Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Once MS releases its xbox streaming stick Stadia is dead in the water, already its on the 3rd page of the google store and gets absolutely no advertisment at all. I tinkered with the idea of picking it up on the cheap but it would just be sitting around the house gathering dust.

Cloud gaming on both main consoles and the libraries they have and are moving onto cloud continually growing will just leave Stadia behind, especially when they allow you to play your library on cloud.

The fact it didnt get Elden Ring is biggest reason I think its on the way out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I will be a console owner for as long as they keep making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My best controller set up was a mouse in the right hand and a PS3 nunchuck in the left. All the aiming benefits of the mouse but the mobility of a analogue stick and easy to reach buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I used to love fps shooters but I'm so absolutely bored of any i played over the last 10 years. I've never made the connection that i used to love them on pc and not on console. It's gotten to the point that WHEN Half Life 3 is released, I'm not sure I'd get anywhere near the same enjoyment i got from previous ones. I put it down to a change in my tastes but maybe it's just controller that was the problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nah, it's not, modern shooters don't appeal to us anymore. Maybe we're not the target audience. Then again, I can't see how anyone could make a modern shooter interesting. Everything has been done, nothing will feel new or fresh so will feel stale after a while. Except maybe Titanfall 3. I think most people probably experienced their first online FPS games with Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Then there were about 10 years of excellent, similar games, all the time adding new ideas and better graphics. Then it peaked, and it's just been copied since. Then Warzone ruined everything. That's just the CoD side. Battlefield weren't as bad, but people still go back to 3 or 4. Most recent one is a disaster by all accounts. Should be good in a couple of years. The only thing keeping these games afloat is free game/stuff and younger people who weren't around for the heydays.

Same with most games I've found lately. They're just another version of something I've already played. I think it's why Dysmantle is so appealing. It's not doing anything new, but it's got a pull to it. Just like I used to spend hours blowing holes in walls in the first Red Faction, something new or fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should give some of the 'Boomer' shooters a go on PC. It's amazing how shooters with actual level design are so much more fun than modern offerings. Hell even going back to the recent re-release of Quake its so much more fun than any modern shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My pc gaming days are truly behind me but i used to play the **** out of shooters back in the day. A good example recently was the Metro games. I felt like i should be enjoying them but they did nothing for me. Saying that, i still haven't played Titanfall 2 which, going by the reviews on here, would let me know if I'm just not into the genre anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm getting older and slower so games that are fast I just can't handle. Give me a nice world of exploration that I can wander around.

Exactly. I can't handle fast paced games these days.

Though I've been playing Super Hot which is like an FPS for old people!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe the reason the 2016 and 2020 Doom games were so well received was because the developers said F this to cinematics and put full emphasis on fun gameplay above all else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much. They just made sure the actual combat loop was as engaging as possible.

Same with the boomer shooters like dusk and amid evil that focus on good combat and level design. It's infinitely more satisfying than walking down a corridor and hitting trigger points for cool stuff to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only multiplayer FPS I got in any way interested in over the last few years was Overwatch, mainly because there was no imbalance in terms of loadouts, weapon unlocks, perk unlocks etc. Aside from cosmetics, your version of all the characters is the same as everyone elses. It means you can switch characters without having underlevelled ones etc.

That said, I didn't play any competitive modes where people take it way the f*ck too seriously. I barely even played Quick Play. I mostly just stuck to the likes of Mystery Heroes where it's just about playing the game, you might win, you might get jipped by the RNG in terms of team composition, but it doesn't matter. No one takes it too seriously. No one really cares. Just enjoy the game.

Whereas I've long since found that with many shooters (particularly COD/BF), unless you're playing for hours each day right from the start, there's almost no point playing because there are far too many people who get way too deep into the games, and you die from a knife being thrown halfway across the map.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wracking my brains trying to think of the last FPS I might have played. New ones that is, not playing Half Life for the umpteenth time, or something genetically linked like Deus Ex. I'm coming up short - might actually be the first CoD Black Ops game (the one with the Tyler Durden twist?). While for multiplayer games you'd have to go back further again; Team Fortress 2, CoD4 and that's as modern as it gets.

Keep meaning to give the new Wolfenstein games a whirl as they look fun but I also know my old man (42) wrists and general decrease in ability would make it a bit of torture to play.

I'm so old I played a tonne of Battlefield 1942 - the original, and remember well the mantra of how "the patch will make it good". Before they fixed the netcode it was unplayable online. Fond memories.

The new Wolfenstein games are really good and well worth playing.

They are more like stealth games though. You can cause an insane amount of mayhem but usually you are trying to thin out the herd of Nazis as you are a bit of a glass Cannon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never heard them called Stealth games before. Though that does remind I'd do fairly unsavoury things if it got me a remaster of the Thief games.

They definitely are especially the second one. You kind of want to avoid more fire fights which seems weird considering the amount of firepower you are touring.

They gave the fans exactly what they wanted, which was a wise move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Progression systems in general have killed multiplayer games for me, FPS or otherwise. It feels like such a chore when you log in and feel you're on an XP treadmill immediately. I think it was a smart innovation when COD4 hit on it all those years ago, but it's really just killed my enthusiasm for so many games I might otherwise enjoy dipping into as it feels like you're constantly on the backfoot. The UI for the games is often designed so you can't ignore it easily - just a constant bombardment of progress bars.

Then with live service games like Apex Legends and Overwatch - which I both enjoyed a lot when they were released - it feels like it becomes a job trying to keep up with the new characters, updates etc... No matter how rock solid the core, they're hard to jump back into and get a feel for everything new.

Still enjoy a good solid FPS though, even if it feels like the genre has ever so slightly fallen out of favour among some developers. Half-Life Alyx is one of the greatest games ever made, mind you, and something like Titanfall 2 or indie games like Dusk or Devil Daggers or Lovely Planet show there's life in the genre yet.

Pedantic correction: battlefield 2 did it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Throughout my whole gaming 'career' I've always had a fondness for the FPS genre, going all the way back to copying shareware doom on floppy discs,

I'd argue that while there have always been low points - the rush to be controversial with the likes of Kingpin and Soldier of Fortune, the mass move towards sci-fi and 'boots on the walls' with the later Advanced warfare / Black ops games , there are also plenty of games that are still true to the soul of the FPS, and bring innovation.

I've found that following a solid 2 years of warzone, which truthfully, got me through the lockdowns and helped me make firm friends with a crew of regulars, I've drifted more towards more tactical, unforgiving games like Hunt Showdown, and Escape from tarkov, moreso because the stakes are higher, and planning will often times outweigh my declining reflexes.

I'll be there on Day 1 for MW2 though!

• Advertisement

I really don't get the love for MW2. Thought the campaign was massively disappointing and the move from 'look at the horrors of modern warfare' to '**** yeah america go bbbbuuurrrrrr' very jarring. Maybe the multiplayer was better but I never gave it more than a cursory glance.

Yeah I'm the same, I prefer tactical style fps where carefully planning and management of resources is the way to succeed, rather than being fastest with the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

TBH, i dont remember the campaign beyond 'no russian' and Ghost getting killed by Shephard. The multiplayer though ah, it was a time and a place for many to have the first proper social event of online gaming, xbox live was in its heyday, and open mics and trash talking were the order of the day, we didnt have the real responsibilities of adulthood and there was great laughs to be had every evening. TBH, the party chat systems that came in later killed a lot of the fun of early CoD.

I don't know, I love shredding uo the kids and showing them how it's done in COD. I'll take controller or M&KB I'm not fussy, I'll still rip them a new one 😀

I was surprised that COD Cold War was my most played game ever, across all xbox consoles. 😳 No coincidence it was the COD during lockdown I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm wondering what the hell Nintendo can do with BOTW2 to keep it fresh, given all the open world games out there. I think they can do it. But it can't be the same as the last game. That'd just be DLC.

Yes, picking up a weapon should cause it to break. Or even looking at it the wrong way. Or even thinking about it.

They have to put some dungeons in or something to provide a bit of variety. I really struggled to maintain interest in the game after the 20th korok seed.

There really is a dearth of game news at the moment.

Hopefully some exciting reveals in June.

I notice the guys on Digital Foundry have nothing to discuss these days.

• Advertisement

Johns been very busy with df retro.

There's plenty of excellent games getting released just not big budget titles. Some pretty great switch games and indie games. I just discovered Drainus yesterday which I be high up my best of 2022 list.

Advertisement