Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving meter

Options
  • 25-05-2022 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Lads just wondering on getting a meter moved during building works. The current meter is in a terrible spot effectively between floors on the stairs, when they came out to fit the smart meter there was no way of killing the power as it’s hard wired from the pole outside with no switch or fuse before the meter. We are looking at hitting the house and the stairs will be moved so the meter will need to be moved early in the job but obviously it would be better for the builder to have it moved and also be able to take a temp supply off it. I know that sort of thing was tightened up on so not sure if there’s a way round it. Anyone done similar recently? It’s in an old estate in Dublin if it’s relevant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Did the ESB say there's no way to disconnect it at the pole if you need to move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I had this done last Summer.

During some work I needed to disconnect the meter as we were knocking the wall it was located on. ESB Networks came out removed the the overhead cabling back to the poll and took the meter away. The electricians had to certify that the house was wired safely etc. up to the new meter location, they issued their cert to ESB Networks and after a few weeks they came out, installed the new meter in the correct place and reconnected it all. This will leave you without power of course. I did this over the course of a few months, took them about 6 weeks to get them out to remove it in the first place and the same again to reconnect it after the bill was paid and cert was issued.

I'm not sure if they'll simply move it from one place to another in the same day if you need to keep power going to the site but if you have all the certs in place, I can't see it being a problem.

Contact ESB Networks and talk them through it, tell them you're looking for an alteration of works and give them the MRPN number so they know who/where you are. It was €415 at the time I got it done. You may need to book the job in through your supplier but speak to ESB Networks first so you know the different steps and wait times as they're really busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No haven’t made any contact yet, it’s not imminent just planning. The guy who came out to change to a smart meter just said the ESB would need to come out to do it. My issue on moving it is it won’t be certed for probably 4 months after it’s removed initially and ideally we’d have power in the intervening time for the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I think they often subcontract out the smart meter stuff.

Talk to your electrician about getting it moved to a different location for a temp supply from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Getting it moved to a different place should be fine, worst case the electrician will just need to certify the few sockets it's feeding temporarily. Then you'll need to get it re-certified once the wring is done properly. This will be more expensive of course, I'd imagine you'll get charged the alteration work twice but you might find somebody sound and waive some of the fees.

This will be a really common thing though so don't let it cause you stress, call them in the morning and you'll know exactly what it'll cost and what's involved.

1800372757 - just happens to be the last number I dialled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Get your electrician to test the house and send in a interim cert , once all other electrical works are done the electrician will then issue a cert for the whole installation, only way to do it ,

all depends on electrical in the existing house

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers, the existing is pretty old but if we do the works it will be a full new wire. All we’ll be leaving are 4 walls and a roof. At the stage the meter is being moved the house will be getting gutted, the meter will actually be going where the front door currently is.

Advertisement