Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLSA are a disgrace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Complete and utter nonsense.

Medical science in TUD (formerly DIT) was 576 points this year.

CIT/UCC course was 590

ATU galway (formerly GMIT) was 517

Most Medical scientists also have a masters as its needed for promotion.

This is a highly educated profession.

Biochemists can only work in one department. How can you have specialities like Haematology, Blood transfusion, Histopathology Etc without medical scientists.

Just going to pick up on your point about senior and chief posts. When someone gains promotion this doesn't mean they retain that status when they move to a job in a different hospital.

Over the last few years 3 of our staff left senior positions in Dublin hospitals to move down the country to raise their families and went back to basic grade. One of these people has since secured a senior post again, one of the ladies who didn't get the job will have to wait another 8-10 years for a shot at promotion when the next person is due to retire.

Another issue is the lack of permanent contracts that hospitals offer. A lot of contracts are temporary which are hard to fill. People are reluctant move cross country for a temporary position in case it falls through.

Our Haematology department is without a senior for over 2 years. Previous person retired and job was advertised as temporary.

Our histology dept didn't have a senior or a chief for over a year. Staff shortages are in every grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

"Absolute scutter" again, LOL. Coming from the poster who had to emigrate and now is waxing lyrical about how he has a good job in a great university.

Plenty of discussion on the issues faced by actual scientists in that other thread.

Sounds like you are suffering from a type of Stockholm Syndrome or have a vested interest. As you work for a university, likely a combination of both.

The career prospects for med lab scientists are better than those for scientists with majors in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, environmental science and others. The fact that med lab scientists are now striking doesn't say much for science as a career choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You are literally regurgitating the silly, fact free drivel from the other thread. Since it's irrelevant here, I won't bother responding.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I've noticed this with you in other threads. telling people they're talking sh*te and denying their experiences/shutting down discussion by demanding evidence that you know can't be provided. Then fecking off. I wonder what evidence would suffice for you in this case? Payslips or lists of names of those who had to do a second degree because they couldn't get a job with their science degree. Including names of those who went back to study med lab science because their first science major was a mistake. Then managed to get a job and are now on strike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I always give people a fair chance to substantiate their arguments. Instead, as you've done they double down as if repetition increases accuracy.

I'm not rehashing that nonsense thread with your weird hatred of science here.

Evidence is evidence. I suggest you google it if you require clarification.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

I can't understand how anyone wouldn't support our healthcare system (or other emergency services like fire and gardai) being well funded including fair and equal pay.

100% back strike action when people have been fobbed off, especially to this length. The HSE itself is a shitshow that requires an overhaul, funding and a massive recruitment drive. 4 day weeks for the staff and ensuring they are working set hours and not being run into the ground.

I don't give a **** how much it costs because when I'm on a hospital bed I'd prefer to be treated by people who are happy with their working conditions than people who are overworked and underpaid.

Same here. You'd essentially turn the HSE into a glorified training ground for the private sector with incredibly low standards for the staff who remain.

They waited until the pandemic had largely receded and fair play to them for that. I hope they succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely, workers should never be allowed strike, ever, they should just suck it up, and get on with their lives, and be grateful in life!

As usual, a condescending snark. I'm well aware of Google, thanks, and there are many articles, discussions, letters to newspapers etc. to be found regarding poor job prospects for scientists

As I said to you in the other thread, go back and read your OWN posts on this site about difficulty in finding a job and emigrating. I suppose that's all forgotten now that you have a "good job in a great university" and science is great. Meanwhile ,you support striking med lab scientists who have union representation and legal recognition that non medical scientists can only dream of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Salaries in private match the rates agreed in the public hospitals.

This disputes predates the creation of the HSE

The other thread is irrelevant.

I'd rather non MLS's got better pay and conditions as opposed to MLS's getting even less. You're just spouting divisive guff here.

Point out where I said that MLS should earn less. I already said I support their strike.

Lack of recognition of scientific work and 18 year olds being misled by vested interests, the clueless and those with short memories regarding the career prospects in science - that is relevant here.

The medical scientists have had a valid gripe for 20 years yet only now are striking, why is that. A "nothing to see here, shut up and keep the head down" type attitude from some? Like in the other thread where you refused outright to take on board anything negative about science job prospects despite your own posted history of emigration and difficulty getting a job.

Scientific work is regarded as nonproductive, it isn't patient facing and the general public doesn't understand it. It's already an uphill battle without people talking rubbish about all the "great opportunities" in science. I've come across several scientists who complain regularly about their career path yet have agreed to do presentations to secondary school kids on scientific careers and only a positive spin was allowed. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Medical scientists have considered industrial action many times in the past.

Public service agreements, meetings with various branches of the government always kicked the can down the road. Promises after promises.

The croke park agreement brought the extended working day. A routine day went from 9-5 to 8-8. More routine hours for the labs to cover but no increase in staff or pay.

People obviously opposed but the profession was threatened with outsourcing, redundancies and further pay cuts. We know cervical check was outsourced and how badly that turned out.

We were told big satellite labs will be set up around the country where all GP samples will be processed. The hospital labs will be downsized and people will be out of a job.

This was of course a load of sh*t. Fear and intimidation are persuasive tools to get people to cave.

I suggest you do your own research instead of expecting to be spoonfed.

Again, your other thread and amount of unproven nonsense therein is completely irrelevant.

True to form, another short snipe without addressing any of the points raised.

Just looking at the other thread I'm laughing at one of your worthless, condescending rebuttals

"there are pharma plants and research groups in Ireland"

No sh1t.

Seeing as we are making "suggestions" now, I'd suggest you leave discussion of career paths and Irish IR issues to those who have a clue and actually work in Ireland.

You didn't make any points. You just posted deranged insults and then played the victim card when called out.

Martina1991 clearly has insight here but you're ignoring that so you can exhume your dead thread from before the site rework and use it to attack me.

I can post where I want. If you can't handle your narrative being questioned, I suggest you avoid discussion forums.

Poor you. Telling people that they are talking scutter and how you're not going to spoonfeed them and making condescending remarks is your idea of addressing a post and calling something out?

I don't care how long ago the other thread was posted. Anything that anyone posts on this site is public information that can be referred to at any time.

It is comical how you won't accept that there are poor career prospects in science yet support strikes by scientists who have some of the best T&Cs (for the list of reasons I posted) of any of us. And I'll leave it at that so you can have the last word if you want.

Perhaps you could provide some evidence instead of insulting people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AMLS stop several over qualified scientists getting into their jobs just because their undergrad was not an AMLS one. As someone who has hired several, they are no better than any one else coming out of a general biochemistry or related degree, in fact experience in one company would tell me they are much worse until they gain experience. Even getting in after the fact puts most in a financial position that simply isn't worth it. They have also started swaying some private companies into thinking having all their lab staff as AMLS is beneficial. The medical scientists are great but the AMLS union is a pain in the hole and keeps several people out of jobs not only in the HSE but a few other companies who have started looking for AMLS

If they didn't close shop to suitably qualified scientists then they wouldn't have that issue. It tops out at 58k for a basic med lab scientist, many would call that a decent living wage. Go and do a Masters and get a promotion and you're on 70k +. Thousands of scientists would jump at that salary and a state job. Also still get overtime unlike most state employees, €40 an hour at the low end.

Its not low pay that haemmorages staff, it was the tightening of criteria. There are tons of scientists who would take that pay in a heartbeat, I certainly would have straight out of college. It is a well paid job that with attention to detail, punctuality and not taking the piss will see you have a decent wage and good working conditions for life.

• Advertisement

I wanted to be a BMS but, as you know, they tightened criteria. I was annoyed at the time but I got employment abroad and got to travel so it worked out quite nicely in the end.

But yeah, 21 year old me would have had your hand off for a nice government lab job for life.

To work as a medical scientist in a hospital laboratory you need to have the relevant qualification. You also need CORU state registration to practice.

Other science degrees, while varied and useful in other areas, is not a qualification to practice as a medical scientist.

Other science degrees can be quite specific to one area, particularly in the final year. To work as a medical scientist you need knowledge in all areas of laboratory medicine; Clinical Chemistry, Haematology, Blood Transfusion, Medical Microbiology, Histopathology and more. You need to understand and interpret results from the other departments to understand what is going on with each patient, what results require further investigation, what other tests my be needed.

Other degrees like radiography, physiotherapy, nursing etc are qualifications. Medical science is the exact same.

Just because someone did a science degree, doesn't mean they're qualified to work in a specific profession.

This isn't the union or academy being pedantic or tight with requirements. This is to protect the patient that every medical scientist is qualified and trained to the same standard.

There are plenty of graduates from the 3 degree courses. The problem is the poor conditions, morale and burnout that cause staff to leave the profession when they're in it.

So, to sum up, as per Martina1991's posts, the current CAO points for med lab science are 517-590 (517 is about a top 25% LC and 590 about top 5%) And for that very decent LC, the starting salary for a medical scientist is 34.4k, less than that for other health professionals. And here's what you can expect to deal with:

"poor conditions, morale and burnout that cause staff to leave the profession when they're in it"

"profession was threatened with outsourcing, redundancies and further pay cuts"

"told big satellite labs will be set up around the country where all GP samples will be processed. The hospital labs will be downsized and people will be out of a job"

"Fear and intimidation"

"will have to wait another 8-10 years for a shot at promotion when the next person is due to retire"

"lack of permanent contract"

"Staff shortages are in every grade"

"chronic staff retention issues"

This is clearly bad - but other science grads who don't have the all important specific degree, CORU legal requirement and unionised PS employment have it worse. As I already stated, I know science grads who returned to college to study med lab science because of the rubbish career prospects with more general degrees in chemistry, microbiology, biochemistry etc. None of them regretted that decision. Others went down the rabbit hole of PhD, short term postdoc contracts and forced emigration. Others got the hell out of science as soon as they could afford to retrain for an actual career which was anything from plumbing to accounting. Oh yeah, during the financial crisis I interviewed science PhDs (with postdoc experience) for unpaid Jobbridge "jobs" and had to reject them because there were more applicants than "jobs".

The points made by me and others in the other thread are only strengthened by what is coming out about medical science in this one.

Advertisement