Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,665 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apparently, they only started seriously filming for part two in Feb/March! That's after spending seemingly a whole year on principal photography on part one (longer if you count the COVID disruptions and hiatuses) and the initial suggestion that they'd be shot back-to-back.

The budget for the two combined must be eye-watering (closing on $300m for part one alone). But then if ever the money was on-screen during a blockbuster series, it's definitely the MI films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭santana75

He's an absolute madman......fair play to him though. When you watch a Tom Cruise film at the very least you're guaranteed there'll be no clumsy stuntman edits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Read that article a while ago, it's very good.

I'd have been happy enough for it to stop at the 'pick a side' line, as everything plus the kitchen sink seems to be shown here. Still, good trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I saw the thumbnail and I thought it makes Tom Cruise look like he's pushing on in years (and yeah I know he actually is) but by the end of the trailer I wanted to see this film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Love the MI series, all of them have been cracking movies imo, apart from the much maligned 2nd one. That was terrible, but all others have been great.

I think the 3rd one is still my favourite. The late Philip Seymour Hoffman put in a superb villain performance in that outing and the supporting cast (I think it was Simon Pegg’s first appearance in the series) were all very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭MfMan

Oh good, Henry Czerny is in it, might go along to see it so. Simon Pegg looks well rattled from the trailer - wonder was he on the sauce during it's making?

Every Tom Cruise movie is contractually obliged to see him running headlong someplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Second film was awful. The last fight scene is fairly cringe. Especially the part when he kicked up the gun from the sand and get the perfect shot off whilst the bad guy just looked at him.

I also enjoyed the third one the best. The rabbits foot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching Mission Impossible 3 with the weight of his subsequent career in the back of my head, we were forewarned early on about JJ Abrams love and obsession for the Mystery Box trope. It was right there from the start

Yeah that 2nd film is so so bad. I’ve seen it on TV a couple of times since and it’s aged so badly too. The slow-mo action sequences look incredibly cheesy now and Cruise seems to spend half the movie posing with a silly haircut.

Thankfully order was restored in MI-3. That’s definitely one of my favourite action movies of the last 10-15 years, elevated by a great supporting cast. I felt Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of the most memorable villains since Hans Gruber. That opening 3 minutes….

That is how to do a trailer for an action movie whatever about cruise being a bit of a nut job in scientology the man knows how to do action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks great, minimal CGI, the way it should be.

I still like No 2 , its a bit over the top but enjoyable.

Tom looks good with the long hair and the Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is probably the best of the franchise.

Injection is a brilliant composition.

Mission Accomplished is nice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For me the issue with MI2 was it just wasn't a good story by Ronald D Moore and Brandon Braga or screenplay by Robert Towne

It had great action and set peices a stellar cast and John Woo did a good job with all of that but was left with a terrible script to work from.

And as above the soundtrack is class.

It set up the franchise and how it would grow and the direction it would go with those set peices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The script for 2 was bad, yeah. But (Dare I say it) I just don't think 90's Hong Kong gun action suited a western movie. There are certain aesthetics/tropes that are used in Asian action movies of the area that perfectly suit their region but do not travel well.

The CRAZY OTT gun play, the flashback sequences (Often to something that JUST happened), the extensive Slo-Mo.

Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of old-school John Woo and late 80's/90's/early 2000's Hong Kong cinema (I remember having to travel 30 miles to Cork to see Infernal Affairs in a small screen of a small cinema but still delighted- INFINITELY superior to it's remake, The Departed).

So I love all those tropes. And accept them as a stylistic choice. But they just look a bit silly in a western movie. (Or maybe it's just that they looked a bit silly in MI:2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭MfMan

Oh come on, we all know M.I:2 was dreadful mainly because the useless Dougray Scott was the villain in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

But surely we have to thank MI2 (and Tom Cruise) also then, as they spared us Scott as Wolverine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mission Impossible 2 was just across the board bad; never learnt what John Woo himself thought of his work there, but can't imagine he thinks it his best. Though his American films have been generally not-great.

Now, across the overall series the first sequel stands better among the varying approaches of the 6 films, but at the time it must have been especially jarring to fans of the original's suped-up spin on the TV show. The paranoid euro-espionage tone swapped for the more muscular, douchie swagger of number 2. Watching it again, it's a very early-2000s film in all sorts of ways.

I wonder why Maggie Q & Jonathan Rhys Meyers were never brought back after MI3.

Meyers personal issues probably played a part with him however Maggie Q was made for this series.

I thought they were both pretty good in that instalment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The M:I franchise doesn't have a habit of bringing back female characters, Rebecca Ferguson is the big exception. I feel Michelle Monaghan was only brought back to tie up that loose end seeing as there was potential romance with Ferguson's character. That said it looks like Vanessa Kirby is back here and who knows if Atwell will be in both.

• Advertisement

Cruise and Ving Rhames are the only 2 characters to appear in all of them. Interesting that Henry Czerny is back for the new one too, a throwback to the very first movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's by far the weakest of the series though 2 is pretty daft for the most part and Dougray Scott is insufferable in everything

You think MI:3 is the weakest? As I mentioned, its my favourite of the whole lot, its the one I'd re-watch if it turned up on TV! Curious why you think its the weakest? I really hated the 2nd one... for the reasons already mentioned... and I thought #3 was a great revival of the series.

I wonder will we get a bit of parkour from Cruise in either of these instead of his usual running scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Philip Seymour Hoffman can't even save 3

Ghost protocol is the best for me but I've loved all of them since 2011

I think Ghost Protocol is the best too.

The 5th one was also very good, the last one I thought had too much action and not enough plot.

Ghost Protocol  was the one that set up the on going storyline that has continued throught 5 & 6 and looks to be going on into 7 & 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I never understood the hatred for Mission Impossible 2.

Its better than the first film and has the best soundtrack of all the IM films released so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The Limp Bizkiet MI 2 theme is so good I wish they had used it in the MI sequels.

• Advertisement

Limp Bizkit?

🤭

Advertisement