Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

An armed teacher would be the first target for a gunman. With the element of surprise the teacher would have no chance. That this is even being considered is insane. Strong gun control is the only route in a country where self-regulation is utterly ineffective.

There are 400 million guns, so at this stage of their extreme obsession with guns, perhaps extreme solutions are warranted.

One thing is for certain, those 400 million guns (and rising fast) ain't going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Given the low number of these small schools vs the number of school shootings there is no evidence to point to this approach as being an actual solution.

Even if we take it as being a fix, can you please explain how this idea could possibly scale? It is like those who claim 'we did it in airports, why not in schools?' - it completely ignores the vastly larger population and budget required.

It is just another complete pipedream used to distract from even discussing any form of gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

100% agree with this.

It’s clear and obvious that a softly softly approach is not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If a softly softly approach isn't working, are you suggesting a harder approach? Such as? What realistic actions would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So police outside with higher powered weapons that can't be bought in a store, couldn't beat him in a firefight and couldn't even pin him down enough to stop him entering a school.

But a primary school teacher with a simple pistol stood a chance?

Delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

The fact that most people don't have guns in this country is a massive source of safety for it. I am sure laws go overboard and any law will effect law abiding shooters as well. It is going to be too hard to exactly separate those laws.

Also I really, really don't care. I would massively prefer we go overboard on gun laws than under shoot it. It is an annoyance and a grumbling point down the range when it goes too far and brings in something pointless and increases the risk of mass shootings when it doesn't go far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Why don’t you wait for official statements and an assessment first? I doubt the police were just standing around and not bothered. There is a chance the guy would have killed every person in the room and just “just” 21.

Why the rush to condemn everyone who ended up in the situation?

Mandatory registration of all firearms owned in the United States, no questions asked. Give a 3-year lead-in period. Individuals without a firearms certificate are not permitted to purchase any new weapons and cannot register more than one weapon. Some special exemptions for the ownership of antique weapons (manufactured before 1950, say). Mandatory wait periods, limits on the number of weapons someone can own without proof of competency, mandatory rules on securing firearms in the home, and especially in a vehicle.

Put aside a $2tn buyback fund where anyone can surrender any weapon and the federal government will exchange it for cash. Again, no questions asked.

After the 3-year period, being in possession of any firearm illegally becomes a federal offence and carries a $10k fine and 3 years in prison.

You know, common sense stuff that allows people to have guns for hunting, defence from large animals and sport shooting, without allowing any idiot anywhere to have a gun for the purposes of shooting other people.

Stringent background checks and psychological assessments for a start. No one should have the right to just walk into a shop and by a gun just like that without being checked out first.

Age restrictions and serious restrictions on who is allowed to apply for a gun permit and the reasons why one is granted are needed too.

And I would also like to see it be made illegal for ordinary civilians to have access to military grade weapons.

No one needs AR15s to defend themselves.

None of this is rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I don’t tend to be a very emotional person, outwardly at least, but it speaks volumes that when my girlfriend (who taught elementary in the US South for several years) explained to me the drills they do in schools for active shooter events I had tears in my eyes. The children are quite literally taught to run, and if they can’t run then to hide, and if they can’t hide — to fight. Little tiny children being told to fight ... against a grown up psychopath with an assault rifle. And for a teacher to have to explain this to children, in modern day America, is insane.

And this is the sum of the efforts of a country that deems itself the standard bearer of the free world? That rather than make any meaningful effort to mitigate the risk of a gunman ever being in a school, the insipid policy finds itself dribbling all the way down to a 7 year old child being their own last line of defence against a society, with all its intellect and wealth, which has utterly failed to protect them? A country where the amassing of weapons capable of efficient mass murder is for “self-defence”. A country where people tell you that their guns make them feel safe against the threat of a tyrannical government or apocalypse, to the point where they will favour the mitigation of these infinitesimally small risks over the mitigation of the quite literally daily risk of madmen roaming shops and schools with guns capable of mass murder.

There is no point in being unrealistic. The US is so awash with weaponry that it would likely take years to decommission the vast arsenal built versus a large group of the population who would be uncooperative. Guns will be in US society for a long time to come. But my God it’s the complete lack of effort, the excuse-making, the whataboutery, the warped view of freedom, the bizarre justifications and the conspiracy theorising to avoid doing anything, anything at all meaningful about it — it’s just shameful.

If a crazed maniac was in your home intent on killing you and your family, would you so no to a simple pistol? Just because the police were outside?

You can argue against guns in schools whilst also admitting that a teacher having a gun pointed at a door while their class hides could help. Just like you can argue against gun ownership in Ireland while admitting that in certain scenarios, it might save someone.

What you're doing is over-validating your opinion. Your opinion is absolutely fine and valid without mocking the notion that any teacher could ever kill a school shooter. It's a completely ludicrous assertion that just because police outside didn't stop them, a civilian inside also couldn't. They are inside the rooms that the shooter is targeting.

Guns are the great leveler. Of course they might help. You can still say no to the idea while acknowledging it and arguing for gun reform. But that's too grey apparently. To make a point, one must argue 100% against guns, and must argue that 0% of teachers could effectively use one.

Not sure background checks are that helpful.

It's very easy for a psychopathic manipulator to have a clean and perfect background, yet still access these weapons easily.

Isn’t it better to at least try implementing measures to stop this happening again than sit around wringing hands and offering prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is as of this year 22 million AR-15 style weapons in legal circulation in the USA. 22m for an adult population of about 260m, insane. That's only one style of gun albeit the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah here, no one is demonising you for owning a gun, get over yourself.

People are discussing, and rightly so, the issue of gun violence, gun availability and the ease at which someone can get guns in the USA. It's not a problem here and I have no issue with gun ownership in Ireland as the regulations around it are tight enough to drastically reduce the chances of the violence we see elsewhere.

America, however, has a massive problem. It's not one single issue either. For such a diverse country they have a 2 party system with many, many people feeling left behind and not truely represented.

As a result of this you have a media that pits people against each other for their own financial gain.

Then there is a healthcare system that is completely broken and that is massively detrimental to the mental health of their citizens (veterans in particular are at huge risk of physical and mental issues yet are left on their own).

An education system that is being stripped apart piece by piece and clear and obvious systemic racism within the country, whether or not the average everyday American is racist or not the social system itself is 100% designed to keep minorities and the poor in a spiral of despair, poverty and drug abuse.

Finally we have not only the ease of obtaining guns but how affordable they can be. A handgun can be bought for around $100 upwards, an AR for around $1000. Cheaper and arguably easier than getting a car on the road.

I have nothing against shooting as a sport, I enjoy it myself. I've been to gun ranges in America for both fun and work. I've had a lot of fun, it's a controlled environment and safe. That's not the concern and I haven't really seen anyone on here make it out like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm fine wth stringent background checks.

I don't know how you would logistically do the psychological assessments but I'm not totally against them. I think these would only filter out a very small percentage of the nut jobs as how can a psychologist know what's going on inside your head based on a short meeting. I don't think it's practical to do detailed psychological testing on up to 100 million people.

There are already age restrictions in place. You have to be 18 to buy a gun as far as I'm aware.

Regarding the reasons for a gun permit, everyone will just put down 'self-defence' as that's a valid reason in the US so it would just become a tick box exercise and achieve nothing.

I'm fine with civilians not having access to military grade weapons. The AR15 is not a military grade firearm. It's similar in looks but not in action. It's a semi-auto firearm whereas military weapons are mostly fully auto or burst fire.

You are correct, you don't need an AR15 to defend yourself, but they are very effective when it comes to defending oneself. They also have many other uses such as hunting and target shooting.

What are you talking about - waiting for a whitewashed internal 'statement' or 'assessment'? Like the one released in the last few weeks that claimed officers didn't search the bags of black kids on a sports team coming back from a game when there was video evidence that they did?

Why the rush to defend a group that shows itself time and again to be full of people who are incompetent, cowardly, and liars?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not only that, he won't even be able to legally have a bottle of beer for another 3 years.

What fucking country. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People can write whatever gun control fanfiction they like, none of that is getting past the 2nd amendment and the politicians campaigning for gun control aren't going to try to repeal that as if the Democrats did they could lose support in the swing states. They just use vague terms like common sense gun control as if they actually had to spell it out it'd be clear it'd not be legal.

• Advertisement

If a crazed maniac was in your home intent on killing you and your family, would you so no to a simple pistol? Just because the police were outside?

Non-sequiter.

As I said earlier, you're talking about zero-effort solutions that don't work. It's the same "good guy with a gun" nonsense that's been peddled over and over and never changed a thing.

There's a reason why burglaries that end in murder are so rare in Europe and comparatively high in the US. Especially considering that there are less burglaries per capita in the US. Because burglars feel threatened.

If a crazed maniac breaks into my house intent on killing me and my family, and he knows that I probably have a gun, then he's going to put a bullet in my head before I have time to react.

Of course, here in Ireland there's very little chance that I have a gun, so a crazed maniac is going to take his time, if that's what he's going to do.

If a crazed maniac was in your home intent on killing you, would you rather he just dropped you straight away, or would you rather have the chance to talk him down?

The argument that, "If teachers had a gun, it might save some lives", ignores the fact that if teachers carried guns, it could cost far more lives than it potentially saves. The existence of weapons during an standoff escalates it immediately.

To your point on age restrictions - how can anyone possibly justify laws that say that at 18 years of age you are not old enough to by a beer but you can buy a deadly weapon?

It’s absolutely ludicrous. And it needs to change. If you’re too young to drink you’re too young to handle a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

18 to buy an assault riffle and 500 rounds of live ammunition.

21 to buy tobacco and alcohol. (and I mean it is seriously enforced too)

Its the dumbest country in the world, run by lobbyists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly. The 2nd Amendment states that a "well regulated militia" go hand in hand with the right to bear arms. It never meant for every Tom, Dick and Harry to own machine guns. There's bugger all that's "regulated" about that.

Are there statistics for teachers talking school shooters out of what they were about to do? I've no idea if there has been much success in that since they're usually such a planned event.

Frankly, I'm a teacher and when I'm writing these posts, I'm imagining myself in any of my classes and hearing gunshots and screams. Even with only firing a rifle a couple of times in my life, I would far prefer to have a gun to protect my class than not. Most people here would.

It would just be nice if we could split the possible effectiveness of a teacher having a gun from the argument about whether or not they should have them. I really and truly have no time for people who go completely overboard to try and validate their side of the argument. It's immature to not give an inch in an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

It isn't a serious suggestion. It is only getting mentioned because Republicans desperately need to talk about anything except gun control. It is like Fox news blaming parents for picking a school that wasn't defensible enough.

Do you want all teachers armed. Just those that have them? A special role for a few teachers? Do you have specific places in all classrooms for guns to be safely stored (keeping in mind teachers may need to leave the room for a second and the room is full of potential shooters)?

Are we increasing taxes for this? Teachers aren't being given the resources to actually teach at the moment so I have no idea how you suddenly pumping money into schools now. I guess the opportunity to sell more guns would help loosen Republic purse strings...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah, so tax the living daylights out of ammunition and of military grade weapons.

Think outside the damn box and stop saying that the solutions are either arm the teachers or turn schools into prisons at a massive cost to the budgets (which the Republicans would NEVER approve of anyway).

Its all distractions from the NRA and the GOP and you’re falling for it.

I'm not arguing in favour of it. I'm arguing against the idea that they could never be useful.

You know, because I have a brain and am capable of complex thought processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Ben Shapiro is rarely, if ever right. Many, many schools in America have similar measures but still have school shootings. Instead of actually trying to deal with the problem you're just adding more possibility for human error. We've already seen the police who responded to this shooting show up (armed to the teeth along with that) and make no effort to enter the building and instead spent their time setting up barriers.

Ben's proposal means that you have to rely on one or a few security guards not absolutely bottling it if something happens and there is no guarantee of that. Not to mention a well planned attack will still cause mayhem, if more limited. Increasing militarisation of schools will only increase the firepower and methods of would-be attackers. You're still not dealing with the root causes for these attacks.

• Advertisement

AR15 are far more effective in a mass murder situation than they are at defending oneself in their own home in the hands of most people, the opposite being the case for a handgun. Both can be 'effective' in either situation.

Also, your question regarding testing people doesn't stand up to any scrutiny either - they are well able to test people regarding their ability to drive. The fact it takes far more to be allowed legally drive a car than a gun is again complete insanity.

Advertisement