Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So if I'm your neighbors, and our kids are being shot at, and killed, and the thing standing between reforms and you and the children was me saying "no, I don't want nanny state laws, let god sort it out etc" you'd think when, exactly, is too soon to confront me after your kids death?

There are too many guns in the United States, and too many who support buying more guns whenever they see fit.

The problem is insoluble.

Jesus, what a bizarre and ridiculous analogy.

Absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I'll leave you to it.

It is, even if you don't get it, that's fine.

I'm trying to suss out how many school shootings we have to go through, how many cycles it has to be politicized over before it's no longer 'uncouth' to get right back to addressing the issue: obstructionism in gun legislation, esp. by one party and brand in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And they are actually a minority , but they have all the power because of the fear , if they aren't appeased they could rise up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

When I posted what I did, it was as the news was still emerging.

There was only 14 children reported dead when you posted that brain fart.

Horrific tragedy.

Let's politicise it.

Do you think people reading and questioning your posts are stupid when you come back to defend them and play the victim?

There absolutely is a debate to be had. One I don't really have an answer for, or any realistic solutions. I simply thought that as the news was breaking and while emotions were understandably high, it wasn't the time.

What?

The news was still emerging. That's my point!

How am I playing the victim? I am just stating my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I actually prefer when certain people don't. It usually confirms that I am correct.

And no I don't think ALL the people questioning me are stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Guess what sports fans . There are plenty of democrats who own guns too.

There are those who seem to think it's a total black and white situation going by some of the recent posts.

There are 400 million guns in the United States, serving a population of 330 million people.

Even if legislation were introduced to limit access to certain weapons, the sheer volume of weaponry already extant in the country means that psychopathic, unhinged young adults can acquire these weapons easily. If one avenue is closed, they will find another avenue by virtue of the the sheer accessibility of these weapons already in US society.

Hence why I referred to the problem as insoluble. It's not like Dunblane; this has gone past the point of no return.

• Advertisement

Your very first post on the topic knowing 14 children had been shot dead was to bring politics into it. Be careful before you get the tag of pound shop Tucker Carlson on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

A concentrated volley of gunfire.

I assume you’ve never used a handgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In which case the political posing must be a result of its popularity and not the other way around? Would you not agree that it is used in a symbolic way? Trump jr. seems to love showing off his custom AR, theres a "black rifle" brand of coffee. The Hyundai Tucson might be popular, but it doesnt end up on Fianna Fail posters, it doesnt have any symbolic value. I could show the silhouette of an American long rifle to an older American and they might be able to recognise it and the historical context but they can all recognise that AR shape. I get that you can do a lot with an AR lower, but is it really that dominant? I suppose even the Vietnam vets are pretty long in the tooth now, so the whole "plastic and aluminium doesn't do it for me" angle isn't much off a thing anymore.

You could buy an M1 through the civilian marksmanship program, surely this was never the case with the M-16?

I've been called worse.

And my first post was in response to others politicising the breaking news that multiple children had been shot.

I didn't actually suggest we shout politicise the tragedy. I was being sarcastic, as you would/should know from the context of my subsequent posts, I was suggesting that making this about politics in the IMMEDIATE aftermath was not the right thing to do.

Let's leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There's not really a debate to be had.

America for the most part doesnt care when poor minority kids are butchered.

They dont care about this.

It will happen again. Soon.

There was more of an uproar when a convicted violent criminal in George Floyd was killed. And these were yoing children.

An absoulte hellish kip of a country where only the mega rich thrive.

No thanks. You can keep it.

Yep but their voting record on gun control speaks differently to the Republicans as does the NRAs financial statements regarding political donations and of course political endorsements.

While there are arseholes in the Democrats, being one is certainly looking to be a mandatory requirement for the Republican membership as well as their supporters, but some of them are just as thick as pig sh1t too which isn't a great combination.

And my first post was in response to others politicising the breaking news that multiple children had been shot.

Which posters? You didn't appear to reply to any particular post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Americans care. Make no mistake on that but as with so many things over there it’s so politicised that nothing will happen people will be outraged but when push comes to shove there will be too much of a feeling that any type of restrictions are the thin end of a wedge.

too many people will be able to pass this off as the price of freedom in their heads but won’t voice it as such.

I think if you read the previous posts to mine and then the subsequent interactions you can make an educated guess as to which posts I was referring to.

My apologies if you thought that I was actually suggesting that it was a good idea to politicise this tragedy. I didn't realise I needed to be much more obvious with my sarcasm.

Can we drop this or take it to pm if you have any more questions?

I suppose it depends when we all learn things. When I was writing the OP, we were learning things so fast that by the time I had written a first draft, 13 people admitted to hospital in critical condition, had become 13 dead victims in addition to 2 outstanding already. Happening too fast at the time to have any idea what the response (politically) would be, I didn't even know the name or identity of the shooter when I wrote that at first. If it had been another Great Replacement Theory terrorist, that's a whole other sack of beans, if it had been some kid from the school that's another, or an illegal immigrant, etc. so I feel like - if people are reacting by voicing strong political opinions about it, it's because they're finding out with an array of much more information and context than I had originally. I talked about this for hours yesterday here, on social media, etc. and it wasn't until I decided I was done for the night, and I was sitting down with the fiance and she suddenly just went "OH MY GOD" and start breaking down crying, because she had finally just heard about it on Reddit, I didn't have any heart to be the bearer of that news to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Im not sure.

It would be great to see a proper organised group to rival the NRA. 20 or 30 million people crowd funding with a proper structure could make a difference as a rival lobby group. Is the appetite there though

Or do they just like their guns too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I'm not attacking you, but the idea its not political. I mean are we to believe the gun lobby want a period of mourning? I don't believe that. They want to use the dead children to deflect. When guns are the cause and dead children the result, its legitimate to speak about guns. If a drunk driver runs down a kid we'll talk about drunk driving. If a terrorist blows up a building, we'll talk about terrorism. The gun lobby are abusing the dead children for political shielding. Some of their fellow travelers will be claiming it was faked.

To wit nobody said it was too soon to discuss the threat of terrorism after the Boston Marathon Bombing.

Not at all.

I wouldn't post what I posted yesterday, today.

As I said, the debate is needed and very important. My issue was the news was still breaking and it seemed like some were just interested in getting their digs in.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Alright that's about all of this I can handle for right now.

Depends on the person and the dig.

The survivors of the Parkland shooting have been political advocates since the shooting took place. Of course their first reaction to learning it's happened again is to carry on with what their doing with renewed spite and anger, at the people that have already been obstructing their ongoing efforts for years to make America safer for kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,286 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Burty330 do not post in this thread again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The rifle didn’t become a political symbol until after it was demonized. For a quarter century people bought ARs and there was no particular controversy. Then in the late 1980s the whole “assault weapon” business started, a term which did not exist until developed by politicians in favor of gun control. Ironically, the weapon which prompted it was more an AK-47 variant (used by both shooters in the North Hollywood Shootout), not an AR, but far more people owned ARs than AKs (or FALs or AUGs or HK91s or anything else covered under the Roberti-Roois act). As it’s what most covered people had, and also was the covered weapon most often seen by the public at ranges, or used in criminal activity (with caveat that they are a very, very small minority of weapons used in criminal activity) simply due to its prevalence, plus it looked like the rifle in use by the military “weapons of war etc” it became the “symbol” of the argument, both for and against. “Hands off my rifle” was the AR because that was the covered rifle in most people’s hands.

M16s and M14s provide an interesting problem for the CMP, as they are machineguns. The M1 carbine, effectively the predecessor to the AR15 as a semi-auto, magazine fed, intermediate caliber rifle, was available for sale (Clint Eastwood’s “get off my lawn” rifle), so there should be no particular difficulty in principle for selling the later rifles. The problem is that they would somehow have to be converted from full auto to semi auto before they could be sold on the mass market, and in such a way that they could not be easily converted back. The costs of doing so for used rifles probably aren’t worth it when one considers how cheaply someone can buy a brand new purpose-built-for-the-civilian-market AR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We've a long way to go before I'll accept that as a genuine concern and not a ploy.

Advertisement