Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

There are plenty of players who planned holidays around the games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Honestly i would just have a seeded all ireland open championship still have provincial finals . Probably kill the league but what happened to Waterford it might be half dead as it is seen as not worth is .What we have here and yes that’s the way it falls, having tipp and Waterford gone before the summer weather even kicks in is a farce . Can only be the money man that think it’s a good idea but anything is better then current arrangement imho .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

We lost 3 games out of 4 and were lucky to beat Tipp.

We are not playing well, key players like Barron, de Burca, Bennet are way off form, and we weren't right for what is a vicious round robin championship.

Tipp and Waterford don't deserve to be still involved. Cork bet both teams and are still alive for now.

I'm sick as anyone but this year is nearly worse than 19.

Btw I'd be in favour of open draw/champions League type format. A championship in which top teams don't meet is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

you could have 2 champs league style groups with top 3 in each group coming out, 1 goes to semi 2 and 3 in quarters. that would mean the provincial championship are gone though or else play them first and use as seeding for all ireland groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

My exact thoughts when I saw the sub goalie coming on, and it would be a very Clare thing to do. But what goes around comes around as they say. Reminded me of Ray Cummins hand passing the ball over the bar in the 82 Munster final when a goal was on- the ultimate insult but in that case i think his intentions were good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

Look fellas want to get rid of Munster round Robin because we weren't good enough.

Face it.the best teams qualified.

Austin,Curran,Shaun obrien,dessie Curran and possibly conor Gleeson only few to have good championships..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Looking back to glory days of the 90s knock out hurling here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford_county_hurling_team_records_and_statistics and losing at the Munster QF would get you knocked out in May. Losing a Munster semi final would get you knocked out in 1st or 2nd weekend of June.

Also with regards to players not having games now. Dublin have the solution in place with at least 6 years. A proper league competition with 12 teams and 11 games that go every second week alternating hurling and football from February to July. Championship in August then. Fixtures are released at the start of February and you can plan your life around it as a player and plan to peak as a coach/manager for championship in August. Inter-county players can then play the remaining league games when they get knocked out of intercounty or play none if they go all the way to the final.

As i mentioned last week; just because we're not good enough and don't have our house in order on and off the field; doesn't mean the format is broken. It's up to Waterford GAA to improve and get better at all facets. There's solutions in place in other counties; we need to adapt them to Waterfords needs and then make them better. I'm actually amazed Waterford are so competitive at times despite the inherent structural issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭OEP

It's also a time for people to go on holidays. You can't suddenly schedule games earlier because the county are knocked out if half the team have made plans already.

there was something written in the script when the split season was layed out for 1 alternative start date for teams who don't make it out of province. In Tipperary divisions are played and will prob begin early July now before county championship begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

If the likes of Dunford, Mahony, Foran, Harney and a few others are named in the panel next year then forget about it. Cody would horse lads out of the panel after 3 years if they haven’t broken into the starting 15 or if you were well past your sell by date. 

Whoever the scab is also in the panel leaking out information should also horsed out. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What about Shane O'Donnell on the clare panel.........burst onto scene in 2013 and practically did nothing for the next 8/9 years now he is their marquee forwards and all pundits and commentators raving about him...........? I'm sure there are other examples on the clare panel also, peter duggan took two years out 'pulling his plumb' in Oz etc comes back to panel and is now in the SoD category, Low-Han is now the tactical/motivational/man management wizard............the same was being applied to Liam Cahill a mere 6/7 weeks ago......😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That's harsh on SOD, he didn't push on in Davy's term but he was sensational in 2018 when they made the All Ireland semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Bit early to be taking yokes on a Tuesday and logging onto the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭shockframe

No one from Clare really emerged well from 2014-16.

They are a bit limited and if Tony Kelly was to miss a game from here on they would more than likely be exposed but Lohan will always command respect from almost everyone in Clare. Their workrate makes them a match for most teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

’making yokes’….????

can you use proper English as opposed to slang/chav ‘frases’

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭deise man

Is it correct that jim mcguinness attended a Waterford training session between the limerick and cork games. Was mentioned on the colm Parkinson podcast. Could be only a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

that anti vaxxer isnt worthy of your money or attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm not really a fan of the round robin..it just feels like overkill, in Munster anyway. You could have a munster back door type championship, have 2 qf's, then 2 losers playoff with 5th team, then munsters semis and final. The teams that dont make the munster final then go into the qualifiers. It would take the same time to run as the round robin but there would be a meaning to each game i.e you need to win to progress to next round. It may draw more consistent crowds aswell. Also teams may get an extra weeks break after winning their match. That clare game just felt like one game too many and even I'm drained.

• Advertisement

Being fair,that clare team massively under achieved i felt,compared to their underage pedigree

They seemed to be built/designed to unseat kilkenny hedgemony at the time with a massive panel......be great for em to pick up a munster medel however

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

So Cahill return or not return ? Would you like to see him come back or time to move on got as far with them as he can ? Personally I’d like to find out what the hell was going on behind the scenes in the Munster campaign before I could give a definitive answer to that . It’s very early days yet but the silence is deafening even regarding the dreaded rumours . Ideally you don’t want to be changing the manager by default every few years but maybe the collateral damage from all this might be too much . One thing we don’t want is a dragged out decision one way or another .

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Out out they said...out out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I'm not from Waterford and don't know what was going on, but I was amazed at the display last Sunday. That was a very depleted Clare team and they still won at their leisure. I presume there was a serious issue within the Waterford camp? It was a scandalous display, just how bad it was has been kind of overlooked in the media. It wasn't a case of Clare being particularly good, just Waterford were shocking. I felt sorry for the fans coming all the way to Ennis to watch that display.

O'Donnell has had a good intercounty career, generally been quite good for Clare. There's more interested in him now because he missed a year following a concussion. Duggan also was very good for a few years before going to Australia, he won an All Star in 2018. It is true that there's a lot of hot air about managers after a few good results though.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

'A very Clare thing to do'? Give a few other examples? In fairness, it's not often Clare are ever in a position like they were last Sunday so I've no idea what you mean.

jesus waterdord folk must hate Derek Mc Grath. everything that comes out of his mouth is pure drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5948ai

I'm sure it's something Waterford may use as motivation in the future. Tipp did it previously to us, didn't think Clare would go to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

If any county needs that to motivate themselves therein lies the problem.

• Advertisement

Didn’t Cody do it too against Waterford?

Advertisement