Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Jones is interesting. He beat the ABs twice at the RWC and pulled off the biggest upset in rugby history when Japan beat the Boks in 2015. But when you look at each of those upsets, he had 2 plus years to plan for those matches but had no plan for what came after. And in each case lost the next match. Does that make him a good coach or just a good longterm analyst?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Imo while Jones has had some extremely high highs, you'd have to say he's underperformed in totality as England coach. Given the resources they have available in terms of money and players. He's had 2 championships in a row now where England have only won 2 games. I don't think an Irish coach would survive that. Kidney in 2013 had 1 win and 1 draw and was shown the door, EOS in 2008 had 2 wins and same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah in both EOS and Kidney’s case their final 6N were the last straw and not the only cause.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The European Player of the Year award is heavily influenced by what team you play for, and is not entirely based on a player's individual performances, so the amount of stock you can put in it as an accurate measure of a player's place on the world stage is somewhat limited.

Yes and as I said Jones has had two consecutive 6Ns with only two wins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And I'm sure he was on the edge because of it - but Kidney and EOS ultimately suffered from poor RWC performances which you can't accuse Jones of - and in Kidney's case it was a spiral of consecutively poorer 6N one after another. I think its a massive stretch to suggest that an Irish coach would be fired based off even two poor 6N performances. We haven't seen it so its all hypotheticals I guess, but I don't think its an accurate assessment.

Kidney was on a continual downward slide but a 2 win 6N is worse than every single 6N Kidney was in charge for bar 2013. I maintain my view that an Irish coach wouldn't survive the past 2 years that Jones has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The thing is though, Eddie Jones used this years 6N purely as a building block towards RWC 2023 and the RFU allowed him to do so (which I think devalues the 6N, but that's a different discussion). If they win the World Cup they won't care if he got two consecutive wooden spoons.

The IRFU go into every 6N to win it and unlike English coaches who are judged on RWC performance, an Irish coach is judged on 6N performance. Lancaster's 6N performance was consistently good (4/5 for 4 consecutive years, and incredibly unlucky not to win it in 2014 and 2015) yet he was sacked after a poor world cup. An Irish coach would probably have kept his job through that. If Joe Schmidt was an England coach he probably would have been sacked after 2015, even with his 6N record the two years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

The thing people need to remember with Eddie Jones in 2018-2019 is he inherited an English team with huge potential thanks to his predecessor but that team was just not ready for the 2015 RWC whereas they had a nice balance of youth, experience, size & ability by 2019. All he had to do was get that 23 fit and on the field and he was laughing, whereas now he sort of has to build a team from scratch more or less and most of the impressive performers in that 2019 team (Tuilagi, BV & MV, Owen Farrell etc) are really getting on in years and are just not as easily replaced. Yes he has good young players who can potentially take England far in 2023 but the issue now is there are too many if's but's and maybe's because we have very little evidence any of them can take to the international stage. Obviously we have the likes of Steward, Smith who've come in and done well but we have yet to see them all come together in a cohesive team because unlike this team one thing we all forget is Eddie won 2 6N's when he came in with the majority of the players he had in 2019 so we already knew most of those players could deliver at test level whereas now while England have the young cattle to potentially get them back on track we have little evidence they actually will perform. Personally I think Eddie's second term is a whole lot different to his first term and im not so confident he can turn the ship around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think it was probably a bit similar at Leinster with Cheika and Smith. Smith was a master coach, but it's probably fair to say he wasn't as good as Cheika - or indeed Lancaster - at building a strong squad. Different coaches have different strengths, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Sort of agree although I would question Smith as a coach also when you consider what he had at his disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not even sure who Smith is? Alas Smith and Jones.

I assume you’re not referring to the most successful coach in Irish history there, Joe Schmidt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think that works in both ways though. an average/decent player can be made out to be amazing due to looking better than those around him - see sergio parisse for example

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Jones problem is the team from 2015 was the core of the 2019 WC team. For 2023 that core is now too old and he hasn't managed to replace them

Lets not forget how affective England are with Tualigi, a player who was ruled out of 2015 after he hit a police woman. If he was available it might have been a totally different story for Lancaster

Jones took that approach because he knew the team was a shambles. Easier to go into the 6 nations saying he wasn't going to win anything and then fail than going in with the hope of winning and then failing.....he said it was a building block but what exactly did he build by the end of the 6 nations? the performance went downhill instead of uphill.

The last game v France was a total disaster with Genge taking the number 15 role, as everyone said it worked maybe 1-2 two times, then the French knew he wouldn't pass so just lined him up and nailed him. If that is the best Jones can come up with he is in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Jones problem is the team from 2015 was the core of the 2019 WC team. 

I'm not sure I fully agree with this.

Jamie George was capped by Lancaster but only became a starter in 2018 under Eddie. The Vunipolas were both squad players under Lancaster and only became world class under Eddie. Eddie gave Sinckler and Itoje their debuts in 2016. Curry was identified by Eddie in 2017 when he was just 19. Underhill was also brought in by Eddie.

Playing Ford and Farrell together and building his style around their strengths was EJ's idea. Lancaster tried it in one game in 2014 but didn't pursue it seriously. Tuilagi would have played in 2015 had he been available, sure. Watson and May were both there under Lancaster, fair enough. But Daly made his debut under Eddie and it was his idea to move him to 15, which worked extremely well for about a year.

England team v SA 2019

1. Vunipola
    2. George
    3. Sinckler
    4. Itoje
    5. Lawes
    6. Curry
    7. Underhil
    8. Vunipola
    9. Youngs
    10. Ford
    11. May
    12. Farrell
    13. Tuilagi
    14. Watson
    15. Daly

England team v Aus 2015

1. Marler
    2. Youngs
    3. Cole
    4. Launchbury
    5. Parling
    6. Wood
    7. Robshaw
    8. Morgan
    9. Youngs
    10. Farrell
    11. May
    12. Barrett
    13. Joseph
    14. Watson
    15. Brown

Only 4 players were still there in 2019. All in the backs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Parisse has never won it.

The first winner was O'Gara in 2010 and to this day he remains the only recipient of the award who didn't play for either the winner or the runner up of that year's tournament.

If you play for a team that doesn't get to the final you have very little chance of winning the award no matter how good your performances are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

O'Gara won European player of the 15 years in a row. Incredible achievement!

i was speaking in generalities rather than about awards but i get your point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

The award is a joke. This won't be popular around here but O'Mahony is a prime example of how ridiculous the process is. He won 18 turnovers in 6 games, 10 more than the next best. He also stole 8 lineouts which is double what the player in second place has. By rights those numbers alone should have seen him make the shortlist. He didn't even make the longlist. JOD did for getting a MOTM award on his 150th appearance, despite the fact he conceded 4 or 5 turnovers over the course of the game.

JOD has had a good season but O'Callaghan gave him the award on his 150th appearance despite him not being in the top 5 best players that day. Dupont was nominated after playing 60 minutes (against Cardiff?). The whole thing is farcical.

• Advertisement

They can add players to the shortlist weren't on the longlist, i.e. Lowe didn't make the longlist but is on the shortlist. Quinlan talked a bit about it on one of the OTB podcasts in the last week or two. The judges have a fair bit of leeway, if they thought POM should be on the shortlist he'd be on the shortlist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The judges have a fair bit of leeway, if they thought POM should be on the shortlist he'd be on the shortlist.

The judges decided DuPont should be on the long list after 66 minutes against a Covid-hit Cardiff. So, I’m not sure how much we can read into what the judges think.

And also, I think a public vote is taken into account too.

So again, I’m not sure we can read too much into it.

He's not even the best 6 in Ireland lads, never mind Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Oh god no, I forgot his name and thought we were talking about Matt O'Connor!

Schmidt is a legend and always will be!

Exactly my point, the issue now is who do we know is going to come back into the England team and totally change the game for England? Yes they do have young players coming through who could do the job but it will all be based potential rather than any tangible evidence, at no point this RWC cycle have England looked like a potential RWC winning side and quite frankly are going to have to show improvement beyond all recognition in the next 12 months to change that.

1. Tuilagi

If he is fit then Jones will hope he can pull the team through a WC. If not then he is f**ked because he still hasnt resolved the centre question which was the downfall of Lancaster in 2015

tuilagi might be one of the most overrated players in the world, hes not going to completely change the game for them

You should talk to BOD about that because he said he was the best centre he ever played against and he played against a couple of decent centres in his time

England record with him is also fairly impressive from recollection

• Advertisement

That might have been the case in 2019 but in 2023 he'll be 32, there are question marks weather his body at that age can withstand the way he plays the game. He will improve the side no doubt but will he be the game changer he was in 2019? I have my doubts. Of the players mentioned the only one I can see coming back and potentially being a game changer is Owen Farrell.

Advertisement