Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I get the want to have all spines cross each other to facilitate interchange, but this doesn't necessarily need to happen at just one focal point in the city. Nothing wrong with having multiple smaller interchange hubs throughout the city centre area.

A few tweaks to the current spine routings could serve more of inner city Dublin while maintaining crossings with all other spines:

• A spine from Dorset St along Bolton St, Church St, High St, Dame St, back to Georges St.
    • D spine from Dean St along Kevin St, Cuffe St, SSG, up Merrion West, Westland Row and then back towards Amiens St.
    • F spine from Prospect Rd through Phibsborough, Constitution Hill, Church St, High St, Patrick St, to New St. (essentially, swap the F spine routing with the 23/24 routing)

And if there really is the need for everything to have decent enough interchange with the H "Spine", then just send the H buses along the quays to Heuston or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Folks, we went through several massive consultations on this, with the original proposal mercifully being ditched - I think you all have to accept that it’s done now.

Expecting it to change at this stage is bordering on fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

On to a somewhat related matter, does anyone know how the G spine is to exit the quays for its westbound routing? I read in the older reports that they would make Winetavern Street two-way, however at its junction with Parliament Street I’ve noticed this covered traffic light that says “bus” on it:

… which tells me that they may plan to use Parliament Street instead, though I’m not entirely sure :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's some design work being done right now by Dublin City Council for Winetavern Street. Not sure if it's for bus lanes or just temporary cycling infrastructure. I'll try to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I think the NTA should have stuck with their original numbering system for bus connects using 2xx for local routes not sure why this was changed to Lxx. I think using N for northside orbitals could be confused for night buses especially with non locals considering many cities use Nxx for night buses.

I'd prefer they kept letters only for spines and used 1xx for orbitals. As I think it's a little bit confusing using letters for non spine routes I don't see the need to differentiate between Northern, Western and Southern orbitals.

An exception could be for using an Nxx prefix for night only routes perhaps a separate map could made for the night network including the 24hr routes. This would differentiate night routes with the currently being phased out Nitelink routes.

The 45a is a bit of a weird one the journies via Shanganagh Cliffs are numbered 45b but the journies via Wolfe Tone Square are numbered as regular 45as, the 47 journies via Mount Merrion aren't numbered separately either. You also forgot to mention the 185 Palermo mess aswell. Good you mentioned the 33a which is a complete mess don't understand why they can't number Swords-Balbriggan journies 33c although I also don't understand why all journies can't serve the airport some of the 33as that terminate in Swords go OOS to the airport to take up a 102 why not do this in service.

• Advertisement

Was that not installed for the temporary College Green trial closures on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Removal of 17a cuts out a massive area of Finglas Ballymun Road and Glasnevin avenue where many old and infirm passengers would have used the service to go to Beaumont hospital. The N6 running from Finglas Village up past Charlestown through Poppintree and down to Santry Avenue is a very different approach to serving a hospital bus route.

I wouldn't say the original proposal was ditched as it was always the plan for there to a public consultation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It wasn't ditched as even the latest version is the modification of the original one, so it was amended after the consultations. Indirect routes such as 19, 48, D2, D5, 60 proves that some compromises have been made which aren't ideal for the whole plan but in favour to some residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I think one of the major reasons why they wouldn't use 1xx numbering is that the majority of the regional (BE/GAI) services out of Dublin being in the 100-140 range, so while there probably wouldn't be many conflicts at individual stops, there still would be two different routes with the same number... (Although one can argue that this is the case anyway with a few of the Expressway routes.) By keeping the numbers to 0-99 and prefixed routes the NTA can finally avoid major conflicts nationwide.......well, they would, if half of the BE-operated towns didn't have prefixes conflicting with the Dublin ones anyway <facepalm>

At the same time when I'd made my only submission (in the first 2018 round of consultations) I argued something yet different: purely numerical route numbers, with the A-G Spines becoming 0x-6x, the N/S/W Orbitals becoming 7x-9x, and the few radials getting numbers from 151 up, and the 2xx and 3xx series remaining as proposed. Of course that never accounted for the H Spine being added in later, and in hindsight a lot of the A-H/N/S/W/P/X makes sense (although with the number of P routes... ah well). It's unfortunate that the word for north starts with an N, I suppose.

The rest is going to be largely off-topic, but anyway:

The Palermo mess escaped my memory, and to be perfectly honest, the 33B and 45A are two weird counterexamples of the logic otherwise prevalent in routes operated by GAI getting suffixes for odd variations... 17/17C/17D: C didn't serve some core stops, 17D terminates at a stop off-route; 63/A: 63A serves extra stops off the core route; same with 75/A, 76/A, 220/A, 236/A, as well as the alphabet attached to the 120s and 126 - and heck, even the 83/A partakes in that logic, but contrary to the GAI services, its timetables are printed as 83, with the 83A only ranking a mention in the explanatory notes. However, in the case of 33A and 185 the variations don't serve stops off the other variations: the Palermo 185s are just a short piece of the Enniskerry route, and when it comes to the 33A you could argue that the Airport-Skerries trips are shorter versions of the Swords-Balbriggan trips (they're not, but once you're on the common route they are), and vice versa. In other words, variations to get separate route numbers are usually ones that, if drawn on a single string diagram, would require a deviation off the core route. Which is why I don't understand the 33B and 45A in this context, as both have variations that deviate mid-route rather than being shorter versions - although admittedly there was some sort of a rumour floating around that the 45A would be split into the 45 and 45A for clarity there. (I cannot think of a single logical reason why the 33A was split into two routes other than BE not wanting to hear of an alternative direct Balbriggan-Airport connection at Dublin city network prices, but that was when fare revenue still mattered. As for Swords-terminating buses running empty to the Airport to do 102s or other 33As, actual working timetables are not set by the NTA, but rather by the Operators to fit whatever resources they have, so that one's entirely on GAI making the most of that pile of puzzle pieces.)

• Advertisement

I was more referring to the 185 being a mess in the sense of it being ridiculous having 4 (2 in either direction) buses an hour going into a housing estate which does not require such extensive service. Rumour has it some of the residents in there even park in such a way deliberately in order to make it awkward for buses to maneuver in the estate.

The DB 185 timetable was even more confusing with pretty much every journey having some sort of variation to them some journies served Powerscourt back then but this was removed when GAI took over the route.

The good thing is the 185 will be replaced by the L14 Palermo to Southern Cross and the L15 Bray to Enniskerry not via Palermo.

It was the NTA who came up with the daft 33A situation - they didn't want a cheaper service between Balbriggan and the Airport, but I cannot see vast numbers choosing the 33A over the far faster 101 to get from Balbriggan to the Airport. Bizarrely it seems to be no longer an issue as BusConnects reverses this.

I used the term “ditched” as the second iteration was so different and better from the first one that it effectively was a brand new proposal.

Remember that the original proposal was predicated on the ludicrous parameters set by people in the NTA with zero operational public transport experience (still a massive failing of that organisation), which would have required large numbers of people to change en route to already jammed full trains and trams, or other buses, reduced the bus service on every corridor to/from the city centre, and removed community bus routes from many areas of the city where they were most needed.

We were also told by Jarrett Walker at the outset that the plan could only be changed by a very small amount. That comment, combined with some incredibly poor and at times inept comms by the NTA at times (causing a lot of confusion) really did get people’s backs up.

The fact that the Taoiseach of the day ultimately put on the record of the Dáil his view that the plan had to radically change and that he had told the CEO of the NTA that it needed to radically change tells you all you need to know. That mean version 1 was politically dead.

Whatever your view, there have been several massive consultations to get to where we are now, and I don’t see it changing again.

Well, yeah, that's the other thing - they should just have the short services, with Enniskerry 185s not serving the place at all. But I'm going to say this much: if Palermo don't want the service then just take the 185 out of there altogether, if they're that ungrateful. I've been there just once and on a double-decker, was tight enough as it is.

I'm not saying it wasn't the NTA behind it, I'm just trying to come up with any sensible reason for this - whether it came out of BE or was the NTA's own incentive doesn't particularly matter, as both seem valid.

BC reversed this with the 90 minute transfer fare anyway, at this point I think it's just keeping the status quo until that entire corner of the network is replaced with the new one.

But the main concepts like the spines and orbitals have remained throughout. Also slight changes have already been made to routes from the proposal like the N4 and N6 Eastern termini and the H1 terminus although that's more to do with the road into Clongriffin not being built yet.

Funnily enough, there's at least one route that doesn't match the final network release in each of the three phases so far.

Phase One: you said it yourself, H1 in Clongriffin.

Phase Two: C2 and X30 in Adamstown, C4/6 operating to Maynooth. C2 follows the C1 route for now, X30 is cut short at Dodsboro. C4/6 are meant to be cut short to Celbridge when the W6 comes in (right? right...?).

Phase Three: you said it yourself, N4 and N6 eastern termini. N4 loops around a different street, N6 doesn't reach the coast.

Notwithstanding the C4/6 and maintaining a Maynooth/Celbridge connection ahead of a further phase, all other route adjustments so far are a result of missing or unsuitable road infrastructure... to be honest, that's acceptable, as long as the Authority remembers to then chuck the buses out where they're supposed to be going to when the roads are available!

The H1 not serving Clongriffin is forgivable as building a road is out of the NTAs remit. Where was the C2 originally meant to go? As for the C4/6 again forgivable as a new route is yet to be implemented and no areas/stops have omitted.

As LXFlyer pointed out the N4 revised terminus is probably just as good if not better than the original terminus. However I don't think the N6 terminus change is really acceptable though it's perhaps not a huge deal but I thought it was part of the plan to ensure that all bus related infrastructure such as stops, interchanges and in this case bus turnaround facilities were to be in place prior to the implemention of all route changes. This would be with the exception of the bus corridors. It strikes as an oversight and possible laziness by the NTA and it wouldn't surprise if it was put on the long finger by the NTA.

Regarding the C2, it was supposed to go straight past Westbury Court and onto Shackleton Drive, whereby it would turn left at Lidl before heading down towards Adamstown Station. However, construction of the road beyond Lidl has slowed due to delays in deliveries of building materials, which is why they settled on duplicating the C1. Can’t really blame the NTA for that:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Well in the booklet that the NTA released it shows the N4 serving Waterville as the 17A does now. However in the overall map it is shown coming in the back way.

I note this morning two new bus stops (kessel kerbing and bus cages) in Waterville and the bus stop on Snugborough Road ( towards Ballycoolin) is to be moved 100m northwards, which would suggest that the recently released NTA booklet is wrong. Will attach pictures of aforementioned bus stop works in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

I can't rotate the image but this is the bus stop on the Snugborough Road. You can see the former bus stop in the distance.

These are the new bus stops that appeared in Waterville. However on the current 17A route through Waterville they have updated the stops to say the N4 will stop there and there are signs to prevent Dublin Bus drivers missing the turn into the hospital also.

• Advertisement

The routing based on the stops in the timetable is as per the current 17A route at the moment, via Waterville Road and stops 2290 and 6039. Admittedly the N4 could go around the northern side of that estate, but I think at this stage the L61 could be the better option.

From Street View I note that there is some space for faux bus stop bays, and the road is sufficiently wide all around, so it feels like somebody didn't get the memo.

Google maps has a strange interpretation of the 17a routing seems to suggest it does two loops one around Connolly Hospital and another around Waterville road

Because of the entrance to hospital from Waterville has a barrier for ambulance and bus to through only. Same was with 40D in Ballycoolin Business Park at Paypal but it's been corrected some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There's a fair few routes that don't get shown correctly on Google maps, the 46a & 155 between Dawson Street & Westmoreland Street being one example. Google maps has them doing the same route as the 145 via Please Street (plus a detour via Hawkins Street) rather than using College Green.

Edit: just noticed all 3 routes are also routed via Frederick Street. Looks like Google maps doesn't recognise that the bottom of Dawson Street/Kildare Street are accessible by buses.

All of these detours are because it's Google trying to map the routes using the generic private car-oriented traffic rules built into it. The GTFS data feeds from the NTA simply don't contain route shapes at all, and any other third-party website will either attempt the same as Google Maps itself, or will simply draw straight lines connecting the stops in order.

I know myself some bus operators having drawn the lines on map themselves using a Google Earth generated file which works perfectly fine on Google Maps. I did this job myself years and years ago having to draw a couple of hundred lines over a few restless months' time. Sometimes even had to take an actual bus and correct bus stop locations on map too as schedulers weren't sure about the true locations. Over 10 years have past and still works fine. People who does the scheduling now simply adjust the lines when needed (even does that just for the weekend when due to special events some streets are closed) and aren't dependant on Google maps, they can also use same file format with Open Street Maps. I know a few operators now using this instead. Irish public transport is extremely lazy in regards to this - too little PT enthusiasts working in their (NTA/TFI and operators) offices. When I was a student I was a volunteer consultant to one of these NTA type of agencies in my own country. It was a great experience. Funny, I sometimes had a word and they actually cared about my opinion. Unlike the NTA, I guess...

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

New N4 bus stop gone in west bound on Glasnevin Avenue at the shops…less than 2 metres away from a set of traffic lights that got turned on for the first time this morning, despite being built 10 months ago, that have 2+ minute light sequences. Not the best joined up thinking there; can see some irritating waiting and stopping at that pinch point in the future.

Locally, both Kevin’s and Beneavin Secondary schools not happy that Ballymun and Santry has been cut off from their schools. (I see their point to a degree, but also that a school bus could solve their issue, not necessarily up to DB/TFI to provide school transport).

What's the problem for pupils to change bus? There already are too many spoiled children who are being brought to school by their parents with a car. They should all take buses and learn an independent and responsible lifestyle as early as possible. Otherwise we see what happens when they get older - plenty of bad examples around.

Just a quick thought on the H spine extension to cross city. I'd scrap 86, 87, 88 and replace with H1, H2 & H3. I've looked and see that H is less frequent, however, also seen people complaining H should be more frequent. Matching 86, 87, 88 frequency and also having H spine routes 24/7 as it would go along part of green Luas (which doesn't operate overnight) be could highly benefit. However, it'd be against the whole idea that spines go along well planned roads with mainly bus priority lanes and some priority traffic lights.

So if above isn't a good idea, then diverting the H up to Heuston could be a good plan. On the other hand, why to duplicate and compete against a Red Luas?

• Advertisement

Looks like they forgot that the 220 will still run…

Advertisement