Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to add, the shock and horror on Jimmy and Kim’s faces when they realised the danger Howard was in was masterful acting from Odenkirk and Seehorn. Especially as it was preceded by several minutes of their familiar, straight-faced ‘I have no idea what you’re talking about’ act. The transition from that to urgency and terror and genuine pleading with Howard to get out was a real moment of high tension. They’re two people constantly lying and playing 4d chess with others and we’re so used to seeing it… so the moments when the facade drops pack a real punch. And that was a particularly strong punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s really incredible how Vince Gilligan and the team can create a prequel of a show where every character’s fate is already known, and yet still pull off shocking moments like that. And not just pull them off, but perfect them. This show should be a case study for television writing and directing, it’s just that good.

The month and a half break is going to be painful after that ending, but I think it’s the perfect time to rewatch Breaking Bad which is something I’ve been putting off for years. Have to fill that Gilligan-verse void somehow. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Better than I even hoped.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That cheery 'Let's talk' was pretty f*cking chilling

When I saw the amount of replies on this thread I knew it would be good

Why have we to wait 6 weeks for more, THIS ISN'T FAIR!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There's a fair warning in the thread title. I avoid this thread from when the episode airs until I've actually seen it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't think I can top any of the comments above really. Fantastic hour of television.

I haven't always been convinced by the pacing and somewhat indulgent intro scenes at times, but it's been a great watch all the same, particularly in the later seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw someone point out how Howard twisting the shaken can mirrors Lalo twisting the silencer, and how Chuck probably used to do that to all his soda cans out of habit because Jimmy would probably shake them when they were younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

After all the build up thats how Howard went out, what an amazing episode.

I reckon Kim will go into hiding and thats why you never see her in Breaking Bad. Hope she doesnt die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Imagine we would be mind blown over a series that is literally about cinnabon bun making by Gene - I am sure i would be praising the cinematography and minute details 😂

Ah yes on the BCS intro - these washed out clips/footage related to Jimmy - i heard a fan theory not long ago and it kinda makes sense.

These seasons of intros come from the video tapes that Gene have been watching over and over and over again.....

And we know what happens to VHS tape (damn i feel old) when it broke down after too many watches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

that can twisting thing, I never heard of that before, I assume everyone will be trying it with their next carbonated can of whatever.

My favourite thing about the episode was the camera shot of Lalo in the drain with binoculars looking at the laundry.

I was hoping we'd see a shot of Walt or Jesse heading into the laundry from the pov of his binoculars.

There's no chance he would have seen Walt or Jesse. This is all happening a few years before the events of Breaking Bad. Tuco is still in prison before being released prior to season 1 of Breaking Bad, and Saul's office has a different decor than in Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was Gale cooking in the underground meth lab before Walt and Jesse? It's been so long now, can't remember exactly how that timeline went.

Not fully. He set up the lab and did a few cooks but couldn't get the purity high enough to match Walt's. That's what led Gus to hire Walt directly to run the lab. So I'd say between the end of BCS and the start of BB, Gus spends most of the time getting the lab constructed and fully fitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just realised the BCS writers engaged in some black comedy in the end scene s6e8.

Howard going on about always ‘landing on his feet’. Unknown to them all his fate was to soon land on his back.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The thwack when his head hit off the table on the way down was sickening....

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Was I imagining a look of realisation on Howard why Chuck started doing the can twisting? Being prepared for anything etc.

Basically Kim and Jimmy destroyed HHM first Chuck - Jimmy triggered his suicide hearing/insurance.

Mostly Kim’s lead planning indirectly led to Howard’s murder. Kim has been getting away with it all her life. Getting what she wants. It is about time she gets caught. I wouldn’t be sorry if she did not survive. As Mike would say she made her choices she is ‘in the game’.

HHM a once proud firm now is not only finished but has a tarnished legacy all thanks to Jimmy and Kim. One partner mentally unstable suicidal (which Jimmy let Howard take the blame for). The other partner Howard now rumoured to be a cocaine addict in his death. Both reputations destroyed in life and death.

I am definitely not shouting for Kim/Jimmy. Unfortunately we know one survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

just the incongruousness of seeing Lalo and Howard in the same room added to the horror of it.

Yes!!

And Tony Dalton ! what an actor, he nails the part.

I thought Gus did the job as a cold calculating sociopath well .... but Lalo is another level...

What Howard said to Jimmy/Kim was exactly right about what they are, they are really just doing it for the fun (Kim even gave up the lunch of next level opportunity for her career) - which 'answers' the same question that the audience (me anyway lol) has been wondering what did Howard really fault them aha.

And then the only sex scene happened in the series was right after that - i knew it that they must have done it purposely because we almost never even see Kim/Jimmy kissing on lips (basic intimacy) - it shows how twisted they are (but to me they are just funny and cute in a way? aha), they get off from doing (very elaborated) 'pranks' like that.

And they thought Howard would be alright after that anyway - but then BAM. Ya the ultimate prankster duo thought all was 'for the fun' until someone actually died (indirectly) caused by them. And now we will see where this fire they have been playing will lead them to - arrghh cant wait for July now.

The whole thing is tragic and sad but also funny and goofy at the same time - is actually the same theme from season1 til now so ya i really admire the team can come up stories that develop the characters so well with depth, magical tv really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Apparently a Howard prequel series is being announced Friday !!!!!

I know nothing much about acting but surely it very difficult to do what Dalton does with the Lalo character?

Casually switching between menacing then happy. And looking natural while doing so.

Maybe amateur thespians can tell me how difficult it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He is playing the a psychopath... not the first to do it, but definitely very good at it. His performance is not one dimensional and very charismatic.... kind of like Silence of the lambs or American pyscho

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Let's see how the hand gun in the tracks of the mini-digger in the lab features now...!

Post edited by Penfailed on

I'll say the same thing I probably said when Better Call Saul was announced:

I like the character and actor, but that seems completely pointless, probably boring, and I really don't think it'll work. Can't see it lasting more than 2 seasons. I'll give it a try anyway though.

Like another poster said it is likely Lalo gets buried in that lab.

Unless they do something left field I find it hard to predict what else could happen him. Because the Salamanca name is supposed to die with Hector according to BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I thought that is obvious?

Gus got tired of waiting and has made a plan plan to expose the lab to draw Lalo in. He counted the steps to the digger so he can get to a gun in the dark.

EltinJohn69 is obviously making a joke

EDIT: maybe you are too :p

• Advertisement

I’m guessing from reactions here that Howard’s murder wasn’t a rumour.

Isn’t it rare these days to keep a secret like about movies and TV?

I think I have had every major death in The Walking Dead ruined months in advance even when googling unrelated stuff. Been quiet though since Andrew Lincoln left so I am guessing that only means the show is talked about less.

Advertisement