Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Dublin been completely over run with on street brothels?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

What am I, black!!??

lol

Dublin inner city council members:

Jebus.

Boorish.

I'm not seeing a lot of class going on there.

Step it up kids!

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating a bunch of tax paying businesses get closed en-masse, by no means.

I'm just saying, they either start to conform to a classier, less trashy standard (masseuses in massage parlors should be able to give a massage, and not be exclusively hores masquerading behind a respected discipline that provides a valued service), or....... if these places continue to insist on the latter circumstance, maybe DCC could take a page out of our Dutch friends playbook.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Can someone shut this **** down please.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is a real shitshow, isnt it? the OP thinks that DCC control what happens inside businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ah no , don't shut it down, OPS good entertainment.

I think they're responsible for the integrity of the locality over which they preside.

• Advertisement

Aren't you the same contributor who was compulsively posting scenes from RoboCop in the AH thread?

I was under the impression you were all for modernization of historical precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The thread starter asked for examples of violent scenes with comic overtone and RoboCop is full of them. Nothing compulsive in sharing them.

If we could get a real RoboCop to clean the filth off our streets in Dublin I would be all in favour of it.

But I don’t see this thread helping to make that happen.

they are not responsible for what happens inside a business premises.

They're members of political parties, therefore they influence policy.

Policy dictates at what level a business must operate.

If a Vietnamese take-out was serving food causing people to get the diarrhea, they'd get inspected, and their licence would eventually be revoked.

As I understand it these parlors are not licensed brothels therefore there are no basic standards to which they must abide.

There is a council of designated members who are tasked with maintaining the integrity of their denominated area.

And as per OP, they're exhibiting incompetence when it comes to this issue (allowing criminals to run an ever increasing number of public premises and the fuckery that goes along with it).

You really do not have a clue how anything works.

• Advertisement

Once again, no official government affiliates more closely responsible for well being of a locality than the councilors who preside over it.

If you're going to go into some ramble about how new laws/policies are passed, please do it concisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't judge. I used to but not anymore.

I just hope all is safe and ok in them.

**sniff sniff**

**sniff sniff**

Smells like passivism.

Probably brought on by a good dose of defeatism.

I think you might be better suited to After Hours than Current Affairs.

Unfortunately the same could be said for at least one or more of our favorite cabinet members.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why do you want to defeat prostitution? It's not defeatism its education.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,012 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dublin Culture.

Amsterdam Culture:

See, I can do that too.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, stop hanging around the dodgy parts of Dublin and you won't be seeing the crap that you're giving out about.

Culture encapsulates the governing mentality and resultant ethos, which in Dublin is trash.

Sorry but Amsterdam is fun, class, integrity, positivity. I'm not saying it's 100% perfect, but it's 100% better than the "Dub life" we're shouldered with.

There is really no comparison.

If nothing else, the very fact that organized crime is allowed to flourish in broad daylight?

Again, unlike Amsterdam, there is NO way these places are state inspected nor supervised.

Does this not cause councilors and TD's to so much as bat an eyelid?

It's disconcerting, if nothing else.

Look at Capel St.

Dublin CoCo are on a social media bender at the moment over its pedestrianization and proposals for improvements in its appearance.

Walk the length of this new found capital city glory and notice how many classless rub and tug joints litter the pavement.

If they're not being run by some classless, extortionist, social welfare scammers taking advantage of a weak system, I'd eat a sneaker.

If you lie down for organized crime, ignore lack of adequate state policy, associated policing and mandatory standards of practice, then it's defeatism.

I don't want to defeat prostitution. First and foremost I made this thread to highlight that, one or two stragglers aside, it's nigh on impossible to get an actual massage in almost any Dublin massage parlor.

Maybe it's just me but I find there to be a peculiar irony there.

What I'd like to see defeated is the sleaze, exploitation, criminality and lack of state competency, all of which basically act as enablers for the infestation of creeped out, hole in the wall dumps around Dublin, further denigrating its image, where they in actual fact have the potential to act as such powerful counter measures to the long standing scum ethos our capital is afflicted with.

Sorry but Amsterdam is fun, class, integrity, positivity.

Absolute horseshite. Amsterdam has had problems with violent crime, muggings, heavy drug addiction, human trafficking, organised crime, etc. Far beyond what Dublin has experienced, and far more common too.

I really do wonder how much time you've spent in Amsterdam, and where, because that city is extremely dodgy once you step beyond the more upmarket tourist areas.

Don't get me wrong.. I think large sections of Dublin is a particularly ugly city, with a general decline in safety and appeal.. but Amsterdam isn't some kind of shining light of urban success.

See how you quoted a part of the box with a shaded indentation?

How did you do that?

It's not the [quote].......[/quote]

• Advertisement

And yes of course, you're correct. It has its issues.

But I was completely captivated by the smoothness of its cultural diversity.

It's engineering.

And it's electricity.

It's not the perfect city, but to someone with my interests, it's like what a place like Florence is to an art enthusiast.

To understand these dynamics, how its produced such effective results in these areas, areas that other major cities so desperately struggle with, understand their potential emulation and replication is to me, a matter worth considering.

Just for the record I'm strictly into women but, I think in terms of cultural flow and evolution, "ontwikkelen", a video compiled by the Amsterdam city council re ghey pride day (actually they spend about a week and a half celebrating it);

It conveys what I'm saying, expansionism.

The actual city council has taken control, instated policies such to alleviate naturally occurring inter-cultural oppression, oppression that almost comes about by default in societies that are poorly regulated (without adequate cultural measures, humans are dicks to each other, go figure).

Irish and our history, about as oppressive as can be.

And the chav/trash do-nothing "bad boys" that sponge social-welfare and behave like some kind of human-waste-product reign supreme, are even glorified in the "Dub Life" sphere.

It makes me want to vomit.

Copy the selected text, paste it, highlight it, then click on the symbol directly to the left of each sentence start, select the third option in. It's not as good as the old way to do multi-quotes but it works kinda well.

But I was completely captivated by the smoothness of its cultural diversity.

Without appreciating the cultural friction that occurs because of such a diverse population, including the resentment of local/native people due to crime and wealth inequalities that arise from such ventures into multiculturalism. It's a failed experiment, and every nation that has engaged in it, is regretting it now. When you dig a little under the surface with Holland, you see the diverse population (apart from Europeans and Asians) typically being on the bottom of the socio-economic hierarchy.. and that hierarchy (along with wealth) remains rather important in that society. Ethnic groups remaining on the bottom feeds into resentment by those ethnic groups for their position, which results in crime/violence.

You seem to be looking at the central areas of Amsterdam and thinking that it's representative of the rest of the city.. it's definitely not. Then again, if you want to see the real Holland you should spend time in Eindhoven instead.. same dodgy activities available but without the heavy emphasis on scams and crime. A much better model to consider for such an environment.

And yes of course, you're correct. It has its issues.

The point was that you were holding it up as a gold standard compared to Dublin... Amsterdam has most of the problems that Dublin has, except multiplied considerably.

To understand these dynamics, how its produced such effective results in these areas, areas that other major cities so desperately struggle with, understand their potential emulation and replication is to me, a matter worth considering.

I honestly have no idea what it is you're lauding Amsterdam for.. engineering and electricity? huh? My trips focused on the sex, drugs, and house scene initially, and later the very active literature circuit there.. It's a pretty city, but apart from the land reclamation projects, I don't really remember seeing anything particularly impressive about the city from an engineering perspective.

The actual city council has taken control, instated policies such to alleviate naturally occurring inter-cultural oppression, oppression that almost comes about by default in societies that are poorly regulated (without adequate cultural measures, humans are dicks to each other, go figure).

Social change needs to be prodded, not controlled in such a manner. I'm bisexual, and have been to pride events there. Yes, they've done well, but they've also sought to push homosexuality and diversity down people's throats, which tends to encourage bitterness/resentment from people who would naturally have changed their perspectives as mainstream society/culture became more accepting. Amsterdam has always been something of a special case because of the freedom of sexual expression meant that homosexuality is often presented in a much more aggressive manner than what we see in Ireland.

It's no different in Ireland... homosexuality is mostly accepted by Irish people (with a few morons resisting) but the government is still implementing more policies to enforce acceptance/compliance, and I've seen the reactions by people to such measures, which can result in people who were previously neutral becoming against the gay activist movement (rather than homosexuality itself). There comes a time when further initiatives do more harm than good...

And the chav/trash do-nothing "bad boys" that sponge social-welfare and behave like some kind of human-waste-product reign supreme, are even glorified in the "Dub Life" sphere.

As were the Chavs and other similar groups for a decade or so. Society, and culture evolves/changes rapidly over time. The trash scene will go the same way as many similar fashions and decline in popularity. It'll always remain to some extent though.. as can be seen in other countries. You can see similar groups in France and Germany too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes exemplified in the least Irish city in the republic.

What is your definition of the "Irishness" of a city?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,012 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're really not comparing like for like.

You're basically going into the worst parts of Dublin, considering that 'Dublin Culture' and then going to the fanciest parts of Amsterdam and going 'wow, this is miles better than Sherriff Street'.

Capel street has historically always been a bit of a dive. It's starting to turnaround now, shop by shop, but it has a long way to go.

I take it you're Irish yourself? Your posts on this thread wreak of that unfortunately all too common Irish inferiority complex we see on here, where every other country is brilliant and Ireland is apparently shite.

They wreak of that?

Really?

Ireland ranks in the top 5 percentile on the global quality of life metric.

Truly exceptional in that sense.

Irish culture on the other hand, sucks. Yes it does. That's what I'm condemning.

TBH I'm not a fan of most cultures, even pure Dutch culture itself but a lot of native Dutchies hate the diversity of Amsterdam.

Nationalism in general has no appeal to me.

The outstanding point in my mind is quite simply that the greatest cultural rift is not protestants V catholics, unionists V nationalists, KKK members V African Americans;

But in fact, men V women.

There is no greater cultural divide, and no one which is of more benefit to address, when it comes to personal and societal benefit.

I guess to me what I was saying was, it's not any one specific conventional culture that has particular outstanding merit, but an environment which facilitates more adept and insightfully - - what..... ?

Liaison, relatability, shared environments, common values, between that great rift of men V women.

Does the Irish culture do this, now or historically?

hahaha

Fuck no.

i.e. it doesn't exhibit the core value and most genuine denominator of true and ultimate cultural advancement.

And I hate to say it, but it shows, no where more emphatically than the streets of our capital.

🤣🤣🤣

Not resurrecting this but Jebus, case in point over the weekend.

Last couple weeks I've been hitting this new exercise called the inverted-hungarian-low-hanging-anterior-squat.

So needless to say my quadratus-lumborum was feeling it and I thought, in spite of my cynicism, I'll try that new place that opened up in Dublin 1, Chi or Tai or Zen or something, getting rave reviews and to be fair, it looks like a professional outfit from the outside.

A woman answered the door in......... get this........

A bikini.

lol

I bullshit you not.

I mean don't get me wrong, if I was into that scene I'd probably think I'd just struck gold.

But alas, I'm a little too much of a, how you say, "stick in the mud"?

When I made the mistake of inquiring about the possibility of an actual massage, I was met with a reply not entirely dissimilar to, "money bitch, and it's triple figures!!".

** sigh **

Now I'm popping solpadeine like skittles, all because out of 10's of "massage parlors" in a countries capital city, it's nigh on impossible to get a decent treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Advertisement