Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Another one-sided piece on the NBP in the BP:

They've repeated the claim (which they claim to have evidence for) of encroachment to the tune of 45,000 premises.

One interesting new detail:

Of these, about a third have access to older fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) broadband with speeds greater than 30Mbps. The NBP is designed to offer high-speed broadband to those who do not have access to internet with speeds of 30Mbps or less.

And the bitter pill:

The average cost to the taxpayer of passing one home or business under the NBP is about €5,500. Taking a conservative overbuild figure of 45,000, about €245 million would be spent by the state subsiding NBI to replicate a broadband network for people who already have access to one. This is contrary to the objective of the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im close to being able to be connected and was looking at available suppliers- Vodafone, Sky, Blacknight, Digiweb and then about 6 I havent heard of. Seems VF and Sky are both 35 a month for 12 months and then the rest 45-50. Is it possible to switch between VF and Sky and back again every 12 months or is that something they prevent saying you are not a new customer on the second contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Looks like Denis Naughten question is taking info from both the NBI website and the "The Digital Ireland Framework" document.

The 2028 date comes from the framework document, still 2026 for the NBP.

Fingers crossed that 2026 doesn't become 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

They've repeated the claim (which they claim to have evidence for) of encroachment to the tune of 45,000 premises.

If he has evidence he should at least explain the method of calculation even if he won't explain how he got the data itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im just hoping it is possible. I seem to remember if you had a contract with Sky and then moved elsewhere and then back to them 12 months later they would no longer consider you a new customer and you wouldnt get the introductory rate. Im fine with paying 35 a month for internet but not so fine paying 45-55 a month, my current bill is 7.99 a month on mobile broadband so its quite a jump

Ypu are trying to predict what will happen 2 years down the line with 12 month sky contract followed by a 12 month Vodafone contract, and nothing stopping you from cancelling and going back to your current scenario after the 2 years

I posted Eircom's FTTP progress here. It looks like their 200k non-IFN program is moving very slowly. At the current rate it would take them 28 years to get it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Is this from being directly plugged into the router? What speeds over WIFI?

The wired and wifi speedtests are both in my post from Mar 30th, but it was ~ 900 for wired and ~ 800 for wifi. That was right beside my ax router for the wifi test (using a OnePlus 8 Pro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Seen a Alltec van in my area today doing work. They seem to be Fibre installers.

http://www.alltecfibre.ie/

Anyone know who they are subcontracting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Just tho7gh I'd start updating on my rollout,

Been showing as predicted to be available March to May of this year.

Went ready to pre order a few weeks back but held off ordering as couldn't pre order with vodafone.

Went ready to connect last Tuesday and order with Vodafone. Was advised I would get a call to schedule install within 48 hours. Not had call yet but hopefully will tomorrow

Post edited by heavydawson on

Update for my install, East Cork Area

Been showing as predicted to be available March to May of this year.

Went ready to pre order a few weeks back but held off ordering as couldn't pre order with vodafone.

Went ready to connect last Tuesday and ordered with Vodafone on Tuesday 17th may . Was advised I would get a call to schedule install within 48 hours, and install would be within 15 days (not working days, 15 days total, I did check this), so would have expected install by 1st-2nd Jun at the latest based on this.

Still had not received call for install date by the 23rd May, so contacted vodafone to see why. They said my install was scheduled for the 10th June (never got a call or a confirmation which was annoying).

Next available date was the 18th, so sticking with the 10th, was told will get a call 2 days beforehand to schedule time.

On an aside, vodafone sales people calling door to door all last week also, but I had already ordered online at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

I'm sure it will be of interest to some here that Openeir have published a map of their proposed fibre upgrade programme. At a glance there does seem to be at least some overlap with NBI intervention areas. It seems like it is going to be a race now in certain areas to see which company gets there first. What this means for NBI's business model or the Government subsidy is unclear.

https://openeir.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=df8c703d0a554cd58c2bf8b4516f12cb

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Premises passed by county as of the end of April:

That map looks like it might need a bit of work.

On the left is the new map, and on the right is what they're saying about their current network on www.fibrerollout.ie. Both responses reference the same premises.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The map is saying I can get speeds up to 2Gbps, however that is not true. I am in an Eir rural FTTH area and the maximum speeds the providers checkers are saying 1Gbps which is the maximum Gpon is set to without further upgrades. The 2Gbps is only available in Eir IFN urban areas. They need to make this distinction on the map.

The rural FTTH network is not even capable of speeds beyond 1Gbps unless OpenEir eventually upgrade that network to the same standard as the IFN network.

My premises in East cork is soon to be covered by NBI (May-Oct 22) and now also Eir based on the link above (No timeline given).

So they’ll be two separate Fibre cables passing my door (I presume they won’t be sharing the same cable). How does that make sense when there will be other places in the country that have NBI timelines of 2026. Seems wrong.

I recall Eir had my property in their original rural FTTH but it never happened. So now it’s viable but it wasn’t then?!

• Advertisement

Technically it's true. They're not saying you can get 2gbps. They're saying "up to", which is anything from 0-2gbps. The only thing they're guaranteeing is that you "can avail of a full fibre connection"

Exactly. Reading this article from last month they plan to upgrade them all to 2Gbs (cities, towns villages), implying upgrades to XGS-PON.

Eavann Murphy, managing director of Open eir Wholesale. “We are extremely proud of the scale and pace of this FTTH network build, and I think it is particularly remarkable that approximately 400,000 of these homes and businesses were passed during the pandemic. We are building a future-proofed network capable of delivering speeds of 2Gb/s straight to the customer’s home, across all cities, every town and almost every village in the country. 

Source: https://www.techcentral.ie/ireland-on-track-to-become-one-of-the-most-connected-countries-in-the-world/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What would an upgrade from GPON to XGS-PON involve? Would the black box's on the poles have to be replaced/rewired as well as the ONT box inside the house?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The fibre and splitters should be fine. It should just be an OLT and ONT swap. It should also be possible to coexist so that the same OLT can run GPON to the older ONTs and XGSPON to the newer.

This is what we've been talking about when we've said fibre is future-proof infrastructure.

The DP (black box) is reusable. XGS-PON and GPON have different frequencies so can co-exist on the existing fibre network.

ONT box inside the house will need replacing.

why would anyone ever need speeds like that? Seems an utter nonsense

Eir does whatever suits them at any given time, they are encroaching on the NBP IAs either via fibre rollout or providing greater than 30 Mbps via FTTC copper as we read above. Networks will not be sharing fibre on the same poles but eir will be charging NBI an annual fee to for the use of the poles, win win for them as a commercial company I guess.

Why doesn't NBI publish these county figures on their website, why keep it hidden?

The overall figure of premises passed as of now is 56,636 according to their website, no county breakdown.

Speeds of 2Gbps are not needed right now, but the upload on it is much better about double. It is also nice to know that speeds beyond 1Gbps will be available because the internet probably will get much more demanding in the years ahead. I've no idea what price the 2Gbps plan is but it will probably be too much for the home user for a while, more for business's.

I noticed as well that Blacknight now do business business fibre in all FTTH locations and if extra upload is needed we can order 150/150 and 500/500 and 1000/1000 plans but these cost over 500 euros per month!

• Advertisement
Advertisement