Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

And then, you're hiding with your class. Would you like to have a gun to point at the locked door, or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, to be fair, in my last paragraph I clearly did concede that a gun would be good to have in that moment — but my point focused more around the realities of how you build an everyday policy around that. It is obvious that if I am a teacher I would probably like to have a gun on me when Psycho is coming through the door, but as I said this means a policy being in place for how I am trained with that weapon, what I am expected to do with it, where I keep it (on my person, a locked safe etc). There are just so many questions as to expectations and practical realities.

So yes, a teacher with a gun might help in the isolated scenario, but how “worth it” that is versus the practicalities, ethics and general upholding of what school should be about for children is doubtful. I also think it’s probably a step in the wrong direction for a country where they should be doing more to tackle the root problem instead of trying to find flimsy simplistic solutions. If one day a teacher saved a group of kids using his gun in the school, one would feel ill-equipped to quibble over that, but then it leads to that “more guns is the answer” thinking that fuels the root cause of the very problem in the USA and their society’s unhealthy relationship with weaponry.

Right, but we're talking about America. Just answer the question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I worked with a South African for several years - he was an older, white guy.(for reference on his cultural background).Took no sh1t from anyone.And obviously SA has gun problems of its own, although at a different level to the USA.

In a random conversation one day, he said if you have a gun in SA, you damn well better be prepared to use it because if you pull it out and the other guy has a gun too, he will 100% use his first.

There is no way - none - that arming every one on the street and in the schools is going to prevent guns being used.Not a hope.

As I saw someone say the other day, if more guns was the answer, America would be the safest country on earth by now.It almost doesn't need to be said that this is clearly not the case.

It's a pointless argument at this stage.America doesn't want to listen, not even to its own people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Regarding a couple of points you made above:

Good luck getting laws on how many guns someone can own.

Good luck getting laws on mandatory training.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The type of testing is just being pedantic. If there was no such thing as a driving test and someone came up with the idea today there would plenty who would say it was impossible and that no one would sign off on someone's ability to drive in case they would be sued later.

Even if you deem a psychological test for everyone is too burdensome, you could instead target it towards those who have a flag come back on a background check that wouldn't necessarily stop them from buying a gun (maybe those who has been convicted of a violent crime are banned from owning a gun and those arrested for a violent crime need to do a psychological test). Everyone else does similar as is needed for a driving test - take a certain number of classes, have to do a test regarding gun safety, pass a test on a gun range.

There is always a reason why doing anything regarding gun control would be difficult and by god those who owns guns like to point out every single wrinkle there might be as to why not to even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

Regarding the safe, I think it’s reasonable that a lawful gun owner be responsible for the gun at all times. If they want to have the gun close to them while they’re in the premises then that’s ok as long as they assume responsibility.

If they’re leaving without the gun then it needs to be secured somewhere like a safe. If they leave it somewhere easily accessible by someone who then uses it to commit a crime then they should be held partly responsible.

well seeing as the police couldn't get through the door, I wouldnt need a gun would I?

Would I want the massive additional risk of carrying a gun into a PRIMARY SCHOOL every day of my life and the higher of chance of something bad happening than ever being in that situation in the first place

Then no

The same reason I wouldn[t get a gun for home protection and most dont either, because you will increase your chance of dying if you do

Well I simply don't think the problem can go away. These kids' parents are pro-gun, and that's on both sides of the political divide. Any attempt at a ban or serious gun control would lead to gunstores being sold out and extra guns lying around everywhere.

This guy bought his but so many just steal it from someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Home intruders using a person's gun against them is relatively rare, though obviously a much bigger danger than not having a gun at all.

Nevertheless, students or other faculty may take someone's weapon and use it during an argument. Faculty might use their own weapons in a rage (yes, this has happened). Accidental discharge, misplacing or dropping a weapon is common.

Suicide is the big one though. I'll go back to that same old one. Having access to weapon increases your risk of suicide death dramatically. I highly doubt that any teacher who would carry a gun in school wouldn't have one at home, but it's reckoned anywhere from 25 to 50% of all suicides are spur-of-the-moment. Having a gun on your belt is an obvious risk.

In terms of whether having a gun would give one even an outside fighting chance, the data suggests no; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25910555/

Your odds of being injured, killed or robbed when faced with a criminal are virtually the same whether or not you're carrying a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Hard to argue to with @randd1 above, the USA is in serious trouble

Taken from link below and gives an idea of the level of gun crime. Look at stats for St Louis, Baltimore if you want an eye opener; Baltimore has a smaller population than Dublin with north of 300 homicides a year.

For the USA to emerge from this social decline, it will need strong leadership which has never been less likely with increasing polarisation over the past decade with the liberal party never more diverse and unsure of itself and the conservative party hamstrung by years of Trump, Christian right and QAnon's growing influence.

if your kids steals your gun and shoots someone, then off to jail with you, you can share a cell

there are only so many guns in the gun stores to sell out, what then

You start now, it could take 20 years to change it

My idea early in this thread was to maybe have gun safes in each classroom that can be opened remotely in an emergency. Like by the principal, police, or head of security say. So from the get go, I have not been in support of teachers having carrying their guns all the time, but am quite in favour of them having access to them in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

ALL that will happen is that the teacher (that easy to pick out adult amongst a load of kids) will get targeted first.

If a crazy killer armed with several guns and a load of ammo goes into a school to kill people, he'll shoot the obvious danger to himself before going about his task of killing the unarmed. Any adult will just be shot.

"Arm the teacher" is a load of crap.

Just make efforts to not arm the crazy killer in the first place.

Unsurprisingly it was incredibly embarrassing from Cruz. The gun lovers in the US just can't stand up to proper journalists on these topics. US ones let them ramble on and don't ask follow up questions.

The go to trying to turn questioning a policy he supports as being 'politics' is also infuriatingly common

Hey, like I said in a previous post, I'm not against psychological testing. I just think it might be a bit impractical. I like your idea about someone being tested if they are flagged. That makes sense.

I'm always in favour of safety training when it comes to guns. I think it should be mandatory.

We have some common ground.

There's probably a decent argument to made that shooters would be less likely to target a school if they knew every teacher was armed along with the on-campus police. But I'm not in favour of arming every teacher.

this is as stupid as locking your home defense weapon in a safe

look you have run with this for a while, you know its stupid, like fighting fire with fire

jaysus, revoking if red flags are raised is the obvious thing to do, make it a pain that only those serious about it would entertain

• Advertisement

But that isn't stupid. Loads of Americans have successfully protected their homes after taking their gun from their safe. There were 40 minutes apparently where the police were outside. In that time, every teacher would have a gun in their class from their remotely opened gun safe.

But yeah, I'm done here for now.

Interesting to see some online comments heading in the inevitable direction when all other strands in a solution are blocked off. The US is a few steps away from a conflagration.

Far more feasible to bring in such laws than to "fix" broken people and broken cultures. What's clear is that whatever America and Republicans think is being done to "fix" the mass shooting problem, is at best not helping at all, but in all likelihood is making it worse.

There are no easy fixes here, but there are things that can be done with literally no more than the stroke of a pen.

The US spends nearly a trillion dollars every year on their military.

They could use half of that money to introduce tougher gun laws and go in hard on enforcement and still have the largest military budget in the world by a large margin.

There is nothing difficult about better gun laws in the US except for the scumbags standing in the way of it.

like even needing to have a head of security is a failure

you see this of course

The reality is the safe is such a bad solution that people leaves guns in places kids get them and well bang bang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Although definitions of defensive gun use vary, it is generally defined as the use of a firearm to protect and defend oneself, family, other people, and/or property against crime or victimization.

Estimates of defensive gun use vary depending on the questions asked, populations studied, timeframe, and other factors related to study design. Given the wide variability in estimates, additional research is necessary to understand defensive gun use prevalence, frequency, circumstances, and outcomes.

CDC don't publish statistics on defensive gun use. Where are you getting your information from? Gun homicides amount to around 20K a year.

"The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year."

Consistent with other recent survey research, the survey finds an overall rate of adult firearm ownership of 31.9%, suggesting that in excess of 81.4 million Americans aged 18 and over own firearms. The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Except there isn't really. If you think arming Mrs. O'Brien or Mr. Swanson with a 9mm pistol to face off against someone armed with something like an AR15, hundreds of rounds of 5.56 (or whatever his guns were chambered with) and a willingness to kill anyone who was in sight (including 5 year olds) is a better argument than bringing in proper legislation to restrict the sale of guns to people who shouldn't have them, then I just don't what to say you.

"Arm the teacher" is a load of crap, because all that will happen is that any adult that the shooter sees will be eliminated before they even have the chance to find the key that unlocks the gun safe.

And bear in mind, most of these active shooters don't want to escape. So arming the teacher won't act as a deterrent in any case.

The adult firearm ownership figure in the US is likely higher than that quoted figure of 31.9% as many people will own a gun and not admit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on the AR15 is closer to a military grade weapon than what you could lay your hands on here.

It is semi auto, takes a 20 or 30 round magazine.

The Colt AR15, and all it's relatives, grew out of the Stoner's Armalite AR10 that eventually morphed into the M16 that was standard issue for US forces and many others around the world for decades.

If you are arguing it is not military grade just because it doesn't have selective fire modes (three round burst or full auto), then I could argue that most standard infantry weapons in WW2 and before did not have selective or automatic fire capabilities.

And AR-15 variants can even take a Nato 5.56 round even though a lot seem to be for .223 rounds.

For instance the infamous Busmaster XM-15 can take the NATO 5.56 round

Mind telling me what bolt action rifles are indistinguishable from an AR-15 type weapon ?

What bolt action rifles have gas operated

I am not allowed discuss …

Any gun licensing system should have a "black card" system whereby certain qualified individuals can make a protected disclosure that they are concerned about a gun owner's state of mind. This would result in the owner's licence being instantly suspended and their weapons confiscated pending a review.

A "qualified" individual obviously not being any randomer, but a cop, doctor, psychologist, parent or child, etc.

• Advertisement

It is common ground for the majority of the public - it is the gun nuts and lobby who are too powerful beyond their size who are stopping it and continuing to do nothing while little children are murdered so they don't have to deal with minor inconvenience or a potential slight drop in profits.

Advertisement