Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The site is listed on ecars as having power constraints

any of you gents, come to the aid of misses Ted1 today in Enniscorty? Thanks.

She couldn’t get it to charge and was running on effectively a AA battery. As advised by the passerby, it’s a touchy charger you need to ensure you power down your car fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The 50KW in the car park beside the Garda Station? I've reported that one a few times to ESB as it seems to give an issue every two weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Several type 2 AC in Enniscorthy, lidl has a type 2 also, free , do some shopping and enough juice to get to any of the other 3 towns in Wexford.

Nothing better than 50KW in Wexford other than Ionity in Gorey.

Could definitely do with 150KW near Wexford town. Would be ideal for traffic for Rosslare.

A 50KW in Bunclody would also be handy if heading to/from Carlow. Then a 150KW at the McDonald's on the Carlow exit would cover southeast traffic heading to Kilkenny, Carlow and Naas direction.

• Advertisement

Gorey will be fairly busy once the schools finish and people head down for the summer. There will be loads who won’t have a charger at their mobiles.

Yes. It’s either pay Ionity or string granny chargers out of mobile homes. Which have limited KVA supply as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Probably a combo of both, stop at Gorey for a 20 mins top up, then use the granny lead at reduced current to cover the rest

Even at 8A you'll still get 22kWh over 12 hours, enough for a good 100km of driving

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Given that ESB's only hub is having supply issues, and their recent price hike, Ionity is looking like a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

I've not used it myself, but have heard from a semi-regular user that it may also be necessary/help to hold/push the CCS connector firmly into the charging port on the car while starting the process on the charger, until the handshake completes. I can see that being a pain of a stretch to complete one handed on some cars, but some people may find it helpful to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What a time to be someone who works for ESB's cousin/niece/nephew...

I'm unfortunately not in any of those categories but I'd be tempted to apply since they're apparently taking on IT professionals (which is a fairly broad description anyway)

Not sure I'd be able to survive the ESB work culture without having a nervous breakdown though. If Ecars is anything to go by then project delivery isn't rewarded 🙄

Had a look myself as I'd be half tempted too being in the power industry already...

Who wouldn't want a job/pension for life regardless of how rubbish you were at your job??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks at the jobs too, Dublin based only (Finance), even with hybrid working, no thanks, ain't doing that traffic

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

had my first really bad experience of ecars though i dont use it much at all, but drove up north yesterday to Ballymena, charged in the Applegreen in Castlebellingham. Was going to a hotel and there was a charger near enough. So got to the hotel and had 100km left - checked the app and both slots were free, asked the hotel concierge to follow me down which he was happy to do, get there and both are in use - but app is showing they are free.

Up early enough this morning, again app showing both are free, I get there and there's a guy in his Tesla sitting in it, he says the app always shows this charger as free even when they are full - he's leaving his tesla in for the day.

So into the car with the wife, have 4 charges on my route back across the border - all CCS. Get to the first one - and its offline, called ecars "yeah its offline" but the app says its online - "sometimes that happens". Get to the next one and range anxiety is kicking in, I get there as chap in a beemer is trying to get it working and also on the phone to ecars. We leave after about 10 mins.

Get to the next one, and after a 40 min wait, I get my turn, after 30 mins, it turns its self off, call ecars - "oh theres a safety issue, its been in operation non stop today so it has to cool down for a while"

the 4th one we could have stopped at kept going red/offline in the app - so didnt even bother stopping.

So back into the car, pulled into the Applegreen Southbound at Castlebellingham, 10/15 mins on the CCS would have got me home (south dublin).

Taxi guy in a kia niro "its not working great", so i plug it in, but the screen is telling me to plug it in. Back onto ecars, not much help, gave up and pulled into the one further south.

Should have taken the diesel tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

That’s a horrific experience, especially with family in the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Could someone please clarify the access and parking rules for the ESB AC chargers at Heuston station? I do understand DC are taxi only or taxi priority, but I am specifically interested in AC. Would it be OK to drive in in the middle of the day and plug the car into an AC charger and come back five hours later? And if so, does one pay only for the charging, or is ther some kind of pay and display? Also how does one get into these chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I'm a taxi driver who uses the taxi-only charger (only 1 works properly) in Heuston. A car park attendant told me parking is free as long as you're charging.

I'm not sure I'd be making plans around the eCars AC chargers as they're invariably used by 2 Irish Rail staff (an ID4 & a beemer).

The 1st of the newly located units at the Mayfield/J14 Megá húb (the 50kW unit, which has since been replaced) was turned on 1 year ago today, with the hyper units being turned on soon after.

So today is Mayfield/J14's 1st birthday!!!!!!!!!

...and it's still an only child!!!

So we currently have about 16 hubs? (eCars definition of a 'hub'), so what does that leave us, only about 38 more to install before years end (as promised by eCars).... so we are looking at roughly 1.3 hubs installed per week from here on through to the end of 2022.....

Niiiiiiiicceeeee...............

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How is this bull crap not getting more attention? Especially when we supposedly have a highly connected body representing EV Owners who have their feet under the table with everyone who counts?

Careful now Phil or you might not get invited to the annual eCars Dinner Dance/Christmas Party....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Everything is on hold due to the public consultation. By Q3 we will have a new strategy. They will replace the chargers with new purple ones. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Parked on golden lane this morning and plugged in no hassle.

Just came back and there's a black model 3 parked beside me but not plugged in. Basically he's blocking the charger. Either a new EV owner or someone who thinks that parking at an EV charger means EV's only regardless of charging or not.

I had that at my local Tesco for a few months... guy who actually worked in Tesco and drives a Plug in Prius (yes, they actually exist) used to park in one of the AC charger spots, and never plug in... I can only assume he thought it was a personal space for his car because his car can plug in...

Anyway I posted it on the Irish EV owners FB page, and he then suddenly stopped parking in teh green space, but started using the regular space next to it.

Some people really are that stupid.

I'd photo the car, and post it on the Tesla FB & Irish EV FB pages and maybe it would shame the owner into not acting the pr1ck, noob or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've used that charger. It's very finicky and it's one of the newer style chargers that came in for the 22kW AC to 45kW DC upgrades. You need to push the CCS connector into the unit HARD to get the connector pins to unlock. Took me a few tries the first couple of times to figure that out. Secondly, you need to do the same thing when initiating a charge, push the top of the plug HARD into the car's socket. These connector pins go in where the type2 AC normally goes. On DC they are used for signalling and it seems that that particular charger is very sensitive. Not the model or anything but just that specific location. It worked on herself's Ioniq28 only after following the above steps.

Chademo at that site seemed less problematic from talking to a leaf40 owner whilst we queued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

If the car park is owned by Irish rail (heuston is but some next to train stations are not) then Irish rail allow charging cars to not pay for parking. Beware AC chargers now have an overstay fee after 11 hours, but it might not technically kick in if your car is full, but never tested it.

As said heuston may be busy, if busy consider using the "taxi only" charger on the right, to top up if not busy. The taxi only left charger seems to be 10kW max versus 50kW max.

Advertisement