Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I gave you a link above which tells you this isn't true. There is no indication that having a gun in any way makes you more successful at defending your home, and lots of data that tells you that having a gun in your home is many, many times more likely to result in you or a family member being killed or seriously injured.

The data has been out there for years. Honestly, anyone who voluntarily keeps a gun in their home, knowing these facts, is an idiot. The equivalent of someone who still smokes because they think i's good for them.

If you like hunting, sport shooting, whatever, then statistically the smartest thing you can do is store it outside of your home, locked, unloaded and preferably dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Worse still you are epxected to go fight and die for your country liek a lot of Vietnam War conscripts.

And if you did survive your tour of duty, you couldn't buy a beer when you got home.

I have known professional pilots who are allowed fly paying passengers in multi engine aircraft, but yet can't go in and buy a drink for themselves.

Fooking moronic country.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Gun homicides amount to around 20K a year.

"The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year."

The facts are not on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You've provided no evidence that the use of weapons made any difference in any of these incidents.

The facts are not on your side. People who are armed are no more successful at defending their property or themselves than people who are unarmed.

• Advertisement

where does it refute what he said

there are nearly 20k deaths in the US from guns already in 2022 and its only may

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You provided no data whatsoever other than your false opinion. Here , once more...

Gun homicides amount to around 20K a year.

"The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year."

The facts are not on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Don’t get me wrong, I’m realistic about the complexities of ridding American society of this plague of arms. There are so many weapons sloshing around the place — and so many people who think having their guns taken from them is the precursor to the rise of a paedophilic reptilian race of woke communist Lefty Lizardpeople wearing suits and rubber mask disguises — that the issue is deeply embedded and will take many years to disentangle.

But to make it work you first require rationality and moral courage. There are plenty of American officials and political folk who should, and do, know better — but they lack the courage to risk the censure of their supporters by advocating reason over exuberant conspiracy theorising and paranoia. They simply parrot what their supporters say, and show no leadership in challenging it. That’s a problem all over the world of course, but a huge part of the intractability of the gun problem in America.

The problem is that there is no requisite appetite in certain quarters to even attempt to address the problem and unravel some of the narratives that make the problem seem more unsolvable than it might otherwise be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'll agree, it's closer to a military grade weapon but my point stands, it isn't a military grade weapon. By the way, you can licence AR15s here in Ireland. You can also get 10 round magazines for them here. In fact, it's illegal to use a 20 or 30 round magazine in one here in Ireland.

People continually say that the AR15 is a military grade firearm yet I don't know of any armies that they are issued to. Open to correction here obviously. They certainly aren't commonly issued to soldiers.

You are correct about the WWII guns mostly being semi-auto and not fully-auto or burst fire but you are talking about technology that's over 80 years old. Military technology has moved on. I don't understand the hate for the AR15 when there are hundreds of other guns that do exactly the same job and they aren't vilified in the slightest, e.g. Ruger Mini 14.

Regarding your question on bold action rifles, some AR15's come as a straight pull. They act similarly to a bolt action. The Ruger Precision is bolt action and to the untrained eye it might look like an AR15. In other words it's a scary black gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If there were universal health care in the US, death by guns would drop. First of all, the rise in suicide is impacting older males as they lose jobs, and as such, health care. This is something Irish in Ireland I don't think can fathom; if you lose your job in the US, you're not guaranteed any health care unless you go the absurdly low poverty line and face enormous bills. At "best" you can get emergency care, so you have to wait for that long. Lots of suicides by handgun as a result.

And the joke is, "You know what they call a millionaire in the US? 1 medical crises from poverty." Consider all the unvaxxed and what they run up in Covid hospital and pharmecutical care. On average, $20,000, and I wonder about that number, seems very low. But, poverty, crashed self esteem, anger at the 'other' stoked by various media... sure, beat the kid up a bit and kick him out. He'll be fine. Oh look, he's borrowed money to buy that nice AK-47 knockoff he saw on 'gunbroker.com.' No problem, he's 18.

But, take sonny to the shrink when he's been playing House of the Dead for 48 straight hours and lives in the basement (like the Buffalo shooter did, the basement bit anyway.) Can't afford it. Therapy? Nope. Nada. Be lucky to know where the next meal is coming from.

Likewise, the loss of 'good jobs' (thank you, Clintons and NAFTA) led to a plummeting self-esteem and as such more suicides.

There's just so much good to come with a single payer program in the US. Won't happen, you can't have nice things in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

10 years old for god sake, life is not fair no kid in the world should feel unsafe in school.

I'd guess they are paranoid and afraid that the Government are coming to get their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

The gunman confronted armed police first before even entering the school.

School is supposed to be a safe environment where children learn and play with their friends. I'm not sure I would like armed police or teachers at my son/daughters school that would just make the situation more intense and probably have an impact on their education let alone mental health seeing armed people walking around. The real way to "protect" them is to have common sense gun laws were people have to go through rigorous background checks in order to obtain weapons. I'm not sure quite frankly why anybody needs an Automatic Rifle in this day and age specially an 18 year old.

Post edited by Mr_Jacko on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

That number is comical. Are they counting someone was looking shifty till they saw I had a gun or is the US effectively an active war zone at the moment?

maybe people are the problem

anyway, its a bit of a guess and probably offset by people pretending to have guns and to have used them to make themselves sound cooler than they are

@jmayo wrote:

Ah come on the AR15 is closer to a military grade weapon than what you could lay your hands on here.

I've got into this before with Americans and really any AR-15 style guns are just pretty normal mid-range hunting rifles in a macho package.

It's a VW Golf with the "sports" upgrade; bigger wheels, fancy skirts and a spoiler, fancy badge and a loud exhaust. It doesn't perform particularly well, certainly nowhere near an actual rally car, but it strokes the owner's ego and makes them feel like Billy Big Balls.

In the debate around weapons, it's a bit of a misdirection, as any similar rifle is just as dangerous even though they don't make the owner feel like Rambo.

they didn't mention it was mostly the same guy responsible for all the successful defending

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be honest it's too late.

The effort should be around not having a armed lunatic in the school in the first place.

Arming teachers or retrofitting Schools at Military bunkers isn't a solution - At best it's a mitigation ,but it is absolutely categorically NOT a solution.

I find it hard to believe you can license one here.

Aren't you and others complaining that it is impossible to license anything here bar the bare minimum ?

And I never said WW2 standard issued infantry weapons were semi auto and you are factually incorrect when you state mostly semi auto weapons.

The standard British, Soviet, French, German and Japanese infantry weapon in WW2 was a bolt action rifle.

The Americans had the M1 and M1 carbine, but they were the unique ones.

And no counter to Hollywood war movies, the vast vast majority of infantry didn't normally have MP38s, Stens, Thompsons, etc.

Also the Ruger precision like almost all bolt aciton rifles has a dirty big bolt sticking out the side of it.

Yeah it has a pistol grip, the fancy barrel housing and a magazine, but anyone with basic knowledge would spot the bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

These are laughable citations.

One claims 12 examples 'prove' arming civilians make situations safer (unsurprising 1+1=7 claim coming from the heritage foundation cesspit).

The other is a survey of gun owners admit that in over 80% of the times they claimed guns helped them no shot was fired. There is no evidence that the gun was of any benefit - it is all their 'feelings' again. It also admits that only a quarter were even in their own home, usually where one would claim the need to defend themselves (rather than escalating the situation). The evidence you're pointing to shows that guns are rarely shown to be any benefit nor used in situations where there is a true threat as most would perceive it. I'd also argue that a survey that shows an average gun owner having 5 guns would not be representative of a teacher in a classroom using a gun in self defense against someone with an AR15.

This isn't a dig at you but most people wouldn't spot the bolt. Most people who know anything about guns would spot it (obviously you have some knowledge) but most of the public wouldn't. They don't have any basic knowledge about guns other than 'they're bad'. They'd just see the scary black gun.

You can get an AR15 on a restricted licence here. I'm telling the truth.

I haven't argued that it's impossible to licence anything here bar the bare minimum. I do think we are too restrictive in many respects. We can't licence centrefire pistols for target shooting here yet they are widely available in the North. We can't reload ammo here yet pretty much every country in Europe allows this. I have said our sport is under attack through death by 1000 cuts, and I stand by that statement.

Ah come on anything with semi auto, that can take a military round or bigger, and has a 30 round magazine is not a fooking hunting weapon.

Well unless you count hunting people.

And your comparison to dollied up golf is wrong.

An AR15 is equivalent to an old Group N Rally car like the Scoobies or Lancer versions.

It is not quite the real thing, but it is reasonably close.

Ah but it is not military grade they argue because it has not been adpated by any current military.

Yet it is way more capable than what was a standard military grade weapon from 60 odd years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You've not convinced me. America is a dump in my view.

You've a very bad view of gun owners.

According to you, if you don't want laws changed, you're a scumbag. If you want an AR15, you are Rambo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Ffs…put some crying people on the tv, that will fix everything.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

Don't usually agree with the man or have that much time for him, but I do like his video about this horrible tragedy

https://youtu.be/uFNYDVYxAuU

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Stretch the patriot act over gun ownership, if your a gun owner you're defined as a domestic terrorist, and have 30 days to hand over your guns, after that it's 20 years in a dark hole, there, fixed.

NOOOOOOOOO! its a conspiracy of some kinds right

• Advertisement

Advertisement