Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I never once said arming teachers or turning schools into prisons were solutions.

I absolutely do not agree with any of the Republicans fanciful responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Someone said they can't control guns so America should focus preventing the things that cause people to go on rampages in the first place

Thats nuts IMHO

if I see my kid chasing someone down the road with a knife, sure, it's a big indication that there's something very wrong with my kid that I need to address, but the very first thing I need to do is take the knife off them, and then lock up all knives that they might have access to in future

It can take years to address emotional problems in a single individual, if that's even possible. Addressing them 'as a society' takes generations, especially in a place like America that has deeply rooted divisions, politically, economically, racially, theologically....

Fixing society is not an easier solution than just improving gun control.

Make assault weapons illegal, buy back all legally held weapons at a fair price. Announce that any weapons not returned by x date are now in breach of the law, and impose significant fines for every month after the deadline the weapons are not returned along with heavy fines for being found in possession of these weapons

Will the NRA go nuts? yes. Will there be protests? Yes

Will some of those protests turn violent? Probably, Domestic terrorists won't like having their guns taken from them.

But 20k gun deaths a year... thousands of school shootings?

The people of Ukraine are dying to protect their children from Russia. If America are not prepared to stand up to the terrorists inside their own borders, then they are nothing more than cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fights in family homes lead to broken bones are most? That is an exceptionally bad take. Maybe have a look at the extent of domestic violence, spousal homicide, Familicide, etc before you make such claims. I mean that as politely, it's stggering the extent that people are blind to it. In the vast majority of cases there no firearms involved.

Have there been times when a fights escalated and somebody was shot. Sure. I suspect it happens nore with knives, or household tools more often. I assume you don't have knives or tools in your home?

I think hurling has hand Zero deaths in the last 100 years (might be wrong), basketball certainly Zero, motorsport (actually another stupid sport).

Well yes you are wrong actually. Took two seconds of google to find two separate incidients. Didn't need to go back 100 years. No doubt there are many more.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20150129.html

100s die on the roads. Do you also hate cars and blame anyone who owns them for all drunk drivers?

But my point had nothing to do with deaths. You said Targetshooting is a childish sport as there is not point to it. I'm simply pointing out that the point to it is the exactly same as archery or darts, and has as much a point as football, hurling, golf, or rugby. No sport has a point. It's something people do as a hobby. For enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm fine with mandatory registration of firearms. It won't happen of course. Or maybe it will happen with new firearms but many people who own the 400 million plus firearms already in circulation won't register them.

I agree with the mandatory wait periods. Will it stop psychos, I'm not so sure. It might stop an odd one. They can plan their attack and do it after the mandatory waiting period expires. That said, I'm in favour of the mandatory wait period.

I also agree with the mandatory rules on securing firearms in the home. Not sure a safe will work as it's hard to get to your gun quickly when it's in a safe. If self-defence wasn't a reason, I'd be 100% behind having a safe.

What would a gun buyback achieve? I think the buyback fund would result in some sh1t guns being surrendered, and potentially that money might be used to buy new guns. I've eight guns. If there was a government buy-back scheme, I wouldn't sell any of them to the government. I don't see a buyback scheme achieving much.

Like I said, I think the US system is too lax, but it's very hard to put the genie back in the bottle at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do people actually use an AR-15 for hunting??, spraying bullets into a deer is hardly sport. 18 is too young to own one of these, in fact any gun. Banning the sale of these weapons is whats needed but theres zero hope of that. The loathsome Ted Cruz was on TV being grilled as to why these school shootings only happen in America, he waffled on about how the Democrats proposals wouldn't have stopped the shooter, accused the sky reporter of a political agenda and then went onto say that America is one of the safest countries in the world, a day after 21 were shot dead in a school!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

its more likely they would take your gun and shoot you with it than you successfully use it

theres no grey area, arming the teachers is beyond stupid, its not an action movie

its no less stupid than having armed guards outside, all you have to do is shoot the guard outside and in you go, they aren't superman

or what would happen is youd have the guard outside hiding too (which has happened), trying not to get killed themselves or a dead guard

Who put the idea of killing 5 year olds is an even bigger question than the gun madness, it makes no sense

Like you can sort of understand the twisted idea of revenge on your own teachers peers bullies etc, but he was 18, why the kids school

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Statistically the only argument here is the fact that there is a direct correlation globally between the % of teachers that carry guns in the classroom, and the number of children shot in a classroom.

That is, in places where teachers are armed in the classroom, a lot more children are shot dead in the classroom.

It doesn't matter what the link is, it's bare evidence that armed teachers do not prevent dead children.

Whatever may make you may personally feel safe is irrelevant. Statistically having a gun won't make you any safer. In fact, it increases your chances of dying quite a bit.

Having a gun for self-protection is a bit like open relationships. Lots of people think it's a really good idea that'll make them happy, but 9 times out of 10 when they do it they end up shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I think if you are going to advocate this though, you have to bring this right down to the nitty gritty reality of what it actually means in daily practice. Firstly, what you are saying means a teacher has to have a gun in the classroom at all times. We are talking about Miss Jones sitting there teaching a group of 7 year olds some songs, with a gun on her person or in a drawer. Now, setting aside the base level insanity of that, as I mentioned in my previous post, my girlfriend taught Elementary in the US for three years, the very thought of her having to pull out a feckin Nine or a pump shotgun and actually use it with potential lethal force is, well, if you know any other young primary school teacher in their mid twenties, it’s a fairly mad prospect.

Then there is the question of what the policy is — what responsibility does the teacher have? If the guy bursts through and the teacher has a panic attack or a moment of hesitation, them being a teacher after all and not a Navy Seal, and children get killed — is the teacher to be blamed for not taking the scumbag down? So should teachers receive arms training including how to shoot to kill?

I do take your point that in that final moment where an armed whackjob is coming through the door, a gun gives you a better chance to save people than a broomstick. But you have to think of what you are advocating here precisely in terms of how it is underpinned by policy — and the everyday policy to implement this seems a bit bonkers.

The 8 guns does show how few households in ireland have a gun in reality

its already been done in other countries

if the government made 3 of your guns illegal, would you do the buy back

what is needed is the more liberal states to move forward and leave the hick ones to it, I mean they are already doing this, most have tighter laws already

a long wait time would put people off plus restrictions on what can be bought and reasons for buying, who can buy, ages etc

What would a gun buyback achieve? I think the buyback fund would result in some sh1t guns being surrendered, and potentially that money might be used to buy new guns. I've eight guns. If there was a government buy-back scheme, I wouldn't sell any of them to the government. I don't see a buyback scheme achieving much.

Many people would be more than happy to get a bit of a cash for a weapon, especially if they can hand it over no questions asked. A buyback is a really easy way to reduce the volume of weapons sloshing around. There are plenty of weapons just sitting around in the US, old sports relic, hand-me-downs, inheritances. One day they'll be stolen or lost and end up in the hands of criminals. Better they get sold and destroyed. "Cash in the attic" for many Americans.

Along with the rest of the measures, you wouldn't be permitted to have 8 weapons without licencing and training appropriate to that level of weapon ownership, so you might find it less trouble to sell half of them and register the rest. Or if they have sentimental value, have them deactivated and certified.

If someone uses that cash to buy a new gun that's fine, because in order to do so they will have to be properly trained, licenced and registered from day one. In fact, someone selling a crappy old weapon to the feds and then "going legit" is ideal.

• Advertisement

I don't think all teachers should be armed. I am not actually advocating anything. I am simply on the fence about teachers being allowed to have their own guns in school in America. We've heard that the police were useless outside.

Why is it so hard to admit that a teacher with a gun could help while saying that it's not worth it. That's a mature and adult opinion. Mocking the idea that a primary school teacher could ever use a gun in an attempt to disparage the idea at all is an immature and childish way of arguing. Every student nowadays is taught how to argue the pros and cons of something, and then conclude with their opinion, but middle-aged men on boards? Nope. Not a chance of nuance. Not a chance of looking at every angle.

Yep, it needs to change. They should be let buy alcohol at 18, like in the rest of the civilised world.

Seriously though, 18 is the normal age for being allowed to purchase of firearms. You can actually get a training licence here at 14 and licence your own firearm here at 16. How many problems has this caused here in Ireland, zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Even the whitewashed version will be interesting to hear.

I have no interest in condemning or defending anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Think you really got to the nub of the point with the 'personally feel safe' bit.

This is mindset of many gun lovers - they 'feel' safer with guns despite statistics pointing to the opposite in most cases.

It gives them a false feeling of power and control and that they can solve the problem, when the extra person with the gun usually makes things worse by escalating things or accidentally shooting an innocent person, like a child or a cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I support background checks. They are already required in many states. I'm not sure psychological assessments would make a difference.

This shooter had no record and no mental health history. He would have likely passed both of those measures.

I agree regarding military grade firearms. They are banned in most states. The AR15 is not military grade. It has military styling, but functionally it works like a hunting rifle with a wooden stock. The trigger has to be pressed for every fire, its not automatic.

That's a mature and adult opinion.

Not really. All you're doing here is attempting to demean anyone who disagrees with you as being immature or unreasonable. The statistics do not back up any assertion that arming more civilians saves more lives. In fact, it points to the opposite.

In some instances, an individual with a gun may be capable of stopping a shooter. That's a truism. An individual without a gun may also be able to reason with a shooter. That is also a truism.

You're relying on the notion that you would feel safer if you had a gun. But the statistics explicitly show that you would actually be in greater danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

"A middle aged lady (because that is what most teachers are) with a Glock in the desk drawer isn't going to stop a guy with multiple rapid fire high velocity weapons , no matter how much people might wish that that might be true."

Yeah, she needs a bigger gun

and armour piercing rounds in case he's wearing kevlar, which he is likely to be knowing that all teachers have guns now

Maybe ceiling mounted turrets in all school rooms that can be remotely controlled, or even better, AI controlled.

Yes. this is the way to keep kids safe. laser turrets in every classroom that can automatically take out all school shooters before they get the first shot off.

God Bless America.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This "arm the teacher" thing is a load of old bollocks. The only thing that will happen there is that the teacher will be targeted first.

The line of thinking shouldn't be "arm the teacher", it should "don't arm the psycho".

because there are no pros to it

there are only negatives, it is only being bandied about by loons in an attempt to distract from the real issues

if everyone has a gun well there'd be less gun crime

oops, no more gun crime it is

Imagine if it was suggested here, we are going to get rid of the fire brigade, sure you all have taps in your houses anyway

Proximity mines on the classroom doors that detonate if someone's retina scan doesn't register properly.

That'll fix it.

The solution to violence is always more violence.

• Advertisement

I am struggling to see how those stats could exist outside of maybe home intruders using a person's gun against them. But a school shooter is armed and is shooting people.

Like the exact case we're talking about here was one class and one teacher, was it not? Like everyone died but you're saying it could have been even worse. I'm saying it could have been better. Who knows.

It's a psychological test we are talking about. There's no psychological test involved when it comes to drive a car. There's a memory test for remembering rules of the road etc. and there's a practical test. No psychological element to the testing. And the stuff when it comes to driving is pretty black and white. Not so simple when it comes to looking inside someone's head to figure out if they are likely to flip out or not.

I can't see US psychiatrists/psychologists/doctors wanting such a system either. Would they be open to be sued if one of them signed off that Mr. BattleCorp passed his psychological tests and then he went off and shot up a school?

I agree that your system over there is too lax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What you're admitting to here is basically trolling - you don't believe an argument, can provide no evidence to back up the argument when others are who disagree with you, and yet you continue to argue the point.

No one is saying in a given situation a teacher with a gun 'could help' through luck and stop a situation, similarly arming teachers with samurai swords or having all kids wear body armour 24/7 (but obviously never a mask) could stop certain situations.

The point people are making is that arming teachers is a shiny object thrown out by usually gun advocates that would make minimal benefit, with major potential downsides, and used to distract from gun control, which evidence points to being far more effective in stopping these school shootings.

Targeted first instead of the children? What is that a bad thing?

A gunman is in your school. He is approaching your classroom after killing others. Would you prefer to have a gun if you had the choice or do you think it would be ineffective / make the situation worse?

you or one of your family woud be more likely to be killed by accident with your own gun than to kill an intruder

and youd be a hell of a lot more likely to kill yourself or your family members on purpose than to ever stop an intruder

thats what would happen if you brought guns into the classroom also

Teachers can already bring their guns to class if they want to do that.

• Advertisement

What I would perfer is for a psychopathic teenager not to be able to purchase a small arsenal in the first place.

Advertisement