Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

And the handling of the situation will be investigated. They’d be under more criticism had they let in the hysterical parents and allowed for more casualties. It likely comes back to not having appropriate resources and training in place.

It’s like people just want to blame everyone and everything right now just to vent their anger..

Yeah it'll be investigated, no-one will suffer any consequences and nothing will change. I live in Ireland, I know how it works.

Point was we had a whole bunch of good guys with guns who stood around refusing to do anything and preventing anyone else from doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Is it not the point though that this sort of reoccurring incident means that America ISN'T civilised?

And considering there is a better chance of me going to the moon as there is of gun reform in America, something which seems extreme by rest of the world standards is the only option.

It seems the gunman got a head start on the cops- even a strong door with an armed presence the other side could have (note I didn't say would have) prevented what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The parents only wanted to go in because the same police were doing absolutely nothing to help their children who were being murdered at the time, in a manner where they needed DNA testing to identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Arming teachers isn't exactly "a gun free zone". My point stands.

• Advertisement

Right, but if everyone jumps on the anti-police bandwagon as usual, and the teacher is the exact person in this scenario who needed a gun in this barricaded room since the police were useless, isn't it an argument for armed teachers?

I don't particularly believe that, but it is the obvious takeaway from posters saying the police were useless. Wasn't it police that risked their lives and killed him? But now we're just supposed to shlt all over them while saying they're the solution? Banning guns isn't the solution. You cannot remove every gun from America before the next school shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Of course it could have prevented what happened. But I think anyone with even half a brain would agree that the solution to gun problems is not and should never be more guns.

The extreme number of guns coupled with their easy availability in the US IS the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Christy42

How the hell do you expect a teacher to be more effective than trained police officers? If the police don't stand a chance then a teacher, who is presumably spending more time trying to be a good teacher than training firearms, will have no shot.

Also are you paying for the teachers to be armed? Have some training because right now they don't have enough funding for being teachers but hey let's make them do the cop's job as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

America as a society is gone in the head. It's eating itself from within. Wealth grabs by the rich, a polarisation of politics, economic decline, societal decline. It's an empire in its final stages, before it's final descent into either civil war or a breakup of the country. Simple as that.

Forget baseball, mass shootings are the true American past-time. Every few days now. The main sports don't even have as many games in a year as there are mass shootings. It's their national sport at this stage.

And while the Democrats are at best a party confused with itself and all over the place, the Republicans have to bear the brunt of the blame for this madness as they're the ones who have pushed and campaigned for this madness for so long. and it's got the point that the only way it'll ever be solved is if there's quite a good few mass shootings at Republican political rallies forcing them to react.

The shooter barricaded himself in a room with a teacher and students. Obviously the teacher having a gun would have been ideal when the police were too busy outside tasering parents to help.

• Advertisement

But there were three armed law enforcement officers there, far more trained than any teacher would be, and they were absolutely useless. We see time and time again that more 'good guys with guns' is nearly always ineffective.

The Republicans argue that gun control measures wouldn't solve all mass shootings with guns but peddle solutions, like this one, that would solve even fewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

A horde of emotional people in the building would have made the whole situation worse, and you know that yourself. There is no point reasoning with someone who is in a state of panic.

If the well trained and armed police officers were useless then what evidence would a less well trained and armed teacher be better than the cops? That point makes no sense.

Yes, cops decided to risk themselves after standing by and listening to kids being murdered for an hour. They don't get a round of applause for doing their job an hour late. If they don't want to risk their lives they shouldn't sign up to be cops.

Who said removing every gun from America? This isn't doing everything or nothing. For example, this mass shooting would have been much more difficult to occur if it wasn't easier for an 18 year old to buy an AR-15 and hundreds of rounds of ammunition than it is for them to buy a beer.

So the police can't help, armed school police can't help, the only problem is guns, and there's nothing anyone can do.

Well that's every American school shooting so par for the course. That's about all the conversation that's to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

I am not advocating to let emotional people in the building, I am advocating for the police to do their jobs and go in themselves. Look at how well armed they are.

It is completely understandable that the group was even more emotional and driven to act themselves when they see their police force stand around while their children are being murdered.

Ben Shapiro is right; better to emulate what the Jewish community has successfully done for decades in protecting schools from outside threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Well you can't really base an argument on a mistake that should never have happened. I find it hard to believe that the armed response were fumbling around for 40mins while looking for a key to open the door. There must be more to it. Either way I'm sure most agree that police should be better trained to respond

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's all about the mé féin, fvck everyone else.

Isn't that the central Tenet of American Conservatism though?

"I don't want to spend a penny of my hard earned money on anyone else , I've got mine so F*ck you"

They want to cut taxes and government spending on everything because the very idea of shared societal responsibility disgusts them.

But, they are "God Fearin' Christians" though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Has it been stated yet why the police didn’t or wouldn’t go in?

Genuine question because I can’t understand why any officer worth his or her salt would stand idly by while children are being murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's worse than you think. The CDC were barred from doing research into gun violence by a succession of US governments. Gun lobby can't have that. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/27/health/cdc-gun-research-walensky/index.html

It's still tiny amounts of money on the USG scale of things, but better than doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Christy42

Oh there is a lot that can be done. Gun control legislation needs to be brought in and the NRA's gun fetish propoganda needs to be countered. This gun worship seems to mix badly with mental health issues that don't materialise in other countries. Even those with guns.

Obviously mental health services need to be upgraded but that needs to be done anyway.

Other countries avoid this issue without turning schools into fortresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ah this have armed people in the school is the most American argument I’ve ever heard. They see it as a solution not an interim measure while things are sorted. It’s all horse ****, eventually the guy behind the door will get shot in one of these and more absolute assholes will say to put an armed man behind a door behind the armed man behind the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What's a gun nut, someone who owns a gun?

This won't make me popular on this thread but I can understand why the US gun lobby and many US gun owners don't want to give an inch.

My sport (shooting) here in Ireland is constantly being chipped away at through National and EU legislation. Laws are regularly introduced here that take something away from law abiding firearms owners or impose certain restrictions/requirements on them. It's death by 1000 cuts here in Ireland.

I do think that the US system is too lax. Not everybody should have access to guns. I'm in favour of background checks, sales only through registered dealers etc.

Another gripe I have, as a law abiding gun owner, is the argument that gun owners don't care about children. It's been said loads of times in this thread. That's a pile of sh1te to be honest. Loving your children and owning a gun aren't mutually exclusive activities. It's a ridiculous argument to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

What a stupid sweeping statement. America has a population of roughly 330 million, stretches from the frozen Arctic Circle to the sunny Everglades of Florida and Hawaii Islands in the pacific. People are risking life and limb daily to get there, millions are living there illegally including many Irish and fear being caught and deported......if it was such a dump would this be the case ??? America problem is that it's too democratic, too free, too tolerant - citizens have too many rights & freedoms and unfortunately certain deranged, mad, insane folk take advantage of this e.g. the Twin Towers bombers etc. same applies to guns.

Of course America has it's problems, it's not exactly Nirvana it's a melting pot of people and their cultures from all over the world and they seem to co exist peacefully 90% of the time. We may not like to admit it, but the rest of the free world depend on them to defend our way of life, our freedom, our democracy - they are currently pumping billions of dollars into Ukraine and keeping the likes of China in check. I guess they're the best of a generally bad lot compared for example the wimpish EU etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It blows my mind that some people are proposing arming teachers. It's insane. Their focus should solely be on educating the children but they're not even allowed to that properly now thanks to constant interference from Republicans. But hey let's them give them a gun so they'll spend their time worrying about whether they'll be mentally strong enough to confront a gunman if and when the time comes. If people genuinely see this as a solution, then they need their heads examined.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think the argument is "Anti-Police" though.

It's making the point that the Good Guys with Guns" argument trotting out by the NRA and their bought and paid for GOP mouthpieces is not the solution.

I'm going to bet that the police in that situation were following official procedure - "Guy with large guns in an enclosed space , you call for backup and wait for them to arrive whilst securing the perimeter".

Unless every one of the "Good Guys with guns" are members of a highly trained SWAT type group, all the evidence would suggest that they are not the solution here.

A middle aged lady (because that is what most teachers are) with a Glock in the desk drawer isn't going to stop a guy with multiple rapid fire high velocity weapons , no matter how much people might wish that that might be true.

Ah yes...

Just forget trying to solve the root cause , let's turn every school into a high security Prison facility - That's the trick.

Maybe they could outsource the work to a nice GOP Campaign contributor that is already running some For Profit prisons - Bonus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's nonsense. As the effectiveness of the weapons widely available to the US public increases, what next? Grenade launchers? And notice the last 2 monsters wore body armor, enabling them to last longer. Someone posted some nutter on Fox going on about ballistic blankets in charming colours being deployed in classrooms as a solution.

As for 'improved mental health care,' please. Mental health care in most countries is very poor, Ireland's particularly bad at it. That's an endless sink of money, and you can't do much for gun violence without gun violence research, blocked by the gun lobby in the US. Can you hear the howls should you be required to pass a medical exam prior to owning an AR-15 or an AK-47 in the US? Or get a Dr. to sign off on you, no doubt the gun lobby will arrange for your exams (for a small fee of course.)

Depending if you believe a police officer on site, some cops didn't stand idly by, they went in and got their own kids out and left others to be murdered/

They were apparently waiting for a specific task force to arrive to storm the building, despite the fact they had dozens of cops there with military grade weapons and armor just standing around and tackling panicked parents to the ground.

Most cops aren't 'worth their salt', they aren't heroes like you see on TV or movies - they are just as cowardly as the general public and no matter of training will overcome that.

• Advertisement

I think most people can understand why the gun lobby and many gun owners don't want to give an inch - they are putting their self interests over the lives of others.

Loving your children and owning a gun aren't mutually exclusive activities but statistics in the US say you put your child in more risk by owning a gun.

Advertisement