Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I would feel the same re peaking at the correct time after the League but Wicklow last year is still the elephant in the room. It's hard to forget that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Down beat sligo during the week by 5 or 6 points in a challenge game

I don't think they'll be as bad as we think

If we don't go all out our summer will be with the clubs

We need to make a statement next week, am I sure we'll make it? Almost half a century of following Cavan has me wiser than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Championship start weekend is 22nd - 24th for Junior and July 28th - 31st for Inter and senior so quite a wait alright.

You'll find plenty of the intercounty lads would be more than happy with a break to nip away before club championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The league has no integrity when clubs with no players on the county panel have an unfair advantage over clubs that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I know it's miles away from the championship, and it's only the league but that's some statement from Ballyhaise this evening. Thoughts for Cavan_King at this difficult time (sorry lad, couldn't help it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I’m sure there is a way of having county players available for more games but i know it’s not going to happen. The league is a bit of a farce the way it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Derry look to be physically stronger in all positions. We're really struggling to break through their defence and relying on some long range scores. Not looking too good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Ballyhaise are an intermediate team but are first in Division One? Gowna only have seven points from seven games? Drumlane, a junior team, lead Division 2? Lavey are senior and made Division 2 semi finals the last two years but are near the bottom of Division 2. Also, due to the play off nature of relegation, Denn could not win a game in the League but remain in Division 2 by winning play offs.

There are plenty more anomalies than normal this year.

It’s been quite clear since the start of the League that a number of clubs are not taking it as seriously this year.

Pity about the minor team this year but Derry were stronger around the pitch. Not a bad first year for the management team and hopefully they’ll improve for 2023 like the U20 management team did this year.

Drumalee top end of Division 3 normal? I wouldn’t have thought that. I don’t remember hearing mention of them making Junior QFs or SFs the last few years. In fact I don’t think the WAC lads even rated them in their top 8 junior clubs iirc. Shannon Gaels are usually involved in the latter end of the junior championship and are near the bottom of the table.

We’re also back to demographics that I’ve previously mentioned. Cuchulainns & the Bridge have large playing numbers now - population greatly increasing in those areas. Ramor & Crosserlough have had this benefit already. Those clubs can manage missing players better than other sides due to the manpower available.

There have been more than 30 players missing across 40 clubs. The U20s were missing for a good few games and, due to the timing, clubs have also been missing players who were busy with final year college exams etc.

You also avoided a question I asked - would you not think it “farcical” that Denn could lose every game in Division 2 but not suffer relegation by winning a play off? Makes a mockery of the whole thing if you ask me. Lose 13 games but win one and retain your status. I couldn’t think of a better word to describe that than “farcical” and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the system contested as I’ve heard alot of chat about it at club matches.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement

Can’t say I’ve heard Drumalee described as a “coming team” by anyone - they were only relegated from senior in 2015 and are now junior. They’re amalgamating with Redhills in all underage levels and are still in lower divisions. U17s in Division 4. U15s and U13s in Division 3. They have had huge issues attracting youngsters whilst other clubs in their parish like the aforementioned Bridge & Killygarry are flying. I’ve limited junior football knowledge I readily admit but when were they last in the final 4 of the competition? Have they even been making the last 8?

Promotion the last few years has always split out into semis and a final with one or two teams promoted. I don’t see that as a big issue. The relegation is because a team can make no effort at all throughout the League but then retain their status by winning one game.

Where exactly are they a ''coming team'' though? You've said they're better than most sides in junior but I still wouldn't see them competing for honours with Knockbride, Arva & Drumlane all in the Division. Other sides like Drung, Shannon Gaels and Mountnugent have outperformed them in recent years iirc. They may have ran Denn close in a one off game but one swallow doesn't make a Summer - they may have played out of their skins, Denn may have been resting or missing players etc.. When was the last time they made the last eight or four at junior? I did ask this a couple of times but the query doesn't appear to have been answered. I don't see mention of any of their lads with county underage teams and they're struggling for numbers at underage as I've stated so I can't see what they'd have coming through to make a significant impact either.

I wouldn't see the promotion being semi finals and finals as unfair. Generally it allows the sides to have their county players back for the play offs. Also, you aren't going to make the top four unless you've won a significant amount of games, whereas, with relegation, a team can put in no effort like Denn currently are but win one game and retain their status. A few sides like Laragh did the same with championship in 2020 when there was no relegation. They had lads playing golf when games were on.

It's difficult to avoid I admit but I did already state in my opinion the county lads should train with the county during Tailteann Cup but play with their clubs on weekends they are available. It'd be better than any training session and they're no more likely to get injured than they would in a training match or county challenge. For example, what would have been the issue with them playing with their clubs on the weekend just gone?

I believe I did see argument before that successful counties like Tyrone used to allow their county players to play in club matches throughout the Ulster championship on free weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I would agree while they are showing good consistency at the moment they have a small enough senior panel and some of theses are late 30's and 40's so i don't thing they will be coming to far.

I wouldn't agree that they are continually improving they have improved this year for sure but have done nothing the last few years and it will be interesting to see how the championship goes for them. What i would agree with is the quality of Division is not great. Templeport are a bit ahead of the rest and if you took out Maghera, Corlough and maybe Swad the rest are all around the same level and capable of beating each other.

When did they last make the top 8 in junior though? Division 3 is not brimming with quality teams, I'd agree, but you also labelled them ''better than most sides in junior''. They're certainly not better than Arva, Drumlane or Knockbride. Mountnugent, Munterconnaught, Redhills, Kill, Drung, Killeshandra have all made the last eight in recent years, I don't believe Drumalee have and you've ignored the question on 3 occasions now so it appears they haven't.

I know you've continued to double down on it but Drumalee being top of Division 3 is an anomaly and they are certainly not a ''coming team'' by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

Contagion spreads. As teams start to discuss and see other sides not take a competition seriously, they start to lose interest themselves. If anything, the GAA is very copycat. Knockbride obviously aren't taking the League too seriously so are Division 3 teams looking at other junior sides like them and thinking, why would we peak now when they obviously aren't, we need to time our form for championship.

I would imagine there's more than 3 county players in the whole of Division 3 also. Maghera for example were even missing Ryan Tobin with the Cavan U20s. Mountnugent had Owen Gibson with them. A junior team will find it even harder to replace a stand out player because of their lack of quality.

I didn’t say Maghera would make a difference to Division 3. I was just pointing out another item that you were incorrect on - there are more than 3 county players in Division 3 who would have been unavailable to teams.

You haven’t “seen anything to suggest teams are approaching the league any differently to previous years” yet you yourself commented on Killeshandra’s low standing.

I think it’s also been proven that Drumalee are not a “coming team” and that their high position in Division 3 is surprising given nobody can remember the last time they even made the last 8 of the junior championship. Still, they’ve an exciting new prospect I hear this year, 40 year old Mickey Brennan, so he might win the junior championship for them. I see plenty of “coming” teams recruiting seasoned players!

Again, I’m sure there are other anomalies as there are in the other divisions. Other posters have also noted these before these comments started.

I don’t believe I’ve put it down to just those two reasons. I’ve suggested there are more anomalies in the League this year than other years and have given a variety of reasons why, including some clubs not taking the League as seriously - I’ve also stated this may spread to other clubs who don’t even have county players.

I don’t even know who the Killeshandra manager was to be honest so can’t comment on that. Were they only put in place this year that you feel their exit is solely down to League performance this season? I wouldn’t know much about Killeshandra as a club and, unlike others, I wouldn’t try to claim to know everything. It’s okay IMO sometimes to admit you got something wrong, or were incorrect, or to not always attempt to have the last word on every item discussed. Not all people follow that logic however.

You seem to be getting yourself in a bit of a tizzy here and are getting a lot of items wrong. Crosserlough didn’t finish in relegation last year. To educate you, the senior relegation play offs were Lacken vs Shercock and Castlerahan vs Killygarry. Shercock & Castlerahan relegated.

It wasn’t an anomaly. They tried their best and weren’t good enough to get through. They got an unbelievably difficult draw in their four matches and weren’t fully at the races due to some internal team issues. As Cavan found out last year, it’s also very difficult to match the hunger you had prior to a big championship win that has been a long time coming.

As you wish to discuss my club and their performance last year, it only seems fair that you confirm your own so that we can discuss their own standard? It’s a bit uncouth to attempt to bring my club into the discussion when you are unwilling to confirm your own I’d feel.

None of the county lads played for Crosserlough last weekend.

Caoimhin O’Reilly is definitely out. Arm/hand injury.

• Advertisement

You sure it's Caoimhin I heard it was the brother?

Caoimhin put up an Instagram today with his arm in a sling and two fingers wrapped. Definitely him I think.

Must be some site cross over as I didn’t type the first part and removed it when I noticed it.

Is someone going to do a thread search to see if Cavan_King mentions shopping in Lidl? That might be the smoking gun you're looking for Yevon! 😁

I'll wait to see at 2pm whether Paddy Lynch is fit, but it is testament to his progress that IF missing, that is a huge loss. If he's out, I would like to see Conor Madden come in, but he didn't even make the 26 against Donegal (no idea if that's form or injury). Big ask for either O'Neill or Reilly Jr to come in and lead the line.

€15 admission for this game at least kids are free.

It's giving a good day so hopefully there will be a decent enough crowd at it.

Hopefully Graham puts a strong team out, i'm not that excited about this competition but once were in it we may as well try and win it.

One to get the 2 Johnnies involved in the investigation.

I'm told Lynch is a dead leg only and is expected to play. Nothing too serious apparently but then the camp don't give out much info either.

Mackey was on The GAA Hour podcast this week and Darran O'Sullivan mentioned Munster final tickets being 45 euro. That's madness - and they wonder why attendances are falling?

All the right sounds are coming out that the team are taking it seriously. I'd hope to see a top class 1-12 and then perhaps give 2/3 fringe players a chance in other positions if possible. The names mentioned above to replace Paddy Lynch show we still have a lack of depth in replacements.

• Advertisement

€45 for a Munster final that couldn't be right!

Advertisement