Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭FinnC

Hi Thanks for the reply. Will I need some sort of identification though like a birth cert? Obviously I don’t have photo ID for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cnmff

My child's passport went to printing on the 5.20 update, flying out Saturday, anyone know when I should get a tracking number / how long I'll be waiting for it to arrive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 House of love

My son's passport went to printing Sunday afternoon we got it this morning in Cork, you should get it by Friday the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 House of love

• Registered Users Posts: 4 david.keogh15

When did you apply initially?, and when was your estimated Issue date.? Ours is the 31st of May but we have flights to travel on the 30th so praying they go to print today. Local TD made representations on our part and was confident we would get them this week but so far no update.

I originally applied in March - estimated issue date was 27th then moved to 31st so I phoned daily, got TD's involved and Senator, went into the office 3 times, then yesterday it went to print. Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 david.keogh15

Thanks for the update, Mine just went to print at the 11.20 update delighted. Assume they should arrive now before Monday. Oh the stress of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Giotto3

Oh the stress of it all is right! And then, one you've been fortunate enough to get your hands on the passport you might have the added stress, depending on where you're going, of paying and waiting to see if you test negative within 48 or 24 hours of your intended departure! Hope you get away!

Just to let you know mine updated to dispatched on the 19.20 update this evening and I now have my tracker number so hoping for delivery tomorrow fingers crossed! Positive thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Can you go into the passport office? I'll try anything at this rate. Have tried the constant phoning, TD letters and webchat. Applied the 6th of feb.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,157 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

My wallet was stolen with passport card inside, so now lost.

My passport book is safe & good for another 6 years.

They have different numbers.

Advice appreciated on what I need to do, if anything (I've never really used the passport card, as I've always brought my passport book when travelling for fear that an airline wouldn't accept the card).

Thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jo187

Hi guys

My passport is due out end of Sept. Only going to uk in August but going ryanair. I'm putting application in tomorrow what are my chances of getting it back at the moment? Cheers.

Your passport will be valid for your travel. Some people have it in their heads that they need X months validity on their passports. Only for select long haul destinations not UK or EU.

Fwiw if it's a standard online renewal you should get it within 72 hours but why would you do yourself out of a few months passport validity.

I'm not sure about this. Ryanair said they would not accept it for August date as out in Sept. I Don't really want to get into a showdown with them at the flight desk.

If it's only 72 hours turnaround the thats fine. Cheers.

I'm just hearing all the horror stories at the moment and worried.

• Advertisement

If it's an Irish passport and you're traveling Ireland to the UK or vice versa the passport only has to be valid for the duration of your stay to be valid on Ryanair.

I don't know. I spoke to ryanair about and there policy won't accept it. I won't risk it and anyone else reading the thread I would hate for them to end up in a predicament.

Anyone else in a similar situation get in touch with Ryanair for there stance on it.

Is it only new passports that are caught in limbo? Or one's done via the passport? The turnaround for renewals online is good yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 helenjane

Hi guys

i applied back in March, issue with one passport saying ink was fade on a particular section of consent form. I resubmitted and after a week the new document has uploaded and tracker updated.

New date is 3 days after we are due to travel in June. Has anyone got the passport before the estimated date when documents have been resubmitted?

I’m going to try get through tomorrow and have been in touch with my local td. Is there anything else I can do to speed it up?

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

Hi All...we are travelling this year, for the first time in years like many. Three of the kids passports are out of date come the end of July. We were of the understanding that you needed 6mths validity left on your passport to travel, so we applied for renewals in early Apr. The trackers says they are to be issued the end of next week. It's too tight as we fly on the 7th. Called the US embassy today (which we should have done from day dot) and they confirmed we could use their current passports. So we are wondering can we cancel the current applications we have in? If they get issued, the risk is we won't receive them on time anyway (bank holiday on 6th and we'd be gone to airport before post arrives on 7th), plus we have to do the esta visa thing in advance on going. I just can't see an option to cancel online, so is it back to trying to ring them/get them on webchat? Would they refund? I saw a post earlier on this that someone got refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 question123456788

Hi All. Looking for some advice here. I stupidly used Passport Express to apply for a First Time passport for my son, I submitted it in Post Office in March and the tracker confirms it as application received on 22/03/2022. The estimated issue date was 17/05/2022 however it is still showing as processing.

I subsequently heard on the radio that First Time Passports need to submit photocopies of parents Passports/ birth certs - which I unfortunately did not do. However I do recall the guard verifying our passports on the Passport form that we submitted so Im wondering/hoping is this not a requirement for Passport Express and just the online service?

We absolutely need to travel at the start of August for a very important reason, so Im wondering should I just submit a concurrent passport online application now, what are the risks of doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

If you only provided your child's birth cert then you'll be asked for more stuff. Any child born after 2005 is not automatically Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

@question123456788 You do need to provide a photocopy of the parents passports or birthcerts whether doing online or postal application. The issue is that they will not check this until near the estimated due date - I see you’re over your date so I’m assuming they haven’t verified this yet. I’d try to get in touch with them to let them know rather than starting another application as this could cause confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2 question123456788

Thanks but just cant through on phone or web chat no matter what. Is there any way I can just post these photocopies in now ? And maybe include a letter explaining and giving the tracking number? Do you know what the PO Box is?

Or alternatively will I get anywhere if I go into the Passport Office?

Hi it’s a nightmare but if you ring over and over you will get through just keep hanging up and ringing again…you might have to try 80 times but it does work. Try at 11 or 3. Good luck!

Deleted

Hi I just wanted to check if you went to the mount street office or balbriggan? Delighted you got yours in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Ask a Question if I may,

Applied for daughter renewal and they showed getting documents Feb 28th, yet still took until May 13th for passport to print.

Passport was heading to US address (work assignment) but shortly after clearing customs tracking goes dead, supporting documents send just to be safe posted a week later already in hand. USPS have no clue and less interest in helping.

Original passport still has some time left on it, but told it is no longer valid once you apply for a new passport, yet language on DFA says no longer valid once new passport book arrives, which it hasn't. So has anyone run into a situation like this, as we've travel booked home to ireland soon, and with 15 working day turnaround you'd think applying in Feb would be good enough.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thunderwump

With the passport having been issued and posted by the Passport Office, yours is now a ‘lost passport’ situation and I imagine you’ll need to go through that process to get a replacement. Looking online, because it was lost abroad it seems that you have to file a police report and then contact the Irish Embassy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just to give people some hope our experience has actually been surprisingly good, considering what others have been through.

We applied on 1st April for a child renewal and a 1st time passport for our new baby.

The child renewal we got in post in less than 3 weeks, and we recieved our babys passport last week one week ahead of schedule.

We had no issues with documents submitted and got both forms signed and witnessed by Gardai.

We are going on hols in July so it's a huge relief to have them.

So don't give up hope it is possible to get them on time in some cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

If our time-frame worked out like post above we might just make our trip next Friday (one week before estimated date). However, we're basically having to call it as there's no sign they've contacted witnesses.

Which leads me to another question - we're looking at the UK as an alternative. I now know that Aer Lingus don't require passport only ID for adults and specifically says ID not required for Under 16s. However, do we have to prove we are their parents? Do we need to bring birth certs. Our new baby's birth cert is, well, you know, in the passport office!

It's very frustrating acdublin.

Ours has worked out well, but the stress to get documents from time he was born!

We were told in hospitial that Dublin birth office only accepting appointments to register birth and next available appointment was 2 mths later!

Instead they advised us to go to office outside Dublin that had drop in option so my husband went to Drogheda one day and thankfully had it a few hours later.

Only then could we start process of applying for passport.

Very frustrating when your child has a right to birth cert and passport.

Covid has made an absolutely shambles of some public services. It's disgraceful that they have been allowed to continue with poor service even when Covid is long over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Have you ever seen the state of the technology that's used by government offices? An Post use old systems that look at least 20 years old. The HSE has to pay extra to keep their systems alive because nobody else uses them anymore.

The passport office technology is up to date and our passport is one of the most secure in the world. You can't automate document verification and security checks. First passports are the ones all future passports are based on so of course they take longer and extra attention.

I understand the need for due care and attention with first time applications BUT an announcement was made nearly a month ago now that they had reduced the time from 40 working days to 35 working days. This is not my experience. My application was made on 9th March and documents received and updated on the Passport Tracker system on 18th March. Today is working day 44 since our documents were logged on the system as received. The target date was 4th May and on that date the progress tracker was full. The next day the tracker reversed about a 5th of the way along and has stayed stuck there. It would be better if they'd come clean and be honest with people about the fact that when the tracker says that your documents are being verified at stage 3 that this is not true. My witness hasn't yet been contacted. The general public believes the wording on the tracker system about the various stages but we have to learn, by bitter experience, that the tracker's supposed progress is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wends64

I applied for first Irish passport 21st February. It is now 14 weeks. The tracker has stated estimation date 18th April and it is still stating this date. I actually got through to passport office after 60 attempts. Customer Agent said I was in the final security check that was 3 weeks ago. Is the estimation date ever updated? How long have people waited for first passport postal application? I am going on holiday in July. This is now 61 working days since I applied.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 36 40wattbulb

Hi Look for some advice

Passport applied online in early May 9th, it was an adult renewal but my passport had expired in 2020

• May 20 later got an email asking for Mothers maiden name - replied within 1 hour
    • May 20 Got an email looking for long form birth cert
    • Sent it took about 1 week from being delivered to acknowledged on the system
    • New Estimated date - June 20th

Will it make it on time ?

Thanks

J

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

"Our new baby's birth cert is, well, you know, in the passport office!"

You can get another one for €20 in any Civil Registration office.

• Advertisement

Nobody here can answer that with any degree of certainty but what perplexes me is the length of time. Are you sure your passport was only 2 years out of date? That should still qualify as a standard renewal. Did you apply by post maybe? A standard online renewal should take less than a week.

Thanks for the reply @Caranica , understand it is a crystal ball questions :)

• Yes passport expired in 2020
    • Applied online
    • I wonder if I misspelt my mothers maiden name or I got randomly selected for extra scrutiny 🤔

Or you share a name or other details with someone on a watch list or a stolen passport. Something is definitely odd about your case.

That's it...I had a passport stolen about 20 years ago...I guess that is going to follow me around for life!!!

Do you think it could get further delayed 🤔

Well, for your interest:

9th March: 2 online applications (first time)

10th March:Tracker moves to "Alert" stage - you need to send supporting documents

18th March: "Processing application" - supposedly verifying the documents they've now received.

7th April: Tracker moves to "Processing application: your application is being processed."

4th May: This is the estimated issue date. No passport as yet.

Today, 30th May: witness texts me at 15.11 to say that someone from Passport office rang her to verify my husband's application. While on she mentioned my application to him and he pulled up my application to save a further call to confirm for me as well.

Today, 30th May: at 15.25 I checked the Passport tracker and it said "Printing" for my husband's passport and mine went to "Printing" after the 17.20 update.

I have no idea how long it takes from Printing to actually receiving the passport but at least we're getting somewhere. This proves to me that contacting the witness is about the last thing they do.

I'm just wondering if everyone here is using Gardai for their witness?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it could. Stolen passports are treated very seriously and draw additional scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 km882022

Does anyone have any good news or has anyone gotten 1st time children passport issued earlier than estimated date?

Need a bit of hope!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 overandabove

Apologises if this has been asked earlier on in thread just wondering have many people got TDs to contact passport office on their behalf and has this been successful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

In my case I have Tds calling the passport office and emailing regularly and it hasn't helped at all. We are due to fly Friday and no sign of the passport.

We can't even rebook our flights until we know its gone to print as the guy I spoke to in the passport office today said of they call three times and the garda doesn't answer its automatically refused and we have to reapply for a third time.... disgraceful joke of a system.

From my many, many calls and emails I gather you are in a queue and that's it, TD can do diddly squat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement