Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Connacht were stripped of so many important players after the success of 2016, they never really replaced Nathen White. Someone of a similar style would be great.

Tietie like Papaili are big but wont have the fitness to play 60 mins. Connacht need back up like Leinster have for Furlong. Bealham will be rested a lot in a world cup year.

Sam Ilio looks good. It seems leinster didn't offer him a contract so Connacht stepped in, much like the Prendergast situation. But after his impressive 6 nations and the Connacht offer Leinster had a change of heart and offered him one. Financially it was better for him to stay at home then move to another City, so Connacht had to offer a pro contract to make financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Murphy is a super signing, he's a hard player, not an enforcer type but does all the dog work without being particularly skilled at anything. Very surprised Leinster let him go. We just need some beef now in the front row.

What's the story with the re-development next year, surely it would be an opportunity to move some if the bigger games to Pearse stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Ah here, that's putting words in my mouth. As tvpc said we never fully replaced White, and obviously there isn't an abundance of th props going around but if we could sign a solid prop even for a couple of seasons while continuing to develop Aungier and Illo I think we'd be well stocked there then. Aungier has shown some huge potential at times but obviously has some development to do yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Murphy is a really good signing, the other players from Leinster could go either way but Murphy is a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Pitch being replaced over the summer, the next phase will be to build the new training centre only after that I think the ground development will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think Dooley will also be a huge signing. With consistent game time could force his way into Irish squads.

Actually very excited for next season. The likes of DTM, Reilly, Devine,Forde, D Murray, Jennings, Booth, McCormack and Illo could push on and add to the young crop in prendergast, Dowling, Duggan, Burke, Aungier and Murray already involved.

Challenge cup is an ideal platform for these lads to push on. Hopefully it’ll only be for one season and by the year after you could be looking at having 10 odd under 23 players ready to compete at champions cup leave

Post edited by Wegians89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Sam Illo was offered a full academy place by Leinster.

Connacht offered him a senior deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's building on foundations of sand as long as the defence remains unfixed. For my money they need to look for a coach in England or South Africa who can implement effective aggressive and cohesive defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I notice you don't mention any of the new signings and I've great hope that a lot of them will work out. I'm a huge fan of David Hawkshaw since his u-20 days. I think he has the potential to be a great out-half. He can also play centre to a high level.

Adam Byrne just couldn't break through at Leinster on the wing but he'll get opportunities in Connacht, he's very talented.

Josh Murphy is another talented player who was left in a difficult position being behind Conan, Doris, Van Der Flier, Penny and Ruddock for starts. There's no shame in that and he could be a great one getting plenty of starts.

I like the signing of Ralston who has looked really good in the matches where I've concentrated on him since he was signed by Connacht. He's playing for a poor team who have fought hard to make the QF's of the Super Rugby season. He's down as a winger for Connacht but has played at outside centre for the Force.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I notice you don't mention any of the new signings and I've great hope that a lot of them will work out

??

Think Dooley will also be a huge signing. With consistent game time could force his way into Irish squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Tbh I think the new signings would all have gotten decent game time regardless of being in challenge cup or champions cup, where as the decent crop of youngesters coming though might benefit more in the short term from being in the challenge cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Seems like they might need to get a test for that eagle eye

Competely forgot about Dooley, fully agree with you.

The more competition for places in the squad the better for all.

The future is bright for Connacht Rugby. I'm seeing so many talented youngsters coming through. In ten years time I'd expect the majority of our squad to be homegrown. Obviously we don't have the population of other provinces but we'll be up there battling with the best I think.

Daniel Hawkshaw and Shane Mallon are joining the academy I hear. No news on ben popplewell or Finn Wright. Oisin Michel has been announced. Roydon swift another one expecting to join. Sam Prendergast will probably stay in Leinster as Connacht have 2 very promising 10s in Forde and Harry West

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Sam Prendergast is joining leinster academy, he had an offer from Connacht also.

thought it odd that West didnt play 10 for KH.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

What is Aungier like? Does he have the potential to be a first choice tighthead, or more of a squad player?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Did anyone hear anymore on Fionn Gibbons?

Apparently has been offered Munster & Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Connacht surely must be in contact with Jack McGrath after today's announcement.

• Advertisement

Found online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Really useful chart. Could really do with a hooker, particularly if Heff remains part of the wider Irish squad or Delahunt forces his way ahead, in addition to the rumoured TH.

Also we really are 1 Carty injury from a disaster, Fond of Fitz but has not been given a lot of gametime at ten this season and Hawkshaw/Forde are works in progress

Did you not see Hawkshaw destroy us about two months ago when he came on for Leinster?

He's the real deal and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Of course he's the perfect medical joker if one of Dooley/Buckley gets injured

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

That's very sad news about McGrath at Ulster. I hoped he was on the way back after the last operation, and thought Ulster would stick with him. It's not clear to me where his hip injuries stand now, but Ulster obviously decided that it wasn't worth persevering. In the meantime, we have LH sorted. Pity he doesn't play 3, but in any case I wish him the best. It's a hard game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Utterly bolloxed up the quoting on the mobile site, so apologies eagle eye

Re Hawkshaw, 100% acknowledge it. However it's very easy to look good behind a Leinster pack. What makes carty brilliant for us is his ability to play to his level when on the backfoot. Hawkshaw, who I really really hope makes the steps here, has to prove he can do that. While the recruitment this year has looked very smart (both Murphy and Langton look like they will add a lot), even at our best we have struggled for power at times.

Post edited by freyners on

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

and have about 10,000 people rattling round Pearse stadium???

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Pearse stadium; it's a genuinely awful stadium in the middle of a housing estate. It's a soulless bowl that is a mess to get to/from.

It's a staged development plan so connacht won't move out of the sg at any point of the development, though capacity will be curtailed at times.

• Advertisement

Ralston having a great game for the Western Force. They are on the verge of a big shock, leading with 5 minutes to go against the Hurricanes. Ralston scored the try to put them ahead.

Advertisement