Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

We are talking about Ireland ... where you live is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

You're not stepping up and representing though, you'll lose your corner to other dealers very quickly in this hood!

Jesus might think you're too weak for the cause anymore.

He might even bring it up at the deathbed scene, you know what He's like.

He's a stickler for the rules, because it's in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

Actually where you live is very material Shoog, and where I live is strongly Christian , Protestant and Catholic, and very recently Muslim too.

Oh the wit !!! Unbelievable. You should be on TV.....🤣 ( but dont give up the day job, going by the nr of likes you are getting) LOL😂

It's a gift, given by god.

Opened by me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I made a fairly innocuous comment on the belief system of another poster, a belief system that my wife and her many of her family also share. I'm intimately familiar with that belief system having grown up in it myself. Although I don't share those beliefs, I certainly don't loathe them and recognize that there are elements of those beliefs that offer comfort and support to believers, particularly at difficult moments in their lives. That belief system is something you clearly detest and causes you distress. I suggest you simply ignore it if it's adversely impacting your mental health to that extent.

With respect to your second paragraph, it's futile moaning to me about the scenarios you've outlined. I'm not a change agent and am relatively content with the status quo. Why don't you do something tangible to act as a catalyst for change? Would you consider entering public life and campaigning on that platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I made an innocuous comment back, not even directed at you, and now I end up having abusive comments fired at me. Not good.

I regard Cathlicism, Christianity, etc. etc. belief systems as rather very silly, but all sorts of people believe in all sorts of silly things.

I do detest, however, what churches and the Catholic Church in particular have done in this country to cause needless misery to so many people. The RCC is still trying to drag this whole society backwards using the taxes we all pay and the laws we must all abide by.

That's not moaning at you it's setting out what I think. It's a discussion forum for goodness sake, not a private conversation.

But I suggest if you don't like reading replies from me to your posts, then stop replying to me. Especially if you're not going to remain civil.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Abusive comments? Cop on to yourself.

So basically, you’ll continue whining on an obscure website, with ever declining active user counts, but you aren’t prepared to take a stand, to act as agent for the societal change, you so desperately desire. That attitude is the very definition of inertia.

G’luck!

Oh, I know what He is like house,,,,do you?? No,,,,,,I guess not.. But anyway, no worries😀

Where did I say any of that? Nowhere.

It's like you're arguing with yourself.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Oh the wit !!! Unbelievable. You should be on TV.....🤣 ( but dont give up the day job, going by the nr of likes you are getting) LOL😂

Good man! That's a very telling little dig right there in brackets.

Likes are important to you.

It partly helps to explain the WHY you have faith and I don't.

Jesus loves you and will take care of you for all eternity is a very compelling pitch to you. It's no wonder that you accept on faith alone that the bible is true, Why bother to look too deeply into it and risk losing that warm comforting feeling of letting Jesus take care of you, projecting your worries onto him as a coping tool in moments of stress.

The Lol at the end of your message helps to explain a few things too.

You assume that I can't read or something? His adverts are everywhere.

I know of him.

I have read the debate about the pro and cons of the source material, read about the politics involved in selecting what to include in the bible, the different factions and where they ended up, how the question on whether Jesus was "made" or "begotten" was finally settled, and so on and so forth. Fascinating stuff that leads down interesting rabbit holes.

I've read about other religions and their sources too.

I believe in none of them

I assume nothing house, especially about people on forums. So you did some research ( fair play to you for that ) and you arrived at the conclusion that it was all a scam. Jesus did not die on the Cross, or rose from the dead after three days. Well good for you!! Thankfully we live in a society where you can make your own choices where religion is concerned. But why the critical and negative comments directed at people who do believe? Just an auld bit of fun like ??? But anyway, life goes on...,😊

We read the same material and came to wildly different conclusions, but the Christians seem to see no need to wonder why that should be, while atheists do.

So its all right for you to make snide references and insinuations about drug dealing corners? But its not OK for me to reply in kind???? But as for relying on Him, sure I do. And will to the end of my days, and very happy to do it.

Oh, and one other thing, what conclusions did you draw from the smiley icon??? Just curious, I don't really care one way or the other. But heres another one for you..😁

You're not cut out for this game, a rote Christian! raised on slogans - He died and rose again

Your question asking to prove the non existence of god shows the level you're at.

And the cries of abuse confirms it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Abuse neither confirms nor denies the existence of God. It just shows how depraved some individuals are/were.

Try again.

@housetypeb Even though he's been dishing out snide little digs all thread along the lines of you must be an atheist because "something happened to you" or "something is wrong with you" 🙄

T'was a lot easier for them back when all doubters and dissenters could just be silenced, permanently if necessary... 🔥🔥💀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Though just to be clear, he won’t take care of me for all eternity if a masturbate, a feature of the human body he created. He will condemn me to fiery hell for all eternity if I use this one particular feature of the body he designed.

Well Hotblack, seems to be a lot of non-believers taking "Digs and aiming smart comments" at Christianity here on the forum, ( and me personally) and I'm curious to know what drives them to use their time and energy do something like that when they profess to have no interest in the subject????.....just boredom? or is just a hobby with them? As in " lets go on Boards and annoy the Christians?" You've already said that you have no problem's with any religion, as long as it's not taught in the schools, so that's fair enough. And like wise, I can understand people who were abused by Priests and other Religious in schools etc. reacting like that to any mention of religion, that's very understandable. I was taught by the CBS for many years myself, and I don't need anyone to tell me what they were like. And the reason I ask questions, is to try and understand the motivation. Its not a statement of fact implying any fault on the posters side, and neither is it done in a derogatory manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

For someone who is teaching and encouraging forgiveness he sure does hold a grudge doesn't he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you look back at what I have said its a about the religion rather than the person. General observation about the lack of critial analysis about their beliefs.

What I have noticed is that believers expect deference to their beliefs and feel persecuted when they don't it.

I also think it's important work to attack the malign impacts of religion where ever they appear.

And equally praise the positive impacts where they appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What positive impacts of religion? There are certainly good things done by those who believe, just as there are good things done by those of other religions and those of none.

People should be praised for doing good things, of course, not sure religion has much to do with it.

Ask the believers that do such good things what part religion had played in them doing such good deeds.

Peter McVerry, Bro. Kevin, just to name two well known religious who do good.

I already said that religious people do good. And so do non religious and people who have other religious beliefs, So it would seem that religion is not the reason for doing good.

Do you think there are no good deeds done in muslim countries, or India. Do you think that only religious orders do good work?

Why would I ask believers? They are just going to say its because of their belief in God, and just like you are not going to ask themselves any questions. It simply backs up their own bias.

The real question is how can other believers, like the priests who rape children, can do such a thing when obviously their faith makes them inherently good.

Now you are going off on so many tangents, you're beginning to confuse yourself. I never said that it was only catholic religious that did good deeds. I am indeed aware of many religious of different denominations and belief systems who do excellent work in terms of healthcare, fighting famine, fighting poverty, providing humanitarian relief in war-torn countries. I simply provided the names of two people in Ireland who would be well known for their good work, and who are religious.

Many, if not most, would say religion is either a sole or great motivator for them in their doing good works.

Why should you ask believers? Because they would be able to speak from their own experience. I'd rather you ask them than depend of me for my opinion and then tell me I don't know what's in the mind of others.

Bias? Like your anti-religious bias? ok ...

I never said that religion makes people inherently good. It doesn't. But equally so, it doesn't make people inherently evil either. Would you agree on that point?

This is the your reply that I was commenting on:

And equally praise the positive impacts where they appear?

My point being, as you have accepted but seemingly need to argue anyway, is that it isn't religion that is the basis for good deeds, as evidenced by the many non religious and other religions that do good deeds. Why not ask the believers? Because they of course will say it is because of religion, and do so without any review of the clear evidence that good deeds do not need religion.

If you found out tonight that God didn't exists, are you really thinking that you would never do another good deed?

I never said you need religion to do good. Of course you don't. There are countless people who do so much good, and have no belief in God at all.

But many of those who are religious and do good works, would claim that religion and their belief is what motivates them. You might suggest this is a bias - and yes, in your mind it would be, just as your bias against religion.

"If you found out tonight that God didn't exists, are you really thinking that you would never do another good deed?" - I have yet to be persuade that God doesn't exist, so any answer to that would be silly.

Let's turn it around instead, and ask me if I never had a religious bone in my body, nor a belief in the divine, would I do good deeds? I would like to think I would. But then again, I cannot answer this question in an impartial manner because I do believe in God. And what's wrong with that? Irrespective of the motivation, the most important ting is that good is done. Would you agree?

• Advertisement

You do know. You are inherently good, as are the vast amount of people. The very fact that you can't even bring yourself to say that you yourself are good is quite telling. It is an aspect of religion that really bothers me. The feeling that people are not inherently good and need religion to make them do good things.

"If you found out tonight that God didn't exists, are you really thinking that you would never do another good deed?" - I have yet to be persuade that God doesn't exist, so any answer to that would be silly. Earlier in this thread you said that at one point you lost your faith. So you know the answer to this. Where you incapable of doing good deeds during this time of lost faith?

But many of those who are religious and do good works, would claim that religion and their belief is what motivates them. Many serial killers claim that their mother told them to do it. So what? What they claim is not backed up by any evidence. Religion may play a part in their lives, but it is the same as saying that someone who does good deeds only does it because they follow Liverpool!

I would fully agree that the good deed is the most important, and I am perfectly fine with people claiming that religion is the root cause of that good deed. However, one must then be prepared to accept that religion is the root cause of bad deeds. The locking up of pregnant unmarried girls, the crusades, Spanish inquisition. The protection of rapists to protect the church.

Advertisement