Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Had two Teslas, zero servicing costs. Nissan Leaf 30, €77/service from main Nissan Dealer.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does anyone know if there's any good transport emissions calculators? Ones that accept different modes of transport and give reliable answers

I'm in a slightly annoying dilemma at the moment, basically at some point in the summer I would like to travel with the great city of Eindhoven with my family and return a week later. We don't need a car there, so the options are as follows:

1. Fly direct to Eindhoven, get bus/taxi to destination
    2. Fly to Amsterdam, get train to Eindhoven (more options for flights)
    3. Get ferry to UK, drive to Eindhoven and back

So the environmental choice would be to not fly and get the ferry, right? I'll be in Greta's good books then

Except the ferry costs about €200 more than options 1 or 2. Now I get that I'm bringing a car in option 3, which wouldn't fit in Ryanair's carry on, but I only need the car to travel to and from the destination, and that's only because it's cheaper and easier than British rail

That's not counting the extra time and expense of staying overnight on the way there and back. I don't count that as an expense since I'd be expanding the holiday and doing more stuff like seeing London as well. So in the interests of keeping things fair I'm only comparing the transport costs

Funnily enough, I actually have no concerns about charging en route, I've plenty of range and would be doing at most a single charging stop per day

I just find it really annoying that to travel remotely environmentally friendly incurs a massive cost increase, so I'll probably go with flying instead. Greta won't be happy with me 😂

Hence my ask for an emissions calculator, I'm trying to mitigate my guilt somewhat in the process

PS - Sorry for the OT rant 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Have you considered that out of all those options, the plane, train and ferry will all be running to a schedule regardless whether you fly/ride ride on them or not. Sure riding on them will probably result in a slight increase in CO2 emissions generated, but Im guessing it is very small in contrast to the total output that will be generated regardless.

The only one you can control is the car ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

True, but planes need to have an occupancy rate in order to be cost effective. If the %age of PAX is too low, carriers reduce the numbers of flights.

OP, if you drink wine you should stock the car on the way back in Northern France. We save around €200 a year doing that. Or end up drinking more wine...

Ha, fair point, but it's a bit like green energy providers, it'll mean I get to live guilt free 😁

I just think it's slightly ridiculous that we're encouraged to use avoid flying and use public transport, but those options are totally uneconomical when you look into them

The biggest annoyance is that I'd actually quite like to do the driving journey, but I think it'll be quite stressful with the kids (5 and 2 years old) and is probably too much for everyone at this stage

• Advertisement

I already have a big enough backlog of booze to get through 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

The only way is to sail there, as did Greta to attend a climate summit in USA..😁

(I can offer my services for a suitable fee, but cannot guarantee an arrival time.....😊)

I think you have your work cut out for your either way whether its by car or by air. I like the the driving option as I think it could work well. You could plan plenty of stops around Supercharging. Not so easy when your in a tin can in the sky with a baby that cant equalise! But you get it over and done with once each way. Good luck with what ever way you choose!

True enough, it's not easy going on holiday 😂

I think my wife would prefer the flying option and generally keeping her stress levels down means that my stress levels also stay down

Plus the kids keep asking me to go on an airplane (we line beside Dublin airport, so get to watch everyone else going on holidays 😭)

Ah well, there's always next time for the road trip 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I can only imagine the carbon footprint of building that monstrosity.. And the diesel generator when the sun isn't shining.. Would probably make aviation look green in comparison. 😁

True, boats should have sails, literally free transportation

Although, if you're only doing 4 knots because of lack of sunshine, it doesn't really matter as long as the bar is fully stocked 🍺🍹

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Electric cars have many advantages over internal combustion engine cars in the mountains, as they do not suffer a penalty related to the thin air. We already saw how much it helps EVs in mountain races like Pikes Peak, where ICE vehicles are losing power towards the top.”

How much power does an ICE car lose and at what altitude? Not that it matters here…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They do have sails....

And they've worked fine for thousands of years..

These days the top single handed lads will do the 45,000km round the world race in in or around 75 days. The first solo non stop voyage in 1968/9 took 312 days.

We haven't even scratched the surface in terms of the potential to harness wind power.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@AndyBoBandy - "We haven't even scratched the surface in terms of the potential to harness wind power."

It looks like mainstream politicians, not just the greens, are finally seeing the light. The taoiseach said yesterday that

"Wind is Ireland’s oil"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wind-is-irelands-oil-says-martin-as-eu-moves-away-from-russian-energy-41689773.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

A brief google finds a "rule of the thumb" of 3% for each 1000 feet or translated in metric units 1% for each 100m of altitude. As you said not very important here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When we are performance testing power generating gas turbines after we've done maintenance work or upgrades to them, we always try and do it during the coldest part of the day (usually morning), as the air is denser and and therefore we can get more molecules into the compressor inlet meaning a better & more efficient combustion in the turbine section..

Then as the air is sucked through the compressor (which is about 2-3m long), it heats up rapidly from ambient temperature to about 600 degree's C in a few hundredths of a second before it's mixed with gas or fuel oil and then combusted!!! Mad stuff altogether!!

I meant the Silent yachts specifically (no I'm not counting the kite, only works when the wind is behind you 😁)

But yes, I think wind power is definitely making its way back into sea transportation. There's designs for kites and sails to be put on container ships, and with the bans on high sulphur fuels and the increased in gas prices, I can see those designs becoming reality soon

Well, he's not wrong, but politicians say a lot of things, still waiting on some action

I had an idea recently that minister's salaries should be determined by how much of the program for government actually gets done. As well as having good KPIs in their relevant departments.

I imagine there'd be a lot fewer speeches and far more things done if that were the case 😂

But, like I said, he isn't wrong. There's orders of magnitude more potential wind power available to Ireland than what we'll ever use. Plenty of scope there for exporting power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I did a very similar calculation a while ago, except the destination was Bordeaux.

I fired up the spreadsheet again, and adapted for your case...(I should say, I bear no responsibility for the accuracy of these numbers!)

Assumptions

-4 passengers

-All EV Charging at an energy mix comparable to UKs

-the following input values:

Using the numbers, and assuming you're going Dublin -> Holyhead -> Dover -> Calais -> Eindhoven on the landbridge, versus flying the great circle distance Dublin to Eindhoven yields the following:

That's total CO2, one way. So doesn't account for any other emissions etc. So the question is what is ~450 kg CO2 worth to you and your family?

edit: I should say the Amsterdam option will almost certainly be the worst for the environment. Similar flight length to Eindhoven but definitely more taxiing by the plane on the ground and then whatever emissions you create by getting the train. So it will be just 515Kg plus plus.

Post edited by crisco10 on

• Advertisement

Interesting stuff, @crisco10. Would you mind doing the complete calculation of the one way journey adding up to 72kg and where did you get the 515kg for the plane journey?

No problem, not that complicated...

For Airline it was: # of passengers x distance x CO2 intensity per km per person i.e. 4 x 820x 157 = 514,960 gCO2 = 514.96kg

For Boat/EV it was similar methodology:

EV part: Electricity Intensity x (Consumption/100) x driving distance = 233 x (18/100) x 893 = 37,452gCO2 = 37.4KG

Boat Part: gCO2 per km x distance -> (130 + (3*18.5)) x 190 = 35,150 gCO2 = 35kg

Emission factors for ferries have 2 values, 1 is for Car + Driver (130) and another (18.5) for Foot Passengers. Thus I modelled the family of 4 as 1 car + driver and 3 foot passengers.

Add the EV and Boat = 72.4kg (the small difference is just rounding!)

I did a lot of work with emission factors back in college, and they are littered with error and inaccuracy. However, as a a first order analysis they are recognised as being very functional.

Aircraft engineers have similar practices in warmer climates with their jet engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Impressive maths and the ferries sure are a bit more efficient than I thought. They do have lots of dead weight per passenger. Does that carbon intensity calculation consider the much greater freight capacity per passenger compared to a plane, do you know? The passengers are almost an afterthought for many operators and the freight is what keeps the ferries going and that's even a greater incentive to traveling by a ferry/EV combo.

Here's the methodology, relevant bits around section 7.4:

To answer your question, the answer is yes. Freight is included in that calculation, and the CO2 portioned out per tonne of freight and per passenger/car.

"From the information provided by the operators, figures for passenger-km, tonnekm and CO2 emissions were calculated. CO2 emissions from ferry fuels were allocated between passengers and freight based on tonnages transported, taking into account freight, vehicles and passengers."

But, if our friend gets a solely passenger boat, the emission factor is no longer valid since the number used assumes efficiencies due to a mixed use boat.

@crisco10 - thanks for sharing that. Quite shocking that flying would generate roughly 5 times as much emissions as driving your car on your own for a trip like that.

To use those base rates to compare a transatlantic trip from Dublin to New York (about 5k km) for a single passenger without car would be even more stark. Boat: 5000 * 18.5 = 93kg, plane 5000 * 157 = 785kg. Greta had a point there. Although that's just CO2, not so sure if the figures are as stark if you compare other emissions that boats are not good at

And to put things into perspective, a quick google shows that 1kW of solar PV panels installed, offsets 1400kg of CO2. This means with my 10kW of PV, I would fully offset a return flight for my family of 5 to California every 10 months or to Australia every 18 months

@crisco10 That's an awesome calculation. Although I was hoping to feel less guilty about flying not more 😂

I'm quite shocked tbh by the difference, I thought it would be closer given the dirtier fuels often used by shipping, but I guess sheer quantity of fuel used by a jet for a relatively low number of passengers really makes the difference

Maybe I'll put my green cap on and look at the land bridge option again. I'll use the promise of Legoland to get the kids on board 😁

It'd be nice if the Dunkirk route was opened to passengers, that would put me a lot closer without all the driving. Although 24 hours on a ferry might be as stressful

As @unkel said though, it's only CO2. If you were to assess it based on Particulate Matter (which I assume is where ferries and other Heavy Fuel oil burners are terrible), the equation is different.

It's also driven to a degree by the EV being used and not ICE. If it was ICE car with emissions of about 180 gCO2/km, the landbridge CO2 triples to about 210Kg of CO2 one way.

This means with my 10kW of PV, I would fully offset a return flight for my family of 5 to California every 10 months or to Australia every 18 months

You wouldnt actually be offsetting anything unless you are part of a validated carbon trading scheme would you? (not 100% certain myself). But I would hasten to add that simply having a PV installation means you have made a significant capital investment at your own cost in order to measurably reduce your CO2 emisssions which is to be commended.

Thanks however to all above - I find this discussion really informative.

• Advertisement

I'm not officially trading my carbon credits, no. Maybe I should. It made Tesla billions from other companies having to give them free money for their sins of producing polluting internal combustion engine vehicles and they were unable to make anything else 😂

But on a serious note, I would be happy to strive for carbon neutrality in my home / family. Not sure where I am at that.

Advertisement