Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change the internal mechanism of a lock so it opens with new keys

Options
  • 24-05-2022 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

This lock is welded to a small door within our gate but doesn’t work. Is it possible to keep the outer shell but change the internal mechanism for a new one?

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Angle grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

It might be possible for a locksmith to do it.

All the mortice locks today will be smaller than your mortice lock, and the guts will also be very different, even if you get the same brand name.

You could buy a same brand mortice lock and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you can split the lock in half then its easy enough if you can get the same lock - maybe one of the other house internal locks is identical.

Problem is its probably welded so you can't open it up.

However from the pictures it looks like you have already removed the old lock so I'm not sure what you are asking?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jfarr3ll

This is the state I found it in when we bought the house. Was hoping there was a way to make it usable?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jfarr3ll

i don’t have the equipment or skills for welding unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A locksmith might be able to figure out how to create a new key, but the internals are likely a seized & rusted mess. That's an internal door lock that's been out in the rain for decades. You're looking at a very expensive solution for no real gain.

Can you unscrew the faceplate from the lock mechanism? It looks like the shell itself isn't welded in, only the faceplate. So you might be able to something in that regard.

Really though, get the angle grinder out, cut her off.

You don't need to weld a new lock onto it. This is a bodge job by a previous owner, they fitted an internal door lock. You can get a proper lock for this gate.

Post edited by seamus on

Advertisement