Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's irrelevant where you are coming from - if you're driving from Cork, you can still find parking that's within easy walking distance of the park, or within the range of the many public transport options. You just have to look a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ah, I understand it is a bit of a pain alright but that is the price you pay I guess. as someone who uses the park on almost a daily basis I am just glad to see less cars flying about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Yes the park is a much better & safer place without the cars. It may be a minor inconvience for someone travelling up for the odd race but overall its definitely the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Have parked there loads of times for races in the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Personally, I'll be arriving stupid early to get a spot within a mile from the start/finish of the 10M and Half (like I've been doing for the marathon for years - found my spot and I know the times it'll be free vs full). I've an hour's drive to get there (public transport not an option from where I live, especially not on a weekend, simply non-existent in this little village), so makes no sense to double that travel time, AND expose myself to another bout of covid (trust me, not an experience I want to repeat, ever), by parking off somewhere and catching an over-full bus or Luas. I'll rather park up at 6am and nap in my car, thanks.

Not everyone has Dublin Bike subscription, nor is it feasible to sign up for 2-3 days of the entire year.

I understand what they're doing with the park, and am not against it, but I do think they should've considered the folks who legitimately have to drive to get there, by providing an alternative parking solution within reasonable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Is there an alternative parking solution close by they could use? And that would obviously increase the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Route up now for Frank Duffy 10, nothing yet for the half.

The route layout would suggest planning for any future events would not involve the North Rd due to traffic flow plans in place.

Not sure how they plan on managing westbound traffic on those days, suppose they just usher them around the park either via Cabra or Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Interesting route. I think I prefer it. A nice last 1.5 miles I think and you could say 2nd half of race is pretty flat in general. Acres road be a drag but should get help from prevailing wind to even it out

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I like it. I never was a fan of running the North Road anyways. I would imagine the Half course is going to follow a pretty similar route.

• Advertisement

Yeah the old North Road almost felt like you were running sideways such was the camber on the road.

The Half usually takes in Tower Rd so they should be able to make up the extra distance without going north of the main avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

So immissed out of the refund and defer window. I can't run as will have a newborn around the time. Won't get a chance to train. Is there anyway to sell or transfer the entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

No to either.

You can still plan to run it. We had a new born the during the night the day before the marathon. Ran DCM and stopped by the coombe on way home in my finishers top. There’s a will there’s a way

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Adverts/ donedeal/local running groups/Facebook running groups are a few options of selling/passing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Oof, up Acres Road, reminds me of my very first Frank Duffy and Half - they used to finish up Acres, back in the day. Nice route overall though, no complaints, but definitely good to know about the changes, anticipate that little drag on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

anyone remember the link that was on the old site they had all the race plans, can it still be accessed better dig it out again for the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Anyone know if there is going to be a Novice thread starting for this year?

Its my first time running the marathon (biggest race before this was the half marathon), was signed up for 2020 but obviously got postponed until this year. I've been looking at the Hal Higdon Novice training plan so any help or advice would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭TheRef

Nothing stopping you creating one I reckon. It is my first marathon in 14 years, so somewhat similar.

Problem though will be the forum seems to be frequented by enthusiasts who sometimes don't think about or recall what it is like to be a novice.

I used Hal's plan back in the day and it worked fine. Key was consistency. This time around, my biggest challenge is pacing. I want to do it sub-4 but reckon I could do sub-3:45, but I am really struggling to do anything slower than marathon pace in my runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Novice thread was really helpful for my first marathon (DCM 2018). I will keep an eye out and chime in where possible.

I still feel like a bit of a novice mind you, DCM 2022 will be my 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Yeah i'm using the Hal plan as well and going well so far, more just getting back out running and getting some miles under my belt.

The novice threads that i've seen from previous years are set up by experience runners so i don't think i'd be much help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'd imagine plans are in motion for this thread. Like marathon2022 link above, I found the 2019 novice thread invaluable for my first marathon.

Whoever is taking on this mantle, I'm happy to help out a bit on the mentoring front when time allows. I'm now also in a good position of advising on things not to do now after my latest marathon last weekend 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I also followed the 2019 Novice Thread which I found so supportive & helpful. I was really happy with how my training went having never followed a plan before. I too was running all my runs too fast(just a couple of runs a week) it took a while to get used to slowing down for my easy runs but with the help(& persistence) of the mentors it finally clicked & I haven't looked back since!

The biggest factor I think is picking a plan that suits you & your lifestyle. It's too easy to fall off a plan if it doesn't fit in. Decide how many days you can/want to run, pick a plan & commit to it but also enjoy it. It's a great feeling ticking off the long runs each week & gaining confidence in your running. Completing your 1st marathon is an amazing accomplishment & one that should be enjoyed as much as possible.

Best advice to a novice in hindsight would be:

- Enjoy it as you can only have your first once, be sure to have an experience that makes you want to come back

- Be ready to ramp up 20 weeks out, gives you 5 weeks from Monday to get to a consistent 20 miles a week with a longer run of 8 miles or so

- Plan a race series or events to run parallel to the training schedule, ten mile mid summer, half early sept, 3/4 late sept or early Oct

- Aim to be at those distances a week or two ahead of the races for confidence and use warm up and cool down to pad out long run

- Diet, do as I say not as I do, can't outrun a bad one, as someone who has done this from both ends it makes things infinitly easier to be carrying less weight even at the start as the ramp up with test your recovery abilities early on

- If you are young or childless factor in a snooze after the long runs if at all possible towards the end, helps you get straight back into recovery runs early in the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

good to see a few familiar names above from the 2019 novices thread, my last marathon

just a few stupid questions to the more experienced people

if following the plan would you start at the beginning considering I regularly do 20-30 miles a week made up of 4-5, 6 mile runs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The more miles the better. Don't drop down milage when starting a plan, incorporate the plan with the current levels of milage, and don't hold back on adding more. Every mile you run before a marathon helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Looking forward to DCM this year. Kicked off my running in 2018 with a 5km charity run at a local level. Ran DCM in 2019 in 3:56 then dreaded covid missed out on over 18 months of improved running but no races.

Going to sit down on 1 June to decide my plan. Blew up in Belfast 21 running 3:33 felt I should have done better but worst I ever felt. Recently cracked 18:22 over 5km and running sub 40 for 10km if I can translate any of my short distance speed work to long run efficiency I'm laughing.

Engage to the fiancé told her DCM in 21 might not go ahead so my place would roll. Getting married Oct 15th and she totally understands how important running is. Surely this is tapper time and all the work has been done. Just need to tick over a few runs post wedding to the race which is double.

I set goals before and cracked under pressure, going to assess the timing and run by feel on the day. Good luck all.

PS anyone doing LSR West Dublin area feel free to PM me. Looks like most of my training will be solo. Normally my long runs paces somewhere 5:10/5:15 per KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

Has anyone heard from the organisers re the race series? The first race is in a matter of weeks. I’m registered since 2020 for them but on eventmaster it still shows the 2020 races. Nothing about the new races/distances.

• The entry for the series is open on the Dublin Marathon website:

You are then brought to eventmaster to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

Hi thanks.I mean I’ve my entry since 2020, it should be rolled over to now I thought. But when I check my eventmaster account there is nothing about being registered for the upcoming races it still says 2020.

I guess I’ll have to contact them to get the answer I need, just thought someone else on here might be in the same boat.

Advertisement