me starting out weapon at this point)

Haima glintstone crown

Astrologer robe

Astrologer gloves

Astrologer trousers

Demi human staff +6

Finger seal +13

What way does your sword scale? I’m no expert but it looks like you have stats in every thing as apposed to more focused.

I have a strength dex focus and nothing really in int arc or fait

• Advertisement

The only ones I've put any ruins into are Faith Mind and Intelligence and a few into Arcane so I could use some stronger spells.

Ill have to check on weapon scaling

Yeah you need to start focusing your abilities to a particular type of build to maximise damage. Even if you consider what types of spells you use most, levelling up and using a different seal/staff can make them more powerful (eg. using the Godslayer seal makes black flame spells do more damage, Clawmark seal boosts Beast spells). You should also consider a new weapon that scales best with your highest stats (so in this case Faith), but because you haven't been levelling Strength or Dex, you might not be able to use them.

I'd say it might be best respeccing at Rennala and picking and focusing on either Faith or Int rather than both, then adding some points into Strength or Dex (depending on what weapon you want to go with), and then throwing some more points into Vigor and Mind (because given the level you're at, there are going to start to be a lot more enemies who will be able to tank a lot of your hits but will one-shot you due to your low Vigor).

Also make sure to use talismans and armours which can boost whatever stats you need too, or to improve your durability to compensate for low vigor.

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ha i still login time to time just to help out people on final boss fight in the evenings. Would be keen to try out more builds but busy lately.

Get the Vigor up to 30 at least (ideally 40-50 for late/end game). I am actually impressed seeing this stats ha, you could barely get touched any enemies (or you are dead), so ya I bet you are master of everything you went through aha. Did you manage to get through liurna + volcano/caelid/capital?

Early faith related stuffs are known to be not so effective - so ya you are a confessor role playing an astrologer faith melee mage? Respect lol

And then ya like Penn said, can respec later depends on what you like. I respec a few times just to do a focused build (usually based on the chosen weapon).

Was getting bored of trying to help others defeat Malenia (started getting a good few wins, but so many of the hosts got killed by her aeonia attack at the start of phase 2 that it really started to annoy me), so decided to try duels at the Academy Gate.

Didn't do too bad, won more than lost. Mostly running an Int sorcery build with Wing of Astel for up close. Some duelists are absolute tanks with the heaviest armour and shield and there's f*ck all you can do with them. Some hide a helper to come out and double team you. But for the most part it's a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hmm Malenia

Reached her yesterday, need to play with my spells as my mimic isn’t lasting too long. Also resorted to playing off line, one too many summons to help others while I was whittling down a group of enemies and coming back post team up to a batch of full health attackers well it isn’t that much fun. Did find I flew through the Hagtree once this was turned off though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone else very disappointed with the soundtrack for this game? Found the soundtracks to be excellent in all the From games with some excellent melodies in the boss battles. I do like the music that plays in the overworld, its subtle but never intrusive. It's just the boss battle music really doesn't stand out to me. They've gone for a more cinematic approach which is more in line with the Demon's Souls remake soundtrack but at least it isn't as bad as that travesty. I just find modern cinematic music doesn't pop the way a track with a good melody or light motif does ala john williams.

I wouldn't say disappointed, but I think they have some great pieces which are used for the main/biggest bosses (shardbearers, dragons), and the rest is just mostly okay or kinda forgettable, likely due to the sheer number of locations and bossfights.

Ye I mentioned it before that the soundtrack is rather not memorable this time around, DS3 soundtrack stood out more wasn't it, Sekiro was ok (again short game/side project) but still have more memorable soundtracks than ER for me ha.

The most memorable/best music from ER is the main theme - which makes the final fight incredible but ya other than that....I actually cant recall much of the soundtracks - except background theme when we are roaming the world. I think that may be part of the cons for an open world game?

(And of course my obligatory best sounds From game would be BB, I still get chills now whenever I think of the bosses from it - oh my horse dude your soundtrack is sublime and imprinted into my soul)

It's funny I've finished all of the souls games except Sekiro, I never bothered with that because you can't summon in help. I've gotten through Elden ring without getting help with any of the bosses but I'm struck this time with how little of the finer and even general mechanics I understand or utilize properly.

So to be clear I should respec my character with most of my ruins going to Faith for my magic build and Vigor to help with the end game enemies? I was having a look at some weapons last night and i see that in the scaling menu that there are letters in different colours e.g INT D or Faith E what do do they mean?

Thanks

Main theme is an absolute banger, but yeah, I'm hard pressed to even tell you a single other piece that stood out to me.

• Advertisement

Sekiro didn't have stand out themes of melodies but my god was it good at getting the blood pumping during a tough fight. I really like it in that regard.

I do like BB's soundtrack despite it being a bit disjointed, the direct composers music all sounded distinct from one another.

I terms of favourites, I love Motoi Sakuraba's work on Dark Souls 1 and 2. Yuka Kitamura had some great tracks on DS2 as well and I'm disappointed that it didn't carry over to her Elden Ring tracks.

And I've a real soft spot for how creepy the Demon's Souls soundtrack is. It completely forgoes the wall of sound orchestration for very simple pieces that use a lot of medieval sounding instruments and chorus. It's really distinct and the remake's boring wall of sound orchestration completely ruined it.

For weapon scaling, where it shows the weapon damage (say 192 + 84), the 84 is the extra damage the weapon does due to weapon scaling. So a weapon with C scaling will do more bonus damage than D, B does better than C etc.

If a weapon has B Faith Scaling and D Strength scaling, it means you'll do more damage if you have more points in Faith, and upgrading Faith will increase the weapon damage more. Also important to note that as you upgrade a weapon, the scaling may increase (eg. a Faith weapon with C scaling might increase to A or S scaling as you upgrade it, meaning it'll do a lot more damage with more points in Faith).

So it's important to pick a weapon that might work best with your current stats, as the weapon scaling will greatly increase the damage it does. Same goes for staff/seals as it can increase the power of spells.

Int is for mage build - as in mainly sorceries: pebble, rock sling, carian sword spells, moonblade adula, dark moon, comet azure etc are the cookie butter. And since you could only cast sorceries with casting weapons (wand etc), the spells scale with the weapons you use (e.g. some late game/upgraded mage weapons are usually INT A or S for example). In short, for sorceries, the higher Int stat you have, they deal more damage (with the right weapon that has good scaling).

Same principle for other builds like Faith, Str, Dex, Arcane - different build has different pros and cons depends on your preference. That's why i said find a good weapon and build around it.

Generally i think most people first playthrough do melee build (str or dex/arcane), or Int mage range build. Faith build (incantation, dragon spells etc) is known to be 'not effective' (for new players anyway, as you will need to know exactly what build you are doing). I can see someone does melee build with some faith supporting spells (golden vow etc) for first playthrough though - so ya you can experiment if you want. You have about 20 chances to respec, feel free to experiment but just remember the chances dont come by easy (and are limited).

Vigor at 30 minimum (and ideally 40-50 as i said) is just general advise, because many late game bosses have these 'stat check'. I mean sure you dont need any HP if you dont get hit (ha) but ya many mid/late game bosses will basically 1 shot you if you have less than 30 vigor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Finally, after 116 hours I finished it, it was down to pure stubbornness in the end that I persevered but I suppose it was worth it.

I don't no where to start to be honest, I'm glad it's over tbh, the later parts of the game were rough and I felt burnt out with it, I don't even think I enjoyed it towards the end.

The hardest boss for me was Radagon and Elden Beast, getting through Radagon wasn't really the issue it's just when you do beat him you're going into Elden Beast depleted and that boss is a war of attrition, he just keeps running and running away it's very difficult with a mele build, so long and drawn out, no way that should of been a double boss imo but they were doubling up bosses all late game so I wasn't all that surprised.

I did all of Ashen Capital before the Haligtree because I was honestly going to skip Malenia due to her being optional I was that burnt out with it, but today I decide to give it a go, the Haligtree area was a nightmare, probably the hardest area of the game, I found myself just running through the area getting to graces just to get to the boss, it's not a fun area to explore because of the usual bullshit, overpowered enemies in huge numbers and traps and weird frustrating layouts.

Anyway I got to her and managed to beat her on my 3-4 attempt, I was surprised because she was touted as being the hardest boss in the game but I didn't find her that bad, it's just a case of being aggressive to stop her healing and blocking that huge special attack she has and running under her when she does that massive rot AOE.

I found the mimic tear to be invaluable, I actually got the mimic very late and honestly it was a game changer, at plus 10 it's very good, very tanky and puts out good damage, got me through the game really and I hear the mimic was nerfed a bit too, can't imaging how strong it was before.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but I do think they tried to do too much, I don't think a 100+ hour game suits a soul's like difficulty/experience, you inevitably become burn out with it, as I said it was stubbornness in the end and I was glad it was over.

It looked and played beautifully, I thought the areas were well designed and aesthetically everything looked amazing, it's a solid 7/10 game for me, but it's no where near as good as its being touted as in my opinion.

I’m on the haligtree area now and it’s very annoying. Have had so many stupid falls

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've had my fill of Elden Ring. I may come back to it when the DLC comes out but I may have played it so much that I'm burnt out on it.

Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Dark Souls 2: SotFS, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 would be my ranking of Soulsbornes.

I think it's time to finally try Sekiro.

Yeah the duels were fun for a bit, but I've had my fill of them now.

Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga was on sale on PSN, so going to use it as a palate cleanser to wean myself off Elden Ring. I probably won't be able to bring myself to delete it from the PS5 just in case there's stuff in updates I want to check out, but it's time to move on.

You're in for a real treat with Sekiro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I would agree with your tier list but have only played Bloodborne, ER and DSIII.

I loved ER the whole way through but it had very little re-playability compared to BB, which just resonated with me at some level for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I also burned myself out on Elden Ring, it actually got better as it went on (which is rare) but I had just played too much of it in such a short space of time. I never went to areas with Malenia or Mogh, so when the DLC comes out I am gonna do those areas I left and the DLC. Be like playing a whole new chunk of the game and I can't wait.

As good as it was I would also rank it behind Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake. For whatever reason them two just really absorbed me into them.

• Advertisement

The haligtree is burning me out big time. The enemies are a huge step up from other areas

Advertisement