Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hi, just looking for some advice, flying from T1 on Friday at 15.20 hrs, with just hand luggage. What time would we need to be at the airport? Is there fast-track available, and is it worth getting? Fast-track is showing up on Ryanair page, but not showing as available on DAA page, so advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Does Ryanair only open the bag drop two hours before the flight, we're flying next month from Donegal to Dublin and then onto France, flight from Donegal will arrive in about 8.45 and we'll have a 20kg bag in the hold, was hoping we could just drop it off asap and then get through security, our flight to France is 12.20. worried now that we'll have to wait about till 10.20 to drop the bag off. Do they have automatic bag drops with Ryanair? It's so long since I had a large bag with me, and traveled, that I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Was going through T1 last Wednesday at 12:00, the security queue looked terrible but moved quick enough and was through in about 30 mins with no issues. The terminal was busy and messy too, but I was expecting this due to all of the comments and articles. In the end though, had a couple of pints and got the flight on time and out to Menorca.

Flying home last night, 50 minutes late but still ok and passport control was a doddle....

Overall not as bad as expected and looking forward to my next trip... somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

5am, I was there Saturday last week at 5:30am and it was fine through in 15 mins, this week I arrived about 4:45 am and was mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

We have flights tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11.25 for Reus in Barcelona from T1. I plan to be at the airport at around 8.30 (i'm a nervous traveler!)

We have friends on the earlier 8.10am flt to the same destination

Will update the thread with queue times after we get thru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

OK...

Arrived at T1 at 0835 for 1125 flight.

Ryanair baggage from completed by 0845 despite some broken machines rejecting bags for "Weight has changed" errors.

Arrived at security at 0848 and out the other side by 0920...so approx 30 mins for security.

Staff very friendly.

Airport is definitely busy, but not packed.

Bar/restaurant in T1 at about 75%, no problem getting seat/table.

No wait at the bar! Easily time for 2 pints!

Way better experience than I was expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bit of proper mayhem at the ranch this evening, one man hospitalised. A 'cultural' incident looking at the videos on social media....

One man has been arrested and another hospitalised following a public order incident in Dublin Airport this evening.

The incident took place earlier this evening at approximately 7.20pm, with both Gardaí and DAA Airport Police responding shortly after.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-fight-man-arrested-hospitalised-5773323-May2022/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's staggering about that incident is that the full video is about 5 minutes long and at no point during it did security/airport police or Gardai make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I went to Manchester on April 2nd. Few lads well tanked up. Ryanair girl on the desk rang security. About 20 airport police there within 5 minutes. They didn't get let on the flight

Bizarre this took so long to have any police on site given its an airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

That is not staggering. That is the reality today. Policing in this country is inadequate. Country is going to the dogs…

It's an international airport, it is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Pikeys. Literally do what they want and they'll get away with it. A scourge on our country.

If they werent our cultured cousins security would have been there in seconds.

International airport? Sure IEDs are getting through security.

Carry on Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It should be staggering but no one is surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Gardai or security wouldn't have intervened in that incident anyway - they are afraid of, ahem, that element of Irish society.

Leaving that aside -

I boarded a flight at 7:45 am Monday. The whole experience was awful. Huge queues at T2 departure gates due to a single man checking boarding passes manually. Security then was a nightmare due to lack of staff (still!) there. Then we discovered our flight was now departing T1 at gate 306. Long walk all the way over there and, as we approached the gate, the smell of sh*t was just appalling.

Dublin airport has gone to the dogs and is a national embarrassment.

Edit: Speaking of terrible customer experience, I forgot to mention all the systems that make up the Aer Lingus / IAG technology chain - the Aer Lingus mobile app, the nonsensical VeriFly app and the automated in-airport systems. They are either buggy as hell or don't work at all. In the year 2022 it is simply unforgivable and will drive more passengers to Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Tinkers. Nothing is a shock with them. Not all of them but a good few. What have Pavee Point said about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Thats a disgrace, no airport police around, Have they not a duty of care to anyone unlucky enough to share a plane with that lot, they'd just cause mayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Christ, anywhere else I'd let it slide but the lack of authority at an international airport is utterly disgraceful. Could you imagine what would happen if that was in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of chickens coming home to roost in Dublin Airport, it would appear.

Im not in the least bit surprised.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I arrived into Dublin airport this evening and saw a load of airport police and gardaí standing around the place. That video certainly explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What are the odds of two rival traveller gangs flying out of the country at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I have a question on fasttrack for T1 - its showing up as available via Ryanair online check in, but it's not available on DAA. Is it just another way for Ryanair to get more money out of us, or is it legit and worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sure it's their culture, Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Couple of lines in the lower pages of Breakingnews about it.

Hardly any media outlet will mention it, they don't want to get tarred with it.

Don't blame the guards, I wouldn't want to go near them either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

This is not embarrassing for Dublin Airport it downright dangerous. Where the HELL were the airport police? Where the hell was security?

seeing this and ordinary people left to fend for themselves again and save that chap…Ffs… makes to realise there is zero planning and assistance in Dublin airport. Try that in ANY small airport in the states and see what happens. .

The Irish Times, the Independent, the Examiner, the Mirror and others all have the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

If this happened in any other airport in Europe within two minutes these lads would have been carried out hogtied with tasers up their holes, and rightly so. Could you imagine how quickly and definitively the Guardia Civil would have put a stop to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't have been even asked to stop, they'd of split their heads open with a baton without a second thought. I seen them flake a protester who wouldn't move on the streets of madrid.

That's an international airport there should be zero tolerance to this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wangchung

Took the Gardai /Airport police over ten minutes to arrive after the first incident took place. You never see the Airport police actually patrolling the inside the airport either .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's in the hands of the Gardai and the courts now. Commenting on it can have legal repercussions. Best to get back to security queues etc.

I'm traveling the bank holiday weekend on a dreaded 6.30am flight. Last time we arrived at the airport at 3.30am. I'm hoping 4/4.30 will be ok now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

dreaded 6.30 flight? I envy you. I'm getting a 5:40am flight with 2 small kids.

I'm hoping a Sunday morning wont be madness. Getting a taxi to the airport though so at least I don't have to mess with parking & bus as well. Can thank DAA for that, screwing people on parking without quick park for competition. 2 weeks in 2019 €55, now €150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Does anyone know if the East Lounge is open to every passenger, regardless of airline? I’m figuring it’s better value than the standard T1 lounge for an extra 5 quid (as they provide hot food), but I don’t want to risk being turned away due to my “steerage” status of flying with Ryanair?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did they say it was travellers though?

I only read the Indo piece, and not a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wishful thinking. No it’s not open to riff raff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They often insert a coded clue somewhere in the report

Ha that’s what I was thinking! Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, read that. But note the total absence of the word travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The airports purpose is to accommodate travelers 😂😂😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So flying out 11:30 flight (I think) to Bristol on Thursday 23/June with Ryanair. Will have rucksack/tent (Going to Glasto). But This will be OK weight-wise (No faffing about)

Is there any point in upping to Fastpass? Or is the issue simply before Security? Any idea when I should go to Airport. I was planning on 3 hours before. Is this enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No one can give you accurate info on what the airport will be like in a months time. 11:30 on a Thursday isn’t anywhere near peak times though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. Will just have to see closer alright. Mental

Arrived at the airport just before 6:30 this morning and there was a huge queue for security. It was showing a 30 minutes wait on the screen but the queue was snaking around some check in desks so could take longer than that. Myself and a few others were making our way to the fast track area and an over zealous security guard was calling us back as he thought we were skipping the queue. They have so much of that tape all over the place that there is no direct path to fast track so it’s like a maze trying to get to the entrance…almost like they don’t want you to find it.

Anyway I got there and got through in 5 minutes. €7 well spent for sure.

Now I’m in the oasis of calm that is the East Lounge and there are only a handful of people in here. Again, well worth it to get away from the chaos of waiting around in the main terminal.

I see the DAA have got the wait times website taken down.

Ryanair still enforcing masks on board. The cynic in me thinks it’s a deliberate ploy to get people to buy their food/drink so they can take it off.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, maybe it's for their staff's benefit?

We don't have to wear masks in work anymore but if there are group meetings then they ask we do.

I know someone who went away last week to Spain. She now has Covid.

• Advertisement

Does Ryanair have automatic baggage drop offs that are running very early in the mornings?

Flying from Dublin Airport this year really takes the shine off heading away.

Advertisement