Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And how many trillions will that all cost, and does it have the votes in the Senate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

How sad for America if this is the answer. Accept you live in a country where people may try to kill you at school, accept that you’re public representatives have no intention to change that, accept that grandad can’t enjoy his retirement because he has to make sure you don’t get killed while you’re in class.

Tighter gun laws won’t solve everything overnight but it’s a start down a better path.

I’ll take the report at face value for now. There are a limited number of people capable of facing a gunman even if armed themselves. It needs a team selected and trained. Even then a close range gunfight inside a building can turn into a lottery. Hence the team.

Beto explains his outburst as it related to Abbotts empty promises after a similar mass shooting in his hometown of El Paso (the walmart shooting, which was related to GRT) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_El_Paso_shooting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You mean leave the weapons in a known, centralised location to which responders will rush in an emergency, and which is also unmanned at night? I see two flaws with that.

Another side benefit.

Cost: close to zero given local fundraising would not be a problem. Senate for some restrictions: work in progress.

The thing has to be reframed. Guns are NOT getting banned. Limitations? Possible.

Solutions, not identity.

You're telling me it costs nothing by sidestepping the fact that money has to be raised for it.

You say no spending should be done by the federal government then. This won't add a penny to the national debt to implement, it is "free?"

If you want to change reality first accept it. I’d gladly give up one or two days a week sitting watching cctv with a weapon if it deterred or stopped the lunacy we saw in Texas and Parkland and Sandy Hook. Call it sad but it’s a step to stopping greater sadness.

If you want a solution get a solution, not a gotcha, not a vindication, not a one up manship.

There are 130,930 public and private K-12 schools in the U.S., according to 2017-18 data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) (edweek.org)

It sounds like it would take more than the GDP of most countries to get them all a squad of budget power rangers and other security features proposed. Regardless of where you found the money.

• Advertisement

No. Rota of trained team on duty. SOP for a response team. No need to reinvent wheel.

The solution is there. You’re looking to see which of various shibboleths can be deployed to stop it. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

What a dump of a country. Imagine your kids having to undergo regular 'active shooter drills'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Christy42

Weasel words. The entire suggestion is just to try and not actually do anything about it. That is the only reason it is being suggested is to stop anythong coming in for gun control. And hey now they will blame the teacher when it happens. You know it will happen, they are already trying to blame parents for not tactically scouting the school first.

The side suggesting it are terrified of teachers with a book they haven't combed over and now they want to give them firearms? Will teachers get an educational discount on guns like ms office (stole that line from a teacher), will teachers get any training for this new role or just hope whatever is there works? The US public school system is horribly underfunded relying on teachers going the extra mile for students but sure let's add more to the plate.

I think we are past the good person with a gun being reliable. It failed in Texas, it failed in Buffalo. It can be a thing but isn't reliable and the US needs an actual attempt at a solution, not just trying to base schools on teenage dystopian fiction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Oh, nobody is saying it is a complete solution, but it is something that can be done, is being done in some places, doesn’t cost anything do be done, and will at least limit damage in some cases. It has more practical effect than bleating about trying to ban guns or whatever which simply isn’t going to happen.

The more complete solution is identifying why these things happen and addressing that. Why not try denying them their fame that they crave? We know the names of all the various shooters. Brevik. Pollack. Cho. And we can link those names with locations. Without googling, how many people can name the guy who killed 86 with his truck in Nice? Does the choice of weapon have an impact on notoriety? The psychologists have said the search for fame is a factor, addressing it is something which can be easily done, and yet instead folks are focusing on something for which there is neither the political will, nor the legal capability to practically enact.

The book thing is a red herring. I don’t agree with it, and it whatever books are in the school library are of limited relevance when facing a person with a gun. Unless it’s particularly heavy and useful in hand to hand combat.

The long term solution will require an entire cultural shift to include social support structures and changing how we deal with those susceptible to such acts. Even that is probably easier, if the US sets its mind to it, than trying to limits the availability of the already currently extant hundreds of millions of firearms.

Just reading there that it was planned. I had been wondering if the school shooting was part of his plan. When reports said he crashed next to the school, I wasn't sure.

They're all real btw. Like each one was made after a mass shooting. They've just put a load of them on the homepage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'm not an economic expert, but as long as everything is sourced in the USA then it could only be good for the economy? Create some jobs and use American parts and technology to secure school campuses.

It's the best solution as banning guns won't happen so just forget about it. Even if they banned or made assault rifles hard to obtain they are still out there and nutters will still go into schools with handguns that they can probably upgrade. They could make explosives or anything, even from things you buy in a supermarket.

Securing schools is the only possible solution. It doesn't matter if it's 'sad' to have to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

People don't shoot kids simply because they can.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Was this 18 year old gunman Salvador Ramos a Republican or NRA member?

I wouldn't have thought so .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t understand the argument that if you make certain guns more difficult to obtain people could find ways around it so don’t bother doing anything.

If you make these guns more difficult to get it won’t stop all but it might stop some. If some looks to purchase upgrade parts if might set off alarm bells with the authorities, or some may choose to just use pistols which might limit the damage they cause.

America won’t ban guns, that’s obvious. The shocking thing is that their politicians will do nothing about it, not even something as simple as closing a background check loophole that has the support of the majority of Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There seems to be talk of the police getting their own kids out, and that it was the police who barricaded the place/stopped parents going in. Difficult to find anything concrete though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I was in Texas on business about a decade ago.

The local guys in our office there were telling me about some political move being made or just a rumour of Obama making gun buying more difficult meant the gun shops had record sales as folks stocked up. Talking about gun bans or even controls was worth a fortune to them.

There's no hope for these bloody people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There needs to be strict laws about buying guns, you can't buy beer under 21 but you can buy a rifle? This man had serious problems at school he got into alot of fights and his behavior was very strange. With all the tech we have now can they lock school doors , he just walked into the school. Make schools secure Like have pin locks on doors the pin no is changed every week, maybe even have security guards if a building has more than 20 people using it

The present supreme Court is very Conservative, they will probably make it even easier to buy guns. In the last year Texas made it easier to buy guns , unless you have a criminal record you can get a permit to carry weapons . As long as the republicans control Congress or the senate the chances of serous gun control laws being passed is close to zero there's new tech scanners avaidable that can tell if someone is carrying a gun from a distance works like an xray

The republicans are getting ready to pass laws to make abortion illegal and maybe outlaw certain forms of contraception there's no way they pass new laws on gun control they will pass laws to control women's bodys

Maybe in 5 years time if Democrats are in power they might be able to pass laws to make it harder to buy rifles or automatic weapons and anyone buying a gun will have to be checked out more thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Ok, that explains why you thought a “concentrated volley” from a handgun against a body armoured person with an assault rifle made sense. It doesn’t work that way. A lone person with no armour and a handgun has no chance of stopping that.

i lived in the US for years, and like my US friends and colleagues , went to shooting ranges for fun some evenings after work. I got a license to carry and owned a gun (needed a license in the state I lived in). I understand the attraction Americans have for guns, the engineering and craftsmanship, the skill involved in shooting well. They won’t give them up.

The US needs federal law on it, leaving that up to states doesn’t work.

At a national level, they could enforce having to get a license, where the license needed a background check and training.

They could tax the crap out of ammo.

And ffs, don’t sell ak-15s to civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The average kid isnt going to spend a penny donating to any organisation unless there are tangible benefits. What does someone actually gain from membership? Perhaps @Manic Moran can fill us in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Advertisement