Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

Were you all called re reg when you signed up? Honestly never been on here before. Irish times took away their comments section hence my debut.

Really? Documents recently retrieved from the Russians confirm the Oryx 'confirmed links'. That was a handy discovery. Do you have a source for this Indiana Jones like treasure?

You people need people like me to point you to the truth.

Well a dark sense of humour joke by some of the security analysts I worked with who map trolls and bots was that some people need an account for each of the voices in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"we cannot put the blame solely on Russia. We cannot forget that Ukraine is a failed state. There are numerous factors that have contributed to this war."

Seriously, after such a comment its author should be 100% muted on the forum because he/she/() must be paid troll shtestiring purposely as I can't believe someone sane can think this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Reports are saying that a Russian team has carried out a recovery operation on the sunken Moskva. I wonder what was so urgent?

Sievierodonetsk is the Russian main focus now perhaps they want to draw in Ukrainian forces and wear them down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Ive warned several posters for commenting on other posters and calling them names instead of engaging with what is said.

Its perfectly simple - if you believe someone is trolling report the post and dont reply. Simple - dont reply.

There will be bans in future.

• Advertisement

The UAF are already there in thousands and according to reports the chance to get out has passed. The highway to Lyshashank from Soledad was cut off last night so that the only way to retreat now is through their own heavily mined woods. Zelensky should have allowed them to retreat at least to Kramatorsk days ago when they asked him if he cared about these poor men.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

Isn't the road from Lysychans'k to Sivers'k still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Actually there is still an open road from Lysychansk to Siversk and on to Bakhmut/Kramatorsk so they have not been encircled yet.

It would take the Russians weeks or more at best to cut off the road from the North because they are blocked from the north by the Donets. Best case for the Russians is if Ukraine actually does retreat from Severodonetsk cauldron because otherwise it would slow down the already slow advance by a month or more

That is true but I read that the Russians took 90% of Lyman last night. Thats a huge loss as its a major transport hub. The speed of the retreat and the ease with which that town has been taken looks to be indicative of the morale of the current frontline Ukrainian soldiers. Once Lyman is taken the only road as you say is the Siversk/Bakhmut Highway left and the rapid western push from Popasna will close that off in the next few days if the current momentum continues.

These things are exponential. They seem to go slow and then as reality sinks in surrenders happen very quickly. Hopefully anyway so they don't have to die for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement

Pretty sure they are highlighting the futility of continuing a war that cannot be won and the tragic consequences of more western weapons that will only lead to more children without fathers. The implication from the tweeter is that they are taking joy in these horrific consequences and I think anyone who actually watches the video will view this as extremely misleading. Remember that roughly half of the Ukrainian population consider themselves Russian so it makes no sense that they would take joy in this.

From their point of view if the focus would be on negotiations instead of importing out of date weapons for the severely depleted Ukrainian army that are getting destroyed before they even reach the frontlines this would not be happening. Nor would the oncoming food shortages about to hit the western world in the next couple of months happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The main highway is still open. And even if they managed to block that off (they wont for several weeks at the earliest) there are roads to the west of siversk that cross the country to bakhmut and sloviansk.

These things have not been exponential at all, aside from the initial invasion in the south all the gains have been incredibly slow for the Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Invade country, get sanctioned, steal grain from that country and sell it elsewhere, whilst blockading that country from selling grain that is critically required by other countries. Then try to blackmail the global food supply to get sanctions removed, whilst playing the "victim" in all of it.

"The Kremlin’s spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, has been speaking during his regular briefing where he rejected claims that Russia had blocked grain exports from Ukraine.

Instead, Peskov accused the west of creating such a situation by imposing sanctions on Russia.

Peskov told reporters:

We categorically do not accept these accusations. On the contrary, we blame Western countries for taking actions that have led to this.

Ukrainian ports in the Black Sea have been blocked since Russia’s invasion on 24 February, leaving more than 20m tons of grain stuck in silos in the country.

Yesterday, Russia’s deputy foreign minister, Andrei Rudenko, said the Kremlin would allow ships carrying food to leave Ukrainian ports in exchange for the lifting of sanctions."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I am seriously worried for being warned for pointing obvious provocative behavior on thread.

Imagine there is discussion about women safety and accidents (rapes) and someone come with opinion like that:

"we cannot put the blame solely on this man. We cannot forget that this woman is a failed state. There are numerous factors that have contributed to this rape."

There are no "factors" to advocate either rape or war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

All true but all is fair in war.We should have no illusions about the gang in Russia.

We should however harbour plenty of blame and scorn for those who parrot their lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is the procedure for making a complaint about perceived bad moderation?

In the other forums I frequent this cannot be done within the thread and you have to bring it up in a separate place on the site.

You are correct the main highway is still open to Siversk from Bakhmut. But one route out of Lysychansk with its narrow back roads would involve a similar sitting duck situation that the Russians experienced with the convoy outside Kiev at the start of the conflict. The time for a retreat has passed.

In the absence of a retreat I think you are being very optimistic about the several weeks timeline. That amount of time would give the Ukrainian forces time to receive the weapons currently being transported from the west which is something the Russians will be well aware of. Time will tell if you are correct but from what I've read about the Ukrainian battalions morale and video statements I think the area will be fully surrounded a lot sooner than your estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

"Remember that roughly half of the Ukrainian population consider themselves Russian so it makes no sense that they would take joy in this."

Do you have evidence to back up your claim that 50% of Ukrainian nationals consider themselves Russian?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Saying russian speaking Ukrainians consider themselves Russian is like saying English speaking Irish people consider themselves English. Utter reductionist codswallop from someone clearly ignorant of Ukrainian history. And peddling the "historical Russia" angle, revealing their bias.

As my Russian speaking colleague replied when I asked after his welfare after fleeing Kyiv, he'd defend his country if he has to, if the call came. Russia is not wanted. They invaded Ukraine. Let them be sent packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

Remember that roughly half of the Ukrainian population consider themselves Russian...

False

From the website below:

"This is a recurring pro-Kremlin propaganda narrative about Ukraine's alleged ban of the Russian language and ubiquitous Russophobia"

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/report/half-of-ukrainians-consider-themselves-russian-despite-active-anti-russian-brainwashing

• Advertisement

Apologies. I worded that incorrectly. I meant to refer to the current main theater of war in Donbass. Thanks for pointing it out.

The query still stands, do you have any evidence that 50% of some unquantifed number of Ukrainian nationals, consider themselves Russian?

Not recognised by the OSCE, you'll need better 'evidence' than that.

Wikipedia. I see.

Enough said.

Secondarily, are you seriously expecting anyone to believe the outcome of a referendum held by Russia?

This is preposterous nonsense. Nothing, absolutely nothing that the current Russian regime says, can be considered truthful.

On the "evidence" presented, it is safe to conclude that your assertion is balderdash.

Ah lads/lassies come on. Wikipedia if anything is anti Russian in its censorship. Its not as though I quoted RT or Sputnik.

Tough crowd.

It wasn't held by Russia it was held by the Donetsk Peoples Republic. Here is CNN reporting on it in a (vary rare for them) balanced way. It was a different world 8 years ago.

The title of the piece you quoted to support your claim that it was a valid referendum was, "Ukraine heads for rogue referendum".

Do you think that was accurate?

• Advertisement

CNN's banner writers were not the subject of the discussion we were having. It was obviously a symbolic referendum and a way for the people of the region to tell Kiev that they wanted to be the bridge between Russia and the Ukraine. At that point in 2014 before the civil war intensified they saw themselves as being Autonomous. Something the incumbent Kiev regime did not want to accommodate.

If it was held today after all that has happened over the last 8 years they would no doubt vote to leave Ukraine.

Advertisement