Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with roses

Options
  • 24-05-2022 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

So, bought my first house in 2020 and decided that this year I'm getting the garden set up with new plants.

I have a 6m long south facing wooden fence (the usual in new builds) and I decided to plant 3-4 climbing roses to cover the fence with them. First one went in no problem, but when I went to plant the rest, I discovered that there seems to be a shallow large rock all along the wall (about 20 cm deep). My question is, would this be too shallow for the roses? The pot is taller than the hole I can make, so I was wondering if removing the bottom of the soil that is on the pot, to make the rose flush with the actual ground, would damage the roots of the rose too much. Did I screw up my first planting attempt?

If doing this is a no-no, could someone recommend a suitable nice climber with nice flowers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

20 cm of soil isn't really deep enough for any climbers. How far out does the ledge go - is it just the foundations for the fence? In which case you may be able to move the plants a bit further from the fence and they should be ok. Or you could build up a raised bed, but obviously not right up to the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

If it only goes out that far plant them sideways with the growth facing the fence and the roots outwards, the roots will wander out and then down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But that 20cm will dry out very fast so that 2ft (this is metro-imperial calculations) of roots which I understand are the feeding roots will be very stressed. 2ft is a long way for roots to go adventuring. A decent heap of mulch would help I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you've ever dug up a rose you'll see that they like to root deeply and don't have much root at the surface like most plants, though like any newly planted plant they will of course require sufficient watering until established.

Op, and us, won't know until they try anyway :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement